PDA

View Full Version : Accent is the key to commentating...

akbar
06-10-2012, 06:43 PM
-Let me first make a statement, I love Jim Ross commentating...I don't mind Micheal Cole commentating but I would prefer JR. - that statement I reckon is shared amongst most of you lots too.

I thought about why that might be and I realised its just mainly one reason for me and that's JR's accent. I'm from england so I have no idea what kind of accent Micheal Cole has but I know it's very different to JR's. A lot of JR's critical praise for commentary is down to his accent I truley believe.

I googled where JR is from and it says Oklahoma so I'm wondering how hard would it really be to find an aspiring wrestling commentator from that region with that accent, just teach some funny big metaphors to him and bada bing bada boom we have a new commentator that has the same JR feel to it when we listen to him. I'm not saying he will be better than JR but at least he'll be more listenable than Micheal Cole.

Summary - Fire Micheal Cole (although I don't think his that bad) and hire someone with an Oklahoma accent (or anything similar).

So how big of a part do you think accents play in the art commentating?

thedag
06-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Cole will never be fired cause he is Vinces puppet.

I'm kinda shocked you had to google where JR is from. They say it everytime he is on tv.

akbar
06-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Cole will never be fired cause he is Vinces puppet.

I'm kinda shocked you had to google where JR is from. They say it everytime he is on tv.
Better to be safe than sorry...

Steve Austin
06-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I don't think it's that.

To me it's the fact that I grew up with JR commentating and the way he did it as well as the enthusiasm he put into it made it very exciting and more enjoyable to watch. He actually commentated on the match that was on!

These days Cole and Lawler spend way too much time arguing or talking about stuff that isn't even relevant to what's going on and Cole has way too many rants.

tchocky360
06-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Way more important than accent is what you say and how you say it.

JR's accent is not even 1% of his awesome, the guy draws you in and makes moments seem special.

Cole just isn't as good. But then, there aren't many that have been.

BennyTheBall
06-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I think what Steve Austin says is right - JR has been around for so long that a lot of us grew up with him and that's a small part as to why he is better. Change is hard, but it has to be done.

JR was also amazing a selling moments as well. One great example I use is if you compare HBK's return to Raw in 2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fsbbBqFGzU) to Christian's return (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LooMPSgI2tA) to the WWE. JR was the master of making a good moment great.

Haruko Haruhara
06-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I dont think accents matter all too much. When I talk to my Chinese friend in Chinese with an English accent or a deep south accent she cannot tell the difference in what I am saying as long as my tones are right. It all sounds the same to her. But I do think a calm soothing voice is better than a rough one.

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
06-10-2012, 07:05 PM
American accents are tricky. Shit, I live here and I have no idea where Cole is from based off of his accent.

(Checked Wikipedia) Cole is from upstate NY which makes some sense because I don't hear any accent at all, but I live in NY. That might be it; Cole sounds like some knobhead off the NY streets to you haha.

JR has the total package: delivery, creditably, and he sold what you were seeing. Cole is not all that bad but JR's shoes are just too big to follow.

GreatMuta4life
06-10-2012, 10:04 PM
To an American's ear, Cole has a basic American accent, it's not distinct to any region.

Some examples of regional accents:

New York city accent(noo yowk): Bubba/Bully Ray, Vince Russo

Southeastern("The South"): James Storm(subtle), Heath Slater(thick)

Northern(Michigan/Minnesota area): RVD, Brock Lesnar. similar to a Canadian accent

Southwestern(Texas/Oklahoma): JR, the Funks and Briscoes

There is a distinct accent to the Boston and Louisiana areas, but I can't recall anyone in wrestling that was famous for them. Other than that everyone pretty much speaks with the basic accent Cole does.

Rick BoA
06-10-2012, 10:52 PM
MY favorite commentator has always been Lord Alfred Hayes.

Amerinaine
06-11-2012, 01:20 AM
I think what Steve Austin says is right - JR has been around for so long that a lot of us grew up with him and that's a small part as to why he is better. Change is hard, but it has to be done.

JR was also amazing a selling moments as well. One great example I use is if you compare HBK's return to Raw in 2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fsbbBqFGzU) to Christian's return (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LooMPSgI2tA) to the WWE. JR was the master of making a good moment great.

This is true. I'm originally from Oklahoma. And I can tell you not many sound like JR. JR I believe is originally from Texas. I've heard a few Texans with that accent but not many. Part of why JR sounds like he does is because of his stroke and talking out of the side of his mouth.

LMPunker
06-11-2012, 05:41 AM
the key to commentating isnt about accent its about how you relay the information having genuine passion for whatever your talking about,providing the apropraite back drop to whats happening in the ring like why these two/three/four how ever many guys are fighting, itslike writing a song the guys in the ring provide the tune and the commentators provide the lyrics.

I dont think michael cole is a bad commentator his heel persona while gets anepic ammount of heat clouds his announcing at times because he has to be a character and yeah it works for the colour commentator but i dont think it works having a heel play by play

scottyseville
06-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Am from England, and agree Cole isn't as bad as people may make him out to be, he just needs to tone it down, and do his commentary job more often, rather then yelling down the mic, I love JR and honestly just thinks he's just better at the job then Cole most likely will ever be. I dont agree that's it's down to an accent. Plus Cole is always going to be there, he's worked most of life in the WWE and fair enough to Vince for making him the voice of WWE. He's (like it or not) a veteran in WWE, he's been there years, and worked his ass off, and come up, just as a WWE Wrestler would.

King Scrapper
06-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Am from England, and agree Cole isn't as bad as people may make him out to be, he just needs to tone it down, and do his commentary job more often, rather then yelling down the mic, I love JR and honestly just thinks he's just better at the job then Cole most likely will ever be. I dont agree that's it's down to an accent. Plus Cole is always going to be there, he's worked most of life in the WWE and fair enough to Vince for making him the voice of WWE. He's (like it or not) a veteran in WWE, he's been there years, and worked his ass off, and come up, just as a WWE Wrestler would.

Agreed. Cole isnt horrible but he just needs (or be allowed to) focus on the match and stop complaining and exaggerating things that dont even concern the match. It's disconnecting for a fan. He doesnt deserve to be fired. He's been there longer than 95% of the roster. Cole has worked his ass off to be in the position he has now. I'm not a Cole fan...never have been. But i have respect for the time and energy he's put in over the years. He just needs to get much better and should know a lot more about wrestling and the moves involved by this point in his career.

Tommy Thunder
06-11-2012, 08:35 AM
I don't think accent is the key to commentating. Anyone with any accent can be a good commentator providing that they can execute the commentary cleanly, clearly and naturally. They have to be ably to translate the action into words good, and keep the viewers into it. They have to be ably to do it in a way that doesn't seem forced in any way, and it has to flow.
The above is more in relation to the play by play commentator more than the color.

JR was/is a fantastic commentator. Cole is also a great commentator (when he doesn't go into heel overdrive). Josh Matthews is also good.

f408m
06-11-2012, 10:00 AM
I would like a good o'l commentator that just told me what was going in on in the ring with some enthusiasm and clarity. Booker T has a lot of enthusiasm but not a lot of clarity. Josh Mathews needs to be more dynamic, The King needs something I don't know, maybe a heel announcer again. Matt Striker isn't bad, he's just not on a lot. Give me some old fashion intensity, and cut back on the meaningless dribble, like twitter or over exaggerations.

BennyTheBall
06-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Booker T has a lot of enthusiasm but not a lot of clarity.

Understatement of this still very young century. :D

Cabers
06-11-2012, 01:30 PM
I really don't think it has anything to do with accent more tone of the voice. Could you imagine listening to big johnny for 3 hours each week? Exactly.

wrestlingfan66513
06-11-2012, 01:37 PM

LoL on the Christian return. I never noticed they said "instantly classic" during it and he was the "the instant classic" in TNA

scribbler_jones
06-11-2012, 05:07 PM
I would like a good o'l commentator that just told me what was going in on in the ring with some enthusiasm and clarity. Booker T has a lot of enthusiasm but not a lot of clarity. Josh Mathews needs to be more dynamic, The King needs something I don't know, maybe a heel announcer again. Matt Striker isn't bad, he's just not on a lot. Give me some old fashion intensity, and cut back on the meaningless dribble, like twitter or over exaggerations.

Amen. A commentator is just that: someone who comments on the match at hand, giving us the play-by-play, and drawing the watcher in verbally, basically complementing the match action. I miss that... gets me thinking back to the old school commentators with those old-timey accents and speech mannerisms telling you that so-and-so hits with the clothesline, then the atomic drop, then the body slam and so on and so on.

And no disrespect to Booker T, but I could do without the Bookerbonics...