PDA

View Full Version : WWE - Can we get it booming again?

MattTY2JHBK
06-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Hey Guys & Dolls ;),

We all realize that wrestling is a booming/recessive business, but are we at a stable period?
I mean, ratings seem to fluctuate between 2.7 and 3.4 for RAW, whilst Smackdown usually generates between a 1.9 and 2.3. Keep in mind as well, that PPV buys are usually between the 200,000-300'000 mark (Whilst Royal Rumble and SummerSlam achieve between 400'000-500'000), and as of this year, WrestleMania achieved 1.3 million buys worldwide.
All in all, it's pretty steady at the moment (apart from WrestleMania, which is automatically accepted as THE event to watch/purchase).
With all this being said, how do you guys think, if possible, that the WWE could improve its' TV ratings and PPV buys into more of a 'boom' period?

In my opinion, the company needs to change three major concepts:

1) Create new stars... Goes without saying that newer/fresher stars generate more interest. I think this is easier said than done, but I think Jim Cornette once said it best... 'Go out there and be yourselves, with the volume turned way up'. The WWE desperately needs somebody magical on the mic, like Steve Austin and The Rock were. CM Punk is the closest to that at this time.

2) TV-14... Not a personal dig at PG, because it is not failing the product by any means. I just think that being TV-14 appeals to a wider and more knowledgeable audience. By allowing some swearing, blood and being a little more 'edgy', it would help to bring back some of those hardcore wrestling fans that do not follow the product as much anymore, if at all.

3) Be Pro-Wrestling... I can't stress this enough! Being a fan of this business, I realize that pro-wrestling and sports-entertainment go hand-in-hand and compliment each-other perfectly. However, at the moment, it has gone too far the other way. I'd like to see them use the words 'wrestling, wrestlers, fans regularly and hearing the commentators calling each move in the matches, whilst helping to get the story lines over.
In other words, present it more as competitive sport, involving unique technicians who perform artistic moves in order to win, whilst progressing the story lines both naturally and realistically.

What are your thought on what I have written? Likes/Dislikes?
Things you agree/disagree with? ;)

thesubverse
06-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I swear this is the exact same post people have been making for a few years now.

thedag
06-05-2012, 09:39 PM
i stop reading when i saw TV-14.

sxe_savior
06-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Wrestling gets more exciting in the summer and I can't wait to see what it is this year

CM Rock-Austin
06-05-2012, 11:34 PM
"We", I don't know if we can do anything since Vince doesn't really care. Anyway once Vince let's his creative team actually have some input without changing anything and stop changing the scripts at the last minute, they might get better.

Cabers
06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Its rated PG at the minute and it gets more interesting during the summer when the kids are off.

FunkyKong
06-07-2012, 12:25 AM
I fear wrestling may die in the next couple of years.

It's not "cool" to watch and ususally if you openly express your admiration for it in public, you will be chastised.

Tommy Thunder
06-07-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm looking forward to the Summer festivities of the WWE. They do tend to step up their game for the summer months, so I expect to see that step up start after NWO.
I think they've been harmed a bit by the numerous suspensions. Orton and Jericho would have been pivotal to current plans, but were suspended. Mysterio's time out was elongated due to his suspension.
Mysterio and Jericho will be back in the fold soon, and they've also got HHH and Lesnar to come at Summerslam.

Keith Stone
06-07-2012, 03:08 AM
They have to do what successful shows like Pawn Stars, storage wars, swamp people do and that's created characters that are likable and some that you love to hate. Most of everybody has generic music and nobody knows or cares who they are because when they are on the mic they do the typical heel talk and there's no diversity among most the of the roster. Dolph Ziggler ,Zack Ryder,and others are exceptions but some guys do need to be more diverse. And one more thing the recapping loses drawings because nobody wants to hear the same thing over again every damn time when I don't care what happened (example Big Show destroying everyone last week)

Murphdogg4
06-07-2012, 03:24 AM
For the 435343234 time, the rating has nothing to do with ratings. The 80's was a awesome period for wrestling, not just the wwf and it was family friendly. Also I think pro wrestling powers that be use the wrestling going through cycles thing as a excuse. The reason wrestling was down in the early to mid 90's was because they were presenting a horrible product. With WWE right now it is def down. Part of that is not their fault. They lost their two top draws with Rock and Austin (Rock is back but not full time). Guys like that do not come around very often. There are also way more entertainment options then their used to be. There was no netflix and youtube and great cable shows on a decade ago. Part of it is their fault, with no WCW breathing down their neck they have become stagnant. Another big problem is the writers, they write EVERYONES promos now. It's hard for the news guys to get theirselves over when they can't use their own words and get their own character over.

justinjackson1983
06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
you want a wrestling boom again? ok....

Heres How I would approach it: IGNORE EVERYTHING YOU SAIDim not knocking what your saying...but what you want to happen cant happen, its just how the wwe is these days they are a PG company, they have enough stars that they need to build they cant create any new ones other wise it alienates older fans and wrestling is a swear word to Vince, so thats how it is

What I think they should focus on is
1.) STORYLINE

Each week there should be a justified reason to watch, at the moment there is no attitude Era, No NWO, No undertaker and kane rivalry, no austin/mcmahon gripping me.
What they need is more soap opera storylines... more screwjobs,more twists and more cliffhangers at the end of shows making fans want to tune into the next week to find out why,what and where these things happened

2.)
Character build
I dont care enough about 70% of the roster and this needs to change
I need to know who hates who, who are friends, why wrestler A wants to kick Wrestler B's ass.I want to know why Dolph ziggler needs a title oppourtunity. as fans we need to care about every single wrestler on the roster for action point 1.) STORYLINE to work

3.)
NO FORCE FEEDING

del rio a hand picked wrestler in one year debuted, had a huge push won the royal rumble,MITB, wwe championship and went after the world champion at wrestlemania...

Del Rio is still not over I might add. more of a slow build would do perfect for younger stars more time to hone their craft, learn what works with the crowds and what does not

let them find themselfs as characters before thrusting them in the main event

4.)less of the commentators Bickering all the time and taking valuable air time

NUFF SAID

5.) Heels
I often find each week the babyface always has the upper advantage (i.e Cena/ Punk) I cant remember the last time there was a dominating Heel character who felt like an actual threat.

Most of Cenas feuds are a foregone conclussion and sometimes it looks like he hasnt even broken a sweat after he has won

Rule 101 of wrestling is pulling in crowds.. how anyone wants to purchase tickets knowing your going to see Cena kick the miz's ass is beyond me, its almost like going to a movie and watching the good guy beat the bad guy at the start of the movie and for the rest of the film lives happily ever after....thats how wwe feels like these days.

we need a old school villian that has the upper hand and it almost looks like the babyace cant win but against all odds and after going through hell the babyface prevails eventually

everything else is irelevant the PG RATING, blood, what colour john cenas trunks are,if they swear or not

all wrestling fans want is a reason to watch every week and purchase Pay per views

justinjackson1983
06-07-2012, 12:23 PM
you want a wrestling boom again? ok....

Heres How I would approach it: IGNORE EVERYTHING YOU SAIDim not knocking what your saying...but what you want to happen cant happen, its just how the wwe is these days they are a PG company, they have enough stars that they need to build they cant create any new ones other wise it alienates older fans and wrestling is a swear word to Vince, so thats how it is

What I think they should focus on is
1.) STORYLINE

Each week there should be a justified reason to watch, at the moment there is no attitude Era, No NWO, No undertaker and kane rivalry, no austin/mcmahon gripping me.
What they need is more soap opera storylines... more screwjobs,more twists and more cliffhangers at the end of shows making fans want to tune into the next week to find out why,what and where these things happened

2.)
Character build
I dont care enough about 70% of the roster and this needs to change
I need to know who hates who, who are friends, why wrestler A wants to kick Wrestler B's ass.I want to know why Dolph ziggler needs a title oppourtunity. as fans we need to care about every single wrestler on the roster for action point 1.) STORYLINE to work

3.)
NO FORCE FEEDING

del rio a hand picked wrestler in one year debuted, had a huge push won the royal rumble,MITB, wwe championship and went after the world champion at wrestlemania...

Del Rio is still not over I might add. more of a slow build would do perfect for younger stars more time to hone their craft, learn what works with the crowds and what does not

let them find themselfs as characters before thrusting them in the main event

4.)less of the commentators Bickering all the time and taking valuable air time

NUFF SAID

5.) Heels
I often find each week the babyface always has the upper advantage (i.e Cena/ Punk) I cant remember the last time there was a dominating Heel character who felt like an actual threat.

Most of Cenas feuds are a foregone conclussion and sometimes it looks like he hasnt even broken a sweat after he has won

Rule 101 of wrestling is pulling in crowds.. how anyone wants to purchase tickets knowing your going to see Cena kick the miz's ass is beyond me, its almost like going to a movie and watching the good guy beat the bad guy at the start of the movie and for the rest of the film lives happily ever after....thats how wwe feels like these days.

we need a old school villian that has the upper hand and it almost looks like the babyace cant win but against all odds and after going through hell the babyface prevails eventually

everything else is irelevant the PG RATING, blood, what colour john cenas trunks are,if they swear or not

all wrestling fans want is a reason to watch every week and purchase Pay per views

One thing if i forgot to add; Make wrestling fun again

It dont feel like fun anymore I skip a good portion of the show or am checking my facebook or reading messages on my phone.
Make it fun to watch