PDA

View Full Version : Is Paul E. right?

EWN Probie
06-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Do the talents of today need the wake up call? After reading Paul Heyman's rant, I'm curious to know if there will be talents that will step up their game to become that shining star that person who has the "IT" factor. The next poster boy for the WWE. In case you missed it, here's Paul Heyman's Twitter rant:

Listed below is a summary of all of the mad scientist's musings from tonight (language NSFW):"I walk into the offices of #Looking4Larry and there's a bunch of #ECW pics sent to me by George Tahinos (who is a phenomenal photographer) . I guess in honor of the ECW DVD/Blu-Ray coming out next week and NO, I can't express myself in 140 characters or less and I couldn't help staring at this pic of me and Bill Alphonso from 1995 ...and I'm looking at that pic and wondering "how fuckin' long was my hair back then?" #HolyShit And then I immediately thought, "Who would follow THAT rebel leader? I look at some of these pics, and I realize how blessed I was in my career. Some guys have to wait forever for a lucky break. I managed @AustinIdolLive and Tommy Rich at the age of 21. Also The Orig Midnights, which I got to do on @ESPN. Got to debut in WCW on TBS at 23 years old. So I was @JRsBBQ color commentator at 23 years old. NO ONE IS GIVEN THAT OPPORTUNITY IN TODAY'S ENVIRONMENT! I will admit, with all modesty, I #Hustled my ass off, and GOT MYSELF the opportunity with ambition, politics, and pure assertiveness. Even "down periods" would give me the chance 2 work w/ people like Mean Mark. U know him as "The Undertaker" At 26, I managed @SteveAustinBSR, Rick Rude,Arn,Eaton, Zbyszko ... The Dangerous Alliance (didn't forget @Madusa_Rocks) I'm working with these legends, these giants of the industry, these absolute top guys in my 20s In today's system, most super talented people spend a great portion of their 20's just trying to make it onto the main roster and yes, that has to change. I got to take over the creative of #ECW a week after my 28th birthday By the time I became @JRsBBQ commentator on @WWE #Raw in 2001, I was 35 years old. STILL a "kid" but I was already a veteran with decades in the business, and yet a 35 year old today would just be getting that chance and working with @JRsBBQ on #RAW allowed me to commentate Wmania 17 and @SteveAustinBSR vs @TheRock. By the time I worked with Brock Lesnar, which has become my best known managerial role, I was 36 years old. I look at some of these pics and videos #HustleTweeters send me, and I realize what an amazingly blessed career I've had. I've had more lucky breaks, more open doors, more perfect-storm-timing-opportunities than anyone else I've known. These pics don't just remind me of "accomplishments," they remind me of what a lucky bastard I've been to be able to ...work with these magnificent people, and play these roles, under these various circumstances. I've hit the lottery so many times, it's easy to just "expect" the next opportunity, or get a sense of entitlement. But I've never felt entitled. Always blessed. Privileged. Lucky as all Hell. And yet, I know how much hard work goes into it, and how you have to SCORE with your opportunities. The next generation in this (or any other business) doesn't just need to "Step Up," they need to "Stand Up" and "Get Noticed!" Think it was easy for @CMpunk? Think it was easy for @WWEDanielBryan? They had to scratch and claw and fight for every ...inch of turf they could pry away from the previous generation, who made them fuckin' earn it!!! It's not about backstabbing. It's not about kissing ass. It's not about pulling a hot stunt and getting momentary publicity. It's about creating your own opportunity (like @SteveAustinBSR did with "Stone Cold") and working harder than every1 else looking for the big break, the next chance, the golden opportunity. This isn't a pep talk. It's the lay of the land as I see it in today's sports entertainment industry. I would have written a blog, but who knows if anyone will click on the link? And while this may be a "stream of consciousness" diatribe, it's a message to those who may be getting frustrated a message to those who may be wondering "will I ever get that chance? that break? that opportunity?" DON'T WAIT FOR IT TO COME TO YOU! RELY ON YOURSELF!!! Do you think @SteveAustinBSR relied on anyone? Did HHH? Did @TheRock? Did Hulk Hogan? Did @CMpunk? With great humility, I ask you, did I? FUCK NO. If there was no opportunity, I created my own, pushed my way in, manipulated the circumstances to beg, borrow, plead, blackmail, bribe, cajole, threaten, bullshit and/or manufacture. All I wanted was a mic in my hand and a time frame in which I had to deliver my message. I knew I would score. I've seen it in this business for ages. I saw @ShawnMichaels go from tag team wrestler to greatest all around in-ring performer ever. Think it was easy for him? I remember when Shawn and Marty were blackballed in the business, and could only work in Ala-fuckin-bama. Think it didn't take @ShawnMichaels everything "and then some" to break out of The Rockers and get a chance as "HBK"? AMBITION. ASSERTIVENESS and the ABILITY TO BACK IT UP is what it takes to create the next generation of main eventers. And it's time for the next group of superstars to stake their claim and create their own generation for others to follow. Period. Excla-fuckin-mation point. The lecture is over. Pontification has ended. Hope I've been of help 2 ANYONE who follows this acct and maybe even to someone who doesn't!
We now return you to our regularly scheduled nonsense....

Even Chris Jericho chimed in on Heyman's rant: "I agree with @Heymanhustle diatribe and I would like to add one more piece of advice. To really make it in this business...you have to be willing to take a chance. And if that pisses people off than so be it! Stop being so nice. Nice doesn't cut it."

So with all the suspensions taking place in the WWE right now, is it time for the talents to wake up? Because we all know Cena doesn't have much time left in the WWE and he needs to pass the torch as WWE posterboy.

With all that being said, are there any thoughts/comments?

Tommy Thunder
06-01-2012, 01:36 AM
What makes you think that Cena doesn't have much time left in WWE?

The Phantom Menace
06-01-2012, 01:47 AM
Both Paul & Chris are 100% correct. Look at the former John Morrison, all the talent in the world, a great look & he let his woman cost him a multi million dollar a year dream job. Or Dolph Ziggler, if he pushed the issue and then went out & put himself over, he would get a real chance to main event. Its not about winning belts cause its apparent the the titles mean nothing in todays WWE but making the fans want to see more of you. Drew is some one else who should read Paulie'statement & get off his ass!

EWN Probie
06-01-2012, 01:53 AM
What makes you think that Cena doesn't have much time left in WWE?

He's 35 now, unless he wants to Hogan himself in to his 60s he's probably going to start slowing down like HBK when he hits 40

Tommy Thunder
06-01-2012, 01:56 AM
He's 35 now, unless he wants to Hogan himself in to his 60s he's probably going to start slowing down like HBK when he hits 40

That's another 5 years away. Cena has another 5 years at least left in him at the top. Even after that, he'll still be around for possibly a further 5 years.

Over the next 5 year's we're going to see WWE narrowing down their choices as to who the next 'face of the WWE' will be. One could argue that the process has already started with people like The Miz getting a chance (last year's long WWE title run), cody Rhodes' push, Dolph Ziggler being featured more and more, Wade Barrett's push. But we won't have a clear idea of who the nest 'it guy' will be for another few years IMO.

EWN Probie
06-01-2012, 02:02 AM
That's another 5 years away. Cena has another 5 years at least left in him at the top. Even after that, he'll still be around for possibly a further 5 years.

Over the next 5 year's we're going to see WWE narrowing down their choices as to who the next 'face of the WWE' will be. One could argue that the process has already started with people like The Miz getting a chance (last year's long WWE title run), cody Rhodes' push, Dolph Ziggler being featured more and more, Wade Barrett's push. But we won't have a clear idea of who the nest 'it guy' will be for another few years IMO.

But then again, do we know what's going to happen between now and Cena's passing of the torch? No. Do I think any of these guys will be pushed to the moon? Probably not, but I think there should be a replacement that should be groomed no in case Cena's career ends prematurely

MachoManFan
06-01-2012, 02:07 AM
Yes he's right. A perfect example is Zack Ryder. He created his own chance and got noticed but when he got his chance on Raw he didn't deliver. I'm sure Ryder has it in him to be a consistent upper mid-carder but when he was given matches or the mic on Raw he simply didn't live up to the moment. The Miz is another one who had his chance but got complacent and let it slip. I don't think the business works the way it used to, it's much quicker paced now, so if a wrestler gets a chance and doesn't go all out 100% they'll be passed over for the next guy who will. Hell, the only reason John Cena isn't bumming around TNA's mid card is because he gave 100% and played the game (and still does). Jericho is right too, these guys need to tread on a few toes and not worry who they piss off.

tweedidldum
06-01-2012, 02:08 AM
I don't think it will matter who they push with this PG era. Just look at Cena. Poster boy and one of the most hated superstars on these threads, except for the kiddies. If he ever did turn heel where does that get him, another Bret Hart scenario!!!! in limbo..although I would like to see him go back to thuganomics, but even then his rants and rhymes would be stale as a horses ass with the whole PG rating.

The Brown One
06-01-2012, 02:12 AM
If Paul Heyman ranted about this a few years ago, I wouldn't have believed a word of it. There wasn't as much opportunity for the midcarders to "step up" back then as there is now, due to several main eventers being pushed out of the title picture, or getting suspended. Now the younger talent can get more opportunities and really step up, because the main eventers won't be around forever.

tweedidldum
06-01-2012, 02:14 AM
couldn't have said it better, hasn't anyone been paying attention, the ones who cause a stir or stand-out among the rest are the ones who push boundries ie..Stone Cold, CM Punk,. Ask me this who's pushing boundries in the WWE right now and why is there such a shortage of talents who are held back just because of this PG era, CM Punk was boarderline but it got him noticed and now he's simmered down and just riding the wave.

Tommy Thunder
06-01-2012, 02:15 AM
But then again, do we know what's going to happen between now and Cena's passing of the torch? No. Do I think any of these guys will be pushed to the moon? Probably not, but I think there should be a replacement that should be groomed no in case Cena's career ends prematurely

They are grooming guys. Like I said, they've tried Miz as the WWE champ, they've tried Punk as the WWE champ, they've tried Bryan as the WHC and (and perhaps he'll get a WWE title soon too), they're trying Sheamus in the WHC role, Del Rio's had a go and it's only a matter of time before Rhodes, Ziggler and Barrett get their chance to show WWE what they can do as the top champs too.
WWe are grooming guys to replace Cena, but who they choose as THE guy won't become clear for a few years yet.

I don't think it will matter who they push with this PG era. Just look at Cena. Poster boy and one of the most hated superstars on these threads, except for the kiddies. If he ever did turn heel where does that get him, another Bret Hart scenario!!!! in limbo..although I would like to see him go back to thuganomics, but even then his rants and rhymes would be stale as a horses ass with the whole PG rating.

Well Cena doesn't need to go back to the thuganomics gimmick if he ever turns heel. Like you said, it wouldn't really work in a PG environment.

tweedidldum
06-01-2012, 02:27 AM
Paul. E couldn't have hit the nail on the head any harder. This business of wrasslin is no different than anyother job on this planet cause what it boils down to is it's just another job. If you want to shine you don't blow shifts or show up late, you pay your dues when your on the job, try to impress and learn as you go....or get labled useless or lazy, never shows up, calls in late all the time, not worth your weight in shit!!!! then your FIRED!!!! Managers and bosses alike....well some anyway lol, want winners.

Mikeyboy7777777
06-01-2012, 03:34 AM
i agree with paul but also wwe should reward people who are really trying to do everything for the fans to like them and reward them like the usos did the haka the different costume always having fun tag team matches but no they just gave the belts to kofi and his partner of the week who got nothing in common they can't even perform a double flapjack in the right way and let the usos job to every bloody heel tag team on the roster.

Chavo
06-01-2012, 05:06 AM
I really don't see anyone on the roster as the next John Cena. You're gonna need someone who looks big and strong, good looks, great charisma, and is willing to work their butt off. I see a couple people with potential but no one with all of the above like Cena =(

JSullivan
06-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Paul Heyman is always right.

ELNIOJR
06-01-2012, 09:18 AM

Well, I think he should use that to help other guys to the Top...

Mr Punk
06-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I know a lot of you will laugh at this and think im crazy but I see this man could becoming a big part in WWE future. He is young, has charisma and is getting a lot better than what he was last year.

thejman93
06-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Paul Heyman is always right.

This. The man, despite his less than stellar handling of money, is a genius.

JSullivan
06-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Couldn't agree more!

Nobody is perfect!

Playboy Stevie V
06-01-2012, 03:43 PM

I was just talking about Paul E this morning. I was complaining about Dixie and Hogan's handling of TNA. I threw out that the best thing TNA could do is get rid of Hogan, Dixie go off TV and let Heyman take the whole show over from bottom to top. I said he is a genius and would make TNA into a legitimate threat to the WWE.

I said that he is more of a wrestling genius than Vince, but the only reason that holds him back is that he was not born with silver spoon in his mouth and is not blessed with millions from the get go.

If he tweeted what the superstars need to do today, they need to listen. He knows what he is talking about IMO.

thedag
06-01-2012, 04:05 PM
JR said all this on that round table show.

Yes2J
06-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Yes he's right. A perfect example is Zack Ryder. He created his own chance and got noticed but when he got his chance on Raw he didn't deliver. I'm sure Ryder has it in him to be a consistent upper mid-carder but when he was given matches or the mic on Raw he simply didn't live up to the moment. The Miz is another one who had his chance but got complacent and let it slip. I don't think the business works the way it used to, it's much quicker paced now, so if a wrestler gets a chance and doesn't go all out 100% they'll be passed over for the next guy who will. Hell, the only reason John Cena isn't bumming around TNA's mid card is because he gave 100% and played the game (and still does). Jericho is right too, these guys need to tread on a few toes and not worry who they piss off.
I agree 100%. What really gets wrestlers over is their CHARACTER WORK. Something fundamental to efedding oddly enough, which I picked up on in my short time here. I remember my last WWE event about 3 years ago. It was a SmackDown! There were 3 stars that stood out at that time and at that event: CM Punk, John Morrison, and Zack Ryder. Ryder was in a match (I think with Tommy Dreamer) on Superstars and I thought: Why the hell is this guy only on Superstars? He had a great gimmick, a great energy and charisma, and was ACTUALLY TALENTED in the ring. Likewise for the other two. CM Punk was heel at the time, and was playing top dog on SmackDown! after Jeff Hardy left (maybe it was 4 years ago...damn I'm old). He was starting to get over and become a face or at least tweener. The main event featured Morrison vs. Punk, and that Milwaukee crowd knows their shit. I can say this because they ALL chanted for Morrison to win because they knew that Punk was already on his way up as a heel. Morrison surprisingly, and to the fans' delight, pulled out the victory against the then champ. All of them were able to wrestle, but they had the charm/charisma to go along with that in ring ability. Too bad Morrison gave it up.

Cabers
06-02-2012, 01:14 PM
He is right to a certain extent most of the WWE guys are happy enough to coast when they get there everyone seems to pick it up when rumours start about releases and then settle back into coasting again once the threat is gone.

thejman93
06-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I was just talking about Paul E this morning. I was complaining about Dixie and Hogan's handling of TNA. I threw out that the best thing TNA could do is get rid of Hogan, Dixie go off TV and let Heyman take the whole show over from bottom to top. I said he is a genius and would make TNA into a legitimate threat to the WWE.

I've been screaming from the rooftops about that since the hired Hogan. Dixie is a dipshit.