PDA

View Full Version : Masked Wrestlers - Do They Work Today?

Robstar
10-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Masked wrestlers - is this still a viable gimmick?

IMO, yes. I think WWE should be using more masked wrestlers. I know that they have a few in FCW, but they usually get repackaged with some ridiculous new gimmick when they are elevated to the main roster, alá Alberto Del Rio. I think WWE are wasting the opportunity to exploit what could not only be merchandising gold, but the opportunity to make masked characters stars. There are a couple of advantages here.
One is if they fail to get over, they can easily be taken off tv and repackaged with a new gimmick later on. Another is if they do get over then there's always the option of keeping them as is or unmasking them somewhere down the line - which is always good for at least 6 months of stories.

Having just Rey as the only masked wrestler is shortsighted IMO. I wish CM Punk had kept his mask for a while. Give me your opinions and tell me who you think would work well under a mask. :confused:

SilverGhost
10-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Kane should be back with the mask xD

But yes Masked Wrestlers are good and they still work! On the international level, Mexico and Japan still has masked wrestlers. I find them more fun than WWE wrestlers.

Kid_Gangsta
10-22-2010, 06:00 PM
man i wish there were more masked wrestlers. kane was my 2nd favorite wrestler back then because of the mask. no one else had a mask then... if the WWE can bring a wrestler in with a mask and book him seriously http://i54.tinypic.com/2ed2sn7.gif

Rich Cranium
10-22-2010, 06:17 PM
They should have brought in Del Rio with a mask. Hell, he even fought Cro Cop in MMA with one on.

eyehatecena
10-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I was not soo happy to hear about Dos Caras Jr coming into WWE without a mask and repacked. They showed Rey respect by bring him in and not changing him. But I am liking Dos's new thing- it works, but still I would rather see him as Dos.
I did like Kane with a mask better- but him being unmasked probally prolonged his career(that dude has had quite a few gimmicks.
I wish there wer more masked guys in WWE- but it would not work in todays WWE. I am sure once Rey leaves, they will not bring any in. But thats just my opinion

Robstar
10-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I was not soo happy to hear about Dos Caras Jr coming into WWE without a mask and repacked. They showed Rey respect by bring him in and not changing him. But I am liking Dos's new thing- it works, but still I would rather see him as Dos.
I did like Kane with a mask better- but him being unmasked probally prolonged his career(that dude has had quite a few gimmicks.
I wish there wer more masked guys in WWE- but it would not work in todays WWE. I am sure once Rey leaves, they will not bring any in. But thats just my opinion

You know what I'd like to see is Del Rio start to appear as Dos Caras as well as his other persona. Kind of a twin personality deal, alá Blue Blazer

cluntslandwich
10-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Will everyone please stop talking about how Kane should wear his mask again? Did you even stop to think for one second before you started spewing that garbage? The character has progressed. DEAL WITH IT.

SilverGhost
10-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Will everyone please stop talking about how Kane should wear his mask again? Did you even stop to think for one second before you started spewing that garbage? The character has progressed. DEAL WITH IT.

Masked Kane>Kane with no mask.

and I have thought about it xD

AGEOFFALL
10-24-2010, 12:39 AM
As long as there are not too many, then yeah it works.

CMhuw24
10-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Kane just seemed much more threatening with a mask, but hey, i doubt highly that WWE will give it back to him.