PDA

View Full Version : Who Did WWE Drop The Ball With?

Lucas Chapel
05-09-2012, 06:52 PM
In my honest opinion WWE really should have pushed certain wrestlers who they were happy to let disappear into the mid card. I would have liked to hae seen William Regal, Val Venus, Billy Gunn, Goldust, Rene Dupree and Paul Burchill with decent main event runs with championship runs for Regal and Venus. I also felt that Tajiri, Ultimo Dragon, Rhino, Eugene, Joe E Legend, D-Lo Brown, Jimmy Snuka, Ricky Steamboat and Jake Roberts all could have been used much better than they were.
Haku and The British Bulldogs were bady under used too :(

I think it's such a shame that the likes of Burchill, Dupree and Gunn have faded away without getting the spot light that I feel they deserved.

steveorton
05-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Drew McIntyre, Kaval, Yoshi Tatsu to name a few recent

Iron Ape
05-09-2012, 06:59 PM
While still not quite main event material, Alex Riley had serious momentum coming off his break from Miz that the WWE somehow managed to completely squander. People were really getting behind him as a face.

Asherdelampyr
05-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Regal was and is an amazing wrestler, but he really just misses some indefinable thing that keeps him out of the title hunt imo

Val Venus is another great talent, but he seems to have issues getting along with people, and that might be what held him back.

Billy Gunn should have won a world title at least once. that man is a star

Goldust is almost a textbook example of a good character on paper not working out in the real world. he has all the tools to be a legend (with Dusty as his dad, how could he not) but I think his gimmick is just too off-putting to a lot of fans for that level of acceptance that marks a true Main Event talent

Jake Robert's biggest enemy is Jake Roberts. Look at any of the shoot stuff he has done, hell just watch "Beyond The Mat" and you will see a man who is basically destroying himself. Don't get me wrong, The Snake is one of my all-time favorite wrestlers, and if it wasn't for him working so well with Austin, there may have never been a SCSA, however his drug abuse issues just totally fucked him, time and again.

For me the biggest guy I think the WWE dropped the ball on recently was The Pope
Elijah Burke was and still is an immensely charismatic and athletic individual. I truly believe that given the chance, he could be the next Rock. He has all the skills he needs, and his ring-work improved leaps and bounds from WWE to TNA. In WWE he tried to pitch "The Pope" and it was turned into the crapfest that was his last bit of time in the WWE.

johnnydropkicks
05-09-2012, 07:02 PM
WWE most definitely dropped the ball with MVP.

Haruko Haruhara
05-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Paul Burchill is my #1 pick and one of my favorite wrestlers ever. I thin Wade Barrett is a close 2nd in my eyes. They F'ed him up bad after the nexus and I think his Randy Ortin bit and injury were career saving.

Reks and Hawkins in a since. They get matched but they should be on the main show.

K2Jelly
05-09-2012, 07:14 PM
"The Masterpiece" Chris Masters

He could talk well on the mic, had loads of charisma and he was improving fantastically in the ring while he was still employed last year.

CM Rock-Austin
05-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Sean o'haire, MVP, Ken Keenedy, The Usos, Cryme Time, Vladimir kozlov and Drew McIntyre.

Slivon
05-09-2012, 07:24 PM
I would say Drew McIntyre, and they did it more than once.

thetheme
05-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Shelton Benjamin, John Morrison, The Masterpiece, MVP, Cryme Time, Vladimir Kozlov.

Giddy
05-09-2012, 08:52 PM
MVP: This guy should never have turned face. His heel run was one of the best heel runs in a little while, and he was a very good cocky douche. "Half Man, Half Amazing" was awesome.

Sean O'Haire: This guy had it all, if only he hadn't gotten in that motorcycle crahs he could've been champion.

MR. KENNEDY!!!! KENNEDY: I say this one's half and half- half of it is the WWE dropped the ball, but half of it is he dropped the ball. He was just so damn injury prone! I'd say he's up there with the top mic skills today, but he just fucked himself up at the worst possible times- when he had MITB, and would've surely been champion, on his first night back, etc.

Muhammad Hassan: Man this guy had monster heat, he could cut a helluva promo, and he was good in the ring. This guy was in line to be a World Champion, but the whole masked men attack-London Bombings incident happened and he just never recovered. What was really his downfall was sending him to Smackdown, on the more "family friendly" UPN.

masakaritko
05-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Honestly, the list is too long to name everyone, but you know, not everyone who has amazing talent can be at the top of the business. It's supposed to be lonely at the top. If you overcrowd the main event scene then what's your under card look like? Pretty damn shitty. Sometimes people are underused, but that's ok. They can still be looked back on years later as legends. It's when you have really talented guys that don't even have a small part on the show. In the current age, Yoshi Tatsu, Tyson Kidd, hell, even Dibiase has been way under used lately. For one, WWE could actually have a Tag Team division, rather than randomly formed tag team of the month #4. Once upon a time the Tag Team Championship made legends. What's it there for now? What happened to the days where you had at least half a dozen tag teams competing on shows? There's your spots for pushing people right there. On top of that, what about a cruiserweight division. God knows WWE currently has PLENTY of Cruiserweights to have one hell of a division. Yoshi Tatsu, Sin Cara when he comes back, Tyson Kidd, several people on NXT and Superstars, Primo and Epico, Hunico and Camacho, Rey Mysterio could even help to re-establish the cruiserweights. Come on WWE, It's like you're stranded on an island, I give you all the things you need to make an airplane, and you make a gay ass looking camper with no windows instead.

Keith Stone
05-10-2012, 01:32 AM
They dropped the ball on
Kofi Kingston: He had an entertaining feud with Orton awhile back but political shit has brought him down to mid card ever since
Alex Riley: Same here with Riley after the Miz feud he had alot of Momentum and even a tease for a US title run they just quit using him without any explanation
RVD: that guy was legit over when he was on RAW around 2002-2003 I mean huge like top face I remember rooting for the guy to take the title off HHH but it never happen. That guy had some of the best matches at that time. Sure he did win a WWE title in 2006 but he wasn't as popular as he was 4 years earlier
I would say Mr. Anderson but he was too injury prone any kind of investment led to him missing 6 months and he also injured alot of guys in his WWE run some say he's really dangerous to work with in the ring
and the pretty much Owen Hart is the wrestler WWE dropped the ball on the most of of anybody. He was arguably a better wrestler than Bret and had good enough mic skills to be a main eventer but they kept in Mid Card. In a weird way if he was pushed like he should of he would of never had to do the stupid blue blazer gimmick in the first place and he'd had alot more 5 star matches

RedDevilSativa
05-10-2012, 01:43 AM
i would say the biggest one in recent memory is mvp the guy was awesome he could of been the next rock i hope he comes back to wwe one day.

Mikeyboy7777777
05-10-2012, 02:35 AM
if epico & primo would have still been champions then i would have solved this thing by having a tag team feud with hawkins & reks against more established faces such as zack ryder & santino marella then i'd have a feud with the usos and epico & primo but then wwe put r-truth and kofi as another makeshift team as the champions again and now they are going to push titus o'noo he's botching again and darren no days off but i wish he would young god they are awful. send them back to fcw please

jackson1978
05-10-2012, 02:39 AM
masked Kane

Lowki
05-10-2012, 03:26 AM
"Jimmy Snuka, Ricky Steamboat and Jake Roberts all could have been used much better than they were."

No. When these guys wrestled they didn't need titles to get over. These three are hall of famers and legends. How were they underutilized?
Davey Boy and Haku i agree with though.

second_city_sinner
05-10-2012, 05:05 AM
jake roberts-definitly should have been champion but i read somewhere mcmahon didnt think he was marketable and the drugs, i always wanted to see jake win a title when he was doing the reborn christian gimmick

shelton benjimin-world champion material but horrible mic skills if he could cut a promo i think he would still be there

justinjackson1983
05-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Sean O Haire- Great Gimmick, Great Look just got involved in that hideous angle with rikishi and piper and never recovered

Ricky Steamboat- the fact he had hands down wrestlings greatest ever feud with Ric flair and Vince brings him back to the wwf as "the Dragon" a guy that comes out with scales and blew fire not to mention vince asked the announcers to forget steamboats previous stint in the wwf including his match at WM 3 pretty much this described how the wwf used steamboat in general.

Ken Shamrock- In 1998 this guy was heading places after he won the king of the ring became IC champion. the fans loved him he had a cool gimmick and was a legit badass then he started feuding with Xpac and Val Venis in the mid card and never really going anywhere after that

D'lo Brown- not many will agree im sure but Dlo showed some potential and even was the first superstar to capture the IC and europeon champiosnhips he had a good summer in 1999 until mark henry hit him over the head with a guitar at summerslam ending his push forever.

Razor Ramon -wrestlings greatest wrestler never to be wwf champion in some peoples eyes, Razor had the look,the attitude the fans loved him and was always going to be in the main event. Sadly politics got in the way he was douche backstage and left for WCW before he ever achieved greatness (not sure If I can blame wwe here)

Xpac- Yes Sean Waltman the guy who was so hated he even has his own kind of heat with fans labelled as "X-pac heat" BUT in 1998/1999 Xpac was one of the most over superstars especially when he feuded with shane mcmahon and went in the tag team with Kane, sadly he turned heel and I dont think there was anything to like about Xpac after that.

Shelton Benjamin -this guy was a talented mat wrestler,High flyer and is half the reason most of us get excited about a money in the bank ladder match, he defined those matches with his display and crazy bumps and ever since then the bar is raised (or attempted to be) every year. He had one of Raws greatest upsets against HHH and a long IC title run.Problem was he was'nt exactly the rock on the Mic and rumors where backstage he spent most of his time playing playstation games then preparing for matches which for many old school wwe offcials is almost as bad as running over a small child by the sounds of it, and he never got out the dog house which started when shelton wheeled his mother down to the ring every match

Viperfish
05-10-2012, 08:17 AM
MVP without a doubt. He had star written all over him, and he came in with a specific character(a very good one) and within a few months the character was completely gone and he was just another guy.

printz1224
05-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Cryme Tyme, MVP, Shelton Benjamin, John Morrison.

What about that John Cena guy? Would it kill them to put him in a main event every once in a while?

areyouready?
05-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Defiantly shelton Benjamin. They gave him that bullcrap golden standard gimick when he was maybe the best pure athlete on the roster

Androo
05-10-2012, 10:15 AM
More like "who DIDN'T they drop the ball with?!" Am I rightsaidFred????!
http://img.skitch.com/20080922-tcd5hmx9dm2yaxg7e4jub67q3f.preview.jpg

jcunningham
05-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Mr Kennedy a.k.a Anderson. Look at what TNA has done for him, It does't If he's a heel or a face he always gets cheered and he's also the first wrestler I've saw call his fans assholes and be cheered for It.

Y2J___Y2J
05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Hunico, they had him do the whole Sin Cara thing with all the high-flying stuff which was pretty cool (He botched less than the original) and now he's just on Superstars doing what every other guy does in the ring, the ground and pound kinda thing. They could have let him do some the high-flying stuff and have some great matches. I think he'd have a better match with Mysterio than Sin Cara would if they let them do what they want

Daffy Duck's Finest
05-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Chris Masters. He had improved dramatically ever since he stopped using steroids. Nowadays we are stuck with Jackson and Ryan.

He could of had the persona similar to Brock Lesnar, but at $200,000 for doing 300 events a year, instead of $5m for 30 days.

Shaz11
05-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Cryme Tyme, they were really over and they were my favourite tag team at that time.

iRule
05-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Sean O'Haire under his Devil's Advocate gimmick and The Brian Kendrick defo.

Cabers
05-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Way to many where to even start..

maar13
05-10-2012, 01:04 PM
masked Kane

Abso-Freaking-lutely

The 2003 crap with Kane was just that, crap. Even if now he came back with the Mask, it is an 8 years too late correction.

Also, who did they dropped the ball with the most? Is not just who, it is an entire division, the Divas division, and the keep dropping the ball with it on daily basis.

MinistryOfDarkness
05-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Test. MVP. Drew McIntyre. Billy Gunn.

glg12
05-10-2012, 06:22 PM
John Morrison (should have had more than one World Title opportunity), Shelton Benjamin (who should have been competing for a World Title on a PPV), MVP, The Hart Dynasty (should have been together longer), Ted DiBiase Jr, The Usos (should have held Tag Titles by now), Mr Kennedy (BIG TIME), Christian (should have held a World Title a lot earlier in his career), Chavo Guerrero (should have held a US or IC title at least once), The Highlanders.

Tag Team Division

Throwing teams together and giving them a crappy name isn't working.

Divas Division

A 4 minute match on a PPV? :confused:

justinjackson1983
05-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Another name I forgot

Dr Death steve Williams this guy was pegged to be the lex luthor to Stone cold steve austins superman, He was going to come in and become a dominant force, Hell his best friend was at the time vice president of talent relations Jim Ross, he was earmarked to become the goldberg of the wwe and wind up destroying austin leading to a match at wrestlemania 15

sadly for Steve Some bright spark decided to create the Brawl for all which was a toughman competition to work out who the toughest sob was in the wwe (which broke kayabe by admitting wrestling was fake and confused matters by making it a legit competition) sadly for dr death who was meant to win as he is a real life bad ass got his ass handed to him in a boxing match against bart gunn.

Dr Death had a brief heel run in 1999 with Jim Ross as his heel manager for a few weeks, they managed to piss off michael cole a few times after that Jim Ross felt best he stuck to broadcasting and Dr Death went back to Japan

If they didnt have the brawl for all just think how difrent it all could have all been in 1999......

justinjackson1983
05-11-2012, 07:06 AM
The Brian Kendrick played a great heel, having Big Zeke as his bodyguard. I'm surprised his character didn't take off in 2009 but his carelessness and lack of passion didn't help things. The same goes for Carlito who had charisma and impressive in-ring skills but became careless.

there wasa clip once of ric flair telling carlito off for wanting to party with torrie wilson. Ric went mad on screen and laid into him and the younger generation, -storyline or not carlito's career went down faster than katie price and a premiership footballer