PDA

View Full Version : Von Erichs vs. Freebirds Memories

Rich Cranium
11-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Ah, the sweet smell of nostalgia. I know I'm showing my age, but I remember as a little kid living in Tampa, FL and watching WCCW which was broadcast on FREE public TV every Saturday. We had Florida Championship Wrestling which was all good, but the WCCW programming made Saturday's even more special. Anyway, I was just on youtube reminiscing about Freebirds vs. Von Erichs. Man, that was gold. Please feel free to share your thoughts and are we seeing any angles like that today or would you compare for example EV2.0 vs Immortal to be somewhat similiar as the EV2.0 are like a band of brothers as were the Von Erichs and Freebirds (which obviously Von Erichs were legit bro's).

Robstar
11-07-2010, 02:14 PM
You were lucky to have seen that stuff for free on tv. I myself kept up to date (if you could call it that) with WCCW, always the 'poor cousin' to NWA through wrestling publications like Pro Wrestling Illustrated. I was excited when Kerry Von Erich joined WWF as it meant I had a chance to see him.
Such a classic feud too with The Freebirds, who were in their prime then. Hell, they even let Michael Hayes record 2 albums, so popular The Freebirds were even as heels. I'm always surprised when I watch Highlander and remember they were in the WWF for 5 minutes - remember that?
Anyway, didn't Gary Hart manage them around this time?
I don't know about the comparison you made to the TNA angle, but hey, if that's what it brings to mind I can't argue with it. There could be worse feuds to be reminded of. Bossman vs Al Snow for instance.
Such a sad saga, the Von Erich family. Outside of the McMahon's, we probably won't see another family dynasty in this sport, of that nature anyway. Thumbs up on the topic!

mrbluto
11-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I grew up 100 miles from Dallas, before I could drive I got my father to take me as often as possible, when I started driving I would go to Dallas on Friday night and Forth Worth on Monday night. I got to see the start of the Von Erich-Freebird feud start. I must have seen then battle at least 100 times live. I was in Texas Stadium the day Kerry beat Flair. I can say without a doubt it was the greatest feud in wrestling history.