PDA

View Full Version : Why do you not like Rey Mysterio?

nrb6304
11-06-2010, 10:39 AM
I recently bought the new Chris Jericho DVD(worth it) And in it is a match between Y2J and Rey from 2009 Extreme Rulez. And in a time when matches were not very good these two had a kick ass match. So I started looking for other recent matches of his and they are all really good.
The man can fly he can techincically wrestle and he can brawl.
So why all the hate towards him?

Is he WAAAAAAY over withe kids? HELL YEAH!
Does he sell A LOOOOOT of merch? HELL YEAH!

So why is it that the IWC hates him?
I don't get it.....

Rich Cranium
11-06-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't hate Rey at all. I remember seeing him in WCW for the first time and I had to staple my eyelids open because all it takes is one blink to miss a great move with that guy.

SaberToothTigerz
11-06-2010, 10:43 AM
possibly because of the kids
i like rey mysterio

Rich Cranium
11-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Just don't ever take his mask off like WCW did.

IrkenInvader
11-06-2010, 10:50 AM
My problem is his finisher, I mean I can't beleive someone can be stunned for 10 seconds by a drop toe hold to the second rope.

Rich Cranium
11-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Check this vid from Santino asking if Rey is "the Batman":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Heg2YFPPPQ8

TJHawkesybaby
11-06-2010, 10:53 AM
My problem is his finisher, I mean I can't beleive someone can be stunned for 10 seconds by a drop toe hold to the second rope.

Agree with that!

But Rey is awesome! BAck in the day of ECW and WCW he was the man! The Mysterio vs Morison match for the IC belt last year was one of the best matches ive seen in a long time!

TJHawkesybaby
11-06-2010, 10:56 AM
"Im Rey Mastreo!" lmao!!!

evilgenius780
11-06-2010, 11:27 AM
No hate to Rey, he is awesome, but I agree, keep the mask on.

SaberToothTigerz
11-06-2010, 12:15 PM
defenetly
vince was smart to make mysterio wear the mask, what's a wrestling business without just one luchador with a mask?

cubco
11-06-2010, 12:50 PM
I like Rey in a way because he is a great wrestler.

But I hate the little bastard. Lets face it, if Eddie Guerero had never died, Rey would have never won the World title or be the giant killer or be the superhero. He would be IC/US at best, which is were he should be. In my eyes, Rey is only where he is now, because of Eddie dying. Thats why i hate him.

But at the same time I like him because he is good in the ring

jethro
11-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Never hate Rey before,been following his stuff since wcw days,his finisher springboard snap hurricanrana into pin was awesome.

His match also good and exciting against the likes of Jericho,Punk,Ziggler,Undertaker etc.

Bodom
11-06-2010, 01:29 PM
His whole gimmick of "Ultimate Underdog" is just as much a joke as Cena "overcoming odds"

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Please allow the most stand out forum poster in the EWN community to give his infinite wisdom on this matter. I like Rey and he sure can entertain with his in-ring fast pace style. I just have a hard time believing he can beat monsters like the Big Show. I know its a show and its nice for the underdog to win but lets face it, he wouldn't last 30 seconds with a man of Big Show's size and strength. On a side note I have worked with Mexicans my whole life and they are not only funny they have the best personality traits I have ever seen in people. Rey's character being the underdog is fine but I think he could spice it up with some humor or work ethic. Reys personality now is about as good as a http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1UCpDS6y1Bte61H0-P3eaX0Qj6Az--RZ9NpfmX5OYJWC12p4&t=1&usg=__X5uLntqs6JovxNj2idg6BrUg1rw=
U MAD???

Bodom
11-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Exactly. He's not an Underdog when he always wins.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-06-2010, 01:57 PM
I like Rey in a way because he is a great wrestler.

But I hate the little bastard. Lets face it, if Eddie Guerero had never died, Rey would have never won the World title or be the giant killer or be the superhero. He would be IC/US at best, which is were he should be. In my eyes, Rey is only where he is now, because of Eddie dying. Thats why i hate him.

But at the same time I like him because he is good in the ring

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsBdu6JgTRZjVqfC1hnrcqrlKQgFQt4 5LrWGjFPcRr2qsKpJQ&t=1&h=191&w=194&usg=__mBMS_CL85NnufOykiZVaLN5JlFA=

A.Graham
11-06-2010, 02:01 PM
He is the smackdown version of cena and his matches just look good because WWE only have one proper high flyer so when stuff like that happens all the hypocricital sheep watching the WWE are amazed if they tuned into TNA and saw Amazing Red they would die of over-exposured to awesomeness. Rey Mysterio is shit and is way too over hyped.

PersonalPet98
11-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Lol....i'm with you i hate the little show-off too. I thought I was the only one who felt this way. The only reason he's where he is, is because Eddie Guerrero dying. How I miss that guy. He was a joy to watch. The reason I hate started hating Rey is when they let him become on equal footing with guys like Batista and Cane, in WCW, he used to get throttled by the bigs like Giant Show, Nash, Scott Norton and even Buff Bagwell. Now all of a sudden he's tough enough to fight 6'5 muscleman Bastita? It had to be insulting to Bastita to go toe to toe with this in his last few matches before he resigned. He was fine as a Luche Libradore, but now he's tough as Brock Lesnar, what a joke.......

TJHawkesybaby
11-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Lol....i'm with you i hate the little show-off too. I thought I was the only one who felt this way. The only reason he's where he is, is because Eddie Guerrero dying. How I miss that guy. He was a joy to watch. The reason I hate started hating Rey is when they let him become on equal footing with guys like Batista and Cane, in WCW, he used to get throttled by the bigs like Giant Show, Nash, Scott Norton and even Buff Bagwell. Now all of a sudden he's tough enough to fight 6'5 muscleman Bastita? It had to be insulting to Bastita to go toe to toe with this in his last few matches before he resigned. He was fine as a Luche Libradore, but now he's tough as Brock Lesnar, what a joke.......

What an absolute load of crap!!!!

That is all....!

Bodom
11-06-2010, 02:57 PM

I wanna see Mysterio fight a Cane.

TJHawkesybaby
11-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I wanna see Mysterio fight a Cane.

ROFL!!!

Bringing up Eddie's death into this argument is bullsh*t!!!

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Lol....i'm with you i hate the little show-off too. The only reason he's where he is, is because Eddie Guerrero dying. .

I already gave out the dumbass of the week award but you can take the http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHNN_uys94hnBrFS7MeyBbGVjmdGTpv rFc0oVZa1ZAiUz5Awg&t=1&usg=__h6DOHunJg7l4WOUnihlGeXIf9Pg= and think about what you just wrote http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAA9kYlBP_VyWxkijP2E02dweR9GmAX Mu-nONuIsrb86X9iME&t=1&h=191&w=195&usg=__7afyQeENuM1a9_mMQdBANHoSJIk=
U MAD???

Stihltygre
11-06-2010, 04:30 PM
hate to throw reality into your mix of "i can't believe this fictional storyline because it doesn't fit the world the way my eyes see it" i spent a good bit of my life fighting, street fights organized martial arts etc, were i younger i'd have gone into MMA.
At 21 i was taller but lighter than Mysterio, my sparring partner was 7ft and over 300 lbs, i had ways to beat him, in fact it wasn't the big guys i worried about, as a rule Big guy vs little guy bigger guys tend to get their head handed to them if the little guy has training enough, they as a rule are too slow, and smaller fighters learn to roll punches and deflect damage better, we HAVE to, i don't care how big you are I tear the tendons on your knee you drop i kick you in the throat you choke and die.
I had issues with smaller fighters.
so the whole he couldn't do whatever is bs deal with it Little guys can win with the right training.

I like there being an underdog, i even kind of like Super Cena, i think they could both be better written but the concept of a straight up good guy has Value. My reasons for liking him as a wrestler have nothing to do with size storyline or anything but talent. It's about body movement and does he put on the show i want to watch, i like him for the same reasons i don't like christian, Ray comes off the rope and his body send the message that he is flying, he has a grace and a fluidity to his movements that make them look cool as shit, the 619 wouldn't be much more than an annoyance, but then again so would most other finishers, very few finishing moves would be remotely effective in a fight except the ones based on real martial arts moves, and the pile driver, really give someone a pile driver you will seriously mess them up, possible kill them, a DDT done right could knock someone out but it's not even used as a finisher any more. this is all meant to look cool , and he does it well, he makes his moves believable for the most part, where as christian always looks as if he is suffering from back pain.

MrNolan
11-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Anyone know why he stopped doing the Hurricarana pin move from the apron? He hasn't done it since WCW days.

Bodom
11-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Anyone know why he stopped doing the Hurricarana pin move from the apron? He hasn't done it since WCW days.

Im guessing his bad knees.

SaberToothTigerz
11-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Im guessing his bad knees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqWYXOqn9T0

IrkenInvader
11-06-2010, 05:39 PM
I hate him because without his ultimate underdog gimmick there is no way he could beleivably beat guys like Orton.

SaberToothTigerz
11-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I hate him because without his ultimate underdog gimmick there is no way he could beleivably beat guys like Orton.

was it ever done? mysterio vs orton?

IrkenInvader
11-06-2010, 05:47 PM
was it ever done? mysterio vs orton?

Wrestlemania 23(?) Orton vs Mysterio vs Angle

SilverGhost
11-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Wrestlemania 23(?) Orton vs Mysterio vs Angle

21 I believe. In Chicago.

Kashdinero
11-07-2010, 12:41 AM
21 I believe. In Chicago.

Dude!?! It was 22 the first mania after eddy's passing. Sad thats how I remember it : (

SilverGhost
11-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Dude!?! It was 22 the first mania after eddy's passing. Sad thats how I remember it : (

I knew I was off for some reason!

Dammit....and I have the DVD too and I didn't look for it.

Kashdinero
11-07-2010, 12:58 AM
I knew I was off for some reason!

Dammit....and I have the DVD too and I didn't look for it.

I had it on a (recorded) VHS tape!! Just like many (MANY) other classics I'll never watch again... curse you technology for evolving!!!

SilverGhost
11-07-2010, 01:06 AM
I had it on a (recorded) VHS tape!! Just like many (MANY) other classics I'll never watch again... curse you technology for evolving!!!

I have it on a pirated DVD.

The guy records the PPV on the week its scheduled, makes numerous copies, and sells them the next weekend. I have the whole 2006~2007 PPVs.

Kashdinero
11-07-2010, 01:51 AM
I have it on a pirated DVD.

The guy records the PPV on the week its scheduled, makes numerous copies, and sells them the next weekend. I have the whole 2006~2007 PPVs.

I'm in the middle of downloading almost every WWF/WWE PPV ever... I'm at the year 2000 and there's like 150 PPVs to go!! I dont have the time for this!!!

Anyway.

Rey.

Wimp.

Rey was forever tarnished in my eyes the day Battista ended their bromance and ripped him to pieces

"No Big Dave.. Please don't beat me up Dave.. I love you man OWWW"

SilverGhost
11-07-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm in the middle of downloading almost every WWF/WWE PPV ever... I'm at the year 2000 and there's like 150 PPVs to go!! I dont have the time for this!!!

Anyway.

Rey.

Wimp.

Rey was forever tarnished in my eyes the day Battista ended their bromance and ripped him to pieces

"No Big Dave.. Please don't beat me up Dave.. I love you man OWWW"

I remember Dave saying "Eddie? Eddie is dead"

I guess that storyline was very touchy on that.

Kashdinero
11-07-2010, 02:14 AM
I can't see how WWE thinks having it's heels mention eddy in a disrespectful tone is acceptable. I really can't. It is so uncomfortable when they do that.... Shame on them.. Just shame on all involved : (

SilverGhost
11-07-2010, 02:25 AM
I can't see how WWE thinks having it's heels mention eddy in a disrespectful tone is acceptable. I really can't. It is so uncomfortable when they do that.... Shame on them.. Just shame on all involved : (

I would probably guess that Dave and Rey must have hated that. More on Rey than Dave. "A certain someone" said something messed up about Eddie in a storyline against Rey, saying Eddie is in hell. I really didn't enjoy that or got entertained at all. But I feel that WWE used Rey as another Eddie. Though I know for a damn fact, as talented as Rey is, Eddie isn't replaceable.

Kashdinero
11-07-2010, 02:36 AM
No one ever will replace eddy... So great.
To be fair Rey kinda represents (along with Jericho) the WCW/ECW 90's era guys who used to tear it up. He's almost the last man (barely) standing out out of that group. Man those were good times

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-07-2010, 02:51 AM
I don't hate Rey as a wrestler, but I do hate how the WWE books him sometimes. He is supposed to be the "ultimate underdog" right? But as someone else already said, he always wins!! How can you be an underdog who consistently beats guys like Batista and Swagger? I think it's cool to have Rey occasionally upsetting a main event player, but consistently staying in the upper-midcard region and not winning any more heavyweight gold. Besides all that, he's about as entertaining as dish water on the mic and can never really cut a great promo unless he had someone else carry it for him (ala Eddy when he was trying to steal Dominic...RIP Eddie). In-ring I have no problem with him though, and as I said, I think his peak should be IC gold.

Bam
11-07-2010, 02:55 AM
I used to think Rey Mysterio was a beast back when he made his WWE debut with Smackdown!. He was mysterious, quick, and he even looked creepy. Now it just seems like something is missing from the Rey Mysterio of today. I just can not place a finger on it.

Bam
11-07-2010, 02:59 AM
See what I mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwumzpmw6VM&feature=related

SaberToothTigerz
11-07-2010, 06:52 AM
See what I mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwumzpmw6VM&feature=related

his white lens is what's missing

Rassling_Fan
11-07-2010, 10:54 AM
He is the smackdown version of cena and his matches just look good because WWE only have one proper high flyer so when stuff like that happens all the hypocricital sheep watching the WWE are amazed if they tuned into TNA and saw Amazing Red they would die of over-exposured to awesomeness.

Speaking of Amazing Red, when was the last time he was on Impact? Maybe if they show him off more they would get hire ratings...

As for Rey, I think he would be better wrestling under his own weight class. I enjoy his match with Ziggler, except that he won. Seeing him against giants isn't as entertaining.

nrb6304
11-07-2010, 12:01 PM
22 in Chicago. main event was cena triple h. GREAT match btw both the triple threat and cena/Hunter

IPOOPINTHEBATH
11-07-2010, 03:43 PM
For me it's two things.

When Rey first debuted in the 'E he was amazing. My young adolescent mind had a hard time figuring out exactly what he was doing half the time. He's slowed down A LOT since then, and you rarely see anything new. Stiff on the mic, and I hate seeing Rey overcome the odds every single time more than I hate seeing Cena do it.

The other is the passing of Eddie. He won the Rumble "for Eddie" which is probably the biggest load of shit ever. He used the memory of his dead friend as a push to the top. Maybe it would have been different if it had been a year or two after Eddie's passing and Rey had dedicated his win or run to Eddie. But it was mere months after. I realize it's not just Rey and the 'E is responsible for the booking, but Rey could have said no, hell he SHOULD have said no. It was too soon. Rey got his push. The 'E got to push their angle and make a SHITLOAD of Eddie Guerrero armbands. Eddie got his name used from beyond the grave.

I still wouldn't say I hate the man, I just have no respect for him nor does he entertain me.

Bodom
11-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Very well put.

SilverGhost
11-07-2010, 03:53 PM
As for Rey, I think he would be better wrestling under his own weight class.

I would too. Giant killing is good once in a while but consistantly no. If the cruiserweight division was still around, he would be champ by now. But since he has gotten that big push, him leaving the world title picture is not likely. Just like Cena, kids like to see Rey as the World Champ.