PDA

View Full Version : Tensai and the character

Melevolent 27
06-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Im not a big fan of Albert (Bloom), but I think there some very easy improvement to be had in his character and getting him over with the fans.
1. He has to do some kind of promo, either taped in the back stage or live.
The promo needs to acknowledge who he is/was in the wwe. Scripted something like this:
"When I was in wwe years ago I was Prince Albert-Albert-A-Train-Hip Hop.... (whatever else he was). I was treated like a joke! Then I was fired....(or quit) and I went to Japan and became a legitimate heavyweight threat. (I dont know his list of accomplishments but he needs to list them) I became a Tensi, a walking natural desaster, and now Im back to show all of the wwe universe that I am what my name is and Im coming for the championships that I never had the chance to compete for!

I think this answers the crowd Albert chants, also treats us fans alot better by not expecting us to just forget the past.
It gives the character focus, (something alot of WWE guys lack)

Sage
06-13-2012, 06:55 PM
You know it occurs to me, I don't think iv ever heard albert talk outside of a match.

CricketTragic
06-13-2012, 07:24 PM
You know it occurs to me, I don't think iv ever heard albert talk outside of a match.

I agree with you regarding he needs to cut more promos but I disagree that he needs to acknowledge his past. He is a completely new character. An example of this was when Dr Yankem changed into Kane. Correct me if I am wrong but i do not think anyone ever acknowledged that in the then WWF circles

Viperfish
06-13-2012, 07:36 PM
He may have dropped English as part of his character. If you noticed, when he was beating up on Sakamoto this week he spoke nothing but Japanese. Of course this might be because Sakamoto doesn't speak English, or he just prefers to speak Japanese when he can.

FHJoker
06-13-2012, 07:53 PM
I agree with you regarding he needs to cut more promos but I disagree that he needs to acknowledge his past. He is a completely new character. An example of this was when Dr Yankem changed into Kane. Correct me if I am wrong but i do not think anyone ever acknowledged that in the then WWF circles

I disagree with you about him being a new character. I feel he is an evolution of Albert. The even acknowledge he competed as Albert on his WWE bio, even the commentators mention he competed in the WWE before I think they even mention he was A-Train at one point.

Viperfish
06-13-2012, 09:29 PM
I disagree with you about him being a new character. I feel he is an evolution of Albert. The even acknowledge he competed as Albert on his WWE bio, even the commentators mention he competed in the WWE before I think they even mention he was A-Train at one point.

Correct. It's different. Kane and Isaac Yankem are two different people, period. Yes they were played by the same guy but the two characters have nothing to do with each other in storyline. Tensai is different in that Michael Cole said he competed in WWE before competing in Japan for a few years and now he's back in the WWE(this was either before he debuted or the day of his debut). Technically this would make him the same person in storyline even if the gimmicks are different. Technically this makes him Albert playing the role of Tensai... and I think this is a big reason why the gimmick isn't going over, because it's inconsistent and we're not given an explanation as to why he's Tensai now if in canon he's been acknowleged as Albert. It's poor storytelling.

TheDevilsAdvocate
06-13-2012, 10:23 PM
I fixed the title of the thread for you~

Tensai is an odd fellow. He has never exactly talked, and I am guessing that is WWE's lack of faith in his talking abilities. The only gimmick I recall people getting behind was A-Train. He had a great theme and he forced himself, despite his weight, to wrestle on the same level as Brock Lesnar by flinging people around the ring and doing these crazy moves. Tensai lacks intensity to me, and it kills it more through my eyes that he is being played off as a fan of the Japanese culture rather than just saying it but still admiring his own culture. It's weird seeing an American (I think he is American?) go through a match speaking Japanese. That just makes him a Brodus Clay version of Santino Marella.

Melevolent 27
06-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks Dev.
Like Viperfish said, its poor story telling. They acknowledged that Tensai was in the wwe, but no follow up as to who he was and why he changed.
Saying this guy is not good on the mic makes you wonder why they brought him back, I mean everyone is on the back of Ryback for not speaking among other superstars who have the same knock on them, why not Tensai? Why are there not more threads on these sites questioning him?
As I suggested alot of this can be cleared up in a per recorded promo out the back, you have to believe this guy can remember a few lines! If he can not do it all in one take, edit it, editing could make anyone look like a champ with the mic but wwe does not do it, very odd? Also todays wresting connoisseur is much more savvy then in previos years, and wwe needs to work that out and change how the business works to fit their customer better.

BennyTheBall
06-14-2012, 06:49 AM
I don't think a promo would make any sense - this is a character who has supposedly immersed himself in the Japanese culture, and he speaks Japanese in the ring, so doing an English speaking promo would break character. If he does a promo, he'll need a translator.

But, in my opinion, it's up to the announcers to tell the story. If they tell the story right, then it would help the Tensai character. WWE are committed to make this character work (they kinda have to be - taking him off TV and re-jigging the character to something else would make Bloom a bigger joke than he is already), but there needs to be an introduction of some sort of back story for this to make sense.

Lowki
06-14-2012, 08:22 AM
He has spoke english and japanese once. He had a promo backstage several weeks back;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czx9dKZhM3U

johnnydropkicks
06-14-2012, 09:48 AM
He's always speaking japanese in his matches. he has been using English too though

I for one think this is a great idea; I agree with OP. He should come out and do that promo if he did it would give him legitimacy. It would take everything away from WWE and the writers and put it all to him and people would instantly respect him. cause it is all true all of it. he got fired, he went to Japan, he worked and improved and got in WWE again, and along the way he took some of the culture from the place he was living for years. there isn't a thing contrived or fake about any of that. he should speak japanese first, people will boo, but then do that. and the albert shit will almost complete stop. good thinking op.

Cabers
06-14-2012, 02:28 PM
SMASH!! SMASH!! haha every match!