PDA

View Full Version : Why Doesn't Mason Ryan Speak English?

K2Jelly
12-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Mason Ryan has the looks of a top star but doesn't mean anything if he doesn't speak English. However, unlike Sin Cara, who fits the bill of my previous sentence, he can actually speak English.

Any theories on why he doesn't?

The Brown One
12-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Maybe he just doesn't speak english. I think Tommy Thunder explained why a while back.

CGBigMan
12-10-2011, 09:28 AM
leas time he did
we had no idea what he said

K2Jelly
12-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Maybe he just doesn't speak english. I think Tommy Thunder explained why a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7LQHa9lGUc

tchocky360
12-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Everyone from Wales speaks English, either WWE doesn't think he's good on the mic yet, or they think his accent is too strong would be my guess.

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Mason Ryan has the looks of a top star but doesn't mean anything if he doesn't speak English. However, unlike Sin Cara, who fits the bill of my previous sentence, he can actually speak English.

wtf? lol, He's Welsh, hes bilingual in both english and welsh. He speaks Welsh with his family and friends but hes fluent in english aswell... theres a few interviews with him talking english.

K2Jelly
12-10-2011, 09:42 AM
wtf? lol, He's Welsh, hes bilingual in both english and welsh. He speaks Welsh with his family and friends but hes fluent in english aswell... theres a few interviews with him talking english.

I KNOW he can speak English as I indicated by my OP.

I was questioning why he doesn't do so on TV. It would help him get over somewhat.

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 09:43 AM
I KNOW he can speak English as I indicated by my OP.

I was questioning why he doesn't do so on TV. It would help him get over somewhat.

He's never given mic time.

K2Jelly
12-10-2011, 09:44 AM

He had time while he was in the New Nexus.

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 09:45 AM
He had time while he was in the New Nexus.

not really, he was never given the chance.

Wade Barrett 1979
12-10-2011, 09:46 AM
His English sounds fine here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tezFuuWw84&feature=youtube_gdata_player

K2Jelly
12-10-2011, 09:47 AM
His English sounds fine here:

Wow. His he that forgettable?

Dr. Death
12-10-2011, 09:49 AM
not really, he was never given the chance.

There's a reason for that. It's called he sucks.

Bennyladd1

I think your clearly trolling, stating he doesnt speak english and just hating on the guy.

Lowki
HE spoke both english and welsh during the Nexus phase. He said several things in welsh then would repeat in english. I don't see your point here :S lol He also said something along the lines of "CM punk will not be eliminated".

No, he's not "THAT" forgettable..think it's just hating for the point of hating. Ever thought he might actually be normal and not be USED to speaking on a mic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_CeSqe0b_M&feature=related

Youtube the guy he definitely speaks pretty good english. WWE/Mason just obviously aren't that comfortable with a lot of mic time right now. Why not hate on Big Zeke or evan bourne.. how often do they use a microphone..?

Dr. Death
12-10-2011, 09:50 AM
http://th1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb448/kefalonetis/Animations%20%20-%20Funny/th_59d8b1a8.gif

Tommy Thunder
12-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Everyone from Wales speaks English, either WWE doesn't think he's good on the mic yet, or they think his accent is too strong would be my guess.

^^^This.^^^
The North Wales accent is very strong, and believe me, it doesn't come much Northern than Barri! I'm guessing that his accent is still too strong for him to cut a promo. He actually stated in an interview before he went out to the states that his accent would be a problem.

This is also part of the problem. He's simply not been booked to talked on the mic. He had some mic time with Nexus (where he spoke Welsh), and he's cut a one sentence promo since is face turn, but that aside, nothing. That;s not his fault, since he doesn't book himself does he lol!

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 09:51 AM
There's a reason for that. It's called he sucks.

Well most of the roster does not get mic time, up to you wether you think he sucks or not, havent heard enough of him on the mic to decide yet though imo.

Wade Barrett 1979
12-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Looks like it! :D

To be honest, I liked him in FCW, they possibly brought him up too quickly, to plug the Batista hole!! I just don't think they have confidence in him, on the mic yet!! Look how long it's taken for them to have confidence in Dolph, on the mic!! Oh and before anyone gets their nappies in a twist, I'm not comparing Ryan to Ziggler! :p

K2Jelly
12-10-2011, 09:53 AM
I think your clearly trolling, stating he doesnt speak english and just hating on the guy.

Right. That must be it. Honest mistakes are a just a myth, right? :rolleyes:

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Right. That must be it. Honest mistakes are a just a myth, right? :rolleyes:

Right..... ok then.

K2Jelly
12-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Alright, alright. Time out.

Let me try to state this in a way that I'm sure that everyone here can understand. I...MADE...A...MISTAKE. Ok? They happen. I'm not hating on ANYONE.

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Alright, alright. Time out.

Let me try to state this in a way that I'm sure that everyone here can understand. I...MADE...A...MISTAKE. Ok? They happen. I'm not hating on ANYONE.

Fair enough man, i think hes average on the mic, just needs more time.

Tommy Thunder
12-10-2011, 10:03 AM
In K2Jelly's defense, I don't think he was hating on Ryan at all. So let's lay off, ok?

Now to re-rail this thread.

^^^This.^^^
The North Wales accent is very strong, and believe me, it doesn't come much Northern than Barri! I'm guessing that his accent is still too strong for him to cut a promo. He actually stated in an interview before he went out to the states that his accent would be a problem.

This is also part of the problem. He's simply not been booked to talked on the mic. He had some mic time with Nexus (where he spoke Welsh), and he's cut a one sentence promo since is face turn, but that aside, nothing. That;s not his fault, since he doesn't book himself does he lol!

And yes. I did just quote myself.

Wade Barrett 1979
12-10-2011, 10:07 AM
And yes. I did just quote myself.

Two can play at this game, Mr.Thunder: :D

Looks like it! :D

To be honest, I liked him in FCW, they possibly brought him up too quickly, to plug the Batista hole!! I just don't think they have confidence in him, on the mic yet!! Look how long it's taken for them to have confidence in Dolph, on the mic!! Oh and before anyone gets their nappies in a twist, I'm not comparing Ryan to Ziggler! :p

Tommy Thunder
12-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Two can play at this game, Mr.Thunder: :D

Whaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?!

GIMMICK INFRINGEMENT!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Wade Barrett 1979
12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Whaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?!

GIMMICK INFRINGEMENT!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ha! Hey chief, imitation is a form a flattery!! :p No harm, no foul!

Tommy Thunder
12-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Ha! Hey chief, imitation is a form a flattery!! :p No harm, no foul!

I was only joking lol

....... but don't do it again :p

K2Jelly
12-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Alright, since we all know that he speaks English on TV, why don't they allow him to do it more often?

Wade Barrett 1979
12-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I was only joking lol

....... but don't do it again :p

Ha! I know chief! No worries, it'll only be done with the greatest respect! If I put, Tommy Thunder(TM) every time, can I use it again? :p

Tommy Thunder
12-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Alright, since we all know that he speaks English on TV, why don't they allow him to do it more often?

Dude, if you read the comments, I think you'll find all the reasons have been stated.
WWE don't feel he's ready and his accent is still too strong. Simple as that.

Tommy Thunder
12-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Ha! I know chief! No worries, it'll only be done with the greatest respect! If I put, Tommy Thunder(TM) every time, can I use it again? :p

That would be appreciated haha!

Bennyladd1

Mainly his accent i guess, is it hard for americans to understand?

K2Jelly
Dude, if you read the comments, I think you'll find all the reasons have been stated.
WWE don't feel he's ready and his accent is still too strong. Simple as that.

I'm allowing other people to state their opinions.

Wade Barrett 1979

As I say, it could be a confidence thing, for him or creative! Ziggler has only just been allowed more mic time recently and to be fair until the last couple of times, where he's come in to his own, he wasn't great on the mic!!

Wade Barrett 1979
12-10-2011, 10:28 AM
That would be appreciated haha!

Then we have an accord!! :)

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 10:28 AM
to sum it up it would say lack of opportunity. Same with many members of the roster though, unless they show exceptional skill on the mic they don't talk much.

Wade Barrett 1979
12-10-2011, 10:30 AM
to sum it up it would say lack of opportunity. Same with many members of the roster though, unless they show exceptional skill on the mic they don't talk much.

Yup, not everyone is blessed with Barrett's awesomeness, on the mic! :p

lewism173
12-10-2011, 10:48 AM

not they don't they can speak english welsh or both

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 10:53 AM

True man, he means most people here can talk english even if they do talk Welsh. For example Mason is bilingual, same as me.

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Yup, not everyone is blessed with Barrett's awesomeness, on the mic! :p

Thats true, Barrett is great on the mic.

Lowki
12-10-2011, 10:54 AM
I've already said what i believe it is.

But throw accent in there and you're close to the money i'd say. I mean, they kicked cheryl cole off US X factor because of her accent and her accent is fair easier to understand than a north walian accent! They've had Shiek cut promos for years and who can understand that guy? :P Wait and see how long he's pushed. After a while they are bound to give him more time to speak, don't worry.

Tommy Thunder
12-10-2011, 10:57 AM

What? Are you saying it's impossible for people from Wales to speak English and Welsh?

Bennyladd1
I've already said what i believe it is.

But throw accent in there and you're close to the money i'd say. I mean, they kicked cheryl cole off US X factor because of her accent and her accent is fair easier to understand than a north walian accent! They've had Shiek cut promos for years and who can understand that guy? :P Wait and see how long he's pushed. After a while they are bound to give him more time to speak, don't worry.

Yea, his accent does play a part in it and because hes new and their building him up slowly. So do Americans find Drew Mcintyres accent hard to understand then? Also Lowki, i have to say i think cheryl's accent is way harder for me to understand, geordie accent right?

The Brown One
If his accent is too strong, how does he change it? Take classes or something? Practice at home using a recorder?

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 10:58 AM
What? Are you saying it's impossible for people from Wales to speak English and Welsh?

No, i think he means we either speak just english, just welsh or we're bilingual.

Lowki
12-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Yeah, but there aren't many monoglot welsh speakers in wales. There are many fluent welsh speakers that only speak basic english though, but these people are more rural and only in small populations. The highest percentage of speakers is in the North Westerly regions.

Yea, his accent does play a part in it and because hes new and their building him up slowly. So do Americans find Drew Mcintyres accent hard to understand then? Also Lowki, i have to say i think cheryl's accent is way harder for me to understand, geordie accent right?
I would have no idea, i'm Welsh lol. Yeah, she is a geordie but she's pretty easy to understand. She's had years of vocal coaching that has lessened the accent. Plus, she spends a lot of time in the US too.

To whoever was asking about getting rid of accents; they can fade over time. People's accents start to pick up accents it hears, but it takes years of work to change. Welsh accent is strong so it takes a lot to weaken it - australians have a similar problem, you never lose pronounciation i guess.

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Yeah, but there aren't many monoglot welsh speakers in wales. There are many fluent welsh speakers that only speak basic english though, but these people are more rural and only in small populations. The highest percentage of speakers is in the North Westerly regions.

True, especially where Mason's from, very high percentage of fluent Welsh speakers. afterall he's from Gwynedd the heartland of Wales.

Lowki
12-10-2011, 11:04 AM
True, especially where Mason's from, very high percentage of fluent Welsh speakers. afterall he's from Gwynedd the heartland of Wales.
I disagree, i'm southern :P

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I disagree, i'm southern :P

hehe im from Ceredigion.

Tommy Thunder
12-10-2011, 11:06 AM
No, i think he means we either speak just english, just welsh or we're bilingual.

Well in that case, he's not far off the money. I don't use English much. Most of my friends are Welsh, so I speak Welsh with them. I went to a Welsh school, and University, and did all my subjects through Welsh.
With Barri, he's from a very 'Welsh' part of the country, where he wouldn't have used English much. And the North Wales accent is very strong and hard to shed, so it's understandable why they're waiting until he's more comfortable speaking English.

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Well in that case, he's not far off the money. I don't use English much. Most of my friends are Welsh, so I speak Welsh with them. I went to a Welsh school, and University, and did all my subjects through Welsh.
With Barri, he's from a very 'Welsh' part of the country, where he wouldn't have used English much. And the North Wales accent is very strong and hard to shed, so it's understandable why they're waiting until he's more comfortable speaking English.

Very true, i know what u mean man, i know many people who talk Welsh better than english, personally i speak both fluently and often.

Tommy Thunder
12-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Very true, i know what u mean man, i know many people who talk Welsh better than english, personally i speak both fluently and often.

I'm also fluent in both, and use both often, but it's just that I use Welsh a LOT more than English. And I'd also consider Welsh my first language.

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm also fluent in both, and use both often, but it's just that I use Welsh a LOT more than English. And I'd also consider Welsh my first language.

yeah i know man, its my first language aswell, my primary school didnt teach english until year 5 literally ( so age 10?)

cymru96123
12-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Not everyone can speak English. I had a Religious Studies teacher that didn't speak English a while back.

But yeah, Mason can speak English but his accent can be hard to understand

Bennyladd1
12-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Not everyone can speak English. I had a Religious Studies teacher that didn't speak English a while back.

But yeah, Mason can speak English but his accent can be hard to understand

true man his accent is strong

Danny92
12-10-2011, 01:03 PM
I don't want to say it in a bad way but like big zeke, because of the actual accent some of the intensity is lost on the 'powerhouse' image they have but obviously they can work on this

Y2Jryder
12-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Mason Ryan sucks

thatdevilsblue
12-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Mason Ryan actually does speak english, and pretty clear too...when he had his mini feud with Dolph Ziggler last month, he spoke english to him on the mic a few times!

TNA 'The very best'
12-10-2011, 04:44 PM

My dad is from Anglesey and lost his accent within about 5 years from what I've been told, he's lived in England 25 years and you wouldn't know he is welsh.

Tommy Thunder
12-10-2011, 04:52 PM
My dad is from Anglesey and lost his accent within about 5 years from what I've been told, he's lived in England 25 years and you wouldn't know he is welsh.

You talking about your dad or Ryan there?

TNA 'The very best'
12-10-2011, 04:55 PM
You talking about your dad or Ryan there?

My dad, im only 23 so cant really remember his accent when i was 2, but ive been told he lost it when pretty quick, Ryan is only about 25 himself isn't he???

Y2Jryder
12-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Mason Ryan actually does speak english, and pretty clear too...when he had his mini feud with Dolph Ziggler last month, he spoke english to him on the mic a few times!

Did you dream he spoke on the mic or what??

Wade Barrett 1979
12-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Did you dream he spoke on the mic or what??

Don't think so:

Y2Jryder
12-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Don't think so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tezFuuWw84&feature=youtube_gdata_player That's just one time, it was a really nice promo

Wade Barrett 1979
12-11-2011, 01:06 PM
That's just one time, it was a really nice promo

Ha! Very true! :D Still not a dream though! :p

Dashing Rachel
12-11-2011, 03:48 PM

Mason Ryan does in fact speak English since it's one of two languages of Wales (Welsh is the other). But he doesn't talk cut promos as much.

Tommy Thunder
12-11-2011, 03:52 PM
My dad, im only 23 so cant really remember his accent when i was 2, but ive been told he lost it when pretty quick, Ryan is only about 25 himself isn't he???

29 at the moment.
Once he's more comfortable speaking in English, and WWE are happy with him, he'll be allowed the chance on the mic.

LoGik
12-12-2011, 01:41 PM
huh. I didn't notice him speaking anything other than english when he spoke.