PDA

View Full Version : Has Nexus made THE impact

alexrules01
11-04-2010, 08:40 AM
I open this thread to ask- has Nexus become the group people will talk about in 5-10 years time?
I started watching wrestling in 2005, but I have neard the term nWo coined a few times. I think i get what the group was about, but they are talked about still today. What made the nWo such a talk about topic?
Has Nexus done this? Will it endure the test of times and be topic people talk about when we see these young stars in their prime years?

Rassling_Fan
11-04-2010, 09:10 AM
The nWo was a group that gave WCW dominance for the longest time in the Monday Night Wars. It was so successful, people have tried to recreate it or bring it back. It took the idea of an invasion and made it an interesting storyline. But the longer it lasted, the longer people got sick of it.

I believe the reason nWo is talked about for so long is because it is the best and worst example of an invasion angle. From the beginning, it was the greatest storyline of the Monday Night Wars. When it started to get downhill, it became the reason people left in droves.

Bodom
11-04-2010, 09:19 AM
The nWo was a group that gave WCW dominance for the longest time in the Monday Night Wars. It was so successful, people have tried to recreate it or bring it back. It took the idea of an invasion and made it an interesting storyline. But the longer it lasted, the longer people got sick of it.

I believe the reason nWo is talked about for so long is because it is the best and worst example of an invasion angle. From the beginning, it was the greatest storyline of the Monday Night Wars. When it started to get downhill, it became the reason people left in droves.

Very well put.

vbirwin
11-04-2010, 11:04 AM
The Nexus has been a good angle but I think it has just about run it's course. They may be remembered because they were upstarts who made an impression but they won't be remembered as an elite faction like the NWO or the 4 Horsemen. What made those groups great was that every member of the group was an elite established respected wrestler who was a dominant singles wrestler outside the group. Nexus doesn't have that at all outside of maybe Barrett. The original NWO lineup was Nash, Hall, and Hogan. The original horsemen were Flair, The Andersons, and Blanchard. Compare those names to the Nexus with guys like Otunga, Slater, Tarver and Darren Young. There is no comparison at all. Nexus is a nice flash in the pan but with the exception of one or two I doubt most of the guys in Nexus will even be around WWE in two years.

bcfccalum
11-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Also the start of the NWO was hogan turning his back on Randy Savage and turning heel, seeing as he was one of the most popular stars in wrestling at the time, it was massive when it happened, people saw it as judas and a betrayal, thats why that is still talked about, not to mention several rehashes of the NWO in WCW, WWE and TNA to get people to talk about it

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. The NEXUS angle is the best NEW angle in pro rasslin in YEARS. I don't think its fair to compare the NEXUS to NWO for the reason's already stated. The NEXUS is up and comers, fresh meat if you will. Most of the greats in pro rasslin are getting up there in age and nobody wants to see them go to the ring in a wheelchair (are you listening TNA). I'm not saying all the members of NEXUS will be in the main event at Wrestlemania but they are getting better in the ring and in promo's, Vince being the teacher is just the thing they need to get over. Now if only the WWE will get rid of those stupid http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYh_eKQVftjBa0BIl22EjiA2x2gH4zO c0R2wWZSngBw7Deho0&t=1&usg=__PcTMQn8pbewKa7EfjBuYb_s5Bec= and come up with a better one, people might just buy them. U MAD???

SilverGhost
11-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. The NEXUS angle is the best NEW angle in pro rasslin in YEARS. I don't think its fair to compare the NEXUS to NWO for the reason's already stated. The NEXUS is up and comers, fresh meat if you will. Most of the greats in pro rasslin are getting up there in age and nobody wants to see them go to the ring in a wheelchair (are you listening TNA). I'm not saying all the members of NEXUS will be in the main event at Wrestlemania but they are getting better in the ring and in promo's, Vince being the teacher is just the thing they need to get over. Now if only the WWE will get rid of those stupid http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYh_eKQVftjBa0BIl22EjiA2x2gH4zO c0R2wWZSngBw7Deho0&t=1&usg=__PcTMQn8pbewKa7EfjBuYb_s5Bec= and come up with a better one, people might just buy them. U MAD???

http://www.wweshop.com/images/products/W02780zm.jpg

???

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks silverGhost for showing me a new NEXUS shirt, I haven't seen it before. It's an improvement but did you have show the LIFE SIZE PICTURE OF IT???

johnadah
11-04-2010, 12:21 PM
There were so many things that made the nWo angle work. The first of which was the invasion. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash showing up on WCW programming was a surprise to many people and drew a lot of attention. The aforemention Hogan heel turn was not just a key factor, it was monumental. Until that point, Hogan was the greatest super-face of all time. His turn was unthought of by most and it shook the foundation of a lot of viewers.

One thing that made the angle work so well, and what kept WCW on top of the ratings for more than 3 years, was the speechlessness and constant speculation of Sting. He's the most popular wrestler in history to have never wrestled for McMahon. This one man would hang out in the rafters and attack the nWo at key moments. Sometimes he would take out every member by himself, sometimes he would be left lying in the ring. But you never knew what was going to happen or if Sting would even show up.

I think WWE has tried, at least to some degree, to make Cena their version of Sting.

johnadah
11-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Sorry for having to use multiple posts to comment on this, but my phone greatly limits how many characters I can use in a post.

While these things worked for nWo, the Nexus angle is different. The first Raw episode when Nexus made their initial impact was the best episode of Raw in years. A major difference in the angles is that the nWo relied on a large number of previously established stars joining this super-heel group. Some of them were turning heel for the first time in their careers. However, Nexus is about a bunch of young guys uniting in order to overcome the struggle of making it in the business. These guys are young and hungry and are willing to do whatever it takes to make their impact. That's what is so attractive about the angle. That's what makes it so good. You get to watch and see how far these guys will go to make sure that their names are part of the wrestling history books.

SilverGhost
11-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks silverGhost for showing me a new NEXUS shirt, I haven't seen it before. It's an improvement but did you have show the LIFE SIZE PICTURE OF IT???

Yes so I can catch your attention.

If I showed this http://justin-gabriel.net/photos/albums/userpics/10001/thumb_W02780X.jpg You would have to squint.

Bodom
11-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Wow another shirt with a giant N

NWOMyGawd
11-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Sadly enough, the Nexus probably will be looked at the same way as the NWO and the Horseman. The problem is....you can't even compare the Horseman to the NWO or vice versa. It's 3 completely different storylines and creations of stables. Notice how the Horseman have lasted thru the ages (to the point of they are still tryin to copy it on TNA) but the NWO fails no matter where else it goes now. Nexus is just a group that WWE is using to push across Wade Barrett bc they prolly dont think that he can carry himself to main event by himself. Hopefully the storyline will be ending soon enough and we can move onto the next storyline as Nexus is starting to get old. Have a nice day.

SilverGhost
11-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Wow another shirt with a giant N

http://olivahouse.pl/Joseph-Decreux-U-MAD-BRO.jpg

wallyman
11-04-2010, 01:38 PM
ok pee in the shower is right but i think hes also wrong...if u seen nexus as a group they are horrible...as far as new stars they made wade barret and made somewhat stand out of utonga and gabriel. point being is u cannot compare nexus to nwo as nwo was a whole diffent story and they were top draws...i actually think nexus was hurt when they got involved with cena and he took all of em out...however they are managing to make a start out of wade...and 2 more being utonga and gabriel..has nexus made and impact yest they have...but not as a group and thats what u want a group to do and it seems to me its fail...i think fortune has a better example ofhow a group should be...everyone in fortune has their own matches and can actually work...as for nexus each time its a beat down or some weird scenario were they dont wrestle.

Mr. McMahon
11-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Nexus makes an impact sure... they make an impact every monday night inside the pants of every john cena hater

johnadah
11-04-2010, 03:01 PM
@wallyman

I don't think that WWE has made a star out of David Otunga at all. And, if we're all lucky, they never will. He can't talk, he can't wrestle, he has no talent, his finish looks like trash. The only reason he is there is because he is dating some famous singer and WWE wants to capitalize on that fact. I'd rather watch Heath Slater make out with Chuckie from the Childs Play movies than watch Otunga "wrestle". Barrett is already becoming a star. Gabriel deserves to be a star. Otunga needs to be released from his contract.

Bodom
11-04-2010, 03:02 PM
The only reason he is there is because he is dating some famous singer and WWE wants to capitalize on that fact.

Nailed it right on the head.

Bodom
11-04-2010, 03:03 PM
http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/474f93a2_10e1_debe.jpg

Good job with the broken image link.

SilverGhost
11-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Good job with the broken image link.

I know right.

I am too good.

SilverGhost
11-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Nexus makes an impact sure... they make an impact every monday night inside the pants of every john cena hater

http://www11.myfantasyleague.com/fflnetdynamic2009/43305_franchise_icon0008.jpg

AndyWonder
11-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Nice differential made with Nexus and Fortune. Nexus mainly does rely on group attack segments and letting only one or two people talk. Fortune lets everyone speak and wrestle singly. Last time all non-Barrett Nexus members wrestled singly (that I can remember) was the night after Summerslam. Barrett is really the only one who speaks, Otunga gets to talk sometimes, and everyone else has to be trophies. Before Tarver got booted, he was the second most vocal member. i figured Otunga would be booted next since he was the next most vocal.
ok pee in the shower is right but i think hes also wrong...if u seen nexus as a group they are horrible...as far as new stars they made wade barret and made somewhat stand out of utonga and gabriel. point being is u cannot compare nexus to nwo as nwo was a whole diffent story and they were top draws...i actually think nexus was hurt when they got involved with cena and he took all of em out...however they are managing to make a start out of wade...and 2 more being utonga and gabriel..has nexus made and impact yest they have...but not as a group and thats what u want a group to do and it seems to me its fail...i think fortune has a better example ofhow a group should be...everyone in fortune has their own matches and can actually work...as for nexus each time its a beat down or some weird scenario were they dont wrestle.

SevenCagedTigers
11-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Now if only the WWE will get rid of those stupid http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYh_eKQVftjBa0BIl22EjiA2x2gH4zO c0R2wWZSngBw7Deho0&t=1&usg=__PcTMQn8pbewKa7EfjBuYb_s5Bec= and come up with a better one, people might just buy them.

Say what you will about that stupid Nexus shirt, but that yellow "N" has become iconic. The WWE made a mistake in thinking it could make a merchandise profit out of a heel faction, the Nexus shirts should have never gone on sale. Nobody has ever purchased an Iron Shiek shirt, nobody ever wore a Kamala lioncloth, and yet we consider those people Hall of Famers. The purpose of a heel isn't to be a merchandising powerhouse, a heel is merely a plot device. Do you think that yellow "N" is any more attractive of a design than the NWO logo? No. Theyre both 3-minute rush jobs on Photoshop, anyone could make it. But what made the NWO shirts a top seller was that it was a movement people could get behind. You don't sell more shirts by rennovating the design, you sell them by creating a movement thats not unlike a cult. That yellow N, as stupid as it may be, stands out in posters and in arenas. You think Nexus hasn't made an impact? They've taken out the Undertaker and they've made Cena subservient.

The only thing that Nexus needs is to have more defined roles for its members, and for the faction to no longer have a revolving door when it comes to its members. Daniel Bryan has lost all ties to NXT. Tarver and Sheffield are out with injuries and Sheffield has been stricken from all promo materials as having been a member. Buckwheat was kicked out and is floundering without direction. And two NXT season two alumni were thrown into the mix despite McGuillacutti cutting a promo saying "This will be the day you remember as Mcguillacutti's Genesis." It made it seem like Mr. Perfect's son was going to start his own Nexus named Genesis on Smackdown. Leave the shirt alone, the only thing that makes this faction look weak is the fact that they haven't stayed 8 strong.

Bodom
11-05-2010, 08:22 AM
I would totally buy a Kamala loincloth. Just sayin

SilverGhost
11-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Say what you will about that stupid Nexus shirt, but that yellow "N" has become iconic. The WWE made a mistake in thinking it could make a merchandise profit out of a heel faction, the Nexus shirts should have never gone on sale. Nobody has ever purchased an Iron Shiek shirt, nobody ever wore a Kamala lioncloth, and yet we consider those people Hall of Famers. The purpose of a heel isn't to be a merchandising powerhouse, a heel is merely a plot device. Do you think that yellow "N" is any more attractive of a design than the NWO logo? No. Theyre both 3-minute rush jobs on Photoshop, anyone could make it. But what made the NWO shirts a top seller was that it was a movement people could get behind. You don't sell more shirts by rennovating the design, you sell them by creating a movement thats not unlike a cult. That yellow N, as stupid as it may be, stands out in posters and in arenas. You think Nexus hasn't made an impact? They've taken out the Undertaker and they've made Cena subservient.

The only thing that Nexus needs is to have more defined roles for its members, and for the faction to no longer have a revolving door when it comes to its members. Daniel Bryan has lost all ties to NXT. Tarver and Sheffield are out with injuries and Sheffield has been stricken from all promo materials as having been a member. Buckwheat was kicked out and is floundering without direction. And two NXT season two alumni were thrown into the mix despite McGuillacutti cutting a promo saying "This will be the day you remember as Mcguillacutti's Genesis." It made it seem like Mr. Perfect's son was going to start his own Nexus named Genesis on Smackdown. Leave the shirt alone, the only thing that makes this faction look weak is the fact that they haven't stayed 8 strong.

Well they did make a better shirt. http://justin-gabriel.net/photos/albums/userpics/10001/thumb_W02780X.jpg If only display this.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Nobody has ever purchased an Iron Shiek shirt

I may have never purchased one but thats because I'm not sure of which one I want yet.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyO_vNAuyLP8AGZw17iBdwfZpdqfbud SX3fNoviCKrjEOCZSY&t=1&usg=__99Ll4yRc5m_d4Wi0sutZ3kfkIlw=

or
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIrPxixwqVaHjo1DCbG4XU4fFNVpE_w aufsyKzVsv_I91Nxb0&t=1&usg=__qeyaX6c1Xl2mo9i0N3W8l6HrhNk=

Belzova
11-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I may have never purchased one but thats because I'm not sure of which one I want yet.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyO_vNAuyLP8AGZw17iBdwfZpdqfbud SX3fNoviCKrjEOCZSY&t=1&usg=__99Ll4yRc5m_d4Wi0sutZ3kfkIlw=

or
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIrPxixwqVaHjo1DCbG4XU4fFNVpE_w aufsyKzVsv_I91Nxb0&t=1&usg=__qeyaX6c1Xl2mo9i0N3W8l6HrhNk=

Those seriously look like they would only be worth a penny.

SilverGhost
11-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Those seriously look like they would only be worth a penny.

I guess the second one makes sense xD

SaberToothTigerz
11-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I guess the second one makes sense xD

specially after his most recent hit
Hogan knows no boundaries by showing his genitals.

Tha Crows Nest
11-05-2010, 12:44 PM
@wallyman

I'd rather watch Heath Slater make out with Chuckie from the Childs Play movies than watch Otunga "wrestle".

Lol this made me LOL seriously

johnadah
11-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I would totally buy a Kamala loincloth. Just sayin

I second that.

Also, I have a close friend who bought an Iron Shiek T-Shirt. And tons of other heels have sold very well: nWo, Edge, Jericho, the Rock, Undertaker has been a heel numerous times in his career and still managed to sell, Mick Foley as Mankind, The Four Horsemen, DDP. I could go on and on. Nexus simply hasn't made that type of impact. They started off red hot, but they have dwindled down to a few remaining embers of a fire that desperately needs to be stoked.

Bodom
11-05-2010, 02:57 PM
I second that.

Also, I have a close friend who bought an Iron Shiek T-Shirt. And tons of other heels have sold very well: nWo, Edge, Jericho, the Rock, Undertaker has been a heel numerous times in his career and still managed to sell, Mick Foley as Mankind, The Four Horsemen, DDP. I could go on and on. Nexus simply hasn't made that type of impact. They started off red hot, but they have dwindled down to a few remaining embers of a fire that desperately needs to be stoked.

I don't think it's how over they are. It's a shitty shirt. I mean who the fuck want a shirt with a giant n on it?!

IrkenInvader
11-05-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't think it's how over they are. It's a shitty shirt. I mean who the fuck want a shirt with a giant n on it?!

That other girl from Salt N Pepa.

Bodom
11-05-2010, 03:03 PM
That other girl from Salt N Pepa.

You sonofabitch.

Beautifully played. Bravo

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-05-2010, 03:09 PM

My Black friends would wonder about me if I wore that. Just sayin...
U MAD???

Bodom
11-05-2010, 03:12 PM
U MAD???

Im fairly certain they already wonder about you

SaberToothTigerz
11-05-2010, 03:13 PM
U MAD???

A anti cena shirt would get them back dont worry.

NightWolf
11-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I actually bought a Nexus shirt. I'd never wear it though. I just bought it because I am an avid Wrestling collector, and I always have to buy like every shirt or item. ;D

SilverGhost
11-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm just getting the armband.

Way better than the usual shirt but I would get the other Nexus shirt.

Bodom
11-05-2010, 03:21 PM
I actually bought a Nexus shirt. I'd never wear it though. I just bought it because I am an avid Wrestling collector, and I always have to buy like every shirt or item. ;D

Nothing wrong with buying it for collection purposes.

I would honestly be embarrassed to wear it.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Nothing wrong with buying it for collection purposes.

I would honestly be embarrassed to wear it.

EMBARRASSED, walk into the wrong neighborhood and you would get SHOT!!!!

muuuhahahhahaha

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Im fairly certain they already wonder about you

touche' or too shay

Rich Cranium
11-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Maybe you would feel better walking around with this:

NightWolf
11-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Maybe you would feel better walking around with this:

I know I would.

SilverGhost
11-05-2010, 04:23 PM

muuuhahahhahaha

Nah this is a wrong theory xD

My friend did it and nothing happened!

Bodom
11-05-2010, 07:12 PM

muuuhahahhahaha

Since when is a letter offensive?