PDA

View Full Version : This site should black out as well

clh2285
01-17-2012, 06:30 PM
http://www.geeksugar.com/SOPA-Protest-List-Websites-Going-Dark-21361464
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57360223-261/google-will-protest-sopa-using-popular-home-page/

Reichwulf
01-17-2012, 06:43 PM
I support that, SOPA is only there to make the rich even richer, and nothing more than that.

clh2285
01-17-2012, 07:19 PM
https://wfc2.wiredforchange.com/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8173
USE YOUR PENS AND PAPER FOR THIS ONE BOYS AND GIRLS. CONTACT YOUR CONGRESS REPS TOMORROW
(names and numbers are listed in this link)

Steve Austin
01-18-2012, 08:01 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16623831

Sully
01-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I don't think so.

Sully
01-18-2012, 11:45 PM
What are we going to get from protesting it already anyways? Obama already made a statement saying he won't support it, and I didn't think it was going to end up getting to the President anyways.

PandaMassacre
01-19-2012, 01:17 AM
This is bullshit. If they pass this bill then I am not buying music albums, or movie releases. This is just a ploy to make us care about shitty artists and horrible remakes of classic movies. -_-;

The Brown One
01-19-2012, 01:34 AM
This is bullshit. If they pass this bill then I am not buying music albums, or movie releases. This is just a ploy to make us care about shitty artists and horrible remakes of classic movies. -_-;

Do you buy your music in the first place? Or are you like most of the world and download everything online? You have a good point about them though. IMO they're just trying to get people to buy the crappy new music so they can make more profit.

SilverGhost
01-19-2012, 01:43 AM

Do you buy your music in the first place? Or are you like most of the world and download everything online? You have a good point about them though. IMO they're just trying to get people to buy the crappy new music so they can make more profit.

Its a bit more than that. Stopping piracy is one but another is censorship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc

VanHooliganX
01-19-2012, 02:00 AM
Could be worse. They could be stopping you from watching all of the 10 sports teams you follow :(

I know it won't go through but I'd hate not being able to watch my teams.

Sully
01-19-2012, 02:41 AM

Don't stress about it. Barrack Obama already stated he isn't supporting it, so if by some chance it does pass through, he'll veto it. They know that passing a bill like that would be crazy, there would be people on the white house lawn. I don't think it's even going to get through congress, but if it does, Obama is shutting it down.

No big deal. I agree it's a crazy bill...but people are overreacting about it way too much.

PandaMassacre
01-19-2012, 02:45 AM
I was only stating what I would do. I still have hopes that it will not pass.

Sully
01-19-2012, 02:48 AM
Even if it did, I don't think it's going to make as much of an impact that people think it will. It was be somewhat difficult for them to enforce, the only impact will be the large uproar the people will make if it does pass.

AreYaSerious
01-19-2012, 02:53 AM
Its a bit more than that. Stopping piracy is one but another is censorship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc

I'm all against piracy, but it all comes down to that.

Well said.

SilverGhost
01-19-2012, 03:04 AM
I was only stating what I would do. I still have hopes that it will not pass.

Chances are it won't :)

Even if it did, I don't think it's going to make as much of an impact that people think it will. It was be somewhat difficult for them to enforce, the only impact will be the large uproar the people will make if it does pass.

*SOPA/PIPA passes*

Copyrighted material won't be shown on the net.

SouthernBlood
01-19-2012, 03:08 AM
this entire ordeal is whats wrong with corporate america/big business...nothin but fuckin bullshit...Yea...Censor screwy stuffy like the internet instead of worrying about bigger more important serious real life physical issues and problems...gotta love those frickin fatcats

Iron Ape
01-19-2012, 03:09 AM
This isn't even close to being accurate.

SilverGhost
01-19-2012, 03:15 AM
this entire ordeal is whats wrong with corporate america/big business...nothin but fuckin bullshit...Yea...Censor screwy stuffy like the internet instead of worrying about bigger more important serious real life physical issues and problems...gotta love those frickin fatcats

Well...if you look at the bigger picture, its about money since you know....we live in a recession..or depression? *looks at my secretary* Which one is it?

SilverGhost
01-19-2012, 03:16 AM

Probably the downloading teens would piss and moan? lol

PandaMassacre
01-19-2012, 03:21 AM

The crime rate would go up slightly. Computers and gaming consoles keep the majority of us sane. Yay or Nay? lol

Iron Ape
01-19-2012, 03:22 AM
LOTS of people are going to piss and moan...because the passing of such a bill would cause a complete paradigm shift on the internet as we've come to know it.

This whole thing is the equivalent of erasing convenience stores from the face of the planet because some of them occasionally get robbed. And that would be ridiculous.

SilverGhost
01-19-2012, 03:32 AM
The crime rate would go up slightly. Computers and gaming consoles keep the majority of us sane. Yay or Nay? lol

Lol xD Nay. Look at Apey. He can't seem to put the controller down....poor guy. That one level must be killing him.

But I was kinda referring the entertainment thingy though the gaming department does fit. (I'm happy I have Steam! :p)

LOTS of people are going to piss and moan...because the passing of such a bill would cause a complete paradigm shift on the internet as we've come to know it.

This whole thing is the equivalent of erasing convenience stores from the face of the planet because some of them occasionally get robbed. And that would be ridiculous.

>implying that the internet doesn't have enough paradigm shifts

Piracy handled. But censorship in place. I can see why people would be pissed though my question would be.....why censor the net? (I may have answered my own question :\)

Sully
01-19-2012, 03:39 AM

I don't think it's just teenagers. There amount of people not paying for music and movies has been rising and rising, adults included. Everyone and their mother is pretty much downloading music illegally now a days.

You guys say that this would prevent copyrighted material from showing on the internet, but don't they already prevent that as much as possible anyways? Or would everything with a patent not be allowed to be on the web?

Once again, it'd be very hard to enforce.

I can't even think of how many times you've bolded part of my post, and have said this to me.

Iron Ape
01-19-2012, 03:45 AM
I can't even think of how many times you've bolded part of my post, and have said this to me.
And I can't even think of how many times I've needed to. ;)

SilverGhost
01-19-2012, 03:49 AM
I don't think it's just teenagers. There amount of people not paying for music and movies has been rising and rising, adults included. Everyone and their mother is pretty much downloading music illegally now a days.

You guys say that this would prevent copyrighted material from showing on the internet, but don't they already prevent that as much as possible anyways? Or would everything with a patent not be allowed to be on the web?

Once again, it'd be very hard to enforce.

There are still ways to pirate the stuff. It takes a bit more than a search engine to do it.

Sully
01-19-2012, 03:53 AM
And I can't even think of how many times I've needed to. ;)

I have a feeling that it won't be the last time you'll say that either, I tend to say inaccurate things a lot.

Iron Ape
01-19-2012, 03:54 AM
Lol xD Nay. Look at Apey. He can't seem to put the controller down....poor guy. That one level must be killing him.

But I was kinda referring the entertainment thingy though the gaming department does fit. (I'm happy I have Steam! :p)
Huh? You've completely lost me here.

>implying that the internet doesn't have enough paradigm shifts
This would be the granddaddy of them all. We're talking about the slipperiest of slopes.

Piracy handled. But censorship in place. I can see why people would be pissed though my question would be.....why censor the net? (I may have answered my own question :\)
To create a false sense of security for those too dense to really understand what's at stake here. It's Constitution-spitting by those we employ to uphold it. Think back-alley shell game on a much larger scale.

SilverGhost
01-19-2012, 04:06 AM
To create a false sense of security for those too dense to really understand what's at stake here. It's Constitution-spitting by those we employ to uphold it. Think back-alley shell game on a much larger scale.

Same way with China right? Their net is censored.

Iron Ape
01-19-2012, 04:14 AM
Same way with China right? Their net is censored.

Yeah, but the difference is that China doesn't bother lying to their people and censor under the guise of a (false) democracy. They're at least polite enough to be upfront with their communism.