PDA

View Full Version : No "kotr"!!!!!

WBJ
12-01-2011, 03:02 AM
"King of the Ring" is a big deal for fans....It's a wrestlers way to stepping up, Sheamus isn't worried about "Intercontinental" or "U.S" Titles right now cause he won "King of the Ring"....Bring KOTR Back every year and wrestlers like Cody, Ryder, Kofi, even Barrett can step there game up
THOUGHTS!!!!

THEKEVINBRAND
12-01-2011, 03:07 AM
KOTR is every two years if im not mistaken, but that gimmick is useless now

WBJ
12-01-2011, 03:16 AM

Imagin Codes, Kofi, Miz, Ziggler, Swagger, Santino, Swaggle, even Barrett...Winning one KOTR once a year, They become above the "Intercontinental" or "U.S" Belt and now they only fight for the WWE or WHC Belt!!!

Dameduse823
12-01-2011, 03:17 AM

It wouldn't be useless if they didn't bring it back whenever they just needed a storyline. Years ago it was a serious event and it was something a lot of people looked forward to

THEKEVINBRAND
12-01-2011, 03:17 AM
Imagin Codes, Kofi, Miz, Ziggler, Swagger, Santino, Swaggle, even Barrett...Winning one KOTR once a year, They become above the "Intercontinental" or "U.S" Belt and now they only fight for the WWE or WHC Belt!!!

try convincing old man mcmahon and you got something! but let's be realistic

WBJ
12-01-2011, 03:24 AM
Put a wrestler over... You let them win "KOTR"...Just like ROH "Survivor of the Fittest" Event!!!!

THEKEVINBRAND
12-01-2011, 03:25 AM
Put a wrestler over... You let them win "KOTR"...Just like ROH "Survivor of the Fittest" Event!!!!

look at some of the wrestlers with potential who are jobbers now

Necroyeti
12-01-2011, 03:26 AM
King of the Ring is a vastly overrated tournament anyway. They've played that whole thing out to death, and the PPVs were always mad shitty. I'm honestly surprised people still care about it.

I'm more annoyed we haven't had an old school Raw again, that shit worked fantastically last year.

WBJ
12-01-2011, 03:30 AM
look at some of the wrestlers with potential who are jobbers now

All the wrestlers I said have potential, but every year have KOTR and now u have potential jobbers, set for WWE or WHC... Just looking towards the future for those belts, instead of nobody knows who might step there game up...KOTR set it up for "Wrestlemania"

Subject Zero
12-01-2011, 05:20 AM
The King of the Ring has been meaningless for years all its used for is to give someone a new gimmick and in all honesty everyones gimmicks are pretty great right now so it isnt really needed

steveorton
12-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Yes KOTR can build stars. I would bring it back and have Drew Mctyre win it. Push the restart button on his wrestling career.

captainmoonlight
12-01-2011, 06:43 AM
kotr is usually Crap because like most tournaments they just pick 4 and put them into semi finals.

they should just have a ppv called "king of the ring" and have a big tournament. make it a 4hr bonanza. winner gets a title shot a summerslam

Y2Jryder
12-01-2011, 08:11 AM
last year kotr was used to mock sheamus, why should you want it back?

The Hit Man
12-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I had said in another thread that they should scrap the MITB PPV and replace it with the KOTR PPV. Have qualifying matches on Raw and Smackdown then the quarter finals or semi finals can be on the PPV itself. I thnk if you had 16 people in the tournement and a PPV specifically for the later matches then it would help bring back some prestige to the concept. Also rater than the winner going around wearing a crown or robe, they would receive a World Title match at Summerslam.

clrj3514
12-01-2011, 09:25 AM
I was hoping they were going to bring it back more seriously with the DVD coming out.

THEKEVINBRAND
12-01-2011, 09:48 AM
I still never understood why Regal ever won KOTR when he never became World Champion out of it

The Hit Man
12-01-2011, 09:56 AM
I still never understood why Regal ever won KOTR when he never became World Champion out of it

I read somewhere that he was suppose to get a shot at the title but he had big drinking problems back then and that's why he was removed from televison shortly after he won KOTR. Don't know how much of that is true though.

THEKEVINBRAND
12-01-2011, 09:57 AM
I read somewhere that he was suppose to get a shot at the title but he had big drinking problems back then and that's why he was removed from televison shortly after he won KOTR. Don't know how much of that is true though.

pretty stupid that they hadn't figured it out before

aloisick
12-01-2011, 10:03 AM

i know it wont happen but i want regal back he could elavate the smackdown brand

The Hit Man
12-01-2011, 10:10 AM

Maybe they tried to help him with his drinking problems while he won the KOTR but it was getting worse and it go to the extent where he couldn't be on television. I remember on an episode of NXT, Jack Korpela mentioned that Regal was a former KOTR winner then Regal kinda jokingly said lets not go there or something like that. All speculation I guess.

Lowki
12-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Didn't Regal get suspended during that KOTR push? I don't think it was just drink that he had issues with...

Wiki: A few weeks later Regal lost a Loser Gets Fired match to Mr. Kennedy, after which, Regal was kayfabe forced to leave WWE. In reality, Regal was suspended on May 20, 2008, for sixty days for his second violation of the company’s Substance Abuse and Drug Testing Policy.
http://corporate.wwe.com/news/2008/2008_05_20.jsp

People love KOTR because of Austin imo.

TheLegendaryIcon
12-01-2011, 10:53 AM
The Classic Raw gimmick is somewhat interesting to watch and they should definitely do it again, but for the love of god go with the version of the logo from the current IC belt.

Some would argue that KOTR needs to be done like they originally did it in order to be done correctly. The thing these people don't consider is seeing somebody in 3 matches in a single night. I'm not sure this would be an appropriate route as it negates a diva's match in the PPV and cuts the length of any given match to about the length of Jeff Hardy v. Sting. It would be better to do the tournament with like 30+ guys leading up to the PPV. (Present the brackets to the audience and all that jazz.) Simply selecting people for semi-finals and putting them in a match IS extremely lame. -- But then, WWE is afraid to build a longterm storyline around anyone that hasn't been there for at least 5 years.

wrestlingfan66513
12-01-2011, 12:18 PM
King of the Ring is a vastly overrated tournament anyway. They've played that whole thing out to death, and the PPVs were always mad shitty. I'm honestly surprised people still care about it.

I'm more annoyed we haven't had an old school Raw again, that shit worked fantastically last year.

Remember back in the 90's when HHH won it in a great match with Mick Foley and it lead to an even better feud.

captainmoonlight
12-01-2011, 12:45 PM
16 people in the tournament

8 matches in first round with 10 min time limit.

2/3 draws/timeouts/no contest etc

5 through to next round so a bye or two

a champion v champion showcase

plus the final.

a couple of run ins and your using a heavy amount of the roster

Reloval
12-01-2011, 02:22 PM
My two biggest KOTR memories:

-When Austin won and the Austin 3:16 started (I was there live sitting about 15 feet away from that interview).

-The Shane McMahon vs Kurt Angle match, where Kurt almost killed Shane.

Chavo
12-01-2011, 02:35 PM
With the right wrestlers in it and a good push after, I think KotR could be one of the most exciting ways to get a lesser talent some screen time