PDA

View Full Version : Straight Edge

Pumpkinhead
12-13-2011, 04:52 PM
I'd always imagine when Punk became the face of the company they will use his Straight Edge gimmick to foment kids to stay out drugs and alcohol taking advantage of the PG-Era, some you might say we are in the entertainment era now but WWE is more friendly mainstream based product so I wonder, I love "The best in the world" gimmick but could a nice complement

What do you guys think??

URATOOL
12-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I'd always imagine when Punk became the face of the company they will use his Straight Edge gimmick to foment kids to stay out drugs and alcohol taking advantage of the PG-Era, some you might say we are in the entertainment era now but WWE is more friendly mainstream based product so I wonder, I love "The best in the world" gimmick but could a nice complement

What do you guys think??

Unfortunately after winning the WWE title he went on a massive cocaine and lager bender. That's why they aren't mentioning the SES stuff for a while. They need to let the dust settle (mainly at the back of his nose).

thejman93
12-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Unfortunately after winning the WWE title he went on a massive cocaine and lager bender. That's why they aren't mentioning the SES stuff for a while. They need to let the dust settle (mainly at the back of his nose).

Hahahaha!

Beautiful.

Really though, Punk is supposed to be anti-establishment.

Telling kids to no use drugs is very much within the establishment.

It wouldn't fit.

MattTY2JHBK
12-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Nice idea, and it could work well, but John Cena currently has the role of the kids hero.
CM Punk's character is trying to save pro-wrestling and the anti-hero against the establishment.

tchocky360
12-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Hahahaha!

Beautiful.

Really though, Punk is supposed to be anti-establishment.

Telling kids to no use drugs is very much within the establishment.

It wouldn't fit.

Punk says in personal life he's disruptive and anti-establishment, in his personal life he still chooses to avoid drugs.
Problem is it's easier for a crowd to hate someone who says don't drink, smoke or do drugs then it is for them to do anything else.

The Punk/Jeff Hardy feud promos said it all already pretty well, even mothers and fathers cheered for the screw up on drugs rather then the hardworking sober guy.

The WWE's biggest star is Steve Austin, pretty much says it all. 'E are not looking to improve people's health.

Punk being straight edge is a nice thing to casually drop in interviews once in a while while he's a face or tweener, but I think he won't make a big deal about it unless he's trying to turn the crowd against him.

URATOOL
12-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Punk says in personal life he's disruptive and anti-establishment, in his personal life he still chooses to avoid drugs.
Problem is it's easier for a crowd to hate someone who says don't drink, smoke or do drugs then it is for them to do anything else.

The Punk/Jeff Hardy feud promos said it all already pretty well, even mothers and fathers cheered for the screw up on drugs rather then the hardworking sober guy.

The WWE's biggest star is Steve Austin, pretty much says it all. 'E are not looking to improve people's health.

Punk being straight edge is a nice thing to casually drop in interviews once in a while while he's a face or tweener, but I think he won't make a big deal about it unless he's trying to turn the crowd against him.

Whose hating Punk for being SE??

Whilst he's big. I don't see Austin as The E's biggest star. Maybe when he was wrestling full time, but even then he shared the spot light with Rocky.

tchocky360
12-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Whose hating Punk for being SE??

Whilst he's big. I don't see Austin as The E's biggest star. Maybe when he was wrestling full time, but even then he shared the spot light with Rocky.

One of the main themes of the Hardy/Punk feud was that Jeff would be cheered, even though he was an addict and a bad example to the kids who loved him. Whereas Punk gets booed for saying alcohol is poison, which is totally true, or that smoking is obviously bad for your health but people are stupid enough to keep doing it, again true.
Punk's big heel faction was all about being straight edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVUOyFwckCo&feature=related

Point is, apart from their anti-bullying thing, which is ignored by their main voice on TV, WWE aren't that interested in promoting mental/physical health. It's not really their job to either.

Slightly nit-picking over the Austin comment :P fine, one of their biggest stars was Austin, does that drastically change what I earlier wrote?

I don't think it's fair that that seems to be the case, but I doubt Punk will make a big deal about SE while he wants popularity with the crowd.

MachoManFan
12-13-2011, 07:56 PM
I think the biggest problem with Punk being overtly straight edge as a face is that he used it so much as a heel. "I'm straight edge, that means I better than you." and the SES will still be in the back of people's minds.

So basically what tchocky360 said....
...should have read that first perhaps.

Murphdogg4
12-13-2011, 08:30 PM
he hasn't dropped any pipe bombs in months. Vince really, really dropped the ball on this guy.

Chavo
12-13-2011, 09:29 PM
They need to let the dust settle (mainly at the back of his nose).

Quoted to bring more attention to this wonderful....line

Chavo
12-13-2011, 09:30 PM
he hasn't dropped any pipe bombs in months.

Actually if he dropped a pipe bomb, he would be in jail. Then who would Jericho come back to wrestle?

Giddy
12-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Actually if he dropped a pipe bomb, he would be in jail. Then who would Jericho come back to wrestle?
This Man:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yDnVKnYkcaY/TJrqc3tQmnI/AAAAAAAABaY/omT_Q934bqw/s1600/tumblr_l8azngxs891qcp23ro1_1280.jpg

Pumpkinhead
12-13-2011, 09:35 PM
One of the main themes of the Hardy/Punk feud was that Jeff would be cheered, even though he was an addict and a bad example to the kids who loved him. Whereas Punk gets booed for saying alcohol is poison, which is totally true, or that smoking is obviously bad for your health but people are stupid enough to keep doing it, again true.
Punk's big heel faction was all about being straight edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVUOyFwckCo&feature=related

Point is, apart from their anti-bullying thing, which is ignored by their main voice on TV, WWE aren't that interested in promoting mental/physical health. It's not really their job to either.

Slightly nit-picking over the Austin comment :P fine, one of their biggest stars was Austin, does that drastically change what I earlier wrote?

I don't think it's fair that that seems to be the case, but I doubt Punk will make a big deal about SE while he wants popularity with the crowd.

Inverted Psicology, I get your point but with the E focus in getting the money straight from the kids that could have been a way of sealing more sponsors deals ofr something like that, maybe they are doing so well they dont need it

Chavo
12-13-2011, 09:44 PM
This Man

For about 10 seconds, I thought that was Generic Abercrombie model #12 before I took a close look at the face lol

The Brown One
12-13-2011, 10:39 PM
he hasn't dropped any pipe bombs in months. Vince really, really dropped the ball on this guy.

I knew the day would come when people started to turn on Punk.

tchocky360
12-13-2011, 11:14 PM
I knew the day would come when people started to turn on Punk.

Punk in a match I can watch all day. I'm def a fan, I think it's just hard to go from genuinely seeming to say how you feel about your bosses and what's wrong with the company, to now saying the obvious about how a contract signing always turns out.
It's not really his fault, but he's gone from these "If I'm going out I'm leaving with a bang" balls out promos, to now just acting the part of the disruptor.
Punks not that anymore, his spot is as secure now as Cena's.
So when he said to Cena & HHH "I know I'm probably the last guy you expected to see out here.." during the strike episode that wasn't true anymore. Punk is main event, he's wasn't going to be amongst the midcard and jobbers.

The problem is he's gone from genuine rebel, to acting a rebel.
To factory produced, from organic.

Punk is still Punk, great in-ring and promos, but there was a essence of truth towards his MITB build that you can't really replicate.
People are going to complain that he's not as good now or "not dropping pipebombs" but you have to be realistic.
There's a lot of make believe in wrestling but there are some events and things you just can't fake.

tchocky360
12-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Inverted Psicology, I get your point but with the E focus in getting the money straight from the kids that could have been a way of sealing more sponsors deals ofr something like that, maybe they are doing so well they dont need it

Hey, WWE will take whatever sponsorship money is available, no such thing as a business thinking they have enough money to not need anymore lol

I could be wide of the mark, but I'm not sure if an SE attitude is really going to get you money that just being a PG company with millions of young fans won't already get you.
Like, there are lots of very wealthy companies that would want to reach a young or family friendly audience, but how many companies would want to promote SE, it's essentially telling you not to buy things. There's no real money in having a SE audience that way.
That being said maybe SE is a bigger business in other places

The Brown One
12-14-2011, 12:33 AM
Punk in a match I can watch all day. I'm def a fan, I think it's just hard to go from genuinely seeming to say how you feel about your bosses and what's wrong with the company, to now saying the obvious about how a contract signing always turns out.
It's not really his fault, but he's gone from these "If I'm going out I'm leaving with a bang" balls out promos, to now just acting the part of the disruptor.
Punks not that anymore, his spot is as secure now as Cena's.
So when he said to Cena & HHH "I know I'm probably the last guy you expected to see out here.." during the strike episode that wasn't true anymore. Punk is main event, he's wasn't going to be amongst the midcard and jobbers.

The problem is he's gone from genuine rebel, to acting a rebel.
To factory produced, from organic.

Punk is still Punk, great in-ring and promos, but there was a essence of truth towards his MITB build that you can't really replicate.
People are going to complain that he's not as good now or "not dropping pipebombs" but you have to be realistic.
There's a lot of make believe in wrestling but there are some events and things you just can't fake.

You can't expect Punk to do worked - shoots every time hes in the ring. He would become stale. That moment when he did the worked - shoot should not be replicated every week. It was a great moment that we will always remember. And anyway, Punk is still one of the most interesting talents on the roster, so I'm not complaining.

Robstar
12-14-2011, 12:46 AM
I wonder why he doesn't count caffeine in his straight edge lifestyle... ;)

AreYaSerious
12-14-2011, 01:44 AM
You can't expect Punk to do worked - shoots every time hes in the ring. He would become stale. That moment when he did the worked - shoot should not be replicated every week. It was a great moment that we will always remember. And anyway, Punk is still one of the most interesting talents on the roster, so I'm not complaining.

Quoted for the truth. I been a fan of Punks regardless. He is an awesome heel, and an awesome face.

tchocky360
12-14-2011, 02:37 AM

I totally agree with you that it's impossible for him to that each week. or even maybe once in a career. What we got from Punk during that time was amazing, the problem with it though is that some people will always then complain that he's not as interesting as when he was at the freakishly high peak.
Maybe I wasn't clear, my post was more a thought on why I thought some people might turn on Punk, even though he is still consistently entertaining.

tchocky360
12-14-2011, 02:39 AM
I wonder why he doesn't count caffeine in his straight edge lifestyle... ;)

can't all be perfect :P If I was doing the work and travel he must do I'd have it mainlined through my veins lol

Robstar
12-14-2011, 02:55 AM
can't all be perfect :P If I was doing the work and travel he must do I'd have it mainlined through my veins lol

Yeah, for a while there he was getting those severe bags under his eyes. I think it was due to burning the candle at BETH ends! ;) lmao!!!

Cabers
12-14-2011, 03:48 AM
I think it could be very beneficial for them to mention it more after all these guys are role models for the younger fans.

tchocky360
12-14-2011, 06:51 AM
Yeah, for a while there he was getting those severe bags under his eyes. I think it was due to burning the candle at BETH ends! ;) lmao!!!

^ If it were me I'd let them develop until they became facial cup holders, and I could put a can of Pepsi under each eye. That Punk is one lucky guy.