PDA

View Full Version : The 1237 ways to improve theUEFA Champions League and Europa League

Juvenile Junkie
03-09-2012, 01:44 PM
1. Ban the English teams.No,relax,I'm only joking.Its abundantly clear that both competitions need some form of tinkering.Several current practices don't make sense,for example,How do Man City who finished 3rd in their group get a 2nd shot at European competition,yet Arsenal,who won their group are out of Europe all together.How can Europa League performances influence the number of Champions League spots a country has??Any ideas,post them here!!!!

Steve Austin
03-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I was about to kick off after the fiirst sentence :D

I like the current systems.

As good as Europa League is these days it plays second fiddle to the Champions League.

There isn't one thing I'd change about it other than getting rid of seeds. I'd like to see Utd v Barca in the group stage or Man Utd vs Man City in the group stage.

Juvenile Junkie
03-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Idea: Expand the UCL to 36 teams.9 groups of 4.The 9 group winners and best 7 runner ups go through.Firstly,it creates an emphasis on winning the group and collecting more log points as 8 of the 9 group winners,based on most points,are the top seeds for the KO phase.Only 7 of the 9 runner ups go through,creating an inter-group battle between the 9 runner ups.It would give Matchday 6 more importance as all the teams would require those 3 log points to be a top seeded group winner or be a runner up who goes through.

Juvenile Junkie
03-09-2012, 02:07 PM
I was about to kick off after the fiirst sentence :DI like the current systems. As good as Europa League is these days it plays second fiddle to the Champions League.There isn't one thing I'd change about it other than getting rid of seeds. I'd like to see Utd v Barca in the group stage or Man Utd vs Man City in the group stage.That's what they do in South America,everyone is fair game,no seedings,no national protection.A Champions League without teams from either Spain,England or Italy would be Disasterous and poor in standard,with less possible winners.Napoli's presidant said those 3 leagues should have 6 teams each,that would be interesting.....

Steve Austin
03-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Not a bad idea, like a larger scaled version of Copa America. I'd love to see more teams in the CL!

Where are these extra teams coming from though? Giving more countries another place?

The Europa League will end up with no good teams!

Steve Austin
03-09-2012, 02:09 PM
That's what they do in South America,everyone is fair game,no seedings,no national protection.A Champions League without teams from either Spain,England or Italy would be Disasterous and poor in standard,with less possible winners.Napoli's presidant said those 3 leagues should have 6 teams each,that would be interesting.....

I'd like to see it, if there were more teams in the CL then there surely would be more from those countries. If you do have 6 teams from each getting rid of seeding would be a wise choice!

Daffy Duck's Finest
03-09-2012, 02:15 PM
1. Ban the English teams.No,relax,I'm only joking.Its abundantly clear that both competitions need some form of tinkering.Several current practices don't make sense,for example,How do Man City who finished 3rd in their group get a 2nd shot at European competition,yet Arsenal,who won their group are out of Europe all together.How can Europa League performances influence the number of Champions League spots a country has??Any ideas,post them here!!!!

I agree. Even though I am a Man Utd fan, I feel as if letting, let's face it, Champion's League losers into the Europa League is not good for it's image. Yes it may have big name teams in it, but do they really care. I'd rather see a Stoke or Fulham going gun-ho from the get go, than knowing that the big teams don't really care when playing. I miss the days of seeing a Athletico Madrid v Fulham final.
Furthermore, it does seem right that if a Champion's League knockout goes onto win the cup, they wouldn't have played a 'league' match... in the Europa LEAGUE!!! Disgraceful

Juvenile Junkie
03-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Not a bad idea, like a larger scaled version of Copa America. I'd love to see more teams in the CL!Where are these extra teams coming from though? Giving more countries another place?The Europa League will end up with no good teams!Well many people feel that the Europa League is too long/has too many teams,games.As for the 4 extra teams:1.Fourth team from Serie A3.If Chelsea win the Champions League,they qualify as champions,not as one of its country's representatives,meaning the winning league gets an extra spot3.Winner of Europa League,irrespective of how many other teams from their domestic league qualify4.3rd team from Portugal or another champion of a smaller league.

Juvenile Junkie
03-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Give the Europa League winner a spot in the Champions League,as EL champion,and give the Champions League winner a spot as Champion,meaning the winning nation would get an extra CL spot.Imagine the irony as 5th place Inter Milan are cheering on AC Milan in a Champions League final....

VanHooliganX
03-09-2012, 02:36 PM
#17: Armbar! (s be legal to do. Then when they dive things could get interesting.)

#19: Armbar!

Steve Austin
03-09-2012, 02:37 PM
I like the idea of the winners get a CL place without it counting as a place.

Good call!

Steve Austin
03-09-2012, 02:37 PM
#17: Armbar! (s be legal to do. Then when they dive things could get interesting.)

#19: Armbar!

Seems legit...

VanHooliganX
03-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Seems legit...

I saw Twiddle-derp create this thread. Need I say more?

Juvenile Junkie
03-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I like the idea of the winners get a CL place without it counting as a place.Good call! It might promote a sense of national unity in terms of getting behind a finalist knowing what a win for a team from your league will entail.Plus,it could lead to some ironic situations i.e. Liverpool needing Man United to win the final so they can play in the Champions League,or Inter/AC,Atletico Madrid fans supporting Real Madrid in a final etc.

Steve Austin
03-09-2012, 04:47 PM
I saw Twiddle-derp create this thread. Need I say more?

Haha smooth.

Steve Austin
03-09-2012, 04:47 PM
It might promote a sense of national unity in terms of getting behind a finalist knowing what a win for a team from your league will entail.Plus,it could lead to some ironic situations i.e. Liverpool needing Man United to win the final so they can play in the Champions League,or Inter/AC,Atletico Madrid fans supporting Real Madrid in a final etc.

Yeah would be strange to want Utd to beat Barca :D

Pumpkinhead
03-10-2012, 03:05 PM
I like the idea of the champion getting a spot in both competitions you know The UCL champion gets a spot in he next UCL and The UEL champion get a spot in the next UEL independant of the county spots.

I would change the Uefa coefficient taking into account just the last year of competition and not the last 5 years

Pumpkinhead
03-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Well many people feel that the Europa League is too long/has too many teams,games.As for the 4 extra teams:1.Fourth team from Serie A3.If Chelsea win the Champions League,they qualify as champions,not as one of its country's representatives,meaning the winning league gets an extra spot3.Winner of Europa League,irrespective of how many other teams from their domestic league qualify4.3rd team from Portugal or another champion of a smaller league.

You claim another spot for Serie A but they lost their spot due to their bad results, doesn't sound fair to me

But that's why I said the change to the uefa coefficient, for example if a small team like APOEL this year made a good UCL this year they could make it as seed next year instead of others teams that didn't did the job done

Wade Barrett 1979
03-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Ban Italian teams! It'll cut out a lot of boredom!

:D

Juvenile Junkie
03-16-2012, 08:46 AM
You claim another spot for Serie A but they lost their spot due to their bad results, doesn't sound fair to me

Russia and Italy lost Champions League spots to Germany and Portugal because of their EUROPA LEAGUE Performances,not Champion's League.All those teams who would finish third in the group or get knocked out in the qualifying stages would go into the Europa League and have long runs,whereas the Russian and Italian teams would make the R16 and get KO'd,earning less co-efficient points then the German and Russian teams who fell into the Euopa League.Hamburg earned more co-efficient points for Germany in 2008-09,than Man United or Barcelona did for their respective leagues that season!How is that logical????

Juvenile Junkie
03-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Ban Italian teams! It'll cut out a lot of boredom!

:D

5 local players in each team,oh wait,would inconvienience somebody.Sepp Blatter suggested it and one country threw their toys out

THE HEARTBREAK KID
03-16-2012, 09:20 AM
I personally believe that the champions league should olny be for the champions that win there league! It should be drawn out and made a straight knockout!

then from 2nd to 4th should go in the europa league! :) i hate the fact that someone like chelsea who has been piss poor all season can now focus all attention on the champions league when IMO! there should olny be champions in there..

Steve Austin
03-16-2012, 11:06 AM
I personally believe that the champions league should olny be for the champions that win there league! It should be drawn out and made a straight knockout!

then from 2nd to 4th should go in the europa league! :) i hate the fact that someone like chelsea who has been piss poor all season can now focus all attention on the champions league when IMO! there should olny be champions in there..

I don't like that idea. Then you will only have 2/3 teams that would actually win it.

I like having 2,3,4 countries from the best leagues, more entertaining.

The winning team gets an extra place for their country! I like that idea :)

Pumpkinhead
03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Russia and Italy lost Champions League spots to Germany and Portugal because of their EUROPA LEAGUE Performances,not Champion's League.All those teams who would finish third in the group or get knocked out in the qualifying stages would go into the Europa League and have long runs,whereas the Russian and Italian teams would make the R16 and get KO'd,earning less co-efficient points then the German and Russian teams who fell into the Euopa League.Hamburg earned more co-efficient points for Germany in 2008-09,than Man United or Barcelona did for their respective leagues that season!How is that logical????

You got a point in that Europa League points shouldn't worth the same as Champions League points, I think they wanted Europa League be taken seriously as UCL, which hasn't worked yet, the problem I see is for example is that some English, Italian and German prefer to try get spot in Champions League next season or avoid to fall down in their league than compete for the Europa League, I see the advantage the Spanish teams have is that as Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate the league the other can focus more on the Europa League and not so much about la liga, at the end of the day the european spots means money for the teams

Wade Barrett 1979
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
5 local players in each team,oh wait,would inconvienience somebody.Sepp Blatter suggested it and one country threw their toys out

He took the bait!

Juvenile Junkie
03-17-2012, 07:58 AM
You got a point in that Europa League points shouldn't worth the same as Champions League points, I think they wanted Europa League be taken seriously as UCL, which hasn't worked yet, the problem I see is for example is that some English, Italian and German prefer to try get spot in Champions League next season or avoid to fall down in their league than compete for the Europa League, I see the advantage the Spanish teams have is that as Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate the league the other can focus more on the Europa League and not so much about la liga, at the end of the day the european spots means money for the teams

They need to fix the Europa League up.Split it into to competitions like it was before.As you said,with the big financial damages of relegation or the incentive of Champions League football,to play so many games isn't working.At least 1 tie before the group stage,the group stage,the last 32,16,8,4 and final is too long.

Another issue is that The Europa League isn't profitable in some countries,low interest,low match day revenue,low tv viewership etc.The Champions League games start 21:45 local time here,so for some people 3 late nights in a row is too tiring,so the Europa League doesn't get an international audience it deserves.

Juvenile Junkie
03-17-2012, 08:06 AM
How about a knockout competition for the 8 losing Round of 16 teams? Like they do in rugby sevens with the bowl,shield,plate.Why do the 3rd placed team in the group stage get a second chance in Europe,yet the R16 teams don't?

For arguements sake,this year we could have:

Arsenal vs Napoli (cause UEFA love these Anglo-Italian ties)
Lyon vs Basel (no apparent reason)
CSKA vs Zenit (Nice Russian derby,good advert for their domestic product)
Inter vs Bayer Leverkusen ( The Bundesliga/Serie A/fourth Champions League spot debate)

It would have looked more appealing if teams like City,United,Valencia,Udinese,Villarreal,Porto had made the last 16.

Jay T
03-17-2012, 09:56 AM
The best way to improve the champions league would be to change the name,say something like the Premier league and only have English(one welsh)teams compete.

To make the europa league more entertaining what they should do is just have 0ne big sports day,with wheel barrow races,Sack races,three legged races and the hammer throw.It would be more thrilling to watch

Pumpkinhead
03-17-2012, 12:28 PM
I prefer they simply eliminate the rule of the third place in UCL group stages goes to Europa League, and make The Europa League a 32 teams tournament, but the problem is that Europa League won't be able to have such an appealing image as Champions Leagues

Juvenile Junkie
03-18-2012, 08:06 AM
I prefer they simply eliminate the rule of the third place in UCL group stages goes to Europa League, and make The Europa League a 32 teams tournament, but the problem is that Europa League won't be able to have such an appealing image as Champions Leagues

split Europa League in 2,one being the old UEFA Cup,the other the old Cup Winners Cup(now you can put the UCL flops in the CWC)