PDA

View Full Version : Too Many New Guys?

HeelTurn
06-07-2012, 05:11 AM
Lately the WWE has been introducing a lot of new guys, and of course with each new guy comes a push.

We had Brodus Clay re-debut at the beginning of the year and since then he has been involved in a lot of squash matches.
Tensai and Ryback more recently returned with new gimmicks, and much like Brodus, they are also receiving strong squash matches (although Tensai's has been toned down a little).

We also have the likes of Sin Cara, Sandow and Cesaro, who are also receiving pushes on Smackdown, not to mention the likes of Curtis and Bateman who are still stuck on NXT.

And with the impending debut of Ambrose (who will most likely get some squash matches and a big push to) do you think the WWE have introduced too many new guys at once? Do you think some of these pushes should end, and if so who do you think should stop being pushed?

Personally I think there are too many guys being pushed in squash matches at the same time, whilst the likes of Kidd, McIntyre, Gabriel, Hunico, Hawkins etc are being used to get them over, even though they themselves could be bigger names.

Robstar
06-07-2012, 05:23 AM
I agree, there's a constant backlog of guys coming through the door and they're failing to push people properly. Instead they're doing the old "If they don't catch on straight away, look forward to being future endeavoured" approach. It's a tremendous waste.

Tommy Thunder
06-07-2012, 05:29 AM
I agree. Take Caesaro for example. He debuted several weeks ago, he's been put in a sort of storyline with Aksana and Teddy Long (why?), and already I've forgotten about him and don't care for him at all.

I thought WWE had a policy in place with these new guys where they only debuted on the main roster if there was a long term pan in place for them? Seems that's gone out the window a bit to me.

Melevolent 27
06-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Caesero may have had something in his contract making them use him, and they rushed it earlier than they should have.
Some good points, however the guys there must not be pushing themselves to grasp these oppertunities, as evident by the statements by Regal, JR and Heyman.

TempestH
06-07-2012, 07:06 AM
Lately the WWE has been introducing a lot of new guys, and of course with each new guy comes a push.

We had Brodus Clay re-debut at the beginning of the year and since then he has been involved in a lot of squash matches.
Tensai and Ryback more recently returned with new gimmicks, and much like Brodus, they are also receiving strong squash matches (although Tensai's has been toned down a little).

We also have the likes of Sin Cara, Sandow and Cesaro, who are also receiving pushes on Smackdown, not to mention the likes of Curtis and Bateman who are still stuck on NXT.

And with the impending debut of Ambrose (who will most likely get some squash matches and a big push to) do you think the WWE have introduced too many new guys at once? Do you think some of these pushes should end, and if so who do you think should stop being pushed?

Personally I think there are too many guys being pushed in squash matches at the same time, whilst the likes of Kidd, McIntyre, Gabriel, Hunico, Hawkins etc are being used to get them over, even though they themselves could be bigger names.

I agree with this. Hawkins & Reks should be tearing up the tag division (although jobbing in singles won't hurt them too bad if they're primarily used as a team). McIntyre should be a strong midcarder like he was a few years ago. Tyson Kidd & Alex Riley should be used as jobbers to the stars, losing in competitive efforts to the likes of Kane and Daniel Bryan.

If anyone has to be used as jobbers, use the developmental guys. With NXT exclusively at the Full Sail studio, these guys have no way of seamlessly transitioning to the bigger WWE crowds, and using them as jobbers instead would be a good way to get them used to performing in front of a larger audience.

scribblerking
06-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Yeah there is only so many times they can squash Yoshi and Slater...while the WWE certainly needs to build new talent for their thin superstar roster all around I think this is more a call for quality rather than quantity...we want to see characters that are different and interesting and see them used in different and interesting ways...the "squash" unstoppable formulas of yesteryear do not always work for everyone these days...

brianjones90
06-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Why have Claudio Castagnoli and Chris Hero become singles wrestlers when they are already a great tag team to push that division?A rugby player gimmick?Come on creative?

Asherdelampyr
06-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Yes, there are far too many people coming out at once for the casual fans to really get invested in any one of them. While it seems like they each have a plan, it also looks like they are all using the same playbook for that plan, so it is just garbage.
Hopefully the cream will rise to the top, and not be drowned out by the chaff (yeah, I'm mixing metaphors, so there :p )

Cabers
06-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Its the simple adage of way to many good wrestlers to little air time. Solution get more air time fills in with punk and cena again nobody gets over and with raw going to 3 hours it will sadly continue.

82Tucker
06-07-2012, 02:23 PM
There has been a lot of new faces lately, most I don't care for just due to my prefernce. Sandow & Ryback could be top level guys but I suspect Ryback will suffer in the long run. Tensai and Cesaro just bore me to death.

I just pray that when Ambose appears he gets the opportunity to really shine, I've been watching some of this guys matches and promos and he's the dogs danglers.

I expect him to make a shuddering impact when he debuts.

SESAfro
06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Need more air time? Down with the Supershow.

Robstar
06-07-2012, 02:42 PM
I think the reference was to certain people hogging the camera 'Fro

TNA 'The very best'
06-07-2012, 02:47 PM
I massively disagree with the title of your post but massively agree with your post. I can't see why they need to bring in guys and let them go on these squashes all the time, what is wrong with a guy coming up performing well each week, and giving him a character people like/hate, no matter if he/she wins or loses. I'd rather watch a decent match from a new guy than a someone winning their 500th squash in a row.

SESAfro
06-07-2012, 02:53 PM
I think the reference was to certain people hogging the camera 'Fro
Exactly. Without the Supershow thing there won't be certain people on both shows hogging spotlight.

DR.X313
06-07-2012, 07:29 PM
the prob with wwe and this topic, wwe has a terrible practice of droping all the talent that john cena and randy ortan squashed. like chris masters,and many mayn more.(not saying chris masters was the future of wwe) the wwe just won't push someone enough to be a star at that top level for like 7 years now. so they don't hit, and wwe drops them think back to 05. wrestling was still doing well. smackdown was hot raw was hot. then eddie g and chris b died. brock left. jbl quite and they needed a john cena. the prob was they gave him everything within five months,and the worst finisher in history. it brought the the shows down ,cause everyone had to job to that weak move. and john cenas push was so hard and is still going strong that all the guys that came up at that time until today got let go or quit. so they have these huge holes in the roaster now, with no history the new talent are going to have hard times trying to get over. and the guys with a lil history like jack swagger get buryed. so its a cobo of weak pushes, poor storylines and angels, and the talent are givin' weak ass finishers so they really don't have a chance to get over 100% like stone cold and triple h. this new batch of talent needs awsome moves so people will watch again.

Y2JLionsault
06-08-2012, 02:38 AM
It's as if the WWE forgot their own methods of building a guy up. Shit everyone knew Daniel Bryna was the best rookie on the first season of NXT without winning a match. He had the worst record but put on the best matches every week. Somehow this slipped the WWE's minds and they feel that a guy has to beat guys within 2 minutes to get over -_-

dub
06-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Why have Claudio Castagnoli and Chris Hero become singles wrestlers when they are already a great tag team to push that division?A rugby player gimmick?Come on creative?

*long sigh* My thoughts exactly BJ. Maybe the WWE is too affraid of fans knowing and appreciating everything that K.O.W. accomplished together on the INDEPENDENT circuit. Therefore they needed to wwe'ize them and make it seem like they came from their mold.

wrestlingfan66513
06-08-2012, 01:26 PM
I agree. Take Caesaro for example. He debuted several weeks ago, he's been put in a sort of storyline with Aksana and Teddy Long (why?), and already I've forgotten about him and don't care for him at all.

I thought WWE had a policy in place with these new guys where they only debuted on the main roster if there was a long term pan in place for them? Seems that's gone out the window a bit to me.

Triple H only had that for Ambrose I think. Sandow has been the best new guy in my opinion, his mic skills are great and his matches have been good. Now he just needs a meaningful feud. Caesero is getting short ended because of the new guys which sucks.

PrimusSucks
06-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Maybe they are debuting the talent that will eventually be used on the WWE Network so they don't have a bunch of freshly debuted wrestlers when the network starts up. Getting these men and women a spotlight, no matter how small is good for both the talent and the network.

MrFlacid1
06-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Its the simple adage of way to many good wrestlers to little air time. Solution get more air time fills in with punk and cena again nobody gets over and with raw going to 3 hours it will sadly continue.

I'm hoping that's not true. I really hope that they use the 3 hour concept to actually improve the product. They need to get rid of squash matches. Sure, it shows what the wrestlers' moves are and what they can do. But they can show those same moves in a 7-10 mintue back and forth GOOD match. That way, instead of desperately trying to get over a squash guy- which obviously isn't working- you can get over two guys because they have a good match and people can see the potential in both. These stupid squash matches are boring and predictable. Why not make it UNpredictable by making them legit matches with other new faces. I think that's how they can build new stars and actually USE the potential that is obviously there.

eyehatecena
06-10-2012, 12:22 AM

Its a shame too as I was psyched when I read Claudio got the call up. Hopefully they put him in a better storyline. I fear they will do the same with Hero when he finally gets the call up to WWE

eyehatecena
06-10-2012, 12:26 AM
And I can't believe they wasted their chance with colt Cabana a few years ago. WWE boggles my mind at times.