PDA

View Full Version : Your pokemon are about to die.

IrkenInvader
01-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Do you know how pokemon games are saved?

Inside every gen 1 and 2 cartridge is a small battery that keeps the game powered at all times. Without these batteries every time you turn off your Gameboy you'd lose your save no matter what.
There is such a small power draw that they can last for years........about 15 years to be exact.

Pokemon was launched in North America on the 30th of September 1998.

Just under 14 years ago. Cherish your childhood while you still can. It will be gone forever soon.

VanHooliganX
02-01-2012, 08:12 AM

Inside every gen 1 and 2 cartridge is a small battery that keeps the game powered at all times. Without these batteries every time you turn off your Gameboy you'd lose your save no matter what.
There is such a small power draw that they can last for years........about 15 years to be exact.

Just under 14 years ago. Cherish your childhood while you still can. It will be gone forever soon.

I have FireRed and a Gameboy XP(or SP?...iuno some weird thing)

So I have a few years left.

Plus I found a website that allows you to play it online :)

SESAfro
02-01-2012, 11:42 AM
My Pokemon Blue hasnt died yet but my Pokemon Gold died like 4 years ago. It doesn't make sense!

Pumpkinhead
02-01-2012, 12:02 PM
There new pokemon games you know...

Automatic
02-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Pokemon on Blackberry doesn't die! Unless it breaks or I get an other phone.

Robareid
02-01-2012, 12:21 PM
My brother was playing my old Fire Red and this has started to happen... It's only like sevenish years old :(

Automatic
02-01-2012, 12:29 PM
You saw that on 9gag didn't you? I saw a picture of it.

IrkenInvader
02-01-2012, 12:58 PM
You saw that on 9gag didn't you? I saw a picture of it.

I saw it on memebase but there were a few too many spelling errors, so I typed it myself.

Iron Ape
02-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Replace the batteries on the cartridge.

xAzureSkye
02-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Lucky I have FireRed and SoulSilver so this wont happen to me for a while

The Brown One
02-01-2012, 04:55 PM
There new pokemon games you know...

The old ones are better.

IrkenInvader
02-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Replace the batteries on the cartridge.

How do we do that?

Automatic
02-01-2012, 05:22 PM
How do we do that?

Unfortunately it can't or there should be a way to recharge them while they are in the cartridge.

Iron Ape
02-01-2012, 06:00 PM
How do we do that?
I'm not really sure what Automatic is talking about. (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-replace-the-battery-in-a-pokemon-goldsilve/)

Automatic
02-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Oh, so it is possible.

Sully
02-02-2012, 09:33 AM

Wow, I totally didn't see this same exact thing...word for word...on a picture on Funnyjunk, nope not at all. :rolleyes:

Iron Ape
02-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Wow, I totally didn't see this same exact thing...word for word...on a picture on Funnyjunk, nope not at all. :rolleyes:
Check post #8, dude.

YoungOne245
02-02-2012, 06:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaAsR-jvRJs&feature=related

Sully
02-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Check post #8, dude.

Aha, I did a quick look before making that post to see if it was said before or if he said it in the OP. Guess it was just in that small position where it's not at the bottom and it's not at the top, so my eyes just glanced over it...

I do it a lot with Bodom's posts. :)

Bodom
02-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Aha, I did a quick look before making that post to see if it was said before or if he said it in the OP. Guess it was just in that small position where it's not at the bottom and it's not at the top, so my eyes just glanced over it...

I do it a lot with Bodom's posts. :)

Excuse me?

Tommy Thunder
02-03-2012, 08:08 AM
So this problem occurs with all the original ones (Red, Blue, and Green), and the 2nd gen, ones (Silver and Gold) yes?

VanHooliganX
02-03-2012, 09:26 AM
So this problem occurs with all the original ones (Red, Blue, and Green), and the 2nd gen, ones (Silver and Gold) yes?

I believe so.

Besides, can't we just travel to Lavender town and visit our dead pokemon in that tower?

xAzureSkye
02-03-2012, 06:03 PM
I believe so.

Besides, can't we just travel to Lavender town and visit our dead pokemon in that tower?

Haha! only Gastly seem to live there weirdly

Iron Ape
02-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Pretty much. DS games save to flash memory, so these battery issues should be limited to only pre-DS titles.

xAzureSkye
02-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Pretty much. DS games save to flash memory, so these battery issues should be limited to only pre-DS titles.

Wait, so FireRed and LeafGreen are also affected? FACK!

Iron Ape
02-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Wait, so FireRed and LeafGreen are also affected? FACK!
Unfortunately, yeah.

I kid you not, a couple of months back, I went through replacing the battery on my copy of Link's Awakening for the ol' Gameboy Color, and then Nintendo dropped it on the eShop, like, 3 or 4 days later. I was crazy irritated.

xAzureSkye
02-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Apparently Pokemon GBA ROMs don't work either, I can't save Emerald, it tells me there is a problem with the battery yet I can save every other game. SHIT!

JSullivan
02-07-2012, 07:04 AM
I have an emulator on my Wii - It's got at least another 15 years in its life :P

There is a counter to this battery issue (i've known about this for a few years) - Plug it into a DS/GB that charges (for example, Gameboy SG or whatever it was called), then leave the game ON, charging at the mains, for several hours, or so I'm told fixes the issue (for a short while, at least).

Alternatively, you can replace the battery - for instructions, see here. (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15464)

Tommy Thunder
08-27-2012, 06:50 AM
In accordance with this, I'm in the process of playing through Pokemon Red right now.

I figure I'll probably try replacing the battery in it once it dies though. I'll also try replacing the battery of my Yellow version, Mario golf and Links Awakening too. Those are the only games I care about on my GBA.

IrkenInvader
08-27-2012, 07:16 PM
I went back to play silver but then I remembered I caught and kept missingo. My cartridge is screwed anyway.