PDA

View Full Version : Merging of the IC and US Titles

scribbler_jones
06-03-2012, 11:46 AM
It seems that WWE is considering merging the Intercontinental Title with the US Title - with the strong possibility that only the IC belt will remain from the merge. What are your opinions on this? Should the IC Title stay or should it be the US Title? Who should be the competitors and at what venue do you think it should happen?

ELNIOJR
06-03-2012, 11:55 AM
I wonder what your thoughts are, on this matter :rolleyes:

K2Jelly
06-03-2012, 12:00 PM

I wonder why you wonder why it matters what he wonders. :rolleyes:

SESAfro
06-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Why would they merge 'em anyway?

ELNIOJR
06-03-2012, 12:07 PM
I wonder why you wonder why it matters what he wonders. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering why you wonder, about me wondering about what he wonders with the matter on debate :rolleyes:

scribbler_jones
06-03-2012, 12:08 PM

I was mulling this over as I wrote it (kinda still am...) First, I'm glad that the IC strap got its old-school makeover - makes it feel more authentic and prestigious - and would love for it to come out on top of the merge. Second, I'd like to see the consolidation match happen at Night of Champions. My ideal competitors for the event (though I'm pretty sure it won't happen) would be Chris Jericho as the Intercontinental Champion (he is one of the best IC titleholders and would put on one hell of a show) and Santino Marella as the US Champion. It seems like a bonkers choice, but I'd like this match to be the point where Santino comes out of his comedy act and goes in both barrels blazing. Maybe starts out with his usual slapstick routine but begins to realize that things are getting really real - he's in the ring with Chris Jericho in a high-stakes match - and we see Santino hit a new level. Of course, Jericho should win (in my opinion) but it could be a great match - Jericho would bring the technique and the attitude, Santino with the stubborn underdog who steps up to the challenge and does a better job of hanging than most.

HCollins-TNA1
06-03-2012, 12:10 PM
As I said on the main page comments.... and several other sites that had this headlined.....

No, no no no no no no no...... Keep the United States and Intercontinental as brand/show titles and Unify the World and WWE title if anything!!!!!

K2Jelly
06-03-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm wondering why you wonder, about me wondering about what he wonders with the matter on debate :rolleyes:

Wondering about me wondering over your wonder is a matter of wondering if my rebuttal to your wondering was wondering at all.

HeelTurn
06-03-2012, 12:11 PM
This rumour pops up from time to time, I wouldn't believe it just yet. If it does, I think its a bad idea.

Steve Austin
06-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I hope they don't merge them unless they're going to bring back another title like Cruiserweight or something at somepoint.

If they do merge them get rid of the US, always preferred the European title anyway.

Also I'd like to see Jericho v Christian in a unification match, would be cool to see, maybe Jericho would get his 10th IC title reign.

stevieg1237
06-03-2012, 12:18 PM
IC title should stay by far. It is the best looking title in the company right now and one of the oldest. But I would rather see both the IC and US titles stay and merge the WWE and World titles. This would make the heavyweight title more important and leave 2 midcard titles as stepping-stones to the main event scene for the mid to upper mid-carders.

ELNIOJR
06-03-2012, 12:25 PM
I was mulling this over as I wrote it (kinda still am...) First, I'm glad that the IC strap got its old-school makeover - makes it feel more authentic and prestigious - and would love for it to come out on top of the merge. Second, I'd like to see the consolidation match happen at Night of Champions. My ideal competitors for the event (though I'm pretty sure it won't happen) would be Chris Jericho as the Intercontinental Champion (he is one of the best IC titleholders and would put on one hell of a show) and Santino Marella as the US Champion. It seems like a bonkers choice, but I'd like this match to be the point where Santino comes out of his comedy act and goes in both barrels blazing. Maybe starts out with his usual slapstick routine but begins to realize that things are getting really real - he's in the ring with Chris Jericho in a high-stakes match - and we see Santino hit a new level. Of course, Jericho should win (in my opinion) but it could be a great match - Jericho would bring the technique and the attitude, Santino with the stubborn underdog who steps up to the challenge and does a better job of hanging than most.

I was just wondering...

On Topic: I dont approve the merging. Sometimes, the creatives are pretty much the responsibles for the downfall of any secondary championship in the company. Nothing to do with the talents. FUCK, just build some stories with some guys willing to kick ass and win the belt, make the feud personal, with back stabbings, mind games, challenges to each opponents, and stuffs like that.

Basically, something like MVP vs Matt Hardy! (Yap, I said Matt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNUjviFwhWg

BAH_GAWD
06-03-2012, 01:14 PM
It wouldn't bother me if the two were merged. However if they were i would say keep the IC. Really love the classic design but i wish it would have the black strap.

Keith Stone
06-03-2012, 01:57 PM
They should retire both and bring back the European Title. That Title was more important than both the IC and US titles and was even up there with winning the WWE title

jelle1809
06-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Let the IC title remain over the merge and bring back the cruiserweight championship, so little guys can go after it.

Cabers
06-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Would seriously suck if it happens!!

Robstar
06-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Why would they merge 'em anyway?

They wanna be mods?

HeelTurn
06-03-2012, 03:18 PM
They wanna be mods?

Ha mod joke. Does this mean the next time someone is given a title without any explanation or there thoughts on winning the title, they will be merged?

peppermill25
06-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Shouldnt they merge the titles and call it the european championship?

HCollins-TNA1
06-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Shouldnt they merge the titles and call it the european championship?
The Global Champion???? LOL

Tommy Thunder
06-03-2012, 03:50 PM
The size of the WWE roster to me demands the need for 2 mid card titles, and 2 main event titles. If you're going to merge the main titles, then bring back another mid card title in it's place. If they're thinking of merging the US and IC title, then they'll need to bring in another title to replace it. In short, I think that 4 titles complements the size of the WWE's roster just fine right now.
When they start the cruiserweight show, I hope that they bring back the title to go with it, and that'll stay exclusive to that show. But as far as the main roster goes, there's no need to merge the US and IC title.

thedag
06-03-2012, 03:53 PM
ok it was reported that they thought about it and didn't do it. so the OP is wrong cause there no thinking about it anymore.

The Hit Man
06-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I think they should still keep two mid card titles but it think it would be better if one was seen as more prestigious as the other. It seemed for a long time that there was no difference in prestige between either title but I feel that ever since Ziggler dropped the title, the US Championship has seemed a bit second rate compared to the IC Championship. I think it would be a bit of a slap in the face to the history of the US Championship to degrade it like this so my solution would be to merge the titles and have the IC title come out on top, seeing as this has more history with the company. Then maybe a month or two later reintroduce a title which doesn't have as much prestige as the US Championship such as the Hardcore or European Championship and this can be used to re kick someones career such as Drew McIntyre or an upcoming talent such as Antonio Cesaro. The IC title would be for only upper mid carders and former World Champions.

Tommy Thunder
06-03-2012, 04:00 PM
ok it was reported that they thought about it and didn't do it. so the OP is wrong cause there no thinking about it anymore.

There's nothing wrong with discussing merging the titles regardless of if it's been reported or not.

Poot-Hair
06-03-2012, 04:08 PM
I absolutely hate the idea of merging the U.S. and IC titles. You have two brands so you need two Heavyweight belts. Also with two brands you need a midcard title. This is where the U.S. and IC titles come to play. If you only had one belt, you'd have 30+ guys shooting for the same title. It all seems like a clusterfuck to me

The Hit Man
06-03-2012, 04:24 PM
I absolutely hate the idea of merging the U.S. and IC titles. You have two brands so you need two Heavyweight belts. Also with two brands you need a midcard title. This is where the U.S. and IC titles come to play. If you only had one belt, you'd have 30+ guys shooting for the same title. It all seems like a clusterfuck to me

The brand identity has been fading for some time now though. You have Daniel Bryan (a SD talent) challlenging the Raw's World Title. The US Champion shows up on Raw just as much as he does on Raw. Ziggler, Swagger and Ryder constantly appear on Smackdown and Smackdown's main event was between two Raw superstars. Add this with the concept of the Raw Supershow and the brand split is pretty much irrelevant now.

Robstar
06-03-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm going to make another thread just so I can merge the two...:rolleyes:

Tommy Thunder
06-03-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm going to make another thread just so I can merge the two...:rolleyes:

Call it: "Merging of the US and IC Titles"

Robstar
06-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Or I could call it, Merging Mine and Vickie's Naughty Bits. Yeah, I like that

bearkg88
06-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Or I could call it, Merging Mine and Vickie's Naughty Bits. Yeah, I like that

And can we say the love child will be Santino? :D

Moose
06-03-2012, 08:30 PM
As I said on the main page comments.... and several other sites that had this headlined.....

No, no no no no no no no...... Keep the United States and Intercontinental as brand/show titles and Unify the World and WWE title if anything!!!!!

I think this format would be much better one top tittle two secondary titles, I mean people say that the roster is to big but we have the same people challenging for both titles anyway a few weeks ago the title matches were punk v Jericho and Sheamus v Bryan then a couple weeks later the tittle matches were Punk v Bryan and Sheamus vs Jericho (v Del Rio).

I think it would be much better if they weren't "mid card tittle" but rather secondary tittles, whats so wrong with top guys like Sheamus, Jericho, Del Rio, and Orton wanting to be Intercontinental/ US champion. For guys like Ziggler and Rohdes feuding with and possibly beating those guys previously listed would put them over much more than carrying a meaningless strap.

HCollins-TNA1
06-03-2012, 09:15 PM
The size of the WWE roster to me demands the need for 2 mid card titles, and 2 main event titles. If you're going to merge the main titles, then bring back another mid card title in it's place. If they're thinking of merging the US and IC title, then they'll need to bring in another title to replace it. In short, I think that 4 titles complements the size of the WWE's roster just fine right now.
When they start the cruiserweight show, I hope that they bring back the title to go with it, and that'll stay exclusive to that show. But as far as the main roster goes, there's no need to merge the US and IC title.

Where is it in other sport events you see World Champions??? Not in Basketball, not in baseball, not in football, not in the UFC, not in boxing (but you do have different groups that sanction events)....
Reason I would prefer 1 World champion (Unify the WWE and World title), the 2 or more secondary or mid-card champions US and IC and Cruiser-weight champion..... Maybe that the reason why WWE smaller PPVs draw so poorly sometimes and then they decide to revamp the PPV??? You have 4 single champions and one belt is made to look like a mid card title being defended in the opening match of a PPV such as they do the World title on Smackdown...

Melevolent 27
06-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Could it be better to Merge the US title with the World Heavyweight Title?
I guess the answer is in the sentence, why down grade from World to US?
Oh well my idea was to Have them become the US Heavyweight Championship!
I would use Del Rio for this idea, I will run it by you guys for fun.
: Del Rio is in the hunt for the Heavyweight Championship so he is to win it, in the next few months, when ever.
: At the same time this fun little feud between Rodriguez and Marella gets serious. With Richardo finally getting a title shot and winning, defends and retains in rematch.
: I think RR should have the title a while before Del Rio wins the WHC. Build some jelousy.
: As soon as Del Rio has the WHC he makes Rodriguez lay down....
: Now of cause we can go 2 ways, RR lays down RR fights, I guess it would depend on crowd reaction to RRs win and subsequent apperances.
: But in the end Del Rio Unifies the titles creating the US Heavyweight Championship.

Fun.