PDA

View Full Version : Changing your name

Vegas
03-30-2012, 07:27 PM
There may have been a thread made about this but I didn't see it. Am I the only one who wishes the site gave us the option to change our name? I know some people might say well why did you make that your name if you didn't want it and the answer is simple at the time we liked but nicknames get made or we end up hating it. Example most of the people on this site call me Vegas and I like it and want to change my name to that. I'm not suggesting we get the option to change our name a bunch or time but once or twice would be very nice. Thoughts?

Broc
03-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Well it's been proven that name changes are possible, so I honestly don't see why we don't have a good system for it yet.

Tommy Thunder
03-30-2012, 07:35 PM
You can change your name, but it's a bit of a long winded process, since you have to go through Frank I think? SEZ changed his name recently, perhaps he can enlighten us as to what the process is and how long it took him to get it done.

Vegas
03-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Well it's been proven that name changes are possible, so I honestly don't see why we don't have a good system for it yet.

That what I think. I mean you had to make a new account just to change your name

Giddy
03-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Man, I'd love this. I really just want to be:

Giddy

S.E. Zero
03-30-2012, 07:50 PM
You can change your name, but it's a bit of a long winded process, since you have to go through Frank I think? SEZ changed his name recently, perhaps he can enlighten us as to what the process is and how long it took him to get it done.

No enlightenment needed lol, I simply asked Frank (yes, Frank. Not the mods) that my name be shortened not changed altogether. I expressed that I understood if could not happen and went about my business. Soon after I was surprised to see it had changed and expressed a great deal of gratitude to Frank soon after I saw the name change.

Broc
03-30-2012, 07:52 PM
No enlightenment needed lol, I simply asked Frank (yes, Frank. Not the mods) that my name be shortened not changed altogether. I expressed that I understood if could not happen and went about my business. Soon after I was surprised to see it had changed and expressed a great deal of gratitude to Frank soon after I saw the name change.

I really wish I had done that...

Vegas
03-30-2012, 08:05 PM
I really wish I had done that...

I already did.The point I am trying to make is that we shouldn't have to ask for it, we should be allowed to do so.

Broc
03-30-2012, 08:07 PM
I already did.The point I am trying to make is that we shouldn't have to ask for it, we should be allowed to do so.

I agree, it's not too much to ask for seeing that it's obviously possible to do. Maybe Frank will work on it though.

Krysys
03-30-2012, 08:20 PM
I would also like to see this feature made available, however I could see this being a problem with certain individuals constantly changing their name, and yes I am referring to the trolls. So I would set a limit and a requirement, meaning one or two changes very few months and a post limit, meaning you have 500 or so posts before being able to do it.

Pumpkinhead
03-30-2012, 10:56 PM
name change???, maybe would be easy if i changed just to Pumpkin, I might do it but I'm lazy too ;p

Sully
03-31-2012, 12:06 AM
I made a thread about this awhile ago and got denied.

I PM'd Frank about it just a few weeks ago, and he still wasn't too interested. I wouldn't expect it to happen, but I still think we should do requests. If more people want it, we have a better chance I think. The only problem is, the only person who has the ability to change names is the admin. I'm not sure if he could give anyone that ability without giving them the rest of the Administrator permissions. I don't think he's interested in bringing anyone else on as another administrator, nor do I think he has the time to change names periodically himself.

Don't get your hopes up.

Regarding SEZ's name change, I think that was a one time thing. SEZ just wanted it shortened to avoid confusion. If anything were to change, it definitely wouldn't be the ability to change your name at will. That would be incredibly confusing, and would really lead to things getting out of hand. Taking requests would be a smarter thing to do, but like I said, Frank would either have to appoint someone the permissions to do so, or do it himself, and I doubt he has the time to do keep track of either of those things.

Edit: Here was the thread I made back in August by the way http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/community/showthread.php?8981-Is-there-a-way-to-change-names

That was a month after I joined here. Remembering back on it, things didn't go so well.

Kashdinero
03-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Just create a new account with a different name.

Giddy
03-31-2012, 01:22 AM
Just create a new account with a different name.
Then you'll have to re-add all your friends, re-join all the groups, people could accidentally PM important things to the old account, etc.

I know it's not a very big deal, but it'd just save people a bigger hassle. Plus I hear you have to make a new email or something...

B-MCINTYRE
03-31-2012, 01:31 AM
I wouldn't mind shortening my name. But I can live without it...

Kashdinero
03-31-2012, 02:13 AM
Then you'll have to re-add all your friends, re-join all the groups, people could accidentally PM important things to the old account, etc.

I know it's not a very big deal, but it'd just save people a bigger hassle. Plus I hear you have to make a new email or something...

I definitely see the advantages of having the option to change your user name without having to create a new account, but, the way I see it is this..

SEZ was prolly only granted a name change due to the fact that there is one too many Straight Edge fellas surfing around these murky waters. If the reason you want to change your username is because its what most people refer to you as when interacting with you, then, while I can kinda empathize with your plight, I would just do what Broc and others have done and change your account (which does unfortunately require a new email address.).. Think of all the fun you'll have sending out/recieving friend requests again :)

Or just enjoy the fact that you're popular enough to have a nickname on a message board, and kick yourself for putting unnecessary numbers at the end of your username, Giddy22897 ;)

Sully
03-31-2012, 02:20 AM
If it helps any bit, I think if you change the email address of your other account, and then set your email address for the new one, it may work? If not then it wouldn't be that big of a deal, you could just create another one freely using Yahoo or something. I don't think the site sends out too many important emails anyways, so it wouldn't require that much maintaining, other then the activation for your account. Or if you'd need to recover a password or something.

Kashdinero
03-31-2012, 02:29 AM
I wouldn't mind shortening my name. But I can live without it...

Yeah, logging in must be quite the chore for you.

Hope you picked a shorter password!

pauadrian
03-31-2012, 02:41 AM
I definitely see the advantages of having the option to change your user name without having to create a new account, but, the way I see it is this..

SEZ was prolly only granted a name change due to the fact that there is one too many Straight Edge fellas surfing around these murky waters. If the reason you want to change your username is because its what most people refer to you as when interacting with you, then, while I can kinda empathize with your plight, I would just do what Broc and others have done and change your account (which does unfortunately require a new email address.).. Think of all the fun you'll have sending out/recieving friend requests again :)

Or just enjoy the fact that you're popular enough to have a nickname on a message board, and kick yourself for putting unnecessary numbers at the end of your username, Giddy22897 ;)

Tomsta used to call me the P man for 2 weeks.
Maybe it was because of the P for pauadrian and my obesession with polls

VanHooliganX
03-31-2012, 05:36 AM
If I'm honest. I'd rather my name be Van Hooligan X instead of VanHooliganX. But I'm not going to go to Frank and ask since he is a busy man and it's my fault for not realising this forum allows spaces in the username.

B-MCINTYRE
03-31-2012, 05:55 AM
Yeah, logging in must be quite the chore for you.

Hope you picked a shorter password!
I just copy and paste the username and password in....

Sully
03-31-2012, 12:17 PM
I just copy and paste the username and password in....

I just stay logged in the whole time. If not, my computer remembers my username and password anyways, so it's not even that big of a deal. Plus I love my user name, it's short, sweet, and it fits me. I wouldn't change it even if we were allowed to.

Rich Cranium
03-31-2012, 02:40 PM
If you use Chrome you just need to type the first letter of the username and then BAMMMMMMMMMMMMM, it auto-magically pops in for you!!

Vegas
03-31-2012, 04:51 PM

WTF! How the hell did you change your name?!

Vegas
03-31-2012, 05:24 PM
WTF! How the hell did you change your name?!

Got my answer already. Not happy either

Sully
03-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Why don't you ask too? Who knows, if more people are requesting Frank to change your name, he'll either deny you or he'll realize that maybe doing requests wouldn't be a bad idea. Either way it's worth a shot.

Kashdinero
03-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Giddy got his wish! :)

Krysys
03-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Why don't you ask too? Who knows, if more people are requesting Frank to change your name, he'll either deny you or he'll realize that maybe doing requests wouldn't be a bad idea. Either way it's worth a shot.

He did, on Wednesday, but Frank never replied

Vegas
03-31-2012, 05:59 PM

I have asked already but it looks like it was declined.

Sully
03-31-2012, 06:03 PM
So Giddy got a name change after you requested first? Hmm.

Lol, I hope your happy SEZ, see what you started! :)

If you're really that for it, try PMing Frank again. Maybe your PM got lost in in a cluster of others, I'm sure he gets a ton of private messages every day. It's pretty busy being the Administrator. As long as you don't want a complete name change, and only want it shortened or something, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

Vegas
03-31-2012, 06:04 PM

If you're really that for it, try PMing Frank again. Maybe your PM got lost in in a cluster of others, I'm sure he gets a ton of private messages every day. It's pretty busy being the Administrator. As long as you don't want a complete name change, and only want it shortened or something, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

All i want is to have my name be Vegas not Vegas_Air_Bourne_sXe

S.E. Zero
03-31-2012, 06:16 PM

I'm more than happy to return to my former username if that will fix things but that would also have to apply to Giddy and I doubt he'll want to change back to his old name haha, so yeah......=/

Vegas
03-31-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm more than happy to return to my former username if that will fix things but that would also have to apply to Giddy and I doubt he'll want to change back to his old name haha, so yeah......=/

I don't blame you broski. I wanted change my name for awhile.

Sully
03-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Looks like you got your wish too. :)

Broc
04-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I hate all of you.... especially you Kash :mad:

pauadrian
04-01-2012, 12:17 AM
I hate all of you.... especially you Kash :mad:
we should all change our names in honor of broc lol

B-MCINTYRE
04-01-2012, 03:09 AM
If it was an easy process I would change it to Broc+SullySUCK! for a couple days...

Sully
04-01-2012, 03:21 AM
If it was an easy process I would change it to Broc+SullySUCK! for a couple days...

Which is one of the reasons why it's not an easy process.

B-MCINTYRE
04-01-2012, 03:49 AM
Which is one of the reasons why it's not an easy process.
It wouldn't exactly be hard to make a new account with that name. Besides the only change I really would like us to shorten it by a lot!!!

VanHooliganX
04-01-2012, 06:03 AM

Van Brocigan X?

I can dig that ;D

xAzureSkye
04-01-2012, 10:22 AM
its just a username.

It defines who you are anyway, I'll always know Vegas as Vegas Airbourne sxe

Broc
04-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Van Brocigan X?

I can dig that ;D

I think we should all have to change our name to something like; Broc is Better Than You, Broc>God, All Hale Broc, Broc is my daddy, BORC#1!, something like that. I think I should PM this idea to Frank, any violation of this rule will result in permanent banishment!

Frank
04-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Name changes has to all be PMed to me. I will approve some of it. The new name has to be a good part of the original name AND it has to be identifiable to the individual.