PDA

View Full Version : Funniest Wrestler/Character

shanethewolf
11-01-2010, 07:01 AM
One of my pet hates with wrestling (esp WWE) is how they turn great athletes and serious contenders into foolish comedy characters. You can really feel the discomfort and it seems humiliating. What's more, it makes no sense when there are many stars who are naturally funny and entertaining.

So, who are your favourite comedy acts in wrestling?

Mine include:

The Rock - not a comedy character obviously, but had so many hilarious moments.
Norman Smiley - Everything about him cracks me up and the Screamin' Norman gimmick was even funnier.
Christian - Another charismatic star who has some very funny moments.
Santino Marella - So funny, especially when he first arrived in WWE.
Bobby Heenan - Listening to him and Gorrilla on commentary was guaranteed to make me laugh.
Carlito - When he first arrived he was very funny and his pre-debut vignettes are comedy gold.
Jericho (WCW) - He had funny moments in WWE, but back when he was with Ralphus in WCW, Jericho was hilarious.
Bastion Booger - Gross, but so funny.
Golddust - I prefer him as a twisted, serious character, but he has had some very funny moments, especially with The Rock.

I'm sure more will come to mind later.

Mr. McMahon
11-01-2010, 07:26 AM
I agree most of your list, especially The Rock cause he is definitely my favorite of all time. Jericho also was very hilarious during his first WWF/WWE run but not his shitty 2nd coming.

Santino was funny in 2007-2008, but now he is just obnoxious and corny. I can't stand him anymore, his humor nowadays is kiddie stuff and mostly just stupid and not funny. Maybe its PG, or maybe WWE saw how much the fans were into this character and decided to water his comedy down because they didn't wanna push him too fast in 08?

Others I would add to the list:
Stone Cold - the guy was pure comedy, maybe he was a serious guy during the earlier years of attitude but around 2001-2004 he started doing more comedy stuff. His heel turn in 2001 was great, and he was also a funny heel with Kurt Angle. Don't even get me started on his 2003 work as raw gm, he was the shit! Stone Cold definitely deserves to be on the list.

Eddie Guerrero - no comment.

Edge - Early years to 2004. I always preferred face Edge rather than heel, I could always relate to him.

Eugene - He was pretty funny during his first year in the WWE, after that they just made him do stupid things.

William Regal - definitely has had lots of great funny moments.

Kurt Angle, John Cena, HBK.

Bodom
11-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Surprised to see Carlito mentioned here. I don't think his pre-debut vignettes or promos were intended to be funny.

alexrules01
11-01-2010, 08:52 AM
JBL during his commentary days
Simon Dean- Common, one of the best jobbers... funny as!
I havnt seen any Jericho's work in WCW (apart from looking up the 1004 Holds list, ARMBAR!) But during his heel run, his promos were pure heat but some of them were so funny sometimes... like when Swagger cashed in MITB, he described Swagger exactly how Jericho acts, dresses, even though Jericho hates it :P
E and C- Both as a tag and singles
Kurt Angle- He's pretty boring in TNA... I know he has matured and whatever, but his WWE work was way better
Shawn Micheals "I just kicked Stan!" need further explanation?

el gabo
11-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Surprised to see Carlito mentioned here. I don't think his pre-debut vignettes or promos were intended to be funny.

Yeah, he wasn't supposed to be a comical character in the beginning. Vince made him a clown in the end. That was one of the main reasons he quit on WWE.

PS. Bring Carlito Back!!!!!!!!!

K2Jelly
11-01-2010, 10:11 AM
-Triple H
-Shawn Michaels
-Pre 2008 Cena
-JBL
-Eddie Guerrero
-Goldust
-Santino Marella
-Chavo Guerrero
-The Rock
-Stone Cold
-Mr. McMahon
-Jesse Ventura
-Ted Dibiase Sr.
-Repo Man
-Skinner
-Chris Jericho
-Booker T(NOT King Booker; We ALL know how much that failed)
-Hornswoggle(w/ heel Finlay)
-Kurt Angle
-Ric Flair
-Zack Ryder
-ODB(Bring her back!)
-Eugene
-The Miz
-"DASHING" Cody Rhodes

vbirwin
11-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Gillberg - It was only funny for a while but I thought it was hysterical when he came out with sparklers doing the Goldberg bit.

Goldust when he had Tourettes was hilarious.

Santino has done a great job and has made me laugh on numerous occasions, especially with theway he butchers the english language in his bad accent. The whole Honky Donkey man run was great.

Bob Backlund - As a fan from the 70's/80's he's my all time favorite wrestler and at first it bothered me when he turned into Mr. Backlund but I loved watching him snap in the ring and I came to appreciate his crazy interviews after that.

I also have to give props to HHH for some of his one liners. The biggest laugh I had this year was when Kofi dropped the accent and HHH stopped their skit and said "wait a minute, aren't you supposed to be Jamaican".

Rich Cranium
11-01-2010, 11:01 AM
DX
Jay Lethal - during the Savage/Flair impersonations
Perry Saturn - "your welcome"

Bodom
11-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Perry Saturn - "your welcome"

Yahtzee!!!!

el gabo
11-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I used to LOVE watching Flair flop headfirst into the mat. Funny as hell!!!

Rich Cranium
11-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Funny Perry Saturn and Paul Heyman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itQDr9kaHFg

shanethewolf
11-01-2010, 11:49 AM
That gimmick with Perry Saturn makes my blood boil. I seriously hate WWF/E for that. He was one of the most underrated wrestlers they had, easily on par with Benoit and Guererro.

I also hated when they made Kurt Angle a comedy character. The guy is one of the best wrestlers in the world and an olympic legend, not some cheap comedy character.

I forgot to mention Shawn Michaels and DX who, despite being obnoxious, did have some very funny moments. Shawn kicking Stan was great as was the little HD skit he did with HHH.

I'm actually really surprised when people here said Carlito wasn't intended to be funny. I don't know how anyone can watch these skits without laughing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSwvbchq5P8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf2XtbQpoH0

Rich Cranium
11-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Don't forget the late, great Eddie Guerrero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfUIqL7piH0

Belzova
11-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Carlito was amazingly funny. There were so many things they could have done with him. He had decent mic skills an really knew how to draw heat from the crowd. He carried a lot of people in Tag Team matches, Singles matches, and even when he jobbed he looked good in the ring. No matter what WWE did to Carlito he never lost his charm or what it was that made him special. Carlito should stay away from the WWE. If he goes back they will just use him more... AS A JOBBER! He was very wise to leave the WWE when he did. I hope the other under utilized talent take some notes because this could be the wake up call WWE desperately needs.

SaberToothTigerz
11-01-2010, 01:27 PM
mae young xD lmao
nah but umm some other guys who I think were really funny
Cryme time and MISTEEEERRR KENNEDY!!!!!!....kennedy....

Scottland
11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
The Rock is by far the king when it comes to the mic & promos. He has probably the most funny moments in wrestling. He insulted & humilated anyone & everyone. It was just pure funny comedy. I absolutely loved when he went off on the city of Toronto as that has to be one of the best heel promos ever. Of course, The Rock had probably his best stuff when he was a face/tweener as he would just go off on Jericho, Austin, Angle, HHH, Coach & so forth.

Chris Jericho, Stone Cold, Kurt Angle, Triple H & Shawn Michaels all had there moments as well & could be very funny. All very good promo guys.

Ruggy
11-01-2010, 03:06 PM
One of my best memories was Rikishi dancing with "Too Cool", Scotty doing the worm and Rikishi wobbling his enormous posterior. Alway gave me a chuckle.

I used to love the Oddities too. They were at one Summerslam facing Kiantai, I thought the match was hilarious.

MrNolan
11-01-2010, 03:36 PM
I love Santino. Hes the funniest thing in wrestling. Good ole Stonecold was funny as hell too.

"I did not sleep with that woman..... I was UP! ALL! NIIIIGHT!!!" Shawn Michaels (he was funny too)

MrNolan
11-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Heres another one!!

The Rock was in the ring doing a promo and Chris Jericho's Y2J countdown counts down to zero and here comes Jericho into WWE for the first time.

The Rock: Who in The blue. hell. ARE YOU?!!
Jericho: My name is
The Rock: IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!!!!!

I think it happened like that. Its been so long that i don't quite remember lol.

Robstar
11-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Eugene was NOT funny, not even for a moment. It was just kinda sad and pathetic.

SaberToothTigerz
11-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Eugene was NOT funny, not even for a moment. It was just kinda sad and pathetic.

Someone who finally speaks the truth.

Scottland
11-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Heres another one!!

The Rock was in the ring doing a promo and Chris Jericho's Y2J countdown counts down to zero and here comes Jericho into WWE for the first time.

The Rock: Who in The blue. hell. ARE YOU?!!
Jericho: My name is
The Rock: IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!!!!!

I think it happened like that. Its been so long that i don't quite remember lol.

The Rock & Chris Jericho...there is a show for yeah. Those two guys went at each other on the mic & man, was it classic wrestling promos.

nrb6304
11-01-2010, 05:21 PM
anybody remember the Rock calling Shane O' Mac a pussy?

NecroButcher187
11-01-2010, 05:24 PM
The Rock, hands down. I watched a promo he cut live on RAW, flawlessly executed. He called The Coach a cow-humper, mocking Brock Lesnar then imitating Ric Flair in North Carolina. I'm talking about 8 1/2 minutes of live TV with no mistakes, on-the-fly, pure genius!!! Charisma, humor, wit.....no one did it better than The Rock!!

Mr. McMahon
11-01-2010, 05:26 PM

not true. He got massive pops during his first 3-5 months, he got the loudest pops on raw that time with benoit & hbk. He was entertaining if you were a kid growing up watching wwe in 2004, maybe not for a 36 year old guy but definitely if you were a kid. He might not be the funniest but he had his moments, he was entertaining to watch sometimes, id take him anyday over that monotone boring Barrett. Eugene made me laugh, especially his skit with rock & coach and his match with the coach was so entertaining.

Robstar
11-01-2010, 05:29 PM
What about The Ultimate Warrior? He was pretty funny, unintentionally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF4ZTcuhixc

Oh yeah, he said lawnmowers.

NecroButcher187
11-01-2010, 05:40 PM
What about The Ultimate Warrior? He was pretty funny, unintentionally.

So true....so true!!!! This guy was a freakin' psychopath!!! The tragic reprocussions of 'roid rage. He mastered the....*faint whisper*......THEN SCREAM AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS UNTIL YOUR TEETH BLEED promo....

Robstar
11-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Christian does the Warrior -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t3h5C_ou0Q

Which leads us to this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb9aAXo-u78&feature=related

Bodom
11-01-2010, 07:20 PM

Gotta give credit to Dinsmore for playing the part well.

TheMadThinker
11-01-2010, 11:16 PM
One of the funniest bits was back in the attitude era when Jericho would go on a rant about Stephanie McMahon's promiscuity and call her a "dirty trash bag ho"; Pure comedic genius.

Bodom
11-01-2010, 11:18 PM
One of the funniest bits was back in the attitude era when Jericho would go on a rant about Stephanie McMahon's promiscuity and call her a "dirty trash bag ho"; Pure comedic genius.

Especially around the time that Steph got those implants

Robstar
11-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Steph is hot.

REAL infinite wisdom. ;)

TheMadThinker
11-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Steph is hot.

REAL infinite wisdom. ;)

HHH has got to be one of the luckiest bastards on the planet to upgrade from a side show she-he to a beautiful wrestling billionaire princess.

Bodom
11-01-2010, 11:55 PM
HHH has got to be one of the luckiest bastards on the planet to upgrade from a side show she-he to a beautiful wrestling billionaire princess.

Love how you classed it up by using she-he rather than he-she

Robstar
11-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Love how you classed it up by using she-he rather than he-she

It was a nice touch. But that's the order, she was more female than male. I'm still trying to get that image of X-Pac out of my head. Note to all - never do a Google search on Chyna without your filters on!

Bodom
11-02-2010, 12:03 AM
It was a nice touch. But that's the order, she was more female than male. I'm still trying to get that image of X-Pac out of my head. Note to all - never do a Google search on Chyna without your filters on!

Ill never get that image out of my head. *shudders*

dave-flames
11-02-2010, 12:35 AM
You say early john cena.. but i still laugh my arse off during every match!

I think the road dogg had some great segments.
Crash Holly with the hardcore title.

Bodom
11-02-2010, 12:38 AM
You say early john cena.. but i still laugh my arse off during every match!

I think the road dogg had some great segments.
Crash Holly with the hardcore title.

Agree. Every Cena match is comedy gold!

edgeheadvnzla
11-02-2010, 04:09 AM
Kurt Angle was one of the most funny superstar that i remember (when he was in WWE). His promo with:
Stone Cold (The Cowboy hat and singinnig to Vinnie Mac)
Edge: (PS: HE DOESNT DONT HAVE BALLS)
Billy&Chuck (were gay peoble think he is adorable)

Kashdinero
11-02-2010, 05:22 AM
Naked mideon!!!

IrkenInvader
11-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Hulk Hogan saying hes a good wrestler.

Rich Cranium
11-03-2010, 12:16 AM
This one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU39TDA2u2M&p=9599725BA3A354BD&playnext=1&index=24

CMhuw24
11-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Triple H
Santino
Edge and Christian
Goldust
Ron Simmons

MrNolan
11-03-2010, 03:30 PM
So true....so true!!!! This guy was a freakin' psychopath!!! The tragic reprocussions of 'roid rage. He mastered the....*faint whisper*......THEN SCREAM AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS UNTIL YOUR TEETH BLEED promo....

The Macho Man also mastered that "talk low then LOUD" promo skill lmao!

koolmod
11-03-2010, 10:28 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned the new age outlaws, or mankind

koolmod
11-03-2010, 10:39 PM
The Macho Man also mastered that "talk low then LOUD" promo skill lmao!

scott steiner topped that with his "talk louder when you forget the script." steiner was unintentional comedic genious

Bodom
11-03-2010, 10:41 PM
scott steiner topped that with his "talk louder when you forget the script." steiner was unintentional comedic genious

Perhaps the funnniest unintentionaly funny guy

dave-flames
11-03-2010, 10:44 PM
The Shockmaster!!!