PDA

View Full Version : Brand rivalry...?

chibo777
10-16-2010, 03:25 PM
What are people opinions on the raw vs smackdown PPV and the brand exclusivity..

i really think its hurting the wwe... if there was one roster then they would have a deeper pool of wrestlers, therefore allowing more creative storylines and better less repetative feuds between the same stars...

i like the days when both rosters are joined.. we get better matches with wrestlers we barely see fighting each other...

it would also allow more competition for belts... i cannot think who ive seen fight for the intercontinetal belt.. other than dolph ziggler and kofi kingston.... its boring... wasnt there 3 title matches in 3 weeks between the same couple.. RUBBISH!!

in a way too it would make stars step up a bit to be lost in the lower card order and it would force the talent they have to grow......

i think in the long run it would be a good thing ...

Drkneo
10-16-2010, 04:32 PM
It used to be great years ago when the top stars would appear on both shows all the time, however with increased ring time there is a greater chance of the talent developing nagging injuries. Plus with the large amount of title belts, if the brands were to merge, the lower and mid-card wrestlers would get lost in the shuffle and the shows would just be dominated by super cena, triple h and possibly orton which would get old very, very quickly!

cetotheizzo
10-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I think that’s why they split them up to get more wrestlers some air time, but now the same thing is happening even with the split so maybe its time to put them all together again to see what happens.

johnadah
10-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I disagree with the notion that we would see better story lines if the shows were comingled. At least, I believe we would not see more story lines and all of the talent being used. With a smaller roster to focus on, it should be (emphasis on should be) easier for them to generate a story line for each member of the roster. But, as WWE has proven in the past, they tend to drop the ball. Remember when Triple H personally requested to bring Jack Swagger and Evan Bourne to Raw? Swagger got a World Championship out of it, but Bourne got lost in the shuffle. Bourne! One of the most athletically gifter talents they had available, who was called over because of Triple-freakin'-H, and even with the boss's son-in-law backing him, he got lost in the shuffle. Now, I'm not saying they failed to ever do anything with Bourne again after that. In fact, his run with Chris Jericho was great. But imagine how buried he would have ended up if he had a roster double the size in front of him.

Robstar
10-16-2010, 11:45 PM
I'd like to see it. All it takes is some creative writing. To suggest that all the top guys would be on every show all the time is ludicrous. It would encourage the development of mid-lower card feuds and character development. Remember when The Rock, Owen Hart, Triple H, Davey Boy Smith, Jake Roberts were all mid card talent that you wanted to see? And they definetly were. Even lower carders like 2 Cool and Kai En Tai were entertaining enough to tune in to, IMO.

cetotheizzo
10-17-2010, 01:53 AM
It might cut into the wrestling time if everyone is together, not that there is a huge amount of wrestling now, but with everyone in one place, every person would need to have there own story, and it takes time to set up a story.

Drkneo
10-17-2010, 04:13 AM
It also doesn't help when creative can't seem to come up with fresh and original ideas

Splattered-Dreams
10-17-2010, 10:06 AM
I've been wanting this to happen ever since it got split.. I always thought the idea sucked, I'm suprised it's gone on for this long. Agreed with the original poster, the belts would have prestige. I remember seeing all kinds of matches for titles, sometimes between guys who haven't wrestled eachother before.
I hope the US/IC titles are unified because that might signal the beginning of a joint roster again..

AndyWonder
10-17-2010, 12:11 PM
I would have been ok with the brand separation IF other championships were not added. I think when only the champions appeared on both shows, it worked fine. Credibility to the championships for being shown on both shows. Having ONLY THE ORIGINAL CHAMPIONS (WWE, Intercontinental, Tag Team, Women's, Cruiserweight) appear on both shows (perhaps even keep European title?) could have still worked out easily still instead of creating new titles (World Heavyweight, WWE tag, United States). There will still be separate rosters and they would not have to overexpose title holders on just one show. I remember John Cena used to be seen on RAW's cameras 3 separate times during a 2-hour show. One appearance on each show per week for a champ would not have been so horrible. And so many people complain how titles have lost credibility. A bit more credibility to the belts if they were allowed on both shows since they could go everywhere.
Brand exclusion? It's not exclusive anymore. It was excellent when it started out exclusive except for champions. When SMACKDOWN guy Chris Benoit showed up on RAW right after winning Royal Rumble, it was awesome because he had not been inside those red ropes for over a year and a half. It was almost like a fresh roster member. Vince allows a bunch of guest appearances of SMACKDOWN guys onto RAW while not so many of RAW guys onto SMACKDOWN. The draft is pointless now and should not be held every year.
Bragging Rights PPV - RAW vs. SMACKDOWN for a huge metal trophy. I know Chris Jericho carried the thing around for a couple weeks think the fans stopped caring about the trophy in almost no time so it is almost not necessary to have these match ups. Remember Survivor Series 2005 team RAW vs. team SMACKDOWN traditional survivor series match? I think SMACKDOWN stopped celebrating its victory just weeks after the event.

Drkneo
10-17-2010, 01:45 PM
I would just like to point out that the cruiserweight is not an original wwe belt, that came from nwa/wcw. wwes version was the light heavyweight belt

AndyWonder
10-17-2010, 05:22 PM
That's right it was. Cruiserweight was just a preferred name because "light heavyweight" supposedly was a "demeaning" term to the smaller guys.
I would just like to point out that the cruiserweight is not an original wwe belt, that came from nwa/wcw. wwes version was the light heavyweight belt

Drkneo
10-17-2010, 05:43 PM
I still think that if the brands merged that the shows would be dominated by the upper card storylines, we have witnessed that with the whole super cena/nexus and michael cole being heel on every show, to name just a couple

IrkenInvader
10-17-2010, 06:18 PM
I still think that if the brands merged that the shows would be dominated by the upper card storylines, we have witnessed that with the whole super cena/nexus and michael cole being heel on every show, to name just a couple

The shows are already dominated by the top story. They have recaps for them every other commercial break. Its like they think we have brain damage and we keep forgetting.

Drkneo
10-17-2010, 07:28 PM
The shows are already dominated by the top story. They have recaps for them every other commercial break. Its like they think we have brain damage and we keep forgetting.

Maybe they hope that by telling us what just happened 5mins ago 15 different ways, we will be brainwashed into enjoying their increasingly drab storylines and characters