PDA

View Full Version : Just a Suggestion

hankamania83
12-11-2011, 04:50 PM
I have a suggestion, and remember I am a nobody so its just a suggestion and not a demand. I had an idea that I thought would be cool. Sometimes I read a thread, or a post or see a sig, or a picture that I enjoy, but don't have the words for a comment- So I was thinking it would be cool to add a 'like' button just like on Face Book.

At the bottom of each Post there should be an option to 'like' or even 'dislike'..... I just think it would be cool. Or am I retarded?? haha

Kashdinero
12-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Nah... You're just being lazy. :)

All jokes aside, this isn't the first time someone has suggested the like/dislike thing.. Hey, maybe it'll be a part of the new site that's on it's way.

SilverGhost
12-11-2011, 04:59 PM
A like/dislike thing? I kinda disagree with that...:( It's just me though.

Broc
12-11-2011, 05:00 PM
A like/dislike thing? I kinda disagree with that...:( It's just me though.

well you see, if it was there you could dislike this thread, then everyone wins

RomanFlare
12-11-2011, 05:02 PM
First facebook, then reddit--EWNCW doesn't need attention whores able to quantify their audience D:

SLEEPY LOCO1
12-11-2011, 05:02 PM
well you see, if it was there you could dislike this thread, then everyone wins

I dislike everybody winning. The world needs losers.:p

NightWolf
12-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Screw the "dislike" button. We would lose so many members if that was put into play. I do not want to make a good post and then it gets drowned with dislikes from trolls. It would kill my willingness to be here in all honesty. So stfu about a dislike button.

Frank
12-11-2011, 05:53 PM
I'll work on that :)

Sully
12-11-2011, 05:59 PM
I'll work on that :)

Really? Awesome, that'd be fantastic Frank. It'd be a great edition to the forums, especially because a lot of people seem to be pushing for it.

Tommy Thunder
12-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Either have the same system as facebook have, where you can only 'like' a post (since some people might become butthurt with people disliking their posts), r the same system as youtube has, where you can like and dislike.

SilverGhost
12-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Screw the "dislike" button. We would lose so many members if that was put into play. I do not want to make a good post and then it gets drowned with dislikes from trolls. It would kill my willingness to be here in all honesty. So stfu about a dislike button.

Either have the same system as facebook have, where you can only 'like' a post (since some people might become butthurt with people disliking their posts), r the same system as youtube has, where you can like and dislike.

This is why I disagree with that system. People will be butthurt about it.

Robstar
12-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Um.....pretty sure we already have a system like that in place. It's called Reply With Quote and then you get to agree or disagree with the post using words. Fancy that.

I think it's unnecessary. I feel it would eventually degenerate into a popularity contest. Also, it could serve to discourage people honestly critiquing a post if they saw it was liked by so many and on the other hand, bandwagon jumpers who see a lot of dislikes could turn into a frenzied mob of villagers with pitchforks and torches :p

Robstar
12-11-2011, 06:26 PM

Can you please stop using this expression? It's extremely disrespectful and abbreviating it doesn't make it any less so.

Tommy Thunder
12-11-2011, 06:29 PM

That's why I'd vote against it too.

Can you please stop using this expression? It's extremely disrespectful and abbreviating it doesn't make it any less so.

I'm glad you said that. I was about to comment on the offensiveness of the remark.

Androo
12-11-2011, 06:45 PM
First facebook, then reddit--EWNCW doesn't need attention whores able to quantify their audience D:

True dat. People must desperately believe there posts are magnificent, and need some self gratifying ego boosts; which will only make them confect that it warrants themselves some sort of peremptory decree over the forum.

Nah.

Tommy Thunder
12-11-2011, 06:49 PM

Neither does JBW.

SilverGhost
12-11-2011, 07:23 PM
True dat. People must desperately believe there posts are magnificent, and need some self gratifying ego boosts; which will only make them confect that it warrants themselves some sort of peremptory decree over the forum.

Nah.

Basically this. I don't want any ego-maniacs here.

Dr. Death
12-11-2011, 07:30 PM
The like and dislike suggestion/buttons have pros and cons associated with it. Such matters should be weighed by the Ben Franklin method of decision making. List pros on one side and cons on the other, then see which side has more on the list thus making the decision for you. Like this:

Pros for like/dislike tab:

1. Makes it easy for those who don't know what to say.
2. Would make it so you can rate the topic, not individual comments.
3. Could in time let the administrator, (Frank), know which topics are popular.

Cons for like/dislike tab:

1. Promotes laziness.
2. Adds unnecessary clutter
3. Clicking on a like/dislike tab adds nothing to the discussion of the topic at hand.
4. Sensitive people will get their feelings either hurt, or let it go to their head.
5. Would in effect turn the site into a popularity contest.

There are legitimate uses for a "like" or “dislike” button, but putting them on every page is unnecessary — and it’s asking for trouble. If you’re concerned enough to want to stay in the loop, you should be concerned enough to post. There is a huge opportunity for cyber-bullying by simply clicking the dislike tab on every members post/thread a person doesn't like, thus making people butt-hurt and afraid to post anymore. Clearly the cons outweigh the pros. This is of course just a sample, and should not be considered as the only pros or cons of the topic.

AreYaSerious
12-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Basically this. I don't want any ego-maniacs here.

Well we already have some! lmao

SilverGhost
12-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Well we already have some! lmao

Well....anymore than we have now lol

hankamania83
12-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I agree, I kinda thought in the back of my head that it could stop some people from posting their thoughts, but in the instances it would be nice to have a 'like' button - like when some one makes a good point, on a topic you have already said your peace on, or pictures people post,......... I don't know, I guess everyone on here makes a good point. After all this part of the site is used for DISCUSSION, and just 'liking' without explanation, is laziness. After reading all the above post, I can see the 'dislike' button is a horrid idea.

Robstar
12-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I have to agree with you SG, its nothing more than a recipe for disaster

Sully
12-11-2011, 09:20 PM

Then let them be butthurt. What's the worse that could happen? They leave? I think that's the best that can happen, if someone is really dense enough to get butthurt about a few dislikes on their posts, then they're not worth having here on eWN.

Um.....pretty sure we already have a system like that in place. It's called Reply With Quote and then you get to agree or disagree with the post using words. Fancy that.

I think it's unnecessary. I feel it would eventually degenerate into a popularity contest. Also, it could serve to discourage people honestly critiquing a post if they saw it was liked by so many and on the other hand, bandwagon jumpers who see a lot of dislikes could turn into a frenzied mob of villagers with pitchforks and torches :p

I actually think you've changed my mind. Take the site Funnyjunk for example, they have a thumbing system...and that's all people ever care about. All they do is make things so they can get imaginary thumbs, and they're not even serving the full purpose of the site, which is to provide funny material.

Maybe we should just test it out? If it turns out bad, then Frank can get rid of it.

Tommy Thunder
12-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Then let them be butthurt. What's the worse that could happen? They leave? I think that's the best that can happen, if someone is really dense enough to get butthurt about a few dislikes on their posts, then they're not worth having here on eWN.

We're trying to increase our membership here, not decrease it.

Sully
12-11-2011, 09:31 PM
We're trying to increase our membership here, not decrease it.

Quality of quantity my friend. What's the point of increasing members, if those members are going to get angry all the time? If they're going to get butthurt over that, they're going to get mad over something else too. It's unavoidable either way, people are just like that.

I'd rather have the amount of people we have now, who tend to stay calm and respectful over things, rather then have a large group of people who are constantly causing disruptions.

Tommy Thunder
12-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Quality of quantity my friend. What's the point of increasing members, if those members are going to get angry all the time? If they're going to get butthurt over that, they're going to get mad over something else too. It's unavoidable either way, people are just like that.

I'd rather have the amount of people we have now, who tend to stay calm and respectful over things, rather then have a large group of people who are constantly causing disruptions.

Which is why having this like/dislike thing is a bad idea. People who get posts 'liked' will develop an ego and become assholes. People will use the 'dislike' button just to troll and bully other members.
It's not a healthy idea.

VanHooliganX
12-11-2011, 11:28 PM
How about just a Like(and no dislike button) feature then like Facebook. Its probably why FB doesn't have the thumbs down 1 tbh.

Sully
12-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Which is why having this like/dislike thing is a bad idea. People who get posts 'liked' will develop an ego and become assholes. People will use the 'dislike' button just to troll and bully other members.
It's not a healthy idea.

Could people really develop an ego, just because their fucking post was liked? Isn't the internet a wonderful place?

Kashdinero
12-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Ego's are healthy.

Dr. Death
12-12-2011, 07:17 AM
If in the right hands, if in the wrong hands...... catastrophic.

Kashdinero
12-12-2011, 07:37 AM
If in the right hands, if in the wrong hands...... catastrophic.

True dat.

This place has created more than it's fair share of monsters.

A like/dislike feature would certainly inflate/deflate a few egos, but either way, it'd be interesting to see.

Saying that...

Here's my take on the like/dislike thing.

I'm not really a fan of it. As interesting as it would be to see, to have someone have the power to disparage somebodies post -that they have taken time to create- with a single press of a mouse button is a bit of a liberty to say the least.

If your gonna disagree with me, then step up and post something... Don't just give me a thumbs down like you're some kind of Internet Caesar!

Rated_R(ob)KO
12-12-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm not against it in the least. We can already vote if an entire thread is good or not by giving it a star system, why not rate the replies as well? Take away the star system in all honesty. I'd be happier with a "Dislike/Thumbs down" than receiving 1 or no stars.

Dr. Death
12-12-2011, 07:59 AM
I agree. I mean if a person is taking the time to actually read what the topic is about and the different opinions in the discussion of said topic, then they should at least post their opinions whether they agree or disagree and why. It doesn't take all that long, and it contributes to the discussion. Nothing ever gets settled with purely a thumbs up or down, that's pure laziness and we have an overabundance of that already. We definitely don't need anymore internet Czars here.

Dr. Death
12-12-2011, 08:03 AM
I'm not against it in the least. We can already vote if an entire thread is good or not by giving it a star system, why not rate the replies as well? Take away the star system in all honesty. I'd be happier with a "Dislike/Thumbs down" than receiving 1 or no stars.

I haven't really paid all that much attention to the star rating system. It's more like saying "Look here, this thread is popular". It doesn't necessarily mean that the particular thread is intellectually stimulating.

Wade Barrett 1979
12-12-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm not really fussed either way but I do think 'like' and 'dislike' buttons, are the preserve of the lazy or the intellectually stunted!! I'd even prefer someone to just spam a video on there, at least it takes more than 1 click!!! (covering my own ass there! :D)

Sully
12-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Ego's are healthy.

Like that Dave Sullivan fella, he has an ego for sure.