PDA

View Full Version : Brock Lesnar and WCW

LuckIsForLosers
06-04-2012, 06:31 PM
(advance disclaimer for typos - using an iPad).

I read an article on 411mania (yes, I don't merely subscribe to Ryan Clark's most informative "breaking" news) about WCW and the E having a bidding war for Lesnar upon graduation, so 1999/2000.

We all know where he ended up. But a few speculative questions on what could have happened.

1) why WERE both companies so interested in him? Maybe WWE had already developed the concept for the prototype (no pun) wrestler that they wanted for their 2002 - era, in which case Brock Lesnar fitted the bill. Unlikely, as 99/00 was not so fixated in such an image and I doubt that they thought that a 28 yr old Rock would be leaving their company. So again, why? Yes, he has the amateur thing and a good physique. But in an era driven by character, high octane entertainment, rated r, and huge, larger than life personalities, does a clearly uncharismatic athlete fit the bill? Yes, green-ness is expected - so sign him, like anyone else, to a cheap and speculative developmental contract. But to give him a six figure deal in a bidding war means that both companies saw a LOT in him. Just puzzling as he has never struck me as a, and please forgive me, "sports entertainer". Perhaps they saw another Kurt in terms of athletic and amateur talent.

2) was he always earmarked therefore? I know WWE sign well in advance to developmental, but do you think both Bischoff and VKM saw a guaranteed star?

3) if so, bar the markish "Goldberg" chants and cynicism that's so symptomatic of wrestling now, do you feel that another physical beast like Ryback could become so big? Lesnar had Heyman speak for him but his main attraction lay in things like grabbing Spike from a baldo bomb "goozle" from prone, throwing him up, catching him and power bombing him I.e. incredible physical feats. Whether we hate Ryback or not, seeing him 1up his extraordinary physical feats against jobbers every week is fun. A guilty pleasure. With another devoid of mic skills athlete becoming a megastar in Lesnar, could he or others do the same?

4) and finally - Lesnar at WCW in 2000. The ship was beginning to sink, but had they pushed him hard and quickly and feuded with Goldberg, what impact would he have had, would he have been in the 8Invasion and would one more star, along with Booker, Goldberg, Steiner and DDP have swayed things?

FXK2I
06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
I like Ryback. Hands up...Hands down!

Asherdelampyr
06-04-2012, 07:04 PM
WWE and WCW probably saw the same thing that Lesnar's fanbase did, a man who lives, walks and breaths like a predatory animal.
Not to mention that physically, the former NCAA division 1 champ was always an incredibly quick, agile athlete (especially for his size)

As far as his promo ability goes. He isn't great, and totally needed Heyman for his first run (Damn how lucky can you get to have one of the best mouthpieces still around for your rookie year?) however he has improved, as he is an intelligent guy who can't stand to not be the best.

I do not think that WCW would have fared any better with Brock, simply because they had too many deeply rooted problems for any 1 talent to make a difference, and if any wrestler could have saved WCW it would have been someone who had been around long enough to know what the hell is going on around him.

fact remains, Brock Lesnar is an astoundingly scarily built man, with the face of a toddler and the speed of a man 150 lbs lighter. who wouldn't want to sign him?

Just too bad he's such a fucking Diva (Reading his book made me hate him a bit)

as far as evidence goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6k1LxVogkQ

HCollins-TNA1
06-04-2012, 10:18 PM
This might be all over the place.... but here....
I think this happen several times in the later days of the WCW/WWE feud and Monday Night Wars...
I have read in the past where Kurt Angle was close to signing with WCW, but choose WWF.... The same with Goldberg he was close to signing with WWF but went to WCW..... There was this other guy (former bodybuilder) can't remember signed with WCW in around the year 1999/ early 2000....

As in any sport wrestling has talent scouts looking near and far and long and hard for the top talent around the world.... that what both WCW and WWF did in the 1990s.... If Brock would had sided and sign with WCW in 2000 or 2001... It possible WCW could still exist today?? I think the big thing lots of talent was leaving WCW, and the failure to sign certain talent....
As for Brock he had the background in high school and college/amateur wrestling career and the top talent scouts from both WCW- Arn Anderson, Dewayne Bruce, and Randy Anderson, and etc... As did in WWF Jim Ross, Micheal Hayes and the Hebners.... All had their eyes on him and what he had done and what he can could do...

2. As for Vince he probably knew big things could happen for Brock... As for Bischoff I don't think he was in the place of power to sign him as he was before 1999.... But if he was he would had offer Brock the World.....

3. I think just the build up of the star or even the character what gives the fans the opportunity to be "Marks"..... Examples Gillberg, Shark Boy Al Snow, StoneCold Steve Austin, the Rock, Rock-n- Roll Express and the list goes with Goldberg all had loyal fans or cult followings that would chant the roof off of buildings....

4. If Brock would had signed as I said, it possible WCW might had survived???? Don't think a Goldberg build up would had worked as it was seen and done, but then again a small undefeated run could had worked and lead to meetings with Goldberg, maybe Hogan, Stenier and others...

Lowki
06-05-2012, 07:09 AM
WCW defunct
March 26, 2001.
Lesnar was signed by WWE in may/june 2000, that's 9 months in which WCW would have had to train him and try to introduce him. They were already on a huge decline by now. I personally don't think brock would have even been ready by the time they went defunct.

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 01:10 PM
It all depended on the suits and ties at Time Warner.... If they felt Lesner would had mad them money much like Goldberg, Sting, DDP, and Hogan and nWo did during their time....
Who knows like I said WCW might still exist if such did happen???

Asherdelampyr
06-05-2012, 01:13 PM
It all depended on the suits and ties at Time Warner.... If they felt Lesner would had mad them money much like Goldberg, Sting, DDP, and Hogan and nWo did during their time....
Who knows like I said WCW might still exist if such did happen???
It comes down to one question
do you think that WCW could have been saved by 1 rookie
myself, no they had too many issues, and no one man could have saved them b the end

JSullivan
06-05-2012, 01:16 PM
WCW had already started sinking.

Vince admitted himself though that both he and WCW were burning the candles at both ends, and it was a case of who simply lasted the longest...So who knows? I personally feel that the issues within WCW ran a lot deeper than one Superstar could make the difference to.

Mojo Tartarus
06-05-2012, 02:14 PM
If you think WCW could have survived by the signing of Brock, you need to go back over the reasons why they folded.

Cabers
06-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Let me see why where they interested how about he was a two time NCAA Champion? Not to mention the look that would scare your granny into an early grave!!

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 04:19 PM
It comes down to one question
do you think that WCW could have been saved by 1 rookie
myself, no they had too many issues, and no one man could have saved them b the end
I going say yes.....
But in reality it was the suits and ties of Time Warner or Jamie Kellner who killed WCW..... When Bischoff was removed as President of WCW in 1999 and the merger of TW and AOL talks was going on.... The sale was pretty much set in stone other then the Ready to Rumble movie the Time Warner invested money in, the sale was most likely was going to happen regardless....
Yeah i think Brock would had and could had saved WCW if someone different was in charge then!!!

Asherdelampyr
06-05-2012, 04:24 PM
I going say yes.....
But in reality it was the suits and ties of Time Warner or Jamie Kellner who killed WCW..... When Bischoff was removed as President of WCW in 1999 and the merger of TW and AOL talks was going on.... The sale was pretty much set in stone other then the Ready to Rumble movie the Time Warner invested money in, the sale was most likely was going to happen regardless....
Yeah i think Brock would had and could had saved WCW if someone different was in charge then!!!
then your answer is no

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 04:25 PM
If you think WCW could have survived by the signing of Brock, you need to go back over the reasons why they folded.

You need to look why WCW was sold and went under!!!! People want to blame people but have little clue who is to really blame!!!!
It wasn't Bischoff, Russo, Hogan, Nash, Dusty, Flair, and etc who was producers and creative and etc..... It was Time Warners Board of Directors that sold the company for little or nothing..... Plus signing certain talent to exclusive contracts which kept them from going else where for a few years!!!!

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 04:26 PM
then your answer is no
More the less a Maybe!!!

Mojo Tartarus
06-05-2012, 04:31 PM
You need to look why WCW was sold and went under!!!! People want to blame people but have little clue who is to really blame!!!!
It wasn't Bischoff, Russo, Hogan, Nash, Dusty, Flair, and etc who was producers and creative and etc..... It was Time Warners Board of Directors that sold the company for little or nothing..... Plus signing certain talent to exclusive contracts which kept them from going else where for a few years!!!!

Precisely, you've just argued against your own point of whether Brock signing could have saved them.

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Precisely, you've just argued against your own point of weather Brock signing could have saved them.
Just saying Brock could had saved WCW???? it wasn't really up to anyone but a Board of Directors what was going to happen.... Not WCW management, not creative or booking, but the suits and ties at the CNN Center in Atlanta.....

It better to say the question has so many twists and turns, that no one knows the answer, other then speculating!!!!

Rassling_Fan
06-05-2012, 04:40 PM

The thing is they were to blame. Time Warner saw a company that was hemorrhaging money. In it's final full year, it lost $62 Million, something TV companies don't like. Bischoff had the chance to buy the company but didn't because it wouldn't include a TV Deal. WCW would have probably fell sooner if Ted Turner wasn't backing them at the time.

Their ratings were low at the time, buyrates were low, and house show sales were low. This is not the sign of a company that was doing well.

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Let me ask this if Eric Bischoff was still President of WCW and Jamie Kellner never worked for Turner or Time Warner, would WCW still be around????
Follow up
Would Eric Bischoff sign Brock Lesner then????

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 04:47 PM
The thing is they were to blame. Time Warner saw a company that was hemorrhaging money. In it's final full year, it lost $62 Million, something TV companies don't like. Bischoff had the chance to buy the company but didn't because it wouldn't include a TV Deal. WCW would have probably fell sooner if Ted Turner wasn't backing them at the time.

Their ratings were low at the time, buyrates were low, and house show sales were low. This is not the sign of a company that was doing well.
Rating was still good..... Buy rates was low, house shows was mixed as most WCW house shows was....

Repetitive story lines, questionable booking issues, and corporate restrictions eventually led the promotion to begin losing large amounts of money, leading to parent company AOL Time Warner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner) selling the name copyrights to the WWF for $ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_dollar)2.5 million in 2001.

​It was more the less the company that killed WCW!!!!

Asherdelampyr
06-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Rating was still good..... Buy rates was low, house shows was mixed as most WCW house shows was....

Repetitive story lines, questionable booking issues, and corporate restrictions eventually led the promotion to begin losing large amounts of money, leading to parent company AOL Time Warner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner) selling the name copyrights to the WWF for $ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_dollar)2.5 million in 2001.

​It was more the less the company that killed WCW!!!!
how dare they sell a company that is losing large amounts of money
seriously, you read the first part of the stuff you actually put in there, right?
about the repetitive storylines and booking issues? fingerpoke of doom ring a bell? NWO becoming like 80% of the roster, and 99% of the show? losing most of the top cruiserweights that brought so many fans in (Eddie, Chavo, Mysterio, Malenko, Jericho)

Mojo Tartarus
06-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Just saying Brock could had saved WCW???? it wasn't really up to anyone but a Board of Directors what was going to happen.... Not WCW management, not creative or booking, but the suits and ties at the CNN Center in Atlanta.....

It better to say the question has so many twists and turns, that no one knows the answer, other then speculating!!!!

Thing is he wouldn't have signed until 2000 or 2001, WCW posted losses of $62 million in 2000. It's not that much of a stretch to say he wouldn't have been able to save them. Not much speculating to be done if you know how a business works.

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 04:58 PM
how dare they sell a company that is losing large amounts of money
seriously, you read the first part of the stuff you actually put in there, right?
about the repetitive storylines and booking issues? fingerpoke of doom ring a bell? NWO becoming like 80% of the roster, and 99% of the show? losing most of the top cruiserweights that brought so many fans in (Eddie, Chavo, Mysterio, Malenko, Jericho)

Time Warner it self was pretty much devaluing the product..... It that clear even Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder and Mr Magoo could see that..... Letting talent leave, not pushing ones that deserved the respect they did and so on.... Again it all dates back when Eric Bischoff was demoted from President of WCW..... Yeah i read the 1st part, but the 2nd part was the cause!!!

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Thing is he wouldn't have signed until 2000 or 2001, WCW posted losses of $62 million in 2000. It's not that much of a stretch to say he wouldn't have been able to save them. Not much speculating to be done if you know how a business works.
Knowing Time Warner they would had signed him for $10 million regardless of losing money!!!!

Mojo Tartarus
06-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Knowing Time Warner they would had signed him for $10 million regardless of losing money!!!!

The top and bottom of it though is that signing Brock, at that point in time, wouldn't have given WCW a stay of execution.

Asherdelampyr
06-05-2012, 05:07 PM
The top and bottom of it though is that signing Brock, at that point in time, wouldn't have given WCW a stay of execution.
pretty much, you can shift the blame for WCW's downfall all you want, but at the end of the day no one wrestler, and especially a rookie, could have saved them

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 05:07 PM
You missed the point I made there I think??? Time Warner would had signed to exclusive contract much like they did all their top tier stars!!! Regardless what would've could've happen it hard for you or I or anyone to say if WCW would still been around or saved!!!

Mojo Tartarus
06-05-2012, 05:09 PM
pretty much, you can shift the blame for WCW's downfall all you want, but at the end of the day no one wrestler, and especially a rookie, could have saved them

Exactly, the rot had set in.

Asherdelampyr
06-05-2012, 05:10 PM
You missed the point I made there I think??? Time Warner would had signed to exclusive contract much like they did all their top tier stars!!! Regardless what would've could've happen it hard for you or I or anyone to say if WCW would still been around or saved!!!

actually, it's quite easy. See, Brock Lesnar is 1 dude, and more than that, 1 dude that had no idea what he was getting into when he started wrestling. At best he would have had a decent run until NWO crushed him. at worst he wouldn't have even gotten that far.
Regardless, 1 wrestler is just not able to save a company alone, the idea that he could is completely ridiculous.

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 05:10 PM

Will agree there.... so many factors play into the demise and sale of WCW and for the price it was.... it really hard to say if wouldn't had an effect on the decisions being made in the office???

Mojo Tartarus
06-05-2012, 05:11 PM

No point to be missed. You think Brock may have saved WCW, I'm saying if you look at the position the company was in at that time, it's not that much of a leap in logic to conclude his signing wouldn't have saved them.

Asherdelampyr
06-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Will agree there.... so many factors play into the demise and sale of WCW and for the price it was.... it really hard to say if wouldn't had an effect on the decisions being made in the office???
what decisions?
what possible decisions that ended the company would have been changed if 1 more guy was signed? Remember at this point Brock was known as a kid who won the NCAA championship a couple times, and nothing else. It wouldn't have changed who was put in charge of creative, it wouldn't have stopped the AOL/Time Warner merger that you seem rather insistent is the reason WCW died, all it would have done is add one more rookie to the roster, and possibly messed up Brock's wrestling ability from having to train at The Power Plant

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 05:15 PM
No point to be missed. You think Brock may have saved WCW, I'm saying if you look at the position the company was in at that time, it's not that much of a leap in logic to conclude his signing wouldn't have saved them.
yeap you missed it.... Brock could had signed on a exclusive contract and could had been stuck to it for 2 or 3 years regardless of WCW's fate as many talents was until there contract expired....

Asherdelampyr
06-05-2012, 05:15 PM
yeap you missed it.... Brock could had signed on a exclusive contract and could had been stuck to it for 2 or 3 years regardless of WCW's fate as many talents was until there contract expired....

and how exactly would that have helped WCW?

Mojo Tartarus
06-05-2012, 05:17 PM

As I said, nothing to miss. That was a pointless statement on the topic at hand. What does his contract have to do with saving WCW?

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 05:22 PM
what decisions?
what possible decisions that ended the company would have been changed if 1 more guy was signed? Remember at this point Brock was known as a kid who won the NCAA championship a couple times, and nothing else. It wouldn't have changed who was put in charge of creative, it wouldn't have stopped the AOL/Time Warner merger that you seem rather insistent is the reason WCW died, all it would have done is add one more rookie to the roster, and possibly messed up Brock's wrestling ability from having to train at The Power Plant
The Decision to sale the WCW!!!!

It was the Time Warner that destroyed what they had with decisions leading up to March 2001.... If different people was in the Board room and wasn't feed the BS Jamie Kellner feed them the TW board.... WCW again could've should've and would've still be around..... It just that the picture was distorted to make it look bad.... and all to impress AOL....

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 05:24 PM
As I said, nothing to miss. That was a pointless statement on the topic at hand. What does his contract have to do with saving WCW?
Pretty much deals with Brock and his wrestling career.... He could had been a deciding factor in keeping WCW around, but who to say... Not you or I or anyone else!!!!

Mojo Tartarus
06-05-2012, 05:25 PM

It was the Time Warner that destroyed what they had with decisions leading up to March 2001.... If different people was in the Board room and wasn't feed the BS Jamie Kellner feed them the TW board.... WCW again could've should've and would've still be around..... It just that the picture was distorted to make it look bad.... and all to impress AOL....

So basically signing Brock couldn't have saved WCW.

Mojo Tartarus
06-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Pretty much deals with Brock and his wrestling career.... He could had been a deciding factor in keeping WCW around, but who to say... Not you or I or anyone else!!!!

I can say because he wouldn't have been a factor.

You're basing this from what became of Brock after WWE built him this way.

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 05:28 PM
So basically signing Brock couldn't have saved WCW.
No no no no no!!!! but regardless it could've and would've had a a very strong effect on the decision!!

Asherdelampyr
06-05-2012, 05:29 PM

Since Brock wouldn't have been hired to be in the board room, you again are not making any sense.

also, the correct tense is Sell, not Sale

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 05:31 PM
I can say because he wouldn't have been a factor.

You're basing this from what became of Brock after WWE built him this way.

I'm basing it on his look.... Time Warner would had him making movies and cross-promoting movies and WCW....
Again it would all depend who was in charge of Time Warner!!!! Point that isn't coming across I think...

Asherdelampyr
No no no no no!!!! but regardless it could've and would've had a a very strong effect on the decision!!

and again I ask, How?
How does hiring one rookie make any difference whatsoever on any other business decisions?

Mojo Tartarus

To you logical thinking is something 'other people' do, isn't it?

You still have no concept on how business works.

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Since Brock wouldn't have been hired to be in the board room, you again are not making any sense.

also, the correct tense is Sell, not Sale
Blinded aren't you.... Brock would be hired for something else Movies and TV regardless of WCW fate..... But again he could've and would've been a big draw in WCW as well!!!

Mojo Tartarus
06-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm basing it on his look.... Time Warner would had him making movies and cross-promoting movies and WCW....
Again it would all depend who was in charge of Time Warner!!!! Point that isn't coming across I think...

You're convoluting the discussion now. The question was, could Brock save WCW? Not could Brock save WCW if there were different people in place at the decision making end of the scale at Time Warner. Then the answer could be anything.

Mojo Tartarus
06-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Blinded aren't you.... Brock would be hired for something else Movies and TV regardless of WCW fate..... But again he could've and would've been a big draw in WCW as well!!!

Regardless of WCW fate? I thought we were discussing Brock saving WCW, not what he could do for Time Warner.

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 05:38 PM
To you logical thinking is something 'other people' do, isn't it?

You still have no concept on how business works.

To you and our other friend your points is to concrete.... you need to have a wider range of thinking not just that tunnel vision you keeping with....
I have a good concept how business works and many factors could had played into the sale.... Apparently you and a few others never read on the sale of WCW or the merger of Time Warner and AOL.....

Asherdelampyr
06-05-2012, 05:39 PM

because he did all of those movies for WWE and is just such an action star, right? the man who couldn't function verbally without Paul Heyman in his first run would have been a brilliant movie star eh? Seriously, come on.
yeah, he could have been a big draw in WCW with the right mouthpiece, right up until NWO monkey-stomped his ass like they were doing with everyone else.

Asherdelampyr
06-05-2012, 05:40 PM
To you and our other friend your points is to concrete.... you need to have a wider range of thinking not just that tunnel vision you keeping with....
I have a good concept how business works and many factors could had played into the sale.... Apparently you and a few others never read on the sale of WCW or the merger of Time Warner and AOL.....
right, I remember that part now in the contract they signed to sell WCW

"If Brock Lesnar is a WCW Star, WWE much give WCW 61 million dollars and their creative team, and must also pay AOL/time warner to continue to have a product that they want nothing to do with"

HCollins-TNA1
06-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Regardless of WCW fate? I thought we were discussing Brock saving WCW, not what he could do for Time Warner.
Point I made back several comments again Brock would had signed a EXCLUSIBVE CONTRACT WITH TW AND WCW.... APPARENTLY YOU MISSED IT.....

Asherdelampyr
06-05-2012, 05:42 PM
point i made back several comments again brock would had signed a exclusibve contract with tw and wcw.... Apparently you missed it.....
im typing in all caps so you know im right!!!!!

Mojo Tartarus
06-05-2012, 05:44 PM

Why is my thinking tunnel vision?

Why do you come to the conclusion I haven't read up on the fate of WCW? Is it because I disagree with you? So that means I haven't read up on the topic? Do you always jump to conclusions of the knowledge of people you don't know?

Mojo Tartarus
06-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Point I made back several comments again Brock would had signed a EXCLUSIBVE CONTRACT WITH TW AND WCW.... APPARENTLY YOU MISSED IT.....

So just one guy signing an exclusive contract, would have stopped WCW from being wound up? How did you arrive at that conclusion.

Typing in capitals is a really poor way of putting yourself across. You are making yourself come across as rather childish doing that. I thought we were attempting an adult conversation?

Rassling_Fan
06-06-2012, 09:24 AM
For the one thinking AOL would have paid Lesnar's salary...

In 2000, a new company called AOL Time Warner was created when AOL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL) purchased Time Warner for US$ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Dollar)164 billion. The deal, announced on January 10, 2000 and officially filed on February 11, 2000, employed a merger structure in which each original company merged into a newly created entity. The Federal Trade Commission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Trade_Commission) cleared the deal on December 14, 2000, and gave final approval on January 11, 2001; the company completed the merger later that day. The deal was approved on the same day by the Federal Communications Commission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Communications_Commission), and had already been cleared by the European Commission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Commission) on October 11, 2000. Due to the larger market capitalization of AOL, they would own 55% of the new company while Time Warner shareholders owned only 45%, so in actual practice AOL had acquired Time Warner, even though AOL had far less assets and revenues.
(Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner#Transactions_made_since_the_AOL-Time_Warner_merger))

AOL had full control for three months, with the year seeing them slowly merge. That year saw WCW lose 62 Million. Signing Lesnar wouldn't have made a difference. In fact, it would have confirmed that WCW is a waste of money. And the ratings doesn't make up for a 62 Million loss.

Look at TNA. People have said they're the second comming of WCW but how much money did they lose in a year?

HCollins-TNA1
06-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Going back and answering the question.....
No not single handily could Brock saved WCW at the time due to to the factors of who was in charge and the state the company was in....
If WCW wasn't ran by guys who knew nothing of wrestling and that gave anyone huge contracts and etc, just maybe MAYBE it would had ended differently??? or WCW could still be around???? Most of the 62 million dollar lost was the huge contracts and expenses that was unnecessary....

LuckIsForLosers
06-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Perhaps it is foolish to believe one man, no matter how inhuman he is, could have avoided a demise based on business. Jamie Kellner's instant hatred for wrestling, combined with no real fiscal attraction attached to WcW made it go under, though I thought I'd speculate and fire of discourse as we have had above.

As one person rather sarcastically said, "why would they not want to sign a 2 time NCAA champ"? To which I reply read the op, as there is no surprise as to why he was signed , but why/how two companies saw so much in a strongman athlete who could wrestle? Enough to sign him in an ordinary development deal? Yes. Enough to pay him what many of your best established midcarders don't earn? Considering you only know of his athletic prowess, and need a good 2 years to develop him (even then you don't know if he'll succeed)? No. And it paid off. I'm a huge Lesnar fan, even now. Just odd that he would have such a huge bidding war. Again, because of the fact that something similar happened with another amateur athlete called Kurt Angle? Who knows

Asherdelampyr
06-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Perhaps it is foolish to believe one man, no matter how inhuman he is, could have avoided a demise based on business. Jamie Kellner's instant hatred for wrestling, combined with no real fiscal attraction attached to WcW made it go under, though I thought I'd speculate and fire of discourse as we have had above.

As one person rather sarcastically said, "why would they not want to sign a 2 time NCAA champ"? To which I reply read the op, as there is no surprise as to why he was signed , but why/how two companies saw so much in a strongman athlete who could wrestle? Enough to sign him in an ordinary development deal? Yes. Enough to pay him what many of your best established midcarders don't earn? Considering you only know of his athletic prowess, and need a good 2 years to develop him (even then you don't know if he'll succeed)? No. And it paid off. I'm a huge Lesnar fan, even now. Just odd that he would have such a huge bidding war. Again, because of the fact that something similar happened with another amateur athlete called Kurt Angle? Who knows

Actually that wasn't meant to be sarcastic so much as show that he didn't just have a "good" amateur background, he had a great one. They obviously didn't care too much whether or not he could talk seeing as how they put Paul E with him, so his athletic prowess and his look were really what they had to be banking on. Maybe Gerald Brisco, or whoever was scouting the amateur wrestlers at the time (Actually I think it was JR) saw more in him, without talking to the guy who scouted him we can't say for sure. Perhaps a more standard offer was initially put out there, and then WCW tried to outbid WWF to screw with them, maybe it happened the other way around and WCW made the first offer, I really don't know.

Viperfish
06-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Bischoff & co. were spending money that wasn't theirs, that's why WCW was rarely if ever profitable. It's so easy to spend money that isn't yours. They never ever had to work within the confines of a budget. If Ted Turner was stingy with his pocketbook, WCW would've been a lot more interesting. They may have been higher in the ratings than the WWF but I'm sure their operating costs were much higher and I'm sure that if they were making any money at all, that it wasn't very much more than what they were spending. On Legends of Wrestling's NWO roundtable it was revealed that both Scott Hall and Kevin Nash got something like $400,000 extra per year on their contracts just because JR announced that Diesel and Razor were going to show up next week. At the time they had backdoors on their contracts so they could jump ship anytime they wanted to and that's what WCW thought they did, so they spent almost a mil extra per year to sign two guys they had already signed(with the backdoor on the contracts removed).

It's junk like that that caused WCW to hemorrhage money. Would they have signed Brock back in the day? If they were under AOL and Time Warner probably not with the operating costs as high as it probably was. They weren't interested in making stars, it wouldn't have done anything for them if Hogan and Nash and all of them were bent on staying on top. Had they signed Brock and had him beating members of the NWO and beating Hogan and Nash he would've exploded like Goldberg did but it could never ever happen politically.