PDA

View Full Version : When Enemies Win the Tag Titles Together

Giddy
12-14-2011, 09:22 AM
I know this is kind of a random topic, but what do you guys think about it. I think it devalues the title when they turn on each other, and purposely lose the title in a short period of time. For example, when Miz and Cena won it together, Miz then attacked Cena, causing them to lose the titles. This shows Miz couldn't care less about being tag team champion, and would rather just get an edge on his soon-to-be-opponent. Same with when Michaels and Cena were partners. That was better, but still, Michaels just gave up the titles, which also shows he doesn't give a crap about them. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Just to be clear I'm not against enemies teaming up, just them screwing each other out of the titles after only a short period

68wPayne
12-14-2011, 09:26 AM
I think it can be a great storyline if they actually value having a title. Like back in ECW Lance Storm and Chris Candido held the titles and they couldn't stand each other. But they held the titles for a while if I remember correctly. If they are going to do the storyline it should add to a long storyline. I really think they just did it with John Cena so he could be a Triple Crown Champ cause I don't think he held the tag titles before that.

Giddy
12-14-2011, 09:28 AM
I think it can be a great storyline if they actually value having a title. Like back in ECW Lance Storm and Chris Candido held the titles and they couldn't stand each other. But they held the titles for a while if I remember correctly. If they are going to do the storyline it should add to a long storyline. I really think they just did it with John Cena so he could be a Triple Crown Champ cause I don't think he held the tag titles before that.
I agree, like when MVP & Matt Hardy won it, I thought that was great, but when Batista & Cena won it, not so great

Asherdelampyr
12-14-2011, 09:37 AM
When Enemies Win the Tag Titles Together
John Cena is involved.

they did that with Benoit and Angle too, and it was awesome

Giddy
12-14-2011, 09:42 AM
John Cena is involved.
I actually didn't think of that but like everytime that's happened, when it wasn't MVP and Matt Hardy, Cena was involved

Asherdelampyr
12-14-2011, 09:45 AM
I actually didn't think of that but like everytime that's happened, when it wasn't MVP and Matt Hardy, Cena was involved
its one of the best ways for him to get a heel over without a direct confrontation

tchocky360
12-14-2011, 09:56 AM
I know this is kind of a random topic, but what do you guys think about it. I think it devalues the title, because, for example, when Miz and Cena won it together, Miz then attacked Cena, causing them to lose the titles. This shows Miz couldn't care less about being tag team champion, and would rather just get an edge on his soon-to-be-opponent. Same with when Michaels and Cena were partners. That was better, but still, Michaels just gave up the titles, which also shows he doesn't give a crap about them. What do you guys think?

I don't know if it was strictly because Miz didn't care about the tag titles. He's won them before with Jo-Mo, Jericho and Big Show as well I think. And he's fought for it with R-Truth recently. I just think that at the time the idea was that he just really hated Cena, he didn't want the titles and wasn't interested in defending them with Cena.

I think more having the titles still on Kofi and Bourne devalues them, especially if they aren't going to be defended at TLC for the second PPV in a row, I'm hoping at Smackdown some tag match for TLC will be announced.

TNA have their tag titles on two rivals in Morgan and Crimson and that's looking like it could be alright so I think it can work quite well. Benoit and Angle as Asherdelampyr said was good. Like everything I guess it just depends how it's booked. It's not been done well in WWE for a while though.

Giddy
12-14-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't know if it was strictly because Miz didn't care about the tag titles. He's won them before with Jo-Mo, Jericho and Big Show as well I think. And he's fought for it with R-Truth recently. I just think that at the time the idea was that he just really hated Cena, he didn't want the titles and wasn't interested in defending them with Cena.

I think more having the titles still on Kofi and Bourne devalues them, especially if they aren't going to be defended at TLC for the second PPV in a row, I'm hoping at Smackdown some tag match for TLC will be announced.

TNA have their tag titles on two rivals in Morgan and Crimson and that's looking like it could be alright so I think it can work quite well. Benoit and Angle as Asherdelampyr said was good. Like everything I guess it just depends how it's booked. It's not been done well in WWE for a while though.
Its more when one screws the other one just a little while after they win it, than just two people who don't like each other.

Xpacfan
12-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I know this is kind of a random topic, but what do you guys think about it. I think it devalues the title, because, for example, when Miz and Cena won it together, Miz then attacked Cena, causing them to lose the titles. This shows Miz couldn't care less about being tag team champion, and would rather just get an edge on his soon-to-be-opponent. Same with when Michaels and Cena were partners. That was better, but still, Michaels just gave up the titles, which also shows he doesn't give a crap about them. What do you guys think?

If this was remotely true, we would have never gotten teams like "The Rock n' Sock Connection", "The Brothers of Destruction", or the original "D-Generation X".

Giddy
12-14-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm not saying enemies shouldn't team up! I'm saying they shouldn't screw each other out of the title days into it!

Xpacfan
12-14-2011, 10:34 AM
OH! I get what you're saying. Yeah, if its not for a face or heel turn for both wrestler and the objective is not to put them over some how, it really is pointless.

Honarable mention: Chris Jericho/Chyna, X-pac/Kane, JoMo/Miz, Taker/Big Show

The Brown One
12-14-2011, 10:46 AM
If this was remotely true, we would have never gotten teams like "The Rock n' Sock Connection", "The Brothers of Destruction", or the original "D-Generation X".

And tell me, how long ago did we see those teams? The WWE hasn't had very interesting enemy tagteams in a while. The best one from the past few years was Matt Hardy and MVP, and they were midcarders! But they were still more exciting than Cena's ones.

Xpacfan
12-14-2011, 10:48 AM
And tell me, how long ago did we see those teams? The WWE hasn't had very interesting enemy tagteams in a while. The best one from the past few years was Matt Hardy and MVP, and they were midcarders! But they were still more exciting than Cena's ones.

Re-Read my statement above. I misunderstood what was originally written...corrected

sincara
12-14-2011, 11:11 AM
it just makes the titles look bad if main event talent just treat them titles like the dirt on their shoes also it disrupts long runs as people could be set to hold the title for a year but just lose it to enemies to win it back minutes later >:(

scribbler_jones
12-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Myself, I like the idea of rivals/enemies being tag champs. Like Xpacfan noted, that's where we got some of our more memorable tag teams. Also, I think it adds the possibility of a neat story dynamic: two enemies who my despise each other, but who may want to be champions more. I like seeing that play out with TNA's current tag champs, although I think it could be played up a bit more. WWE could stand to do better though: having the team fall out a few days (or a few minutes) after winning the titles devalues the titles to me. If WWE decides to try this again, I'd like to see them apply themselves to the story a little more. But who knows, eh?

Giddy
12-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Myself, I like the idea of rivals/enemies being tag champs. Like Xpacfan noted, that's where we got some of our more memorable tag teams. Also, I think it adds the possibility of a neat story dynamic: two enemies who my despise each other, but who may want to be champions more. I like seeing that play out with TNA's current tag champs, although I think it could be played up a bit more. WWE could stand to do better though: having the team fall out a few days (or a few minutes) after winning the titles devalues the titles to me. If WWE decides to try this again, I'd like to see them apply themselves to the story a little more. But who knows, eh?
I like that too, I just don't like when the purposely lose the titles in a very short period of time

The Brown One
12-14-2011, 11:32 AM
I like that too, I just don't like when the purposely lose the titles in a very short period of time

That's what devalues the titles. Lets say two main eventers held the titles - e.g. Henry and The Big Show. They could add prestige to the titles by having a long reign, and having a good storyline to back that up. But if they lose the titles in like 2 weeks, it just lowers their prestige.

Giddy
12-14-2011, 11:33 AM
that's what devalues the titles. Lets say two main eventers held the titles - e.g. Henry and the big show. They could add prestige to the titles by having a long reign, and having a good storyline to back that up. But if they lose the titles in like 2 weeks, it just lowers their prestige.
exactly!!! Thank you!!!

The Brown One
12-14-2011, 11:34 AM
exactly!!! Thank you!!!

Shit that was a fast post!

Giddy
12-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Shit that was a fast post!
*bows* Thank you, Thank you

Mikeyboy7777777
12-14-2011, 01:42 PM
*bows* Thank you, Thank you
the tag team competition could get back up with one simple match being added
air boom vs epico & primo vs the usos in a 3 way tlc match for the tag team titles with air boom losing

Giddy
12-14-2011, 01:45 PM
the tag team competition could get back up with one simple match being added
air boom vs epico & primo vs the usos in a 3 way tlc match for the tag team titles with air boom losing
I'd really like this, but The Usos need to be built up again, because they've been relegated to NXT and are never on TV anymore... :(

Peter Kaymakcian
12-14-2011, 01:55 PM
I think it depends on what kind of rivals they are. Like if it's enemies like Cena and Orton we're then no way in hell should they be allowed to hold the titles. However if it is a rivalry where the guys are just trying to one up each other or out do each other I think it could work. Mainly because neither one will want to be the guy who wants to lose and that type of rivalry could become a friendship just because of the respect that will be earned over the course of a title run.

TNA 'The very best'
12-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Random question but when was the last time air boom defended them, isn't there a 30 day limit
On titles?? Or are we ignoring this

Giddy
12-14-2011, 02:06 PM
I think it depends on what kind of rivals they are. Like if it's enemies like Cena and Orton we're then no way in hell should they be allowed to hold the titles. However if it is a rivalry where the guys are just trying to one up each other or out do each other I think it could work. Mainly because neither one will want to be the guy who wants to lose and that type of rivalry could become a friendship just because of the respect that will be earned over the course of a title run.
I agree, like Matt Morgan and Crimson in TNA, its fine that they're tag champions because they respect each other

Shaz11
12-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Crimson and Morgan were big rivals, I can see them holding the belts for a long time. Matt Morgan betrayed Abyss and Hernandez so Crimson may attack Morgan or vice versa, thus breaking up the team and a match at Bound for Glory between the two!!!

CobraNightviper
12-14-2011, 07:50 PM
I think wwe is ignoring this but I thought it was at least every 30 days too that a title had to be defended but may be that was the old days of wrestling.
Random question but when was the last time air boom defended them, isn't there a 30 day limit
On titles?? Or are we ignoring this