PDA

View Full Version : Tag Team Wrestling in WWE

Haruko Haruhara
06-05-2012, 01:16 AM
I was just thinking about this. Is it possible that tag team wrestling isn't bad because of the WWE and creative? Could it just be that the teams of the past were just so good that it outshines what we have today? I mean it seems that all companies are struggling in the TT divisions now. TNA doesn't have a good team anymore. ROH as 3 at the most. and WWE has one or 2. I don't blame WWE for this because I don't think any team will be as good as E&C Hardy Bros 3D and previous teams. It is hard to build something from nothing and I feel that tag teams are nothing compared to the past now. And I am not a mark for the attitude era or anything I just think that the past is really hurting the present.

Thoughts?

Playboy Stevie V
06-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Maybe, but I am hopeful since it seems like the E is making some tag team strides. I just saw Hawkins and Reks on RAW and im diggin the Primetime Playas.

tchocky360
06-05-2012, 01:47 AM
I was just thinking about this. Is it possible that tag team wrestling isn't bad because of the WWE and creative? Could it just be that the teams of the past were just so good that it outshines what we have today? I mean it seems that all companies are struggling in the TT divisions now. TNA doesn't have a good team anymore. ROH as 3 at the most. and WWE has one or 2. I don't blame WWE for this because I don't think any team will be as good as E&C Hardy Bros 3D and previous teams. It is hard to build something from nothing and I feel that tag teams are nothing compared to the past now. And I am not a mark for the attitude era or anything I just think that the past is really hurting the present.

Thoughts?

I don't know if I'd say that the past had teams that could never be matched. There were good ones sure, but Rated RKO, Beer Money, Miz and Morrison, even Joe and Magnus lately.

I still think it's mostly down to creatives just not paying tag division much attention and being too focused on their heavyweight singles titles.
WWE especially, they just chuck 2 guys together, keep 'em for a few months in a couple title defenses and chuck 'em. Primo and Epico were entertaining and had decent matches, now we've Kofi and R-Truth who have done nothing since winning.

TNA gave the belts to Kaz and Daniels, but they're both feuding with AJ, now maybe Angle will be involved, they've just chucked the tag belts into it but none of them want the belts, they have nothing to do with why any of them are actually fighting.

It's the writing pure and simple for me, you can have great tag teams, but they need time to develop, not just weeks, not even months, E&C, Hardyz, 3D, they've been years together.
Instead of swopping singles guys into different combos and rotating the tag titles every few months, they should get some midcard guys, form a few teams that have a chance of chemistry and give them time to grow.

Black Mass Reverend
06-05-2012, 01:58 AM
There's a couple in the WWE. Truth & Kofi (unfortunately), the Colon's, the Uso's, Rekks & Hawkins, Young & O'neal, & some might count Ziggler & Swagger, but i'm not sure if they really count at that this point. It seems to me as if they're trying to rebuild their division, but I just wish they'd actually give these guys a storyline with the chance of some mic time. It's not enough for me that they compete sporadically & when the titles are actually defended there's nearly no reason for it, other than the opposing team scored a victory over the champs on a previous episode. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what they decide to do with Young & O'neal. They've got some chemistry.

Haruko Haruhara
06-05-2012, 02:07 AM
There's a couple in the WWE. Truth & Kofi (unfortunately), the Colon's, the Uso's, Rekks & Hawkins, Young & O'neal, & some might count Ziggler & Swagger, but i'm not sure if they really count at that this point. It seems to me as if they're trying to rebuild their division, but I just wish they'd actually give these guys a storyline with the chance of some mic time. It's not enough for me that they compete sporadically & when the titles are actually defended there's nearly no reason for it, other than the opposing team scored a victory over the champs on a previous episode. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what they decide to do with Young & O'neal. They've got some chemistry.

I think them Reks and Hawkins and the Usos all can lead a nice division if they are given the proper time. They all work very well together. I am so shocked at how well Young and O'neal are doing. More shocked that O'neal has not botched talking on the mic like he did all the time in NXT. I am very impressed with them. Also Young looks like a black John Cena.

http://mcdazza.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/seperated-at-birth-john-cena-and-darren-young.jpg?w=510

I am not sure how to post images so they show up in here but its safe.

JSullivan
06-05-2012, 02:23 AM
Billy Gunn + Road Dogg = Legitimacy, chance to put over the other tag-teams and ratings.

Robstar
06-05-2012, 02:33 AM
To make your suggestion doable, JSullivan, they'd need to give Gunn & James a run with the belts first, then have them put guys over after. Give the kiddies a chance to see them in action

TempestH
06-05-2012, 02:42 AM
I don't think we'll see the tag team division seriously revived until we have a solid main event scene. Most of these tag teams were broken up as an attempt to find "The Next Shawn Michaels".

Mikeyboy7777777
06-05-2012, 03:07 AM
it's not the talent it's the people they push kofi and his partner of the week kofi is a guy who could make a midcard title more interesting now he's just getting shoved down our throats in the tag team scene and r-truth was fun with road dogg in the 3livecrew with konnan or however they were called now it just tastes like sour grapes to me.
reks & hawkins are jobbing the usos are jobbing these are the two teams that have been quite a while together longer than the champions yet the champions hold the titles while they don't even have a team name or a tag team move without botching i mean come on.
this just feels like it's sucking all the creativity out of every hole i swear if heels become tag team champions again and kofi with another partner of the week win the titles again i'm going to puke XD the usos should have beaten epico & primo haven't seen 1 tag team match with hawkins & reks or the usos that was bad HELL they even made the great khali look DECENT

scribblerking
06-05-2012, 12:18 PM
I agree the new "Primetime Playas" are looking better and better...but who did the poor USOs piss off to get nowhere fast? They obviously have the talent and look to do well enough in the tag team division but have not really had the chance to thrive...they have the best entrance of anyone and seem to have dissappeared lately?

Cabers
06-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I was starting to think it wasn't possible to beat the 90's tag scene and still don't. BUT it is starting to pick up now #reksandhawkins and of course the Primetime players are starting to make things interesting. And oh yea some team called the uso's where are they exactly?

bartish2
06-05-2012, 05:10 PM
It is all about the booking. They barely lift a finger these days

justinjackson1983
06-07-2012, 10:29 AM
its even little things like the Importanc of the Tag ropes,

It makes me wonder how many Fans are even aware of the "tag rope" rules these days,

steveorton
06-07-2012, 10:34 AM
I think theirs enough talent in the WWE to have about 8 solid tag teams. the problem is that Creative doesn't know what charcters these guys should portray so they just don't do their jobs and place two random guys in a team. They need to start realizing that the guys need to have chemistry, that it factor to mesh together and produce a great TT. The state of the tag team division and it's problems lie squarely on WWE's creative team imo.

HCollins-TNA1
06-07-2012, 10:20 PM

Thoughts?

The big thing with tag team wrestling you either have to break-up teams or create teams that jell together.....
Take Tully and Arn for example both were great singles wrestlers before teaming up, though they teamed up in 6 and 8 mans... Then they was like the perfect team when they was tagging up.... Same for any team....
Then I think in some cases creative or the company or companies is always looking to make new stars.... Examples Bret Hart, HBK, Nikita Koloff, and etc....
I think the lack of tag teams can be blamed on creative for the most, as they are pressure elsewhere to make stars and major story lines...
I miss the days of the 80s and 90s when tag team wrestling was always thriving....

Giddy
06-07-2012, 10:45 PM
There are quite a few good teams right now in WWE, but you can have as many great teams as you want, if creative doesn't give a crap the division won't improve. The division seems to be picking up a bit of steam, I believe is Evan Bourne wasn't such a dumbass it'd be looking better, but they're working well with what they have. Teams like the Primetime Playas, Usos, Hawkins & Reks, Truth & Kofi, American Perfection, Co-Bro, etc are all looking pretty good at the moment. I hope for it to get better, but in unfortunately I don't expect it to get better.

Tommy Thunder
06-07-2012, 10:48 PM
I think as far as teams go, the WWE are building up a nice division. they have:

Kofi Kingston and R-Truth (c)
The Colons
The Usos
Reks and Hawkins
The Prime Time Playas
Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel

That's a base for a good division. I think now that they have a decent amount of teams, they now only need to focus on building these tams up and making some storylines for them to follow. That's going to take time. Hopefully we'll see WWe doing this over the next few months.