PDA

View Full Version : As much as I dislike the PG era I don't think Bret Hart would have returned...

wrestlingfan316
11-08-2010, 10:17 AM
As much as I dislike the PG era I don't think Bret Hart would have returned if the WWE was like it was before the "PG era". I was watching the Wrestling With Shadows documentary and one of the big reasons Bret Hart was displeased with McMahon(besides the "Montreal Screwjob") was that he didn't like the direction the company was going in like DX and all of the sexual and racial(the that gang wars storyline between the Nation of Domination and the DOA and other factions) storylines/gimmicks.

Bodom
11-08-2010, 10:34 AM
A very interesting point and a very probable one

Rassling_Fan
11-08-2010, 10:39 AM
It wasn't just Bret Hart who didn't like the Attitude Era. Chris Jericho also has a disliking to it despite beginning there.

PG, I think, is a great idea. To me, the Attitude Era was stupid. Hot Lesbian Action and Meat with a (expletive) (expletive) in his pants because he has a (expletive) and Mark Henry getting a (expletive) from a guy and necrophilia. That’s not entertaining by anybody’s standards. That’s just stupid and I never liked that stuff. For me, for them to go family oriented, I’m all for it. It’s family oriented but in this day and age where you can still go out there and have kick ass matches. It’s still edgy, there’s still great characters. I’ve got no problem with it. I like it much better than the Attitude Era because I thought the Attitude Era was just childish, dropping (expletive) on each another and stuff. C’mon, that’s not funny if you’re five years old.
Source (http://www.sescoops.com/wrestling-news/wwe/chris-jericho-interview-wwe-contract-expiring-tv-pg/)

alexrules01
11-08-2010, 10:44 AM
And thats comming from a man who was part of the Attitude!
Goes to show how some people are completely different than the person they portray on the tv

chibo777
11-08-2010, 10:46 AM
not that bret harts return has had any sort or meaning behind it... lets face it... brett vs vince was a shit match.... bret as raw gm was shit.... bretts promo's are shit... bret at summerslam was shit..

there is no point him being there... if it was a choice between being tv 14 and not having bret back... or being pg and having brett.. its a no brainer...

sorry brett your just not that important any more

SaberToothTigerz
11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
bret belongd to the 80's or 90's its just no longer his time now he wont fit in

Rassling_Fan
11-08-2010, 11:27 AM

He could have been today's Flair if it wasn't for the stroke he had in WCW. Unlike certain other people who just can't stay off TV...

Bodom
11-08-2010, 11:31 AM

He could have still been relevant today.

It's Goldbergs f'n fault

dantheman
11-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Seems to me a bit silly Jericho saying that, a lot of his good stuff he did was down to that he could say what he wanted, i.e the promos with Steph.

The stuff Jericho is talking about happened in 1999 where I agree it all got a bit out of hand with the Mark Henry/Mae Young stuff. However 1998/2000-2005 still had the edgy feeling and it worked without being over the top. Nowadays everyone is so restricted to what they can and can't say it ruins fueds and actually makes the whole storylines come off cheesy, even if the matches are good. Its not just about good matches its the whole storylines, and these days the storylines are restricted cos of the rating.

SaberToothTigerz
11-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Seems to me a bit silly Jericho saying that, a lot of his good stuff he did was down to that he could say what he wanted, i.e the promos with Steph.

The stuff Jericho is talking about happened in 1999 where I agree it all got a bit out of hand with the Mark Henry/Mae Young stuff. However 1998/2000-2005 still had the edgy feeling and it worked without being over the top. Nowadays everyone is so restricted to what they can and can't say it ruins fueds and actually makes the whole storylines come off cheesy, even if the matches are good. Its not just about good matches its the whole storylines, and these days the storylines are restricted cos of the rating.

oh god...dont remind us of the hand...

TheDevilsAdvocate
11-08-2010, 12:14 PM

WWE could manage with the PG-rating. It's just that compared to then an now there used to be a ton of backstage segments that pushed the storylines along. Now they just play their feuds out in the ring solely, and to me... I found it more realistic when they did their confrontations backstage instead of going out into the ring an bickering like red necks on the front of their lawns during late-night hours. The only exception I'd make for that would be when somebody goes out there to issue a challenge, or like Jeff Hardy did with 'Taker when Jeff picked up the mic after having the shit beat out of him and said, "I'm still standing.." An the whole racy gang war thing was with the age. It was some of the worlds most current problems, and the WWF/E had no problem with exploring those territories. It opened up new windows, and made storyline making a breeze. But with the PG era you have to dumb it down a lot for the kids. If they make it too fun, too long, or whatever... The kids would be scratching their heads in like a month trying to figure out what had just went down. They aren't here to please US (the older audiences) anymore. You have to either take it for what it's for or go watch young guys get their asses spanked by old geezers in TNA. I'm not a TNA hater. I still watch it from time-to-time depending on my current mood.

Bam
11-08-2010, 01:16 PM
WWE could manage with the PG-rating. It's just that compared to then an now there used to be a ton of backstage segments that pushed the storylines along. Now they just play their feuds out in the ring solely, and to me... I found it more realistic when they did their confrontations backstage instead of going out into the ring an bickering like red necks on the front of their lawns during late-night hours. The only exception I'd make for that would be when somebody goes out there to issue a challenge, or like Jeff Hardy did with 'Taker when Jeff picked up the mic after having the shit beat out of him and said, "I'm still standing.." An the whole racy gang war thing was with the age. It was some of the worlds most current problems, and the WWF/E had no problem with exploring those territories. It opened up new windows, and made storyline making a breeze. But with the PG era you have to dumb it down a lot for the kids. If they make it too fun, too long, or whatever... The kids would be scratching their heads in like a month trying to figure out what had just went down. They aren't here to please US (the older audiences) anymore. You have to either take it for what it's for or go watch young guys get their asses spanked by old geezers in TNA. I'm not a TNA hater. I still watch it from time-to-time depending on my current mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlPiRf96p9g

Rassling_Fan
11-08-2010, 01:26 PM
They aren't here to please US (the older audiences) anymore.

If you look back at how Vince does business, his targets are usually never the older fans. 70s were kicked out for the 80s, who were kicked out for the 90s, and so on. Vince is always about the next generation and that's what keeps him in business.

Bodom
11-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I remember that night. Such a great match and a special moment

Robstar
11-08-2010, 03:16 PM
It wasn't just Bret Hart who didn't like the Attitude Era. Chris Jericho also has a disliking to it despite beginning there.

Source (http://www.sescoops.com/wrestling-news/wwe/chris-jericho-interview-wwe-contract-expiring-tv-pg/)

I hope you meant BEING there and not BEGINNING, as that's not fact

Scottland
11-08-2010, 03:23 PM
There is plenty of things wrong with today's WWE. Yes, the Attitude Era had it's bad moments but the Attitude Era had some of the best storylines & talent ever in wrestling. I will agree that there is not enough backstage altercations anymore to build upon a story. I don't think the PG rating is the true hurt on today's WWE product though. The only thing PG does is take out the foul mouth talk (sadly) which I think is sometimes need for certain wrestler character gimmicks. The two main problems with today's WWE is storytelling & talent. For whatever reason WWE just seems to struggle with there storylines which could be a sign WWE needs new writers & it's time to drop Gerwitz & Hayes as the top writers. WWE needs it's edge back per se. Another thing is talent which lets be honest here, talent today is beyond weak. The mass majority of young talent are only as good as mid-card level at best. Most of today's young talent would probably end up being jobbers in any other era. If WWE could fix the storyline & talent issues & problems they would be in much better shape.

Rassling_Fan
11-08-2010, 04:25 PM
I hope you meant BEING there and not BEGINNING, as that's not fact
I meant beginning as in "He began his WWE career during that time". Since then, he and the WWE are like this (http://www.flippinghomes.com/images/misc/fingers_crossed.jpg).

As for the attitude era being as good or not, there is a reason why people call the 80s wrestling the golden age of Wrestling. (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/409795-why-the-attitude-era-sucked)

Rich Cranium
11-08-2010, 05:06 PM
He could have still been relevant today.

It's Goldbergs f'n fault

Agreed that Goldberg ended his in ring career but disagree that he would be relevent today unless you mean out of the ring.

Bodom
11-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Agreed that Goldberg ended his in ring career but disagree that he would be relevent today unless you mean out of the ring.

Absolutely as on screen figure be it a manager, authority figure, whatever. Maybe have him wrestle a match once every couple of years

Iron Ape
11-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Seeing Bret's "performance" in the ring was cringe-worthy, almost like a conference room scene from an episode of The Office.

Bodom
11-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Never should have stepped in the ring in the first place.