PDA

View Full Version : NHL Standings Question

Mtt08 xXx
01-22-2012, 11:09 AM
hey guys, do any of you fully understand the NHL Standings? i know its 2 points for a win, 1 point for an OT/SO loss, and 0 for a loss. but heres the example i dont understand....

1. Detriot- 65 points - 48 games played - 32-15-1
2. Vancouver- 62 points - 48 games played - 29-15-4
3. San Jose- 57 points - 45 games played - 26-14-5
4. St Louis- 64 points - 47 games played - 29-12-6
5. Chicago- 64 points - 49 games played - 29-14-6

how is vancouver higher in the standings than st louis? St Louis has more points, have played less games, and has fewer regulation losses, and the same amount of wins. i understand how san jose is higher, because they have played less games.

i know these standings change day-by-day anyway, but i would still like to know how this actually works. anybody know?

VanHooliganX
01-22-2012, 02:50 PM
It's a little confusing pal. But this is the reason:

Those are the conference standings.

There are 3 divisions in each of the 2 conferences.

Who're is winning in there division is automatically going to be 1 of the top 3.

Vancouver have an easy division and are 9 points ahead already. Sharks are ahead of there division too.

But In the Blues division you have the BlackHawks and DRW too. Only 1 of these teams is going to be in the top 3.

Doesn't matter if all 3 teams have more points then the rest of the conference. It would still mean the 2 losers of your division will finish 4th and 5th in the conference and therefore play each other in the play-offs.

If you have any more questions lemme know and i'll anwser it. :)

Mtt08 xXx
01-22-2012, 04:13 PM
It's a little confusing pal. But this is the reason:

Those are the conference standings.

There are 3 divisions in each of the 2 conferences.

Who're is winning in there division is automatically going to be 1 of the top 3.

Vancouver have an easy division and are 9 points ahead already. Sharks are ahead of there division too.

But In the Blues division you have the BlackHawks and DRW too. Only 1 of these teams is going to be in the top 3.

Doesn't matter if all 3 teams have more points then the rest of the conference. It would still mean the 2 losers of your division will finish 4th and 5th in the conference and therefore play each other in the play-offs.

If you have any more questions lemme know and i'll anwser it. :)

ah gotcha. makes sense, thanks man

VanHooliganX
01-22-2012, 04:21 PM
ah gotcha. makes sense, thanks man

No worries.

Gotta say. Hoping for a Canucks - Blues final for our conference :)

Mtt08 xXx
01-22-2012, 05:19 PM
No worries.

Gotta say. Hoping for a Canucks - Blues final for our conference :)

hahah i want a blues vs anyone other than Detroit/Chicago/Vancouver. it seems like those teams are always in it.

but i was at the vancouver vs stl game last week when vancouver won in OT. i dont know if you watched it or not, but the canucks got lucky on a bogus call to give them a 4 on 3 in OT haha