PDA

View Full Version : TNA Then and Now.

Patrick
10-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Okay. So it has been little over a year since Hogan and co signed with TNA. Lets take a look at the changes, the promises, the feuds, the letdowns and the theories.

Okay. When Hogan and Bischoff went into Madison Square Garden to do that interview, when people saw the banner come down and the TNA logo at their backs, rumors and internet wrestling sites started to burn like crazy. Hogan, the John Cena for the WWF of the 20th century had crossed the line along with his good buddy Eric.

I, like most of you probably were, was excited. I thought that TNA truly could get better. They really could become a threat to the WWE. They really could have 6000+ people in an arena every night. Time went by. January 4th came. Big names were promised along with the debut of Hogan and Eric. People like Jeff Hardy had signed on. It was looking golden for TNA.

"Get rid of that jungle gym!"-Were the words of Hogan talking about the famous six-sided ring. It was like a child pulled Santa's beard and discovered he is not who he said he is. I was almost hurt. And I knew it to be true.

The ring left and TNA went to monday nights. Ratings started to fall. And here I am thinking, 'maybe you shouldn't have done that!'

Just when ratings were getting into the .6's and .7's they "went home" to Thursdays. And from then on they haven't really mentioned the WWE or going to war.

Ratings eventually picked up, but not without disappointed. We were seeing wrestlers like Scott Hall and X-Pac try and relive their glory days in stables where they were not even allowed to call themselves by their real name. We even had a feud between Team 3D and the Nasty Boyz. Stick four hungry fat guys in a room with one piece of cake and there you have that feud.

AJ became flairs puppet in 2010. He cast aside his personality in Flair's shadow. He would wear feathered robes where the feathers would come off and stick to his forehead. He lost his title to a face RVD, a move I'm still upset with.

One good thing about the WWE flood in TNA in 2010 was Mr. Anderson coming to join.

My point being in this article is it's been one year. At this time we were promised that TNA would be as big as the WWE. Right now TNA was supposed to be as big as WWE. What went wrong?

Was it the decline of the knockouts?

Was it Awesome Kong getting fired from a guy who was there for five minutes?

Was it splitting up LAX?

Was it "The Band"

Was it EV2.0?

Was it Vince Russo?

Was it Abyss and the development of his character?

Was it "The Shore"

It could have been a lot of things. But look at that list. And some of those things are pretty vague. Like Vince Russo. I could blog about him all day. Was that list that big for 2009? How about 2008? Will it get bigger in 2011?

I started this blog because I read somewhere that Jeff Jarrett believes that TNA will be as big as WWE in 2011. Jeff we have heard it before. Do not speak of such things unless you are absolutely certain they will happen. Just like I called Hogan and co turning heel at Bound For Glory due to the fact that it was in the same building where he turned heel in WCW all those years ago, I can predict that TNA will pick up a bit, but nothing of that magnitude. TNA, it's time to stop trying to be WWE or as big as WWE. And time for you to start being TNA again. Samoa Joe. X-Division. AJ. Six Sides. Youth.

If you made it this far I thank you for reading.

SilverGhost
10-18-2010, 10:11 AM
I think it was the return of some veterans from the 80's that brought the show down hill. Though thats what I think.

I think the "war" that was happening in Monday nights was the last nail in the coffin for TNA. They were ready for a Monday Night War against WWE by being almost like WWE or WCW instead of being TNA. I think this was the letdown. It was WAY TOO early.

Knockouts: I admit this was fun to watch. Especially Roxxi being all Hardcore Knockout. But since they brought eye candy instead of real wrestlers and driving out some wrestlers, it became just like WWE.

Bubba the Love Sponge......Oh yeah....Kong knocked him out. Bubba deserved that. Having Bubba was a HUGE mistake.

Sad that LAX split......they would have been rivals with MCMG or Beer Money now.

Geez....NWO came back in a horrible way.....I mean I like the effort but seriously this isn't the late 90's....

Ev2.0....I can kinda see why the would bring a few ECW guys in the mix but this doesn't make TNA pop.

Vince Russo.....we all know its this guys fault. My opinion is that when its a great idea coming from him, its was a stolen idea.

Abyss....it can't be Abyss that made TNA decline.

Jersey Shore people in TNA....seriously this is wrestling, not some drama show! Last time I checked it was- oops nevermind....

SilverGhost
10-18-2010, 10:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH1xm2fOXD4&feature=related

I hope this vid will shed some light.

jethro
10-18-2010, 11:35 AM
We even had a feud between Team 3D and the Nasty Boyz. Stick four hungry fat guys in a room with one piece of cake and there you have that feud.
I laughed.

Was it the decline of the knockouts?
Kinda,remember when Kong is shown people tune in,now they only focus on beautiful people and tara/rayne.I thought knockout division expanded.

Was it Awesome Kong getting fired from a guy who was there for five minutes?
I want to see Kong destroy everyone

Was it splitting up LAX?
Good team

Was it "The Band"
Singing band?

Was it EV2.0?
Back in the 90s yes they are awesome! so underground! now not anymore,move on.

Was it Vince Russo?
I dont know about this fella

Was it Abyss and the development of his character?
Face,heel,face,heel,heel,face i cant tell anymore

cetotheizzo
10-18-2010, 12:19 PM

LOL awesome video, that pretty much explains what I was going to say.

Cornzone2
10-18-2010, 04:41 PM
I love how old man Hogan can knock AJ Styles down with one punch. Way to put AJ over.

Bodom
10-18-2010, 04:45 PM

I had forgotten about that Orlando Jordan incident. Thank you for reminding me of something I had tried dearly to forget.

merhardt03
10-18-2010, 06:11 PM
I had forgotten about that Orlando Jordan incident. Thank you for reminding me of something I had tried dearly to forget.
lol. I hear ya on that. Thanx SilverGhost. Anyway, It was too early for a new MNW. As a few of you have said, TNA needs to be TNA and not like WWE. I statred watching TNA in 2006 alot more on a regular basis and they were there own entity. A reasonable complete alternative to Mondays and Fridays WWE. They should find there own identity once again. But, unlikely, since H&B are there now. X-Division is pretty much nothing. Knockouts are nothing, sick of TBP , BTW wheres the TNA Knockouts Tag champs, and Daffney? I could go on & on. I hope I made some sense. I dont think TNA is doomed to fail anytime soon as I often read though. Its got alot of years ahead of it I believe. Remember it is very young as a whole. Its making its mistakes, which in essence is a good thing, despite the painfulness of it to watch at times.

Tommy Thunder
10-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Before anyone else does so, let ME give MY infinite wisdom on this matter!!

Was it the decline of the knockouts?! No. Because, TNA's women's division is superior to WWE's, and it is going strong.

Was it Awesome Kong getting fired? No, because 1 girl ain't going to change a company.

Was it splitting up LAX? No. LAX were a credible enough tag team, but were they as good as the MCMGs? Or BMI? Or Gen Me? Or even Ink Inc? No!! Homocide needs to evolve in the X division, and Hernandez needs to break out on his own.

Was it "The Band"? NO!! Scott Hall, X Pac and Nash together can only improve a company. If TNA had proper drug patrolling, Hall and Pac would have never been hired, or would have been helped. WWE have ended up helping Hall, and Pac is back on the indys (TNA DROPPED THE BALL BIG TIME!!)

Was it EV2.0? NO. EV2.0 have been a great asset to TNA. The ratings have gone up since they joined, and the wrestlers have proven they still have it!! Dreamer can still go, Richards and Raven can still go, and most surprisingly, Sabu can still do his amazing stuff!! Hope all the EV2.0 guys stay with TNA for a few years!!

No comment on the other guys. Russo isn't worth talking about. Abyss, I can't talk about (as I'm not a hardcore TNA fan), and as for "The Shore", I don't give a fuck!! (and I doubt anyone else does either!!)!!

Now THAT, is infinite wisdom!!

SilverGhost
10-18-2010, 09:24 PM

No problem. Though this isn't an OJ thread. But you already knew that xD

Bodom
10-18-2010, 09:31 PM
No problem. Though this isn't an OJ thread. But you already knew that xD

Wasn't turning it into one. Merely pointing out a portion of a video clip that you posted in this thread

SilverGhost
10-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Wasn't turning it into one. Merely pointing out a portion of a video clip that you posted in this thread

Lol you enjoyed that part dude xD

merhardt03
10-18-2010, 09:36 PM
May there never be an OJ Thread.....

SilverGhost
10-18-2010, 09:42 PM
May there never be an OJ Thread.....

Lol xD -starts an OJ thread-

Patrick
10-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks for everyone responding. It's nice to hear your thought's on the subject as it makes my point of view on it a little bit more knowledgeable. And I'm not saying this because he contradicted me, but infinite wisdom guy. We know your trying to do a wrestling type gimmick on the internet about how smart you are. It's great. A great gimmick to say the least. Perhaps it would work better if you were a wrestler? This is the internet. There are no ropes, no ringposts and certainly no gimmicks. But my point being, is you seem to contradict ANYTHING you can because you are one of those people who has to be on the other side of the coin. Who has to "go against the grain" so to speak.

But anyways, that video that was posted was really funny! Thanks to the guy who posted it. Ink Inc being better than LAX? Really? Think about that for a bit. Yeah, I don't think so. Although it is nice to see some fresh faces in divisions, splitting up that team was a mistake. Obviously this guys doesn't know his stuff because Homicide is no longer with TNA. Had he been in that tag team still, maybe he could've shown in the x-division as well as the tag division like a lot of teams do. Hernandez will be that guy we always want to see shine in the main event, but he will more than likely get lost in the shuffle.

And yes, ratings for TNA has increased, but we're trailing after their premier event of the year. All rating increase in the month before and after the big event. So to credit EV2.0 with that is ignorant. Besides. Remember Hardcore Justice? The only thing good about it was the theme song.

And having a good drug testing system within the company aint going to slow down a couple of wrestlers who have been on drugs for 20+ years now. Those systems are only effective to the younger talent. Remember Hall and X-Pac? Remember their sad attempts at backstage fighting? Do you really want to see a guy 15+ years past his prime wrestle in t-shirts in an attempt to conceal his grossly out of shape body? X-Pac could've been great, but he was a package deal with Hall and was too into his drugs to really perform for TNA. So the band kind of did hurt TNA because they gave their screen time to them as opposed to people who deserved it.

And lastly, the one girl changing the company? When did the knockouts shine the most? When was that division something worth giving a damn? Oh yeah, I remember, it was when Kong was signed and reigned supreme. Kong did not only change that division, but that company. It gave TNA a heads up on their diva counterparts division. It ultimately gave TNA "Bragging Rights" over WWE. So yes, one person can change a division/company.

Bodom
10-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Lol xD -starts an OJ thread-

Don't you dare!

SilverGhost
10-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Don't you dare!

Ima do it! IMA DO IT!

Bodom
10-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Ima do it! IMA DO IT!

and i'll delete it! :p

merhardt03
10-18-2010, 09:59 PM
For the love of God... Please no..... ;)

Bodom
10-18-2010, 10:01 PM
For the love of God... Please no..... ;)

Thank you!

IPEEINTHESHOWER
10-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. Patrick A.K.A Paddy I'm over joyed you read my post. The world is full of dull boring people and I am not one of them. I have strong opinions and I let them be heard. I say what needs to be said and that my friend is why FROM THE STATE CAPITAL TO THE NATIONS CAPITAL TO THE PINEAPPLE TO THE BIG APPLE THERE WILL ONLY BE ONE IPEEINTHESHOWER. U MAD???

Infinite wisdom
read above post

SilverGhost
10-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. Patrick A.K.A Paddy I'm over joyed you read my post. The world is full of dull boring people and I am not one of them. I have strong opinions and I let them be heard. I say what needs to be said and that my friend is why FROM THE STATE CAPITAL TO THE NATIONS CAPITAL TO THE PINEAPPLE TO THE BIG APPLE THERE WILL ONLY BE ONE IPEEINTHESHOWER. U MAD???

Infinite wisdom
read above post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0&feature=related

Anyways xD

I do believe that Kong did change the landscape of TNA. Too bad that certain incident with Bubba made her leave.

Allison
10-20-2010, 05:21 PM
What "went wrong" is that Hogan and Bischoff are poison to the wrestling industry.

Bodom
10-20-2010, 05:31 PM
What "went wrong" is that Hogan and Bischoff are poison to the wrestling industry.

I second this

SilverGhost
10-20-2010, 09:57 PM
I second this

I third this.

Look IPITS didn't have a come back :o He has lost his touch xD

WilliamJames
10-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Vintage forum!!

SilverGhost
10-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Vintage forum!!

NOoOoOOOoOOO! YOU HAVE INFECTED THIS THREAD WITH MICHAEL COLE!