PDA

View Full Version : Why is Jerry Lawler still a commentator?

Callum
06-20-2012, 05:16 PM
He's stated many times that he doesn't enjoy commentating and his lack of enthusiasm comes across during Raw. Both Jim Ross and William Regal enjoy commentating, are enthusiastic and know all the moves. I've been particularly impressed with William Regal recently because you can really tell he enjoys watching the matches.

(Does anyone know when the new Nxt starts - the one with all the Fcw'ers. I probably missed the report or something)

bearkg88
06-20-2012, 05:18 PM
He's stated many times that he doesn't enjoy commentating and his lack of enthusiasm comes across during Raw. Both Jim Ross and William Regal enjoy commentating, are enthusiastic and know all the moves. I've been particularly impressed with William Regal recently because you can really tell he enjoys watching the matches.

(Does anyone know when the new Nxt starts - the one with all the Fcw'ers. I probably missed the report or something)
First, I haven't noticed anythingg as to when it starts. I'd like to know too because I think that would be worth watching.

As for King, well, probably because he needs a job. He probably makes more announcing and doing side shows, then he would if he just did side shows.

Tommy Thunder
06-20-2012, 05:19 PM
I agree that Lawler should step away from the commentary table. I do believe he enjoys it when JR is with him, since them 2 together just work. But Lawler's been stale for a while now. They have 2 excellent color commentators in William Regal and Matt Striker, both of whom are passionate about the business and it translates during their commentary (you get this with Striker particularly, you can tell he really loves wrestling).

The new NXT starts tonight man.

CreatureOfTheNight
06-20-2012, 05:27 PM
I tend to enjoy listening to Lawler a vast majority of the time on commentary, but the one part that absolutely destroyed that was at NO WAY OUT, the crowd is thunderous with a LET'S GO ZIGGLER! chant and he says LISTEN TO THE WWE UNIVERSE, CHANTING LET'S GO SHEAMUS.......are you ********** kidding me?

bearkg88
06-20-2012, 05:35 PM
I agree that Lawler should step away from the commentary table. I do believe he enjoys it when JR is with him, since them 2 together just work. But Lawler's been stale for a while now. They have 2 excellent color commentators in William Regal and Matt Striker, both of whom are passionate about the business and it translates during their commentary (you get this with Striker particularly, you can tell he really loves wrestling).

Woo hoo at the bolded!

Tommy Thunder
06-20-2012, 05:38 PM
I tend to enjoy listening to Lawler a vast majority of the time on commentary, but the one part that absolutely destroyed that was at NO WAY OUT, the crowd is thunderous with a LET'S GO ZIGGLER! chant and he says LISTEN TO THE WWE UNIVERSE, CHANTING LET'S GO SHEAMUS.......are you ********** kidding me?

Keep in mind that there's people (Vince) talking in the commentators ears throughout the show. I'm willing to bet that they told him to do that.

Woo hoo at the bolded!

I know! I'm very exited to see Steamboat, Hero, Rollins and co!!

bearkg88
06-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Keep in mind that there's people (Vince) talking in the commentators ears throughout the show. I'm willing to bet that they told him to do that.

I know! I'm very exited to see Steamboat, Hero, Rollins and co!!

Same here Tommy, I've heard great things about the FCW crew

Lowki
06-20-2012, 06:24 PM

Does it air in the UK tonight mate?

HeelTurn
06-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Lawler has been bad for years now. Most of the commentators are bad these days anyway.

tommytopographic
06-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Lawler has been bad for years now. Most of the commentators are bad these days anyway.

Lawler has not been entertaining for about a decade if not more and every time i watch raw or a ppv these days he comes out with the same old tired cliches and analysis. Humour is a thing sorely missing from commentary these days, although booker does a good job at it, albeit unintentionally.

bearkg88
06-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Lawler has not been entertaining for about a decade if not more and every time i watch raw or a ppv these days he comes out with the same old tired cliches and analysis. Humour is a thing sorely missing from commentary these days, although booker does a good job at it, albeit unintentionally.

I enjoyed Lawler when he was a heel commentator with JR. That was enjoyable

HeelTurn
06-20-2012, 06:48 PM

He worked well as a heel, a lot better than Cole, now he has just become a boring commentator. Sort of the opposite of what Cole did, boring to heel.

SilverGhost
06-20-2012, 07:07 PM
I remember a video on this. I forgot the title but I know that it is on Youtube.

Jerry is there for the money but Vinnie wants him there. Jerry lost motivation YEARS ago. A key factor is that JR is not there. The thing is....Jerry has more than enough money and leave the company. Vinnie is more likely paying him more because, for some reason, Vinnie is scared of Lawler in what he may do. I don't know the full details but the vid explains better...if only I can find it :(

akbar
06-20-2012, 07:38 PM
I remember a video on this. I forgot the title but I know that it is on Youtube.

Jerry is there for the money but Vinnie wants him there. Jerry lost motivation YEARS ago. A key factor is that JR is not there. The thing is....Jerry has more than enough money and leave the company. Vinnie is more likely paying him more because, for some reason, Vinnie is scared of Lawler in what he may do. I don't know the full details but the vid explains better...if only I can find it :(
That was on TVTrax, the video has been deleted though (which is weird) ...but the main reason I remember them saying was that Vince knows if he ever gives the lip to Lawler then he will just walk away straight and quit.

HeelTurn
06-20-2012, 07:41 PM
That was on TVTrax, the video has been deleted though (which is weird) ...but the main reason I remember them saying was that Vince knows if he ever gives the lip to Lawler then he will just walk away straight and quit.

Is that the one where basically Lawler doesn't get fed crap through his headset because he can and will quit, and Vince is scared that Lawler could kick his ass?

SilverGhost
06-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Its a good thing someone knows on that video.

My question would be "What can Jerry really do to Vinnie that makes him scared in the first place?" Jerry has enough money so why continue?

K2Jelly
06-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Yeah. That was pretty stupid. If only someone made a sig out of it. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, I don't think it's fair to have Lawler give up his job regardless of whether or not we think he's stale. He's probably doing it for the money and I'm willing to bet that he gets some enjoyment out of it.

HeelTurn
06-20-2012, 07:44 PM
He is allowed to do indie shows, which in itself is rare, and he may make more money by being a current star, so thats one of the reasons he stayed.

SilverGhost
06-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeah. That was pretty stupid. If only someone made a sig out of it. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, I don't think it's fair to have Lawler give up his job regardless of whether or not we think he's stale. He's probably doing it for the money and I'm willing to bet that he gets some enjoyment out of it.

Other than talking down on Cole, not having the proper partner and motivation I don't see how he gets some enjoyment. The wrestling maybe but not the bs.

K2Jelly
06-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Other than talking down on Cole, not having the proper partner and motivation I don't see how he gets some enjoyment. The wrestling maybe but not the bs.

Well, I did say some ​enjoyment. Not a whole lot but with the way he's been coping with his job, I'm pretty sure that besides the pay, there's one thing about it he enjoys.

akbar
06-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Is that the one where basically Lawler doesn't get fed crap through his headset because he can and will quit, and Vince is scared that Lawler could kick his ass?

Lol Pretty sure it's not that...

Its a good thing someone knows on that video.

My question would be "What can Jerry really do to Vinnie that makes him scared in the first place?" Jerry has enough money so why continue?
Vince might not want to fire him because King gets some media attention? He is a safe option? Mutual respect from something in the past? King might have dirt on him, like a lot and if King is fired, hewill let loose on all radio and sites about the secrets?
or maybe Vince believes King is doing a good job?
Could be any of the reasons...

HeelTurn
06-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Lol Pretty sure it's not that...

Lol thought I had read/heard that somewhere

HCollins-TNA1
06-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Lawler has always been one enjoyable commentator... From his days with Vince and the Jim Ross days even now working with Micheal Cole he still can call a bad match and make it look good.... I think the thing is he is under a long term contract, which insures he will be on RAW until such and such date...

Sad thing I don't think the new NXT going be on??? I think they going be broadcast on local TV in Florida... Though it might be released later on elsewhere??

HCollins-TNA1
06-20-2012, 09:31 PM

Several times Lawler had quit or left for a period of time.... During the WCW Invasion era when Paul Heyman was brought in after ECW went bust one time I remember well.. But of course Vince gave up some big money to get Lawler back!!

tommytopographic
06-21-2012, 05:38 AM

He was great as a heel, but we are going back a long time now. I can only think they haven't got rid of him because there is not many quality commentators around to replace him. One thing he does have on his side is that he has been around that long now he is a part of the fixtures and fittings of Raw, a reassuring prescence if you like, and i suppose Raw without JR or King, even with all his faults, would be a strange place.
Plus i know Vinny is very image conscious and you have to say Lawler looks great for his age, for whatever reason Vince must rate him highly.

Snair
06-21-2012, 05:52 AM
He sounded way better as a heel commentator or as a "Rock" mark but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon due to Cole's presence.

LMPunker
06-21-2012, 06:11 AM
i prefered king as a heelandhe thrived more when wwe was more risque if vinceis going to bring him back after being accused falsely of a horrible crime innocent or not shit tends to stick with some people so the fact that vince brought him back after that i think jerry will leave on his terms and when he leaves i will for one will miss him

akbar
06-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Lol thought I had read/heard that somewhere
Sometimes those radio guys just go off on one and just say the craziest things lol it's still fun to listen to though...

Cabers
06-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Well firstly he might not like it but it is a nice cheque each week!!

Secondly NXT started yesterday i think!