PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation Thread

SilverGhost
03-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Hey guys. If you want a new game but can't decide or if you want a second opinion, this thread is for you.

I'll start with an article I wrote for a website(more on the way soon!)

http://geeklove101.com/gaming/2012/2/21/dungeon-defenders.html

K-Jammin, RomanFlare, and I approve of this game.

Rules on how this works:

You just talk about a certain game. Ups and Downs and everything that can convince someone to get the game.

pauadrian
03-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Binary Domain
is pretty much ie mass effect a third person shooter with some role playing, the downside is when you talk with a microphone it sometimes doesn´t understand you and does another thing, you can still control it with buttons though
the plot is basically you trying to take down a corporation that makes evil robots
already came out last week but just sayin

TTC
03-09-2012, 09:24 PM
I would really recommend Infamous I & II. One of the better two games I have played in awhile.

Necroyeti
03-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Can y'all name some good adventure games from the past couple of years? Some nice obscurities/curio from the old point-n-click days would be appreciated as well. (no text adventures though)

It looked as if the genre was going through a major revival a few years ago, (new Sam & Max/new Monkey Island/various NDS franchises/Zack & Wiki/Heavy Rain etc) but it seems like the whole thing has lost its momentum already. BUT, I have essentially been living under a rock as far as video games is concerned... so hopefully, I'm just unaware of a bunch of cool shit that's passed me by.

The only one I've really heard anything about is Catherine. (which I talked about on here before, and I still plan to get it. It's just that I completely forgot about it)

Iron Ape
03-09-2012, 09:36 PM
2011 sleeper from Shinjii Mikami (creator of Resident Evil) and Suda51 (the insane person responsible for Killer 7 and No More Heroes) that has Mexican demon hunter Garcia Hotspur going to hell to save his special lady friend.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/8/87209/2080544-box_sotd_large.png

If you love your action unapologetically stupid and completely off its rocker, then you'll love Shadows of the Damned. It plays like a dream (think Resident Evil 4) and looks like a nightmare (in all of the best ways possible). If you can find this thing for under $30, blind buy the bastard and don't look back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0q4sLoHXKk&feature=player_detailpage

SilverGhost
03-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Legend of Zelda and certain FF games come to my mind.(I should check out adventure games....)

Catherine is a good puzzle game but haven't fully played it. The story is good from what I heard, just no nudity(supposed fact)

TTC
03-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah who can forget about WWE '12

wrestlingfan66513
03-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Legend of Zelda and certain FF games come to my mind.(I should check out adventure games....)

Catherine is a good puzzle game but haven't fully played it. The story is good from what I heard, just no nudity(supposed fact)

If you want an adventure game then check out Okami for the Wii or PS2. A great hidden gem from capcom that is innovative and beautiful to look at.

Iron Ape
03-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Can y'all name some good adventure games from the past couple of years? Some nice obscurities/curio from the old point-n-click days would be appreciated as well. (no text adventures though)

It looked as if the genre was going through a major revival a few years ago, (new Sam & Max/new Monkey Island/various NDS franchises/Zack & Wiki/Heavy Rain etc) but it seems like the whole thing has lost its momentum already. BUT, I have essentially been living under a rock as far as video games is concerned... so hopefully, I'm just unaware of a bunch of cool shit that's passed me by.

The only one I've really heard anything about is Catherine. (which I talked about on here before, and I still plan to get it. It's just that I completely forgot about it)
If you're a fan of the original Zelda, this is about as good of a love letter as I've ever played:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoFYEtj2tDw&feature=player_detailpage

VanHooliganX
03-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Here is my review I did last year for the XBLA game Encleverment Experiment.

Ah Encleverment Experiment, I can't think of a better game that no-one has reviewed to start my reviewing on TrueAchievements.

I think the best way to review this is to tell you all a little story of how I got my hands on this bad boy.

The year was 2009, back then we didn't have all these fancy things kids have today such as an Xbox360Slim or Ipads, but we survived. But from a distance came a game that to this day is missed by most people who played it: 1 vs. 100.

It was a beta game apparently that ran for 2 seasons, and in the 2nd season it added achievements (And a new way to torture 1 of my friends who can't button bash. Their was an achievement for button bashing to the max to make your 360 avatar dance and he couldn't do it, fun times.) Basically it gave you a question and 3 answers to pick from with 1 being the correct answer.

It was a surprisingly fun game, especially if you had a full party of friends playing together. That was until the 2nd season ended and then it was cancelled http://www.trueachievements.com/images/smiley/cry.gif
. Oh how I miss this game and I was in search of a game like it.

Eventually whilst browsing through arcade games to see whats out. I saw Encleverment. I always wondered what this game truly was considering on its release it had a tile on spotlight for about 24 hours (Which still to date is the only time i've seen this advertised). All I knew about this game was that it was by the creators of Droplitz, which has been called the most addictive game ever by some people. I downloaded the trial for this and from what I got it seemed pretty fun so I bought it.

If I had to sum up what this game is in a matter of words, it would be it is the XBLA version of Dr. Kawashima's brain training. But that wouldn't be fair on EE since it is so much more. It has 16 different rounds that test the 4 quadrants of your brain. All of them different and fun.

Their isn't so much of a plot. I guess the best you'd get out of that is the game show. Where you go against increasingly hard AI until you meet the final boss, the old man who talks to you throughout the game; Ivor Question! (Get it, Ivor...Question...http://www.trueachievements.com/images/smiley/facepalm.gif
)

This isn't the only part of the game though, hell no! You have Take-A-Test mode to improve your brain score, a marathon mode and multiplayer which allows you to own your friends. So basically you're getting your moneys worth when you play this.

The only other think I have to tell you about is the Mascots. In game you're represented by a mascots. A different animal (or an alien) with a different costume on. So for example, I always played as the Panda with the rock band Kiss make-up on. He tallys up all your points or in Mathletics round. Runs the race for you. All mascots you unlock all dance at the end of the game as well which is always humourous to watch to me.

Overall if you like brain training then you'll love this. I got it for a completely stupid reason and I ended up buying and enjoying every minute on it, espically online. The rounds get a little getting used to but not too much time. It is at least worth downloading the trial to see if you'll like it or not.

Well I hope you enjoyed my first review on TrueAchievements. [Insert part I say rate this positively so my ego can grow].
Hope this help you decide on whether you should get this interesting game. :D

ParagonOfVirtue
03-10-2012, 08:40 AM
I know it's not new, but just picked up Arkham City. Heard incredible things about the game, and Asylum was great. Details soon....

Tomsta666
03-10-2012, 09:41 AM
I reccomend you avoid Tony Hawks Shred. Godawful!

I saw it for cheap on thehut.com for £15, for the game and the board.
I thought's it's only 15 quid, worth a punt surely?
Two levels in, and I want to snap the disc already!! :mad:

Now I've always loved the Tony Hawk games, and stuck with them longer than most.
Played them ALL, upto Project 8, but this isn't the Tony Hawks Pro Skater i knew and loved :(

I guess i'll have to wait for the HD remake that's out this summer! :cool:

Necroyeti
03-11-2012, 08:53 PM

If you want an adventure game then check out Okami for the Wii or PS2. A great hidden gem from capcom that is innovative and beautiful to look at.
Thanks for the suggestions, although I've played all of those apart from a couple of the FF games.

If you're a fan of the original Zelda, this is about as good of a love letter as I've ever played:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoFYEtj2tDw&feature=player_detailpage
This looks incredible. I'm actually being sold a brand new PS3 for reasonably cheap (unwanted raffle prize) and I reckon this will be one of the first titles I'll be picking up. Thanks very much.

In case anyone's curious: I ended up doing a bit of my own research into adventure games, and decided to settle on getting To The Moon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_the_Moon_%28video_game%29) and Lost Horizon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Horizon_%28video_game%29), as well as the special edition of Monkey Island 2. (just because)

LA Noire might get some play time when I get my PS3, but only if I can borrow it from someone who already owns it. I'm growing weary enough of Rockstar's "epic sandbox games" that I just don't bother getting too excited over them. I feel like I've played them all before.

Tomsta666
03-11-2012, 09:00 PM
LA Noire is a completely different beast compared to the usual Rockstar fair. I mean yeah, it feels familiar in the open world sandbox sense, but it's a lot slower paced than your GTAs and Red Deads. It's definitely a marmite game though :p

THE HEARTBREAK KID
03-14-2012, 08:26 PM
LA Noire is a completely different beast compared to the usual Rockstar fair. I mean yeah, it feels familiar in the open world sandbox sense, but it's a lot slower paced than your GTAs and Red Deads. It's definitely a marmite game though :p

Yeah i agree man! I enjoyed it though.. :) The crime solving is just cool and some of the deaths and stuff are really grim! Anyone interested should give it ago!

Steve Austin
03-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are much haves for anyone who has never played them.

I'm considering buying Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for PS3. Anyway got it/played it?

wrestlingfan66513
03-21-2012, 01:40 AM
Here is my review I did last year for the XBLA game Encleverment Experiment.

Ah Encleverment Experiment, I can't think of a better game that no-one has reviewed to start my reviewing on TrueAchievements.

I think the best way to review this is to tell you all a little story of how I got my hands on this bad boy.

The year was 2009, back then we didn't have all these fancy things kids have today such as an Xbox360Slim or Ipads, but we survived. But from a distance came a game that to this day is missed by most people who played it: 1 vs. 100.

It was a beta game apparently that ran for 2 seasons, and in the 2nd season it added achievements (And a new way to torture 1 of my friends who can't button bash. Their was an achievement for button bashing to the max to make your 360 avatar dance and he couldn't do it, fun times.) Basically it gave you a question and 3 answers to pick from with 1 being the correct answer.

It was a surprisingly fun game, especially if you had a full party of friends playing together. That was until the 2nd season ended and then it was cancelled
http://www.trueachievements.com/images/smiley/cry.gif
. Oh how I miss this game and I was in search of a game like it.

Eventually whilst browsing through arcade games to see whats out. I saw Encleverment. I always wondered what this game truly was considering on its release it had a tile on spotlight for about 24 hours (Which still to date is the only time i've seen this advertised). All I knew about this game was that it was by the creators of Droplitz, which has been called the most addictive game ever by some people. I downloaded the trial for this and from what I got it seemed pretty fun so I bought it.

If I had to sum up what this game is in a matter of words, it would be it is the XBLA version of Dr. Kawashima's brain training. But that wouldn't be fair on EE since it is so much more. It has 16 different rounds that test the 4 quadrants of your brain. All of them different and fun.

Their isn't so much of a plot. I guess the best you'd get out of that is the game show. Where you go against increasingly hard AI until you meet the final boss, the old man who talks to you throughout the game; Ivor Question! (Get it, Ivor...Question...
http://www.trueachievements.com/images/smiley/facepalm.gif
)

This isn't the only part of the game though, hell no! You have Take-A-Test mode to improve your brain score, a marathon mode and multiplayer which allows you to own your friends. So basically you're getting your moneys worth when you play this.

The only other think I have to tell you about is the Mascots. In game you're represented by a mascots. A different animal (or an alien) with a different costume on. So for example, I always played as the Panda with the rock band Kiss make-up on. He tallys up all your points or in Mathletics round. Runs the race for you. All mascots you unlock all dance at the end of the game as well which is always humourous to watch to me.

Overall if you like brain training then you'll love this. I got it for a completely stupid reason and I ended up buying and enjoying every minute on it, espically online. The rounds get a little getting used to but not too much time. It is at least worth downloading the trial to see if you'll like it or not.

Well I hope you enjoyed my first review on TrueAchievements. [Insert part I say rate this positively so my ego can grow].
Hope this help you decide on whether you should get this interesting game. :D

I was sad when they got rid of 1 vs 100. It was fun to play with parties especially on theme nights when we compete with each other. During the live competitions we helped each other out in order to score higher. I have no clue why they got rid of it, I could see them using kinect with it and actually find something fun for the kinect