PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Euro 2012 Pots announced!

Juvenile Junkie
11-16-2011, 05:22 AM
Pot 1: Spain, Netherlands
Pot 2: Germany, Italy, England, Russia
Pot 3: Croatia, Greece, Portugal, Sweden
Pot 4: Denmark, France, Czech Republic, Republic of Ireland

Group of Death Possibility: Spain,Germany,Portugal and France.

Possibly tasty ties: Poland vs Germany(war history), Italy vs Ireland(Don Giovanni), Portugal vs England,Germany vs Spain.France vs Italy,Czechs vs Germans.And even Italy being paired with their 'old mates' Denmark and Sweden who conspired that 2-2 draw at euro 2004.Ireland vs England(battle of Britain and Don Giovanni vs Don Fabio)

Pity Ireland and France can't play each other.

Only 1 Yugoslav Nation made it,only 2 Home Nations,hopefully that changes with 24 teams at euro2016.

Knowing my luck,Greece will end up with Spain,Germany and France,f$*# it.

TheBeardOfZeus
11-16-2011, 05:30 AM
It's roughly how I thought the pots would lie, but I thought France would be in pot 2, Denmark in pot 3 and Sweden and Greece dropped to pot 4.

That's only on recent qualifying and world rankings, because Denmark are ranked 10th and are in pot 4? A little odd on how these have been organised.

Tomsta666
11-16-2011, 05:41 AM
When is the draw?

CGBigMan
11-16-2011, 05:43 AM
very interesting indeed

VanHooliganX
11-16-2011, 07:40 AM
When is the draw?

Sometime in December I believe.

1 thing is certain. No-one has an easy group.

Wade Barrett 1979
11-16-2011, 03:55 PM
France in pot 4?!?! How the mighty have fallen!

Pumpkinhead
11-16-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm sure no one wants to be paired with France, could be a tricky draw, gotta admit I would love to see England and Ireland in the same group

Wade Barrett 1979
11-16-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm sure no one wants to be paired with France, could be a tricky draw, gotta admit I would love to see England and Ireland in the same group

That would be interesting! Wouldn't surprise me if England drew France!!

THE HEARTBREAK KID
11-16-2011, 04:40 PM
should be good.. world cup was a little bit dissapointing i found, so hopefully this is good :) dunno about the group i wish portugal would get as im just happy we got there..

spain lateley tho havent been too impressive so i do think there could be a shock winner, i personally think germany mite win it,

Lowki
11-16-2011, 04:59 PM
It's roughly how I thought the pots would lie, but I thought France would be in pot 2, Denmark in pot 3 and Sweden and Greece dropped to pot 4.

That's only on recent qualifying and world rankings, because Denmark are ranked 10th and are in pot 4? A little odd on how these have been organised.
It goes by a mixture of rankings, qualifying and results in recent tournaments. This draw isn't surprising at all if you take those into account.

TheBeardOfZeus
11-16-2011, 05:25 PM
It goes by a mixture of rankings, qualifying and results in recent tournaments. This draw isn't surprising at all if you take those into account.

It doesn't really, when Portugal had to go through qualifiers, and Denmark managed to knock them into that situation, and are 10th in FIFA rankings.

And if it goes on recent tournaments, how are Greece so far up? They have been appalling since Euro 2004.

VanHooliganX
11-16-2011, 07:53 PM
It doesn't really, when Portugal had to go through qualifiers, and Denmark managed to knock them into that situation, and are 10th in FIFA rankings.

And if it goes on recent tournaments, how are Greece so far up? They have been appalling since Euro 2004.

Sepp Blater.

Don't worry, everyone hates him too :)

Juvenile Junkie
11-17-2011, 06:21 AM

Qualified for Euro 2008 with the most points than any other European team and our group had 1 less team.Actually BEAT Croatia in a Euro Qualifying group!

VanHooliganX
11-17-2011, 09:15 AM

They qualified for Euro 2008 and the World Cup jsut gone. Did bloody terrible but at least they scored in the World Cup this time haha.

For England this is a group i'd like.

Poland/Ukraine
Us obviously
Sweden
France

1 of the hosts will be a challenge to beat. We've proved we can beat Sweden so why not again lol and France to provide the hard fixture in our group. Having the easiest of each pot will just fuck us up in the quarters cause whoever we get they are going to be hard.

sincara
11-17-2011, 11:01 AM
englands best hope is ...
netherlands england greese ireland

Tomsta666
11-17-2011, 11:07 AM
I'd rather England didn't get Ireland in the groups. So I can cheer on both teams! I'd like them to get France or Portugal to be honest. The French are a shadow of their past world/euro winning clout, and it would be nice to beat those bastards! ;) Portugal, we're well over due to give them twats a good caning too!!

Automatic
11-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Group of Debt: Spain, Italy, Greece, Ireland.

Wade Barrett 1979
11-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Group of Debt: Ukraine, Italy, Greece, Ireland.

Ha! Nice one! :D

VanHooliganX
11-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Group of Debt: Ukraine, Italy, Greece, Ireland.

Aren't Spain in heavy debt as well? Could have them instead of Ukraine lol

Automatic
11-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Aren't Spain in heavy debt as well? Could have them instead of Ukraine lol

Damn, put in the wrong team...
I knew I did something wrong.
To the edit button!

Juvenile Junkie
11-18-2011, 06:04 AM

Thats funny.

Lowki
11-18-2011, 01:04 PM
As was the case for the 2004 and 2008 finals, the sixteen finalists have been divided into four seeding pots, using UEFA's national team coefficient ranking.

The pot allocations were based on the UEFA national team coefficient rankings of the sixteen finalists at the end of the qualifying competition in November 2011.[2] Each nation's coefficient was generated by calculating:
40% of the average ranking points per game earned in the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying stage.
40% of the average ranking points per game earned in the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying stage and final tournament.
20% of the average ranking points per game earned in the UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying stage and final tournament.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/01/69/56/52/1695652_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Poland and Ukraine are automatically in pot 1 as hosts (Spain as defending champions). On ranking alone it should be;
Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Italy.
Russia, England, Croatia, Greece.
Portugal, sweden, denmark, france.
Czech, Republic of Ireland, Poland, Ukraine.

Like I said, it's all based on the last 3 major qualifying tournaments and Last Euro and World Cup tournaments.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_seeding

TheBeardOfZeus
11-18-2011, 01:34 PM
As was the case for the 2004 and 2008 finals, the sixteen finalists have been divided into four seeding pots, using UEFA's national team coefficient ranking.

The pot allocations were based on the UEFA national team coefficient rankings of the sixteen finalists at the end of the qualifying competition in November 2011.[2] Each nation's coefficient was generated by calculating:
40% of the average ranking points per game earned in the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying stage.
40% of the average ranking points per game earned in the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying stage and final tournament.
20% of the average ranking points per game earned in the UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying stage and final tournament.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/01/69/56/52/1695652_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Poland and Ukraine are automatically in pot 1 as hosts (Spain as defending champions). On ranking alone it should be;

Like I said, it's all based on the last 3 major qualifying tournaments and Last Euro and World Cup tournaments.

I still stand by my decision that it's still ridiculous and stupid.

Juvenile Junkie
11-19-2011, 10:21 AM

And some domestic cup competitions use that ABSURD idea of putting all the teams names into a hat and picking them.Gosh,thankfully this new system will really fix football.its a good thing we have FIFA.(all sarcasm)

Juvenile Junkie
11-19-2011, 10:27 AM
And 2016 its 24 teams.Can only imagine what magic formula will be used by then.

The colours of flag
The performance of the domestic cup winner in the Europa League
The performance at the U/13 World Cup
The degree of support to Sepp Blatter
Economic stability
Number of public holidays
place in the IRB World Rankings
highest placed representatives in:
- World cake eating competition
- World Wall Painting competition
- World air guitar championships
- International Cucumber farming series
- International Spelling bee.

bladesyGTS
11-19-2011, 02:03 PM
englands best hope is ...
netherlands england greese ireland

Netherlands we'll have no chance, there quality! Greece will be broke by Euro 2012 and have no team! and the Irish.... watch the match from the cricket world cup this year... we should have destroyed them... we didn't

bladesyGTS
11-19-2011, 02:05 PM

haha absolute quality! that's if Greece can even aford to send a team out to Eastern Europe!

Lowki
11-29-2011, 07:36 AM
And some domestic cup competitions use that ABSURD idea of putting all the teams names into a hat and picking them.Gosh,thankfully this new system will really fix football.its a good thing we have FIFA.(all sarcasm)

I still stand by my decision that it's still ridiculous and stupid.

I didn't say it was a great method, was just showing how they "select" the groups. I see what they want to do; have the best teams split up from the start. I can understand why they choose this method, but their ranking system is pretty shit so it's counter productive.

Juvenile Junkie
11-29-2011, 08:05 AM
I didn't say it was a great method, was just showing how they "select" the groups. I see what they want to do; have the best teams split up from the start. I can understand why they choose this method, but their ranking system is pretty shit so it's counter productive.

I know,anyone who actually DOES think that the method was sane is mad.I was well aware that you only provided the basis of the process.