PDA

View Full Version : who's the better band?

wwefan007
06-24-2012, 03:59 PM
me & my cousin are arguing who do you think is the better band the Jackson 5 or the Beatles?

Robstar
06-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Well The Jackson 5 were more of a group, in that they didn't really have a hand in the creative process and were more performers than anything. Which has it's own merit. The Beatles were predominantly creative, even going so far as to retire from live performing some time before they broke up. So it's apples and pineapples really - two very different things. Both good, both classic - it's just personal preference

Robstar
06-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Its defiantly The Beatles. They had a bigger influence on pop-culture and even that is an understatement. I like the Jackson 5 but The Beatles were revolutionary, the Jackson 5 weren't.

Defiantly?

Poot-Hair
06-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Sheesh Robstar, after looking at you signature...I only thought Rick Steiner was the Dog Faced Gremlin :D

On topic. The Beatles hands down. I actually like J5 but the Beatles have them beat to me

Robstar
06-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Sheesh Robstar, after looking at you signature...I only thought Rick Steiner was the Dog Faced Gremlin :D

On topic. The Beatles hands down. I actually like J5 but the Beatles have them beat to me

Poot gonna get banned!!! ;)

Poot-Hair
06-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Poot gonna get banned!!! ;)NOOOOOO not the hefty banhammer of hate and doom!! *cowers in fear, poops, smells said poop, passes out, wakes up, smells poop again, then blames someone else*

Asherdelampyr
06-24-2012, 11:44 PM
The Beatles had a larger influence on music as a whole. that nets them a clean 50 points for posterity

The Jackson 5 showed us what testosterone-blocking drugs and a psychotic fanbase can turn a pre-teen into. that gives them the PSA bonus of 50 points.

The Beatles convinced at least one psychotic megalomaniac to try and start a "Race war" in the stupidest possible manor - 10 bloody points

The Jackson 5 launched Janet's career, which had many years of her being way too damn hot - 50 sexy points

The Beatles reinvented the "Rockstar entrance" complete with screaming fangirls and that walk from the plane on the tarmac that so many other bands have tried to duplicate - 50 screaming points.

The Beatles win, by 10 points. This was a close one ladies and gentlemen, it really could have gone either way.

Robstar
06-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Lol Asher, well done. Shall we move onto the next round?

Ok my turn - who's better - Fleetwood Mac or The B-52's?

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Lol Asher, well done. Shall we move onto the next round?

Ok my turn - who's better - Fleetwood Mac or The B-52's?
Ok, let's do this (Yeah, I am really that fucking bored)

the B-52s, had Cowbell as an official instrument in their lineup (Fred played the cowbell professionally for many years, we are told) so that gives them 10 Christopher Walken points, which are worth 50 normal points.

Fleetwood Mac gave us Stevie Nicks, who was able to somehow work her devil-woman magic and convince goth girls that scarves and flowing clothing were much better looking that dressing like an overstuffed sausage (She was totally right) so they get 50 fashionista points.

The B-52s gave us "Love Shack" a song that it is impossible to fail at singing, no matter how drunk you are, so they get 50 karaoke points.

Fleetwood Mac was able to roll with multiple members leaving, and actually managed to keep somewhat successful and reinvent their sound. so they get 50 AO points (Adapt and overcome)

The B-52s attracted me to quirky, geeky girls at a young age, indirectly leading to my first marriage and subsequent divorce 11 months later. so they get -100 points.

Fleetwood Mac wins by a landslide
Bob: Well I guess that's what happens when the judge is a biased son of a bitch
Asher: shut the fuck up Bob

Robstar
06-25-2012, 01:32 AM
Hmmmm, that don't add up *scratches head*

OK, while we're here, let's go again (a hard one) - Queen or Led Zeppelin?

(Very funny by the way Asher;))

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Hmmmm, that don't add up *scratches head*

OK, while we're here, let's go again (a hard one) - Queen or Led Zeppelin?

(Very funny by the way Asher;))

It totally adds up Fleetwood mac ended with 100 points, and the B-52s had 0 points :)

This one is a tough one.

Queen gave those of us in the CCL the wonderful "Fat bottomed girls", so thats 10 April Flores's or 100 points.

Led Zepplin gave us Stairway to heaven, quite possibly the most requested song of the 70s for radio stations everywhere, so they get 100 points for being cool enough to make a song about a woman thinking money was the root of all happiness into something that straight guys would admit to loving.

Queen gave us Bohemian Rhapsody, a song so good that it is still the only part of "Wayne's World" that I remember, They get 100 points, but there is a penalty of 50 points for being tied to an SNL movie.

Led Zepplin gave us an amazing blues-vibe in our rock, something that would not be done nearly that well for quite some time, so they get 100 points

Queen gave gay people around the world an anthem that didn't try to make them spell anything, so they get 100 points

Led Zepplin fucked a groupie with a shark, (allegedly) quite possibly the sickest thing a band has done to a Groupie until Marilyn Manson came along (He brought devices, not allegedly) 50 points

Queen perfected the art of changing a song's beat and time signature partway through, then changing it again. 100 points for musical ability.

Led Zepplin set an attendance record for the largest attendace to that date for a single act show, which I believes still stands, and over 70 people were arrested out of about 1000 that tried to gate-crash (probably because the tickets were fucking gone by that point) so they get 100 points.

Freddy Mercury literally tore his throat up singing when he had AIDS, and still made a kick-ass song, so that nets them 100 points and my fervent belief that Freddy was the original gay superman.

Led Zepplin has been credited with influencing Black Sabbath as well as Rush and Queen, so that gives them a sweet 200 points, and the victory.

Robstar
06-25-2012, 02:08 AM
It totally adds up Fleetwood mac ended with 100 points, and the B-52s had 0 points :)

This one is a tough one.

Queen gave those of us in the CCL the wonderful "Fat bottomed girls", so thats 10 April Flores's or 100 points.

Led Zepplin gave us Stairway to heaven, quite possibly the most requested song of the 70s for radio stations everywhere, so they get 100 points for being cool enough to make a song about a woman thinking money was the root of all happiness into something that straight guys would admit to loving.

Queen gave us Bohemian Rhapsody, a song so good that it is still the only part of "Wayne's World" that I remember, They get 100 points, but there is a penalty of 50 points for being tied to an SNL movie.

Led Zepplin gave us an amazing blues-vibe in our rock, something that would not be done nearly that well for quite some time, so they get 100 points

Queen gave gay people around the world an anthem that didn't try to make them spell anything, so they get 100 points

Led Zepplin fucked a groupie with a shark, (allegedly) quite possibly the sickest thing a band has done to a Groupie until Marilyn Manson came along (He brought devices, not allegedly) 50 points

Queen perfected the art of changing a song's beat and time signature partway through, then changing it again. 100 points for musical ability.

Led Zepplin set an attendance record for the largest attendace to that date for a single act show, which I believes still stands, and over 70 people were arrested out of about 1000 that tried to gate-crash (probably because the tickets were fucking gone by that point) so they get 100 points.

Freddy Mercury literally tore his throat up singing when he had AIDS, and still made a kick-ass song, so that nets them 100 points and my fervent belief that Freddy was the original gay superman.

Led Zepplin has been credited with influencing Black Sabbath as well as Rush and Queen, so that gives them a sweet 200 points, and the victory.

Ok I didn't see that they were minus points. :)

Mmmmmm, April Flores. I have you and your wife to thank for showing me her. Which reminds me.....I have to search for movies. ;)

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying so I'll allow you to continue. :D (Pssssst it's spelled ZEPPELIN)

OK, next round - Van Halen or Guns N Roses?

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 02:11 AM
Ok I didn't see that they were minus points. :)

Mmmmmm, April Flores. I have you and your wife to thank for showing me her. Which reminds me.....I have to search for movies. ;)

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying so I'll allow you to continue. :D (Pssssst it's spelled ZEPPELIN)

OK, next round - Van Halen or Guns N Roses?

damn their spelling!
yeah, April Flores is by far my favorite redhead, and I don't care if the hair is natural or not, the rest of her is ;)

what was going on again?

Robstar
06-25-2012, 02:31 AM
damn their spelling!
yeah, April Flores is by far my favorite redhead, and I don't care if the hair is natural or not, the rest of her is ;)

what was going on again?

Yes. So much real. *bliss*

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 02:34 AM
Yes. So much real. *bliss*
thought about changing my signature pic to her, but I couldn't find a pic that didn't break either decency standards or the pixel limit

akbar
06-25-2012, 02:45 AM
Oasis or Nirvana

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 02:59 AM
Guns N' Roses gave us Slash, probably the best guitarist of the 80s and 90s, with a styly that is just awesome. so they get 100 points

Van Halen's debut album went Diamond, which I didn't know was a possibility, but they sold over 10 million copies by 1996, which means that not only were they popular, but that they actually transcended generations. 100 points

Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction was the best selling debut album of all time in the U.S. so they get 100 points, spread out evenly between red, white, and blue.

Van Halen influenced basically everyone who ever wanted to go into rock, and did it with class. so 500 points.

Guns N' Roses were once known as "The Most Dangerous Band in the world" which is a heavy title for a band where nobody even spits fire or anything, which nets them another 100 points.

Van Halen fired David Lee Roth for being too poppy, so they replaced him with Sammy Hagar, which makes little to no sense. that will cost them. -100 points.

Guns N' Roses introduced a frontman that was such a d-bag that I honestly went years thinking it was a gimmick, unfortunatly for all of us, it was not. 50 points since the rest of the band realized that and got out when the getting was good.

Van Halen managed to actually handle splitting with Roth, then Hagar, then Roth again with a rather surprising amount of decorum, unheard of nowadays, so they get a classy 50 points (it would be more, but Sammy Hagar is horrible)

Guns N' Roses managed to release a cover of a Rolling Stones song that I actually liked better than the original (and I love the Stones so much I can't compare them to another band like this) Sympathy for the Devil. 100 points.

with a final score of

Van Halen 550

Guns N' Roses 450

Van Halen walks away with the victory, another in a long, long list of accomplishments.

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 03:00 AM
Oasis or Nirvana
I cannot honestly compare the two given my personal feelings that Kurt Cobain was one of the worst things to ever happen to music.

Robstar
06-25-2012, 03:04 AM
Roth is still in the band!

Ok here's a tricky one - Deep Purple or Def Leppard?

(I was going to do a Metallica one but I cannot think of another band that would give them a run in terms of longevity and genre-crossing. Thanks for letting me off with that Stones comment btw)

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 03:07 AM

(I was going to do a Metallica one but I cannot think of another band that would give them a run in terms of longevity and genre-crossing. Thanks for letting me off with that Stones comment btw)

No, Roth is back in the band, it's a subtle difference.
no problem, the Stones are still my favorite group of all time, they are incomparable :)

Robstar
06-25-2012, 03:07 AM
I cannot honestly compare the two given my personal feelings that Kurt Cobain was one of the worst things to ever happen to music.

Cobain/Gallagher....meh, eh? I think maybe if Kurt had done something great, like you know LIVED and not DIED he may have done something earth shattering. Or he might not have. Tough call.

Robstar
06-25-2012, 03:12 AM
No, Roth is back in the band, it's a subtle difference.
no problem, the Stones are still my favorite group of all time, they are incomparable :)

What's your favourite era/lineup?

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 03:14 AM
Cobain/Gallagher....meh, eh? I think maybe if Kurt had done something great, like you know LIVED and not DIED he may have done something earth shattering. Or he might not have. Tough call.

I see him as a mediocre guitarist with an OK voice and talented band mates. If he hadn't died they would have been a flash in the pan, his death somehow (Through voodoo I am sure) made rational people who had heard actually great guitarists believe that he was the greatest musician of his age, which is total bullshit, and that he somehow invented grunge, which is of course, also bullshit.

I will say however that if I ever met Dave Grohl, I would mark the fuck out, The Foo fighters proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was the most talented guy in Nirvana, and would have become a famous musician with or without them.

akbar
06-25-2012, 03:18 AM
Well I guess Oasis wins.

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 03:24 AM
What's your favourite era/lineup?

Now that is a tough fucking question, I am of the opinion that if Brian Jones had been able to clean his act up that they wouldn't have had so many replacements later on, and would have reached even greater heights, so I am going to have to go with the original lineup, and all the bluesiness therein.
though my favorite Stones song currently is a lot newer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raicBHtOa9k

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 03:31 AM

for the record, I would consider Deep Purple worthy competition to Metallica looking at bands influenced, though they did not have the longevity. They inspired pretty much anyone else who ever wanted to pick up music of any genre

Robstar
06-25-2012, 03:50 AM
I think Purple is still going

Robstar
06-25-2012, 03:51 AM
OK, I thought of a good one - Metallica or The Beastie Boys?

akbar
06-25-2012, 03:55 AM
Deep purple is from the area where my university is and the people there love to tell you about it. Just saying

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 04:23 AM
OK, I thought of a good one - Metallica or The Beastie Boys?

That is a good one...

Ladies and Gentlemen, Our Main Event for the Evening!

The Beastie Boys vs Metallica!

Beastie Boys proved that white guys can, every once in a while, actually rap well. so they get 100 points

Metallica managed to be the "Jock band" and yet still create massively complex songs, with lyrics that actually had meaning, without going full out Prog-rock, which nets them 100 points.

Beastie Boys was one of the first bands to sign with the now Legendary Rick Ruben, who produces fucking masterpieces wherever he goes. (Fun fact, he was originally their D.J.) 100 points.

Metallica had 5 consecutive albums debut as no 1 on the Billboard chart, a feat that is almost impossible to duplicate, and was even harder for a band that wasn't at all pop. 500 points.

Beastie Boys released "Licence to Ill" which should be required listening for everybody on earth, at least once. They made money off of teen angst before it was popular. 800 points.

Metallica released "Ride The Lightening" which should be required when purchasing any guitar, bass or drum kit. 100 points

Beastie Boys have managed to remain not just popular, but completely respected for the majority of their career, a rare feat 100 points.

Metallica has influenced rock bands all around the world, and continues to do so to this day, 400 points.

Beastie Boys started doing hip-hop after a song made about a prank phone call. thats 50 weird beginning points (Though, tbh, the stuff they did when they were trying to be all punk rock was just... off)

Metallica did S&M, which is probably one of the best collaborations between any band and a mainstream symphony 100 points.

Both groups are still selling their debut albums even after 31 years, 500 points each.

The final totals:

Beastie Boys: 1650

Metallica: 1700

The Winners, and new EWN Music Champions of the World Are..... METALLICA!!!!!

(I want to be clear here, I have no idea when I start these who is going to win, and the points are all based on how important I feel something is.)

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 04:23 AM
I think Purple is still going
not really, I mean, they may do the odd appearance here and there, but they aren't making new music (as far as I know)

Robstar
06-25-2012, 04:49 AM
Lmao Asher. Bravo. For the record, I believe that BB only flirted with some punk tunes. Forgiveable. I remember having my copy of Licence To Ill while wearing a Vision Street Wear shirt and watching Bones Brigade videos in 1987. Good times. *sigh*

Ok I'm going to line up a few for when you get time;

Bruce Springsteen or Tom Petty or John(ny) (Cougar) Mellencamp? - 3 way dance

The Doors or The Grateful Dead?

Lenny Kravitz or The Black Crowes?

Red Hot Chili Peppers or Pearl Jam?

Devo or Duran Duran?

Sink your teeth into those!

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 04:53 AM
Lmao Asher. Bravo. For the record, I believe that BB only flirted with some punk tunes. Forgiveable. I remember having my copy of Licence To Ill while wearing a Vision Street Wear shirt and watching Bones Brigade videos in 1987. Good times. *sigh*

Devo or Duran Duran?

Sink your teeth into those!

actually, in like 80 or 81 when they first came out, they were a hardcore punk band. MCA played Bass, and Mike D was on Vocals,
Ad-Rock was not a part of this incarnation, they got him later.

I'll probably do those tomorrow night, unless I forget,
one hour and 8 minutes left on my shift, I should probably pretend like I'm working at least

Robstar
06-25-2012, 04:58 AM
Oh shit, yeah you're right. I thought that it was something they toyed with later but I do remember learning that little fact somewhere, sometime and then misplacing it. :p Ad-Rock would have been what, 12 then? lol

Asherdelampyr
06-25-2012, 04:59 AM
Oh shit, yeah you're right. I thought that it was something they toyed with later but I do remember learning that little fact somewhere, sometime and then misplacing it. :p Ad-Rock would have been what, 12 then? lol

like 12 or 16, hell I am not sure any of them were 21 yet

Tommy Thunder
06-25-2012, 07:49 AM
The Beatles.

Not really a contest. They innovated music and paved the way for bands ahead of them.
After studying them in university for a year, I could go into detail, but I'd be here all day dissecting them lol!

The J5 were good, no doubt, but they were no Beatles.

Robstar
06-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Come on Asher, I bet you're not doing much else ;)

Asherdelampyr
06-26-2012, 05:01 AM
Come on Asher, I bet you're not doing much else ;)

Actually I had real work to do, I just got done resetting about 15 routers and dealing with failure alerts from 28 ATMs (bad switch on our end caused shit to just go nuts here for a bit)

but I may be able to do one more before my hour is up and I get to go home and find pictures of some of my favorite alternative models for the hottest woman thread... Though I may need to clear something up with you on that before some of the pics get posted.

Asherdelampyr
06-26-2012, 05:50 AM
And here we are:

Three way dance between Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen and John "Cougar" Mellencamp for the calming stonerweight championship of the world!!!!!

(Seriously, try and get stoned and listen to any of these three guys. Before you know it, it's Sunday and you've been sitting on your couch long enough that the cushion is permanently squashed, Sleepy Loco knows)

Tom Petty brought us American Girl, a song used for the "Female transformation" montage in many shows, (Though my personal favorite was when Scrubs did it) so they get 100 estrogen points.

Bruce Springsteen made a heartfelt song about how shitty our soldiers were being treated that was done with a level of satire so thick that Ronald Reagan actually stole it to use as his campaign song, despite the fact that it basically railed agaisnt everything he was for. 100 Colbert points.

John Mellencamp created "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County" with horror Icon Stephen King. I have not seen it, but my friends that have say it's fucking awesome, so 100 points.

Tom Petty has had no issue with any artist using parts of his work to make their own, even defending RHCP over the controversy surrounding "Dani California" (some claimed that they took "Mary Jane's last dance" to make it, but that is pure bullshit) so he gets 700 points for helping to encourage artistic freedom. (In fact, the quote below was from when he was asked about it in an interview with Rolling Stone)

"I seriously doubt that there is any negative intent there. And a lot of rock 'n' roll songs sound alike. Ask Chuck Berry. The Strokes took 'American Girl' for their song '[Last Nite]', and I saw an interview with them where they actually admitted it. That made me laugh out loud. I was like, 'OK, good for you' ... If someone took my song note for note and stole it maliciously, then maybe [I'd sue]. But I don't believe in lawsuits much. I think there are enough frivolous lawsuits in this country without people fighting over pop songs." (Seriously, how cool is he?)

Bruce Springsteen is known for encouraging his fans to donate to food banks, and then matches whatever they donate. 500 points for putting his money where his mouth is.

John mellencamp performed for the troops at the Walter Reed Medical center, even after they wouldn't let his friend (Singer and activist Joan Baez, google her) come with
600 points for not letting politics interfere with supporting injured soldiers.

Tom Petty actually turned a girl into a cake and ate her, in one of the weirdest music videos I have ever seen, 100 crazy points.

Bruce Springsteen has had at least 3 films created that were inspired by his music, something I didn't know happened. 200 points.

John Mellencamp has been performing since 1976 and still hasn't lost a step 100 points

Tom Petty proved that you don't have to be handsome, or even moderately good looking to be a successful musician 900 points.

Bruce Springsteen has won 21 grammy awards (by far the most out of the three) 200 points.

John Mellencamp made "Rodeo Clown" probably the best song I have ever heard that was written just to bash a politician. 100 points.

Your Totals are!!!!!

Tom Petty 1100

Bruce Springsteen 1000

John Mellencamp 900

and the winner and new champion is..... TOM FUCKING PETTY!!!!!

Robstar
06-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Sure what's the beef? ;)

Robstar
06-26-2012, 06:11 AM
Ok that was a close race and all those guys seem pretty fucking awesome (something I was and am more so aware of now). Good work Asher - A+

Asherdelampyr
06-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Ok that was a close race and all those guys seem pretty fucking awesome (something I was and am more so aware of now). Good work Asher - A+

I'll be honest, it was really really difficult to keep that one fair, since I almost hero-worship Tom Petty, and happen to think that Mellencamp is a d-bag.

Asherdelampyr
06-28-2012, 08:11 AM
As a bonus, I found the video he eats the girl in :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvF9vpqx8

Wade Barrett 1979
06-28-2012, 08:15 AM
This thread is all kinds of good shit!

Good work AsherD!

HolyJose2391
06-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Asher as a personal thing for me. Backstreet Boys vs Nsync I'd like to see your commentary on that

Robstar
06-28-2012, 02:57 PM
I'll be honest, it was really really difficult to keep that one fair, since I almost hero-worship Tom Petty, and happen to think that Mellencamp is a d-bag.

I was a big fan of JCM and then I read a biography on him. He sure didn't get the nickname 'Little Bastard' for nothing

Pumpkinhead
06-28-2012, 03:02 PM
So.... Pearl Jam or Soundgarden???

Robstar
06-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Get in line fellas, I still have these lined up;

Devo or Duran Duran?

;) (I thought RHCP were a better fit than Soundgarden, since they have both been constantly going and releasing albums. If I was to put Soundgarden up against anyone, I'd probably choose Alice In Chains)

Yes2J
07-04-2012, 04:53 AM
So.... Pearl Jam or Soundgarden???
Oh, Christ!

Here's my take on this ever-lasting debate:
In the 90s, they were both red hot. They actually started off on equal footing as well when Temple of the Dog formed. This featured both Cornell and Vedder on vocals, though Cornell was more of the lead vocal. (More to come in a bit, as it is really late, and I am really busy tomorrow and am tired lol)

JessiDeathBat
07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Well gee, I'm not sure I'm fond of either. The Jackson 5 as a whole were not very good but when Michael branched out he certainly made some good music so for that reason and that reason alone I'll go with Them.

Asherdelampyr
07-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Coming Soon!
The Doors vs The Grateful Dead

Robstar
07-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Yes! I'll keep my mushrooms handy for that one