PDA

View Full Version : You don't need a belt to be a main eventer.

URATOOL
12-27-2011, 05:20 PM
There seems to be talk about "Will Ziggler/Rhodes/Sheamus become main eventers..." and a lot of people seem to think that to be a main eventer you must be a world title holder or recently lost a world title and be fighting to try and regain it.

Question: If a main eventer has a title and they are going to defend it as a main event. But their opponent has never held a world title. Is the opponent a main eventer or not?

Asherdelampyr
12-27-2011, 05:47 PM
I thought Sheamus was a main eventer, seeing as how he has been in the main event on numerous occasions on both TV and PPV

so I guess that means I am agreeing with you, it doesn't take a belt to be main event, though eventually if you hang around the main event scene long enough you will probably get one.

tchocky360
12-27-2011, 05:52 PM
I think a main eventer is someone you would pay money to see. Cena is a useful example because even though he's not a champ atm and not even in the hunt for one, his story is still the one that ends a Raw taping, his PPV matches are how the shows are usually ended.

But if the main event of next weeks Raw was Cena vs a rookie, you wouldn't describe the rookie as a main eventer.

I think a main eventer is generally someone who has a good amount of history and you care enough about them to see what they do next.

--------
so my answer is no, but I do agree with the title of the thread.

MachoManFan
12-27-2011, 06:14 PM
I'd say that a main eventer is someone who can be part of the best match on any given card. Obviously you can have a non title main event (see rock vs Cena) and I would say you don't have to be a champ / former champ to qualify. Wade barrett hasn't held either major title but has done his bit in main events and imo is a main eventer.
So, no you don't need a belt to be a main eventer.
(obviously other matches can steal the show but that doesn't change my point)

Reichwulf
12-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Nope you don't need a belt to be an main eventer, however you need to be pushed to a certain point and preform well to become one. Some "main eventers" have never held major titles in certain companies, yet preform well when they put on shows and are considered by many as main event talent.

The Brown One
12-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Of course you don't need a belt to be super. IMO a midcarder having feuds with 2 or 3 main eventers will eventually get them to main event status. Them winning championships just solidifies them as main eventers. But sometimes the WWE does it backwards - they slap a title on someone in a pathetic attempt to get them over. It didn't work well with Sheamus and ADR the first time.

VanHooliganX
12-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Of course you don't need a belt to be super. IMO a midcarder having feuds with 2 or 3 main eventers will eventually get them to main event status. Them winning championships just solidifies them as main eventers. But sometimes the WWE does it backwards - they slap a title on someone in a pathetic attempt to get them over. It didn't work well with Sheamus and ADR the first time.

Bolded = Wade Barrett :)

Dudes very popular and a badass heel and he only has a NXT season 1 title and IC title to his name.

The Brown One
12-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Bolded = Wade Barrett :)

Dudes very popular and a badass heel and he only has a NXT season 1 title and IC title to his name.

Yeah that's why I'm liking what they're doing with him atm. BTW that "super" was supposed to be "main eventer" lol. I got mixed up with another thread xD

evilgenius780
12-27-2011, 07:57 PM

This is exactly the problem, people who were over as main eventers used to get the title, now they use the title to try and get the over, it doesnt help the talent, it just takes away from the value of the championship.

Pumpkinhead
12-27-2011, 09:32 PM
This is exactly the problem, people who were over as main eventers used to get the title, now they use the title to try and get the over, it doesnt help the talent, it just takes away from the value of the championship.

Spot on doesn't help give someone a big title if he doesn't look like crebible competitor

URATOOL
12-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Some interesting views. So who are all the main eventers then. In your opinion.

The Brown One
12-28-2011, 01:42 AM
Some interesting views. So who are all the main eventers then. In your opinion.

ADR, Cena, Kane, Punk, The Miz, Orton, Sheamus, Big Show, Mark Henry, Daniel Bryan.

VanHooliganX
12-28-2011, 02:10 AM
ADR, Cena, Kane, Punk, The Miz, Orton, Sheamus, Big Show, Mark Henry, Daniel Bryan.

I reckon you may be adding Ziggler to that list soon.

Hopefully anyway :)

Murphdogg4
12-28-2011, 03:47 AM
personally I like the old JCP way of booking, every belt goes to your most over wrestlers, that way the titles actually mean something when someone else wins them.

TCM442
12-28-2011, 06:51 AM
I think everyone else said it. You don't need a belt to be a main eventer. I've seen plenty of people be given the belt and not be Main Eventers... And there are those that have never held a title and are booked more in the main event than most people with titles. I think a "Main Eventer" is a person that has connected with the audience and is interesting to watch. Someone that the people either want to cheer or boo. You can tell by the booking of that person because it's really strong and their are noticeable. I think the current WWE Main eventers are:

John Cena, Randy Orton, Mark Henry, Big Show, The Miz, ADR, Dolph Ziggler, Kane, Sheamus, CM Punk, and Wade Barrett. Daniel Bryan will be there if he's booked strong. but he's a prime example of someone being thrown into the ME with a belt. I don't think the NOT IWC fans were believing in him. Sucks that Henry got hurt.

Shaz11
12-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Alberto Del Rio, Big Show, Cm Punk, D-Bry, John Cena, Mark Henry, The Miz, Kane and Sheamus

I'm not sure about R-Truth though!

Cabers
12-28-2011, 03:08 PM
You don't need to be a champion or #1 contender to be a main eventer. Each show hs about 6 or more main eventers they can't all compete for the title.

evilgenius780
12-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Spot on doesn't help give someone a big title if he doesn't look like crebible competitor

Much was the problem with Daniel Bryan, had he been able to beat some of those lower mid-carders he would probably be taken more seriously as champion.

I like guys like Del Rio, Bryan, ect but they are not main eventers yet in my eyes,

Kane, Show, Cena, Orton. HHH (when he competes), Punk, Shaemus (really has showed he belongs lately).

I think Cody Rhodes is well on his way, Ziggler they should start working towards that point, and Mark Henry has put in his time, but they need to put him with faster guys, 2 400 plus pound guys just don't work well together.

Murphdogg4
12-28-2011, 04:19 PM
when you have guys without belts like Cena acting like they are above going after the us or ic belts, it takes away the meaning of winning those belts. I remember when Sting beat Flair for his first world championship the first thing Flair did was challenge Luger for his us belt, because that would put him one step closer to regaining the world title.

Murphdogg4
12-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Or when the were building Goldberg and Warrior they both won the secondary belts and were still holding them when the won the world titles.

evilgenius780
12-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Or when the were building Goldberg and Warrior they both won the secondary belts and were still holding them when the won the world titles.

They just haven't attempted to make The US or IC championships as presitgious as they once were, any of the championships for that matter. Over the past few years I have found it tough to really care who holds the titles. You know, especially with the upper card ones, we will be lucky to see these reigns last longer then a month, and with the mid cards, you are lucky to see it get defended on a regular basis.