PDA

View Full Version : WWE Needs More Black People

IPEEINTHESHOWER
10-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Hello SHOWERHEADS and SPRINKLERS. Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. First, I'm a white man but I believe everyone needs some color in there life. The WWE needs more Black people, I like Mark "Koolaid man" Henry and MVP but come on we need more Brotha's. Im not saying we need wanna be gangsters or stereotypes A.K.A Crime Tyme but something is missing in the WWE. One of my favorite people growing up was "The Doctor of Style-Slick. You young people probably have only seen him when he was at WrestleMania 23, dancing with various WWE superstars and legends. But you guys missed out on someone special. He was a smooth talking constantly scheming greasy con man who is headed to the HOF. Slick managed The Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff, Akeem, Big Boss Man, Power and Glory, Butch Reed, Kamala, Warlord, Rick Martel and more. The Slickster and his clients conned and cheated their way to countless victories over the years. HE is one of the greats and last but not least he had the best THEME MUSIC EVER. After you hear it I bet it's only a matter of time before you download it on your ipod. ENJOY!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdNMj1fS2dw

infinite wisdom
The Slickster...often imitated, never duplicated!!

Rich Cranium
10-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Slick was great!

Riel
10-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I have to agree with you, dude who doesn't care about how gross it is to urinate in the shower. Seriously man, the toilet is like two feet away. But on the topic, I think that the WWE has always been very Caucasian friendly. And I hate how all their black superstars are a stereotype, coming in with very gimmicky entrances, "WHAT'S UP" or playing gangsta's.

Sometimes they ignore tongue and cheek racism all together. Any one remember when Randy Orton called Shelton Benjamin's people "Uppity"?. There has also never been a black world champion. So basically, black people can come in and dance or look scary or be comedic relief, but forget representing the company as the top guy.

And not that I want to agree with everything you say, but it also annoy's the fuck out of me when people are too timid to discuss any hot button issues.

Robstar
10-29-2010, 08:51 PM
I have examined the thread and deleted the post that I found offending. However I don't see anything wrong with IPEEINTHESHOWER's posts, I'm not completely convinced that the use of the term 'black people' is derogatory, where the "n" word certainly is not tolerated.

It's a contentious issue since the line as to how we refer to races is constantly being shifted and who knows what is PC today may differ from 5 minutes ago. But then you are open to being accused of ignoring a demograph of society. But hey - I'm a white, heterosexual male - I'm in the most discrimnated against minority there is. I can't win no matter what I do.

Robstar
10-29-2010, 08:52 PM
I have to agree with you, dude who doesn't care about how gross it is to urinate in the shower. Seriously man, the toilet is like two feet away. But on the topic, I think that the WWE has always been very Caucasian friendly. And I hate how all their black superstars are a stereotype, coming in with very gimmicky entrances, "WHAT'S UP" or playing gangsta's.

Sometimes they ignore tongue and cheek racism all together. Any one remember when Randy Orton called Shelton Benjamin's people "Uppity"?. There has also never been a black world champion. So basically, black people can come in and dance or look scary or be comedic relief, but forget representing the company as the top guy.

And not that I want to agree with everything you say, but it also annoy's the fuck out of me when people are too timid to discuss any hot button issues.

You don't count Ron Simmons or Booker T?

Riel
10-29-2010, 08:56 PM
They were WWE Champions?

Riel
10-29-2010, 08:57 PM
I should have been more clear. I was talking about WWE ... But I think I did mention that in the beginning of my post.

WWTNA
10-29-2010, 09:02 PM

there were alot of black world champions like ron simmons, the rock, and booker t but i get what your point is. every black wrestlers in the wwe are either serotypes (chryme tyme & r-truth) or underrated wrestlers (mvp, kofi kingston, & darren young).

Robstar
10-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Since WWE absorbed WCW, I count their title runs. The World Heavyweight Title you see on Smackdown is representative of the WCW world title, IMO.

And Bobo Brazil was NWA world champ in 1962

Riel
10-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Like I mentioned earlier, I was talking about WWE Champions. The Rock is everybody's argument, but consider that he's a legacy and his undeniable star power and you can see why he couldn't be denied. I would point out that he's only half black but that would be nitpicking.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
10-29-2010, 09:05 PM

Riel, The Rock was world champion along with Booker T and Boby Lashley. I understand what your saying though. The Rock got over with the fans because there was no added sterotype or "hood" slang he was just a serious competitor that we could all love, hate, or all love to hate. But without a doubt Crime Tyme was the most disrespectful gimmick they could have given to young black males. Platinum teeth, check. Timberland boots, check. Big diamonds, check. Stealing and cheating, check. Two black males nobody takes seriously... checkmate! Most of my black friends watched wrestling at some point during their childhood, but most of their passion for wrestling died because either they were tired of the stereotypes, lack of black wrestlers as main-eventers, or they were upset that The Rock left. The point to this post was how I feel something is missing in the WWE and how I loved the Slickster back in the day. Even though he had a 1970's evil con man/pimp gimmick I dont feel it was disrespectful at all. The whole point was for good to overcome evil and 99 times out of 100 it did.

Robstar
10-29-2010, 09:06 PM
there were alot of black world champions like ron simmons, the rock, and booker t but i get what your point is. every black wrestlers in the wwe are either serotypes (chryme tyme & r-truth) or underrated wrestlers (mvp, kofi kingston, & darren young).

Good point about The Rock. It doesn't seem to matter that Barack Obama is a "mixture", he's still considered a 'coloured' man, right?

Rich Cranium
10-29-2010, 09:15 PM
I wonder what they'll do with Consequences Creed. Not that he will necessarily be World Champ material, but maybe "Carlito-esqe"?

Riel
10-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Riel, The Rock was world champion along with Booker T and Boby Lashley. I understand what your saying though. The Rock got over with the fans because there was no added sterotype or "hood" slang he was just a serious competitor that we could all love, hate, or all love to hate. But without a doubt Crime Tyme was the most disrespectful gimmick they could have given to young black males. Platinum teeth, check. Timberland boots, check. Big diamonds, check. Stealing and cheating, check. Two black males nobody takes seriously... checkmate! Most of my black friends watched wrestling at some point during their childhood, but most of their passion for wrestling died because either they were tired of the stereotypes, lack of black wrestlers as main-eventers, or they were upset that The Rock left. The point to this post was how I feel something is missing in the WWE and how I loved the Slickster back in the day. Even though he had a 1970's evil con man/pimp gimmick I dont feel it was disrespectful at all. The whole point was for good to overcome evil and 99 times out of 100 it did.

Then again he did play the black militant stereotype. But you're part right, he didn't come out wearing parachute pants or sounding like Chris Tucker from Rush Hour. The point I was trying to make with mentioning the no black world champion thing was that other than the Rock I've never seen a black superstar represent the company as their top guy.

And I have to admit I didn't know Bobby Lashley was the World Champion. I knew he was ECW champ, but that's hardly the company's top position for a wrestler.

Robstar
10-29-2010, 09:24 PM
I think it's fair to say the WWECW title could not be considered a proper world title. There has to be SOME regulation unlike the boxing world where new feds start up and automaticall claim 'World' title status.....it's a crock

IPEEINTHESHOWER
10-29-2010, 09:32 PM
I think it's fair to say the WWECW title could not be considered a proper world title. There has to be SOME regulation unlike the boxing world where new feds start up and automaticall claim 'World' title status.....it's a crock

Your right Rob it is kind of a crock. ECW in WWE was a joke and not only did Vince make the product sub par he crushed it in the ground and spat on it. Like most things in life the original is usually the best no matter how hard you try to repackage it or change it.
on a side note, i like the new avatar's you have. the guy with a shotgun to his face is CLASSIC. thanks for the laugh. cheers

Riel
10-29-2010, 09:36 PM

Yeah I agree completely, but its easier to lump it all into one. Neater that way.

Rich Cranium
10-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Hell, they even made Matt Hardy ECW Champ!

Kid_Gangsta
10-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Lashly could of been WWE champion if he stuck around longer. But i didn't take offense to the Cryme Tyme "gimmick" because it really isn't a gimmick and at the end of the day, it was always harmless fun. thats how some black guys dress in Brooklyn with the BBS belts, Ed Hardy jeans, Tims, bandannas, etc. They did go a lil over board wit the way they made JTG talk though with the "Chea Boiiiiii" and the way he walked down to the ramp almost imitating the "Crip walk" sometimes. Even the segments when they were stealing stuff without the superstars knowing, you have to admit it was funny. They were the most over tag team the WWE had in the past 4-5 years because of how they were.

edit: heres one of my favorite Cryme Tyme segments involving KING BOOOOOOOOKA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYuKj30rGuI

Robstar
10-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Your right Rob it is kind of a crock. ECW in WWE was a joke and not only did Vince make the product sub par he crushed it in the ground and spat on it. Like most things in life the original is usually the best no matter how hard you try to repackage it or change it.
on a side note, i like the new avatar's you have. the guy with a shotgun to his face is CLASSIC. thanks for the laugh. cheers

It's from Evil Dead 3 btw

SilverGhost
10-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Hell, they even made Matt Hardy ECW Champ!

Diva's title> WWECW title

Rich Cranium
10-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Diva's title> WWECW title

You can say that again but no need.

Kashdinero
10-30-2010, 01:10 AM
You don't count Ron Simmons or Booker T?

Or the ROCK!

therockiswwf
10-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Well I have heard that Kofi is supposed to get a push in a little while for Smackdown. If Bobby Lashley never left he would have been a champ at least once by now. It does not matter if your black or white, only if you are intresting. Truth almost got pushed but they decided he was too old (37 or 38).

TheDevilsAdvocate
10-30-2010, 08:06 AM
The one thing I noticed is that every time the WWE pushes a black star that black star ends up leaving the company. I wouldn't really call the WWE racist or anything concisdering they pushed The Rock an Booker T to great heights, and the both of them got a hell of a lot of screen time, promo-time, etc. They were great entertainers. I completely missed Bobby Lashleys time in the WWE, because around that time I gave up wrestling for like two years an then picked up again a week before Chris Jericho returned to the WWE. Orlando Jordan was supposed to be a top star, but they dropped the ball on him after they found out he liked male genitals. That has Michael Hayes written all over it. Right now, Cryme Tyme, yes they are STILL around shockingly, are far from deserving a push. I mean Shag could have been pushed as a solo star. He had that classic Tag-Team break-out insta-main event push going on an then the WWE suddenly got cold feet, and he was rarely seen after that. JTG really isn't going anywhere. He altered his style slightly, but that 'Gangsta' gimmick is way too played out.

IMO M.V.P an Kofi Kingston need to be pushed to the stars an above. Kofi Kingston is obviously loyal. He even goes crazy about WWE games when they come out. M.V.P I can see why they wont push him right now, but I just see him turning into a black Matt Hardy some where down the road. The funny thing is that M.V.P would be Main Eventing in TNA. A Mr. Anderson vs. MVP feud sounds pretty good to me. But the one black star I REALLY wanted to be pushed was R-truth an Marcus Cor Von (Marcus left, but said he would come back when he was ready.) R-Truth is being given that Booker-T push an in a couple of years he could have a WWE or World champion strapped around his waist. He is a magnificent performer both Melodic an Wrestling-wise. But I think there should be more Asian performers. If you think about it the black performers out-number the Asian performers, because I think they only really have YoshiTatsu. They did have Ultimo Dragon who they REALLY dropped the ball on. They could have done so much convincing there an shoved him into the Main event an put some titles on him. But then I am proud at the same time because after he left the WWE he went off an became more successful than Ric Flair an won a shitload of titles at once. Sorry for going off topic.

Ruggy
10-30-2010, 11:19 AM

I agree very much, the black guys basically get a jobber characters, like body-guards, rappers or gangsta's.

In my opinion you can't really class the Rock as Black either.

Allison
10-30-2010, 12:04 PM
The wwe (and wrestling in general) use very few blacks as performers because blacks make up a very small percentage of their audience.

Rich Cranium
10-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Is it like comparing Tiger Woods to golf before we learned of his "The Godfather-like entourage"? Somebody say Hooooo!

jwt15
10-30-2010, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't say Ron Killings charchter is a stero type thats him he is a rapper so? but I do agree with cryme tyme

nrb6304
10-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Has anybody ever considered that maybe black people (men and women) really just don't wanna work for WWE?

BTW. Anybody remember when HBK met Cryme Tyme outside of the arena to hustle tickets back into the show? CLASSIC MOMENT!!

K2Jelly
10-30-2010, 04:22 PM
The wwe (and wrestling in general) use very few blacks as performers because blacks make up a very small percentage of their audience.

Where the hell did you come up with that? :S

SilverGhost
10-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Is it like comparing Tiger Woods to golf before we learned of his "The Godfather-like entourage"? Somebody say Hooooo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhbywUc0ozM&p=6A21DE4FE163E7F0&playnext=1&index=6

LOL!

Flyyisha
10-30-2010, 04:27 PM
I know A LOT of African Americans that watch WWE. I myself as an African American feels like they need more Africa Americans in the business and used PROPERLY.

For Example: The Rock and Kofi Kingston are NOT african American. Rock is Somaon. Kofi is Ghananese. Ezekiel Jackson is fo Guyana. HOWEVER stars like MVP (who is African American and white mix), JTG, SHAD, ALICIA FOX, R-truth need to be pushed and have more tv time. There are young children who watch WWE whom I'm sure want to see a champion or a star that looks like them.

SilverGhost
10-30-2010, 04:33 PM
I know A LOT of African Americans that watch WWE. I myself as an African American feels like they need more Africa Americans in the business and used PROPERLY.

For Example: The Rock and Kofi Kingston are NOT african American. Rock is Somaon. Kofi is Ghananese. Ezekiel Jackson is fo Guyana. HOWEVER stars like MVP (who is African American and white mix), JTG, SHAD, ALICIA FOX, R-truth need to be pushed and have more tv time. There are young children who watch WWE whom I'm sure want to see a champion or a star that looks like them.

I would like to see JTG, Shad, and R-Truth be pushed to good heights. But honestly street gimmicks(not counting Ron) isn't the way. Cena got away with his bullshit. >.>

Out of the list you said, only Ron counts as a true candidate but they won't push him. Supposedly he is too old.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
10-30-2010, 04:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8efIUILFfUA

Allison
11-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Where the hell did you come up with that? :S

From looking at the crowds on tv, attending live shows all my life, and knowing numerous people in the wrestling buisness who have said the exact same thing.

Robstar
11-02-2010, 01:40 PM

The Rock's father was full african-american; Kofi was born in Ghana but moves to the United States before he was 5 - doesn't that make him MORE african-american than most? Where do you draw the line?
Bloodlines are mixed, people move from continent to continent and I will never argue anyone's right to refer to themselves anyway they want but come on. I am Australian, but I don't consider myself English-Australian or Scottish-Australian, just because that's where my family originated - to me it's about where I actually come from. I'm a fricken Aussie!! It's as bad as anyone with bloody irish lineage, who claim to be 'Irish' when the closest they've ever been to Ireland is drinking a Guinness while watching Angela's fucking Ashes!

Bodom
11-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Guinness. FTW

Robstar
11-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Guinness. FTW

Blech! It's all yours Bodom!

Bodom
11-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Blech! It's all yours Bodom!

Fine with me! Only beer thats as delicious warm as it is ice cold.

Robstar
11-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Fine with me! Only beer thats as delicious warm as it is ice cold.

Even if you do need to drink it with a spoon!

Bodom
11-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Even if you do need to drink it with a spoon!

The head is the best part! I always bitch at waitresses that don't give me any.

*rimshot*

Allison
11-02-2010, 03:25 PM
head is the best part!...

what does everybody want? :D

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-02-2010, 06:16 PM
what does everybody want? :D

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTI53bQkJfzlHJ8Fg9gf8DtKy6QwuISr X3RcZCajuy9dQR-Si8&t=1&usg=__48ApYmSvgHxpCPyfNKDOmYSPWOI=