PDA

View Full Version : Was the divas season the down fall of NXT?

URATOOL
04-05-2012, 04:39 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ft822rDlu5Q/TLghH5_QZhI/AAAAAAAABl4/f8fo6i1R-jU/s1600/Giant-Lindsay-Hayward-15.jpg

The first season of NXT was obviously a good idea. When you look at how many of them are now on the main roster and include now former WHC, IC and US champions. Then season two rolled along and we got what felt a bit like left overs from season one short listing. Some were good, some were shocking. Most are back in FCW. But it was still watchable

Then came the diva seasons. From that season we have gained a backing dancer, a girlfriend to a fired GM, a badly treated former girlfriend of a former WHC, a fired giant (personally I think they should have kept her) and a crazy woman who isn't sure who, in the current season of NXTm she is dating/screwing/marrying etc... So a pretty pointless group. Obviously I'm very glad that Kaitlyn got a contract. But the divas that got contracts (AJ and Kaitlyn) rarely make it to the big two shows (unless you count AJ being on DB's leash).

Since season 3 the show has got worse and the competitors less interesting. The current season is likely to surpass RAW as the longest running weekly episodic show. So was the divas show the nail in the coffin or was it going to get this shit anyway.

HCollins-TNA1
04-05-2012, 04:46 PM
The 1st season was after the 1st 3 episodes...... Really they just over-all fail at making NXT a show to be proud of......It was more the less a Variety hour when it was on TV!!!!

Tommy Thunder
04-05-2012, 04:50 PM
NXT is a good watch now. It's nothing like when it started. Now, it's a show that showcases good tag team wrestling and gives a chance for guys like Tyson Kidd, Trent Baretta, Justing Gabriel, Yoshi Tatsu, Percy Watson, Joe Henning a chance to shine. Plus Regal on commentary, can't ask for more than that!

URATOOL
04-05-2012, 04:53 PM
NXT is a good watch now. It's nothing like when it started. Now, it's a show that showcases good tag team wrestling and gives a chance for guys like Tyson Kidd, Trent Baretta, Justing Gabriel, Yoshi Tatsu, Percy Watson, Joe Henning a chance to shine. Plus Regal on commentary, can't ask for more than that!

Then it's not really NXT anymore is it. It should be rebranded as the forth WWE show after RAW, Smackdown and Superstars. Maybe call it WWE Young Bloods or something equally cheesey.

Robstar
04-05-2012, 04:55 PM
I think the whole idea was lacking in so many ways. Dodgy idea, poorly executed and you got the feeling that WWE never really put their whole weight behind it.

Asherdelampyr
04-05-2012, 04:57 PM
what made me stop watching NXT after season 1 is all the non-wrestling bullshit that they had them do... It was just crap, the keg hauling, the obstacle courses, all of it.

Oddly enough, I didn't mind the odd challenge on Tough Enough... perhaps it is just the setting, or not having 20,000 people sitting in the audience watching these guys fail.

I continued through season 1 because I wanted to see if Wade would win or not (I thought that he would purely based on Jericho being his mentor) and then never bothered to watch any of the others

if they have gotten rid of the crap, I am all for watching it again

URATOOL
04-05-2012, 04:58 PM
I think the whole idea was lacking in so many ways. Dodgy idea, poorly executed and you got the feeling that WWE never really put their whole weight behind it.

I disagree. I think Season one wasn't a bad idea at all. And the fact most are now on the roster and doing pretty solidly says a lot about that season. But after that it slipped and then went free fall. Maybe it should have been something done every 2 or 3 years. Not back to back.

Asherdelampyr
04-05-2012, 05:02 PM
this may sound counter-intuitive, but another part that kinda ruined NXT in my opinion was that everybody ended up on the main roster anyway, despite the entire premise being that 1 guy would claim a contract, and the others would go home. I realize that by now I should be used to wrestling lying to me (That is what it is best at) but it still took the desire to see the rest out, since it didn't seem to matter who won anyway.

or to put it another way, Wade Barrett won the contract and the title match, but if memory serves, Daniel Bryan got a title before anyone else of that NXT group, so what was the point of the title match?

xAzureSkye
04-05-2012, 05:03 PM
are you kidding Season 3 was hilarious. More about entertainment than finding a new Diva, but thank God Kaitlyn replaced Isis or it would have been even worse, I really enjoyed the whole experience, of course the wrestling wasnt great but I wasnt expecting it to be - 4 women with less than a year experience and 2 well rounded athletic wrestlers, it wasnt going to be that good. it would have been better if they hadnt have replaced Savannah with Jamie

xAzureSkye
04-05-2012, 05:04 PM
this may sound counter-intuitive, but another part that kinda ruined NXT in my opinion was that everybody ended up on the main roster anyway, despite the entire premise being that 1 guy would claim a contract, and the others would go home. I realize that by now I should be used to wrestling lying to me (That is what it is best at) but it still took the desire to see the rest out, since it didn't seem to matter who won anyway.

or to put it another way, Wade Barrett won the contract and the title match, but if memory serves, Daniel Bryan got a title before anyone else of that NXT group, so what was the point of the title match?

I thought the winner of NXT got a title shot?? and than when NXt3 hit it was about contracts.

Haruko Haruhara
04-05-2012, 05:15 PM
NXT was the downfall of NXT

imswm
04-05-2012, 05:21 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ft822rDlu5Q/TLghH5_QZhI/AAAAAAAABl4/f8fo6i1R-jU/s1600/Giant-Lindsay-Hayward-15.jpg

The first season of NXT was obviously a good idea. When you look at how many of them are now on the main roster and include now former WHC, IC and US champions. Then season two rolled along and we got what felt a bit like left overs from season one short listing. Some were good, some were shocking. Most are back in FCW. But it was still watchable

Then came the diva seasons. From that season we have gained a backing dancer, a girlfriend to a fired GM, a badly treated former girlfriend of a former WHC, a fired giant (personally I think they should have kept her) and a crazy woman who isn't sure who, in the current season of NXTm she is dating/screwing/marrying etc... So a pretty pointless group. Obviously I'm very glad that Kaitlyn got a contract. But the divas that got contracts (AJ and Kaitlyn) rarely make it to the big two shows (unless you count AJ being on DB's leash).

Since season 3 the show has got worse and the competitors less interesting. The current season is likely to surpass RAW as the longest running weekly episodic show. So was the divas show the nail in the coffin or was it going to get this shit anyway.

I'd have to consider the diva "season" a TREMENDOUS success. Look how many top-quality wrestlers came out of it, and the incredible boost they've given the women's division. Best athlete now a go-go dancer, one is Teddy Longs' umpteenth pretend girlfriend, one plays a just-dumped GF of the most-buried active champ in history, Kaitlyn's hot appearance was altered so she looks just like everyone else...now that's what I call wrestling, baby!--SWManor, career smart-ass

Tommy Thunder
04-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Then it's not really NXT anymore is it. It should be rebranded as the forth WWE show after RAW, Smackdown and Superstars. Maybe call it WWE Young Bloods or something equally cheesey.

Yeah it should. But does it need to be re-named just because the concept of the show has changed?
To me, NXT is WWE's 4th show. I've forgoten about what the old concept was. To me, it's just another wrestling show now.

Asherdelampyr
04-06-2012, 08:00 AM
I thought the winner of NXT got a title shot?? and than when NXt3 hit it was about contracts.

the season one winner was supposed to get a WWE contract and a title shot... the rest were to be sent home.
and really, while there have been a few other NXT guys that have won titles, other than Bryan and Wade, it didn't seem to do much for them. The Nexus angle, which could have saved NXT (In my less than humble opinion) was just completely wasted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJJJADzvSQ0

I think they explain it with that clip, but I can't watch it at work

Robstar
04-06-2012, 09:54 PM
I disagree. I think Season one wasn't a bad idea at all. And the fact most are now on the roster and doing pretty solidly says a lot about that season. But after that it slipped and then went free fall. Maybe it should have been something done every 2 or 3 years. Not back to back.

You have to take into account that these guys (apart from DBD) had been kicking around FCW for quite a while and were the upper echelon of that promotion, on the verge of being brought up anyway. Season 2 came around WAY too quickly and there was no real clear sign of exactly how long each series would run. It was a schemozzle!

Bodom
04-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Season 3 was awesome. Trash TV at it's finest.

URATOOL
04-07-2012, 02:01 AM
the season one winner was supposed to get a WWE contract and a title shot... the rest were to be sent home.
and really, while there have been a few other NXT guys that have won titles, other than Bryan and Wade, it didn't seem to do much for them. The Nexus angle, which could have saved NXT (In my less than humble opinion) was just completely wasted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJJJADzvSQ0

I think they explain it with that clip, but I can't watch it at work

Anyone else notice the level of pro they had working with the rookies in season. Who did Titus O'Neill have this season........?