PDA

View Full Version : A Challenge to All the Rocks Fans...

Rassling_Fan
10-28-2010, 10:16 AM
During this topic (http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/community/showthread.php?1504-The-Miz-Challenges...The-Rock), I displayed my dislike for how the Rock is so popular and yet others don't get the credit for doing as much if not more. So I have a challenge for anyone who calls themselves a Rock Fan... Name 10 Moments with the Rock, during a wrestling match, you remember.

Here's an example of what I'm hoping to see...

The Rock Vs Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania: How Hulk Hogan, despite taking the Rock Bottom, still did his old Hulking up routine.

Though thinking it over, that was more of a Hogan moment then a Rock moment...

Greatness
10-28-2010, 10:24 AM
You are right about the Hogan moment...

One Rock moment I remember was his last match against Goldberg. Goldberg was about to spear him and Rock moved aside and threw him into the ring post...the crowd was so over for the Rock that the Rock started to dance in the ring!!!

Xpacfan
10-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Backlash 2000- The Rock rock bottoming Triple H twice through a table

Rassling_Fan
10-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Backlash 2000- The Rock rock bottoming Triple H twice through a table

That's not really that memorable considering everybody's been put through a table and been hit a finisher twice. Greatness, now that's a Rock moment in a wrestling ring. Infact, here's that moment. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGG78AYsW54#t=4m) We didn't get to see it but the Rock did dance.

Xpacfan
10-28-2010, 12:47 PM
What maybe great to me may not be great to you... ^ So if this is how you're viewing the subject matter then its pointless.

I got another one for you: I can't remember the PPV (I want to say the 1999 I Quit Match), While standing on the barracade on the outer regions of the set, The Rock reversed a Manible Claw into a Rock Bottom...causing Mankind to fall into the sound equipment. Sparks went every where and the lights went out for a good 10 seconds.

Rassling_Fan
10-28-2010, 02:13 PM
I got another one for you: I can't remember the PPV (I want to say the 1999 I Quit Match), While standing on the barracade on the outer regions of the set, The Rock reversed a Manible Claw into a Rock Bottom...causing Mankind to fall into the sound equipment. Sparks went every where and the lights went out for a good 10 seconds.

That would be more of a Mankind moment then a Rock moment, like how it was Undertaker who chokeslammed him through the cage but it is Mick Foley they remember for it.

I would have used the Rock knocking him out and winning by playing a tape of what he said earlier.

Bodom
10-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Can't pick a moment from Rock's matches. Not saying they weren't memorable, but the matches weren't always about Rock, they were about the other guy. Rock was always great at putting the other guy over.

Name one guy that came out of a Rock feud looking bad.

Rassling_Fan
10-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Name one guy that came out of a Rock feud looking bad.

The Hurricane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQs1VD6eYN8). Hit all his big moves and after a shining wizard and a crossbody from the top rope, the Rock jumps back up. And then the fact Hurricane pinned him thanks to Stonecold distracting him.

Bodom
10-28-2010, 03:43 PM
The Hurricane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQs1VD6eYN8). Hit all his big moves and after a shining wizard and a crossbody from the top rope, the Rock jumps back up. And then the fact Hurricane pinned him thanks to Stonecold distracting him.

The buildup to that match was fantastic. On top of that, it was a mini not-serious feud.

Rassling_Fan
10-28-2010, 03:49 PM
The buildup to that match was fantastic. On top of that, it was a mini not-serious feud.

True that, more like a side dish to the Rock/Austin feud. And frikkin funny.

Bodom
10-28-2010, 04:05 PM

Exactly. The whole bit wasn't centered around Hurricane, but Hurricane being involved with Rock was great for him. Got more fans to care about him and gave him more exposure.

Rassling_Fan
10-28-2010, 11:45 PM
That's probably why the Rock was successful in getting into acting when others have failed. They know how to get other people over, which is important to make your character believable in movies.

Dameduse823
10-28-2010, 11:56 PM
I am not a rock fan, in my eyes he was an over hyped, under talented clown but even someone as biased as me can recognize a great moment. So let me share with all of you the rocks greatest moment of his entire career

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIRm4nhrz0A

SilverGhost
10-29-2010, 01:20 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82mxvOpR8_c

You don't hear the crowd like this anymore.

SilverGhost
10-29-2010, 01:41 AM
I am not a rock fan, in my eyes he was an over hyped, under talented clown but even someone as biased as me can recognize a great moment. So let me share with all of you the rocks greatest moment of his entire career

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIRm4nhrz0A

That was one of his FUNNY moments. Not that great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6J2xNzrjTs&feature=related

The Rock had his great moments. You tell me a wrestler right now in the WWE and its PG rating that can make people jump out of their seat and rush to get their camera to take pics of their favorite wrestler. Look at that youtube vid and give me a solid answer. Cena and Orton would count but not that much.

The Rock was very entertaining and he was a great wrestler. Why do you think WWE wants this to happen again? They want another Rock. They want a wrestler that can make the fans to be part of that moment like The Rock has pulled. You can be biased all you want but you have to admit he has done his job at the ABSOLUTE BEST.

Scottland
10-29-2010, 02:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gra37iG9bxE

Rock haters are so pathetic but I digress because here's a clip of pure greatness & just a little taste of what The Rock brought.

SilverGhost
10-29-2010, 02:04 AM
"Finally!....."

With just one word, the people are cheering. Orton and Cena doesn't have that much charisma.

Scottland
10-29-2010, 02:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw9PM6jL-Uw

He's another pure taste of greatness...

Rassling_Fan The Rock had so many damn great moments...it's absurd. You comparing him to John Cena & such is just absurd.

Scottland
10-29-2010, 02:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5qdzQd0jTA

WATCH THIS! This is not just a great moment BUT an iconic moment in wrestling history.

You really want to know how great The Rock was just watch his return to the WWE. The crowd goes absolutely insane. Hell, this is arguably the biggest ovation anyone in the WWE ever recieved & that includes HHH's return at MSG & Austin's Return. The Rock made a statement that was groundbreaking & shook the WWE. I'm sorry The Rock is legendary. You have NO argument.

Scottland
10-29-2010, 02:38 AM
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7BN5Xn3MOU

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csraJreHKC0

This is when The Rock was the face of the WWE.

Another great & groundshaking WWE Rock moment.

Rassling_Fan
10-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Rassling_Fan The Rock had so many damn great moments...it's absurd. You comparing him to John Cena & such is just absurd.

I'm just sick of all the credit he gets for essentially doing less then other people. He got pushed from the start and his charisma as a heel put him over as the Rock we know today. I mean look at William Regal. He's great on the mic and in the ring but not given credit when it's due. Or Shawn Michaels, who no one should doubt is a great wrestler and took him years to be there.

That's why I made this challenge, to see if he has those memorable moments in a match like others. What was his "Body slamming Andre", "Losing an I Quit Match without quitting", or "Being chokeslamed through a cage and still smiling"?

But since people are putting interviews of his up, anyone know which date he did my favorite Interview? It was about Billy Gun and he said this: "Hello, God? It's me, Billy. I just won King of the Ring but there's just one problem. Everyone still thinks that I ABSOLUTELY SUCK!"

Rich Cranium
10-29-2010, 01:36 PM
What we all know is that without the WWE, the Rock, excuse me, Dwayne would probably not be a movie star. My question is, why doesn't he give back, maybe an appearance here and there. Don't give us the impression you are saying "Screw You WWE!!".

Scottland
10-29-2010, 03:09 PM
What we all know is that without the WWE, the Rock, excuse me, Dwayne would probably not be a movie star. My question is, why doesn't he give back, maybe an appearance here and there. Don't give us the impression you are saying "Screw You WWE!!".

This has been a question that many people don't understand about Rock not making appearance here or there. Actually, Chris Jericho who recently commented on The Rock considers Rock as one of the few greats in the industry mentioned that as much as he thinks Rock is a great guy & a friend & all he just never understood why Rock never came back an made an appearance here or there. I think that's something many people have been asking from within WWE to the fans. Its something The Rock has never truly answered either.

SilverGhost
10-29-2010, 03:15 PM
This has been a question that many people don't understand about Rock not making appearance here or there. Actually, Chris Jericho who recently commented on The Rock considers Rock as one of the few greats in the industry mentioned that as much as he thinks Rock is a great guy & a friend & all he just never understood why Rock never came back an made an appearance here or there. I think that's something many people have been asking from within WWE to the fans. Its something The Rock has never truly answered either.

Maybe The Rock is the type of guy to "forget" what propelled him in the movie business? Or to put it simply....maybe he is the type of person that will forget what made him big.

Scottland
10-29-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm just sick of all the credit he gets for essentially doing less then other people. He got pushed from the start and his charisma as a heel put him over as the Rock we know today. I mean look at William Regal. He's great on the mic and in the ring but not given credit when it's due. Or Shawn Michaels, who no one should doubt is a great wrestler and took him years to be there.

That's why I made this challenge, to see if he has those memorable moments in a match like others. What was his "Body slamming Andre", "Losing an I Quit Match without quitting", or "Being chokeslamed through a cage and still smiling"?

But since people are putting interviews of his up, anyone know which date he did my favorite Interview? It was about Billy Gun and he said this: "Hello, God? It's me, Billy. I just won King of the Ring but there's just one problem. Everyone still thinks that I ABSOLUTELY SUCK!"

See that's were you are wrong saying Rock did less then other people. Rock really became the face of the company around 2000/2001. Rock changed the way wrestlers were looked upon. I mean he became a global transending superstar in & outside of wrestling something no one else has done other then Hulk Hogan. Rock though took it to a level beyond what Hogan took it too. I mean just see the video of his return I posted. The reaction that man got was something no one has matched. I mean Jim Ross was just speechless almost (& that wasn't an act). I mean don't get me wrong there are alot of great, legendary even iconic wrestlers who made an impact like Austin, Taker, HBK, HHH, Jericho, Cena, Orton & so forth but there impact was only to the extent of wrestling nothing else. Rock had a boat load of memorable moments if not more then most.

Also, No! his charisma as a heel didn't put him over. His heel days were his early days when was just getting started as The Rock. It's when he became a face with an anti-hero persona with his charisma that put him over the top & became the face of the WWE. There is NO ONE that could get an audience going like The Rock. I mean he just had to say "Finally" & that place went nuts. You can hate The Rock all you want BUT it's not going to change the fact The Rock is arguably the biggest name wrestling has ever produced. There is a reason why the Attitude Era was so great. Austin brought in the hardcore wrestling fans & The Rock brought in the general wrestling fans & non-wrestling fans. Like I also said, the WWE had it's biggest decrease (8%) in ratings when The Rock left more then anyone else. The closets to him was Austin at a 3% decrease.

Scottland
10-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Maybe The Rock is the type of guy to "forget" what propelled him in the movie business? Or to put it simply....maybe he is the type of person that will forget what made him big.

You know it's hard to say what the reasoning is for Rock not coming back just to appear live. I'm not going to make judgment for his reasoning or what type of person he is & so forth as that's being ill-judged. I mean he did do a video appearance on Smackdown for the hair vs. hair match. I did do the HOF which is still the highest rated HOF show to date (that was Ric Flair's HOF year). Until Rock says his reasoning or until he says he will never return then...it's pure speculation. I know for a fact he was suppose to come back this year to do the Special Guest GM thing on RAW for one night but couldn't because of his promotional duties with a film at the time. I think somewhere down-the-line The Rock will return & when that happens...it is going to be a reaction that WWE hasn't seen in years.

Rich Cranium
10-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Here's a clip of the Rock saying he will never return:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShKGKjabIZE

SilverGhost
10-29-2010, 04:13 PM
I think that vid explains volumes. But I believe he has one more great feud in the WWE for him.

Rassling_Fan
10-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Also, No! his charisma as a heel didn't put him over. His heel days were his early days when was just getting started as The Rock. It's when he became a face with an anti-hero persona with his charisma that put him over the top & became the face of the WWE. There is NO ONE that could get an audience going like The Rock. I mean he just had to say "Finally" & that place went nuts. You can hate The Rock all you want BUT it's not going to change the fact The Rock is arguably the biggest name wrestling has ever produced. There is a reason why the Attitude Era was so great. Austin brought in the hardcore wrestling fans & The Rock brought in the general wrestling fans & non-wrestling fans. Like I also said, the WWE had it's biggest decrease (8%) in ratings when The Rock left more then anyone else. The closets to him was Austin at a 3% decrease.

People were cheering him when he was a heel in the Nation. They turned him face and he still act pretty much the same on the mic, but against the heels. Still talking smack, still making fun of his opponents, only he added catchphrases with it. And notice the decrese when Rock left and you mention he brings in non-wrestling fans. And people complain when the WWE tries to do that now. And considering that at Wrestlemania people were cheering for Hogan more then the Rock, I wouldn't say no one could get an audience reation like that. And not everything in the Attitude Era was great. Focusing on storyline, devaluing titles, targeting a newer audience and forgetting their original, everything people are complaining about now was because of that time. Everyone is blinded by their bright moments that they don't see the damage the Attitude Era done. The WWE title changed hands 37 times in the 7 years it was here.

Scottland
10-30-2010, 01:25 AM
People were cheering him when he was a heel in the Nation. They turned him face and he still act pretty much the same on the mic, but against the heels. Still talking smack, still making fun of his opponents, only he added catchphrases with it. And notice the decrese when Rock left and you mention he brings in non-wrestling fans. And people complain when the WWE tries to do that now. And considering that at Wrestlemania people were cheering for Hogan more then the Rock, I wouldn't say no one could get an audience reation like that. And not everything in the Attitude Era was great. Focusing on storyline, devaluing titles, targeting a newer audience and forgetting their original, everything people are complaining about now was because of that time. Everyone is blinded by their bright moments that they don't see the damage the Attitude Era done. The WWE title changed hands 37 times in the 7 years it was here.

Wait...you are blaming the Attitude Era for today's Bubblegum Era? The problem with today's WWE is they are trying too hard to reach out to the general & non-wrestling fans. The Rock just automatically brought those demographics to the WWE. Cena isn't a draw. He's only a draw to kids. The combo of Rock/Austin is something the WWE just can't reproduce no matter how much Vince thinks Cena can do it for him. As for the reaction Hogan got from Wrestlemania against Rock? It's Toronto! They boo & cheer everything opposite there. You do know Toronto's nickname is bizarro-land. If it was anywhere else The Rock would have been the clear favorite. Also, blaming the Attitude Era for today's Bubblegum Era is inaccurate. The Attitude Era was a freak thing. The Attitude Era has nothing to do with the problems of today's WWE. Today's WWE era just doesn't have the talent of what the Attitude Era had to carry the product like it used to. WWE is desperate today as they need all the help they can get to get the ratings they used to have back in the day of the Attitude Era.

therockiswwf
10-30-2010, 01:49 AM
Well duh that was a Hogan moment. He was too selfish to put over Austin so instead he choose the Rock where he if he lost to Austin it would be all about Austin but for Rock it wouldnt be all about Rock (its kinda hard to get what Im saying so I hopes someone gets it).
Rock beating Austin wm 19
Rock destroying Mankind RR 1999
Rock RR 2000
I will come up with more later (maybe) but Im really tired right now so yeah.

Rassling_Fan
10-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Wait...you are blaming the Attitude Era for today's Bubblegum Era? The problem with today's WWE is they are trying too hard to reach out to the general & non-wrestling fans. The Rock just automatically brought those demographics to the WWE.
They were trying that hard back then. When the Rock and Stonecold proved popular, they pushed them to main event status and made everyone else follow to get that demographic. Which is why we got storylines about adultery, gunplay, and transgenders during the Attitude Era. To grab those demographics who were interested in what everyone was interested in the 90s.

As for the reaction Hogan got from Wrestlemania against Rock? It's Toronto! They boo & cheer everything opposite there. You do know Toronto's nickname is bizarro-land. If it was anywhere else The Rock would have been the clear favorite.
It's like they cheer people they like over people WWE push them to cheer.

Also, blaming the Attitude Era for today's Bubblegum Era is inaccurate. The Attitude Era was a freak thing. The Attitude Era has nothing to do with the problems of today's WWE. Today's WWE era just doesn't have the talent of what the Attitude Era had to carry the product like it used to. WWE is desperate today as they need all the help they can get to get the ratings they used to have back in the day of the Attitude Era.
As I mentioned, the diminishing of titles, the main focus on the storylines over the wrestling, the fact they screwed the last generation of fans to get the newest. You didn't counter any of these.

Rich Cranium
10-30-2010, 11:51 AM
This whole deal is a cycle. I'm sure they will bring some attitude back once this election dies off. After all, wasn't Hogan more or less bubblegum in the 80's with the "Say your prayers and take your vitamins" promos?

Scottland
10-30-2010, 04:37 PM
This whole deal is a cycle. I'm sure they will bring some attitude back once this election dies off. After all, wasn't Hogan more or less bubblegum in the 80's with the "Say your prayers and take your vitamins" promos?

Hogan was the definition of bubblegum (Cena isn't that far behind). But that era is called The Golden Age Era.

Scottland
10-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Well duh that was a Hogan moment. He was too selfish to put over Austin so instead he choose the Rock where he if he lost to Austin it would be all about Austin but for Rock it wouldnt be all about Rock (its kinda hard to get what Im saying so I hopes someone gets it).
Rock beating Austin wm 19
Rock destroying Mankind RR 1999
Rock RR 2000
I will come up with more later (maybe) but Im really tired right now so yeah.

Actaully, Austin & Hogan had personal issues between one & another well before the WWE let alone Austin never wanted to work with Hogan. Believe it or not, Hogan was willing to do a storyline with Austin in the WWE but Austin refused. Also, when the whole NWO thing started to kick in the WWE, The Rock was pretty much the face of the WWE. Austin wasn't the top guy for the company. Austin was on top from 1997 to around 2000 then The Rock took over from 2000 to 2002/2003. The Rock vs. Hogan match was suppose to be a passing of the torch kind of thing because at the time The Rock was suppose to lead the WWE for the coming years but we all know how that turned out (sadly).

P.S. If The Rock would have stuck around the Attitude Era would have continued much longer. After The Rock left the Attitude Era died with him & WWE's direction changed. The Rock would be the face of the company still. Cena wouldn't be the guy he is now.