PDA

View Full Version : My Understanding of WWE

beatfighter3000
05-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Originally I was going to call this thread "WWE Universe: The death of WWE?" but then I realised its the poor writing talent that Vince has hired.
But that's me going off on a tangent.
Back on topic with this thread

I was stuck here thinking of the trend WWE has taken over the many years of its existence
How initially there was the Wrestling Era [up until early 80s] Then from 1980 til around 1996, it was the Golden age era; Then from 1997 til 2001, it was the Attitude Era; Then from 2002 til around 2008 it was the ruthless aggression era; and from 2008 til present day we have been in the "PG era" as many have called it, or have come into "People Power" era as John Laurinaitis has called it.

It seems that there was a peak and a slump of everyone of those eras, however it seemed that up until the early beginnings of the new millennium, there was a healthy upward trend. However from that point it seems that slowly but surely the trend began to slump.

My point of this thread
Do you think we've met the peak of the PG era, or we're slowly getting there? and even though it'll never be the beloved attitude era once again, do you believe it's possible we'll slowly get back to a place of wrestling that was enjoyable for all ages, and not just the pre-8 year olds?

Mr. Ziggles
05-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Like it or not PG isnt going anywhere anytime soon, it is just to good for business (money wise), maybe when the current gen of kids grow up they'll turn it up abit, but don't count on it.

05-11-2012, 03:53 PM
they are PG bordering TV-14.

It's still considered PG, but they would sometimes have some things in there that obviously require viewer discretion (and by this I mean saying bitch, ass, drowning Punk in beer etc.)

Asherdelampyr
05-11-2012, 04:12 PM
1. No, the Attitude Era is never coming back. We have moved past that point, not just with wrestling, but all entertainment rediscovered boundaries about 10-15 years ago, this does not mean that I think PG 13 won't make a return, I think as people loosen the hell up there will be less pressure for "family friendly" entertainment in all forms of media, including wrestling.

2. PG isn't the issue, you don't need to do anything that goes over the actual PG guidelines to have a good product, however hiring soap opera writers practically guarantees that you will not live up to your potential, imo.

There are other wrestling promotions that put out a great product without going over PG. WWE has the best-paid talent, and the best resources, there is no reason that they cannot do the same.

also (Just because I always add this when PG becomes part of the discussion)
http://www.tvguidelines.org/ratings.htm

ELNIOJR
05-11-2012, 04:15 PM
I dont think been PG is their major problem. The problem is that sometimes WWE get extremely PG'ed. Why have (poor) comedy bits every single week? Bryan and Sheamus got 18 seconds at Mania, but Brodus had more time just...to call his Mamma.

Good thing is, Vicky for example is no longer gettin embarassed like before, with cakes, names, fat jokes and all those crap...

Asherdelampyr
05-11-2012, 04:16 PM
I dont think been PG is their major roblem. The problem is that sometimes WWE get extremely PG'ed. Why have (poor) comedy bits every single week? Bryan and Sheamus got 18 seconds at Mania, but Brodus had more time just...to call his Mamma.

Good thing is, Vicky for example is no longer gettin embarassed like before, with cakes, names, fat jokes and all those crap...

yeah, the fat jokes weren't funny, and after a while they just got seriously annoying.
not as bad as the "Piggy James" debacle, but still

ELNIOJR
05-11-2012, 04:22 PM
yeah, the fat jokes weren't funny, and after a while they just got seriously annoying.

Hornswoggle defeating Chavo for the 1000th time. What's funny about that? Who would give a F@CK about Hornswoggle anyway? Oh wait... :rolleyes:

Lowki
05-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Why do people blame the writers? Have you ever thought that it's actually Vince toning down and editing the writers thoughts? HE has the final say. He probably listens to 100s of great storylines and character tweaks only to turn around and think, for example, Natalya farting is hilarious. Nobody really knows what occurs in the boardroom to judge.

Asherdelampyr
05-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Why do people blame the writers? Have you ever thought that it's actually Vince toning down and editing the writers thoughts? HE has the final say. He probably listens to 100s of great storylines and character tweaks only to turn around and think, for example, Natalya farting is hilarious. Nobody really knows what occurs in the boardroom to judge.

I blame everyone, however it is easier to blame the writers because Vince has been there forever, including when they were putting out an awesome product, so it is more difficult to imagine that somehow he did a mental 180 and completely flipped. It is far easier for me to believe that the current crop of writers is crap, since they weren't there

URATOOL
05-11-2012, 04:57 PM
I am finding it rather funny that The E are so concerned that fans were complaining about the 'PG era' that they are trying to rebrand it as the 'People Power Era'. I actually believe it's one of the reasons for Johnny ever making it onto screen as a character. Purely to try and rebrand the product, without actually changing anything.

05-11-2012, 05:00 PM

I never got what the problem was, it made for great television and I was entertained by it, Mickie vs LayCool was a good feud and they had great and memorable matches together. At least it was different from "hey I just won a #1 contender battle royal so now we're feuding over the title for no reason." - Mickie at least had a reason to be against Michelle.

Asherdelampyr
05-11-2012, 05:02 PM
I never got what the problem was, it made for great television and I was entertained by it, Mickie vs LayCool was a good feud and they had great and memorable matches together. At least it was different from "hey I just won a #1 contender battle royal so now we're feuding over the title for no reason." - Mickie at least had a reason to be against Michelle.

well, it echoed real life issues that she was having, and she just wasn't fat enough to make the story make sense for me personally.

I just think there are other ideas that could have been pursued first

Haruko Haruhara
05-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Just like business, life and everything else there is a cycle of highs and lows.

Dr. Death
05-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Whatever era they want to call it, WWE stock is taking a pounding, so bringing back these past wrestlers like Brock , Rock, Foley, etc... hasn't really done them any good $$$ wise. 1 or 2 PPVs or shows for a big draw isn't enough to pull them out of a slump. Vince I believe is getting to old and senile to be running the company and Triple H has proven that he's not ready. It's time for Shane O'Mac to return and take the reigns from his father.

When the WWE realizes that good storylines and good feuds promote good viewing, especially with the resources they have available, they will start making more $$$ and their stock will go back up. Having a PPV every 2-3 weeks is dumb as it doesn't give them much time to promote younger talent and better feuds/storyline that the writers can work with. Drop down to 8 PPVs a year with a special ran for free on either USA or Sci-Fi channels 2-3 times a year will give alot of freedom and material for the writers to work with. This will in effect enhance their product, build up their younger talent making them seen as legitimate contenders, have better storylines/feuds, bring more viewers to the shows, and raise their stock value. Instead we get to see them have PPVs every 2-3 weeks, little to no storylines/feuds for the writers to work with, fewer viewers, and a decline in value.

The once genius Vince McMahon's time has finally come and the problem is that their is nobody capable of taking over. Shane would be a good fit here as he is more than capable, ready, and is with the current times. Granted getting him to come back might be an issue, but the WWE needs him now more than ever, and it would be wise for them to do whatever they can to get him back to become CEO of WWE. Just like the beginning of the Attitude Era, right now, (like back then), Vince needs to let creative have more freedom. When Vince bought out WCW, he in effect destroyed his own promotion as good healthy competition promotes good healthy self worth and viewing. Shane realized this, but Vince was, and still is, ignorant to that fact. Ego has made this mess, it's time for Ego to take a hike. Like Vince said - "Nobody is bigger than the WWE" - it's time Vince actually does what's right for the fans.

Asherdelampyr
05-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Whatever era they want to call it, WWE stock is taking a pounding, so bringing back these past wrestlers like Brock , Rock, Foley, etc... hasn't really done them any good $$$ wise. 1 or 2 PPVs or shows for a big draw isn't enough to pull them out of a slump. Vince I believe is getting to old and senile to be running the company and Triple H has proven that he's not ready. It's time for Shane O'Mac to return and take the reigns from his father.

When the WWE realizes that good storylines and good feuds promote good viewing, especially with the resources they have available, they will start making more $$$ and their stock will go back up. Having a PPV every 2-3 weeks is dumb as it doesn't give them much time to promote younger talent and better feuds/storyline that the writers can work with. Drop down to 8 PPVs a year with a special ran for free on either USA or Sci-Fi channels 2-3 times a year will give alot of freedom and material for the writers to work with. This will in effect enhance their product, build up their younger talent making them seen as legitimate contenders, have better storylines/feuds, bring more viewers to the shows, and raise their stock value. Instead we get to see them have PPVs every 2-3 weeks, little to no storylines/feuds for the writers to work with, fewer viewers, and a decline in value.

The once genius Vince McMahon's time has finally come and the problem is that their is nobody capable of taking over. Shane would be a good fit here as he is more than capable, ready, and is with the current times. Granted getting him to come back might be an issue, but the WWE needs him now more than ever, and it would be wise for them to do whatever they can to get him back to become CEO of WWE. Just like the beginning of the Attitude Era, right now, (like back then), Vince needs to let creative have more freedom. When Vince bought out WCW, he in effect destroyed his own promotion as good healthy competition promotes good healthy self worth and viewing. Shane realized this, but Vince was, and still is, ignorant to that fact. Ego has made this mess, it's time for Ego to take a hike. Like Vince said - "Nobody is bigger than the WWE" - it's time Vince actually does what's right for the fans.

I would love to see Shane back with the WWE

Shining Light
05-11-2012, 05:35 PM

And Dr Death is right once again!

Vince is a person of the past, and it's obvious that he's scared of moving with the times, as he knows that when he does it'll be time to call it quits. This may cause some heat for me here, but like Dr Death said, it's about time Vince steps down. He's created a fantastic legacy with the WWE and I believe it's time for that legacy to be taken over by someone else. As for who that will be... I have no idea. I'd also like to think Shane, but the situation is very complicated.

Asherdelampyr
05-11-2012, 05:43 PM
And Dr Death is right once again!

Vince is a person of the past, and it's obvious that he's scared of moving with the times, as he knows that when he does it'll be time to call it quits. This may cause some heat for me here, but like Dr Death said, it's about time Vince steps down. He's created a fantastic legacy with the WWE and I believe it's time for that legacy to be taken over by someone else. As for who that will be... I have no idea. I'd also like to think Shane, but the situation is very complicated.

yeah, that's what Dr. Death does best

Enter
Knowledge-bomb
Leave

Asherdelampyr
05-11-2012, 06:13 PM
honestly, I like hornswoggle (though I did not see that he needed to win any belt)

beatfighter3000
05-11-2012, 06:21 PM
IMPO WWE isnt what it once was,
But i'm still pretty much hooked on the show
I mean there's such amazing talent, and I guess what hooks me every week is the possible hope that this amazing talent will be utilised to the best of their ability.
Look at a Cody Rhodes or a Dolph Ziggler; Such amazing talent, and maybe i'm being naive here thinking all can change in a week
[But then again look at the whole re-branding of WWF to WWE]
But WWE is still a hell of a ride for me

I myself don't think WWE have reached it's peak, in fact I think its on an upward trend, like I mentioned in my OP
even though the process is a bit slow, I feel it'll eventually get there

Keith Stone
05-11-2012, 06:45 PM
I think the comedy shtick that they do really hurts the product I mean besides Santino Vince tries to shove alot of comedy bits that end up flat due to the crowd not giving a fuck. also The 40 second to 2 minute matches are a waste of time. And there is no dominant heel wrestler anymore. No tag teams anymore

Asherdelampyr
05-11-2012, 06:47 PM
I think the comedy shtick that they do really hurts the product I mean besides Santino Vince tries to shove alot of comedy bits that end up flat due to the crowd not giving a fuck. also The 40 second to 2 minute matches are a waste of time. And there is no dominant heel wrestler anymore. No tag teams anymore

a few comedy bits are good, but they have been overdoing it a bit

Sheamus, Orton, Rhodes or Ziggler could be the dominant heel, (in different ways, obviously) if they would just step up/be given the chance (whichever it is)

and yeah, what the hell happened to tag teams? I love tag team wrestling

beatfighter3000
05-11-2012, 07:09 PM
We do/did have a dominant heel in the name of Brock Lesnar
But I find it extremely weird how most of the heels are much smaller and get easily dominated by the faces
Cough Cough Bryan Danielson Cough Cough

Heres a couple things that could make a massive change to the company:

Bring in the dominant heels [E.g Showcase Lord Tensai with unique interview shoots]
Allow the Tag-team division to thrive like it once did in the past. As Brock stated "To bring back legitimacy to the WWE" Legitimacy must be brought back to the tag team division
Also Divas need to be booked in more thought out matches, and not just tea-break length type matches
with sustained development, and actual storylines

And so much more
But relating back to a previous post by @Dubs
I have done some thinking and I guess you were right, maybe in my mind the industry has met its peak, or the entertainment as it were
Maybe its a case where the entertainment and electricity in the air that was once showcase by the WWE/F will never be showcased again in my eyes. Its a shame, because like I also said, there is alot of talent that could be utilised, but its more of a thing where all the superstars I grew up watching just aren't there anymore, or have probably moved on to different wrestling companies [or spiritually]

But yeah, i'm hoping WWE will be it's once amazing self [in my opinion] once again

Keith Stone
05-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Sheamus, Orton, Rhodes or Ziggler could be the dominant heel, (in different ways, obviously) if they would just step up/be given the chance (whichever it is)

Orton used to be the top heel for awhile until Triple H beat him at WM25 and that ended any momentum
Sheamus could be but they want him to be the face of Smackdown
Cody Rhodes I would like to but he needs a good persona because he seems just Cody Rhodes
Dolph Ziggler he isn't the top heel because of politics no other reason I think he has good chemistry with CM Punk and all the other top guys and even made the few matches he had with John Cena entertaining
I don't know maybe they've purposely done this for Dean Ambrose's debut and they want him to main event as soon as he debuts

Haruko Haruhara
05-12-2012, 02:34 AM
I blame the US spinner belt! It caused the WWE spinner belt and since that day. Since JBL lost and that belt was brought in the wwe went down hill. (I also just bought ipthe spinner Beth because you get $91 off today!)

Cabers
05-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Interesting topic and historical references in there!! But i think we may be in for this era a little bit longer than the ones of the past.