PDA

View Full Version : SG's pondering

SilverGhost
11-06-2011, 12:21 AM
http://www.jonzee.com/wp-content/uploads/image/magicJack_20USB.jpg

This company.

I wanna know if some of you use or someone you know uses it. My mom keeps pestering me about it but I don't trust it. Like at all.

So if you have some knowledge about this that would be awesome!

Iron Ape
11-06-2011, 01:58 AM
From what I hear, the call quality is abysmal. I'm talking, like, early 90s cell phone quality. The customer service is supposed to be pretty much nonexistent, too. I've also heard that it automatically installs software on your computer that is near impossible to uninstall.

So, basically, you get what you pay for.

Robstar
11-06-2011, 02:29 AM
From what I hear, the call quality is abysmal. I'm talking, like, early 90s cell phone quality. The customer service is supposed to be pretty much nonexistent, too. I've also heard that it automatically installs software on your computer that is near impossible to uninstall.

So, basically, you get what you pay for.

Hey sounds like the internet service at my folks place! i.e. - where I most log on from. Lol, my mum uses an ISP for seniors and it's piss poor, just marginally better than dial up. The help desk is - get this - a couple of volunteers with less knowledge about computers than I have ("have you tried turning it off and on again?" I shit you not, that's what I got from them once) and there is no help desk at all on weekends. It's a damn travesty

SilverGhost
11-06-2011, 02:35 AM
It does sound like something fishy.

pauadrian
11-06-2011, 01:24 PM
i did some research for ya SG

BE AWARE OF THIS COMPANY.
I cannot speak for everyone but I had a lot of problems: cutting out, statics, making calls out and incoming calls. I tried numerous times to resolve these problems through their tech chat to no avail. When I finally tried to return it they wouldn't(in spite of their advertised guarantee) saying that it's their policy that I have the original packaging which I no longer have. If you do want to try it, make sure you save the packaging in case it doesn't work out. Good luck !

its legit..

domestic calling within the US for $20/year
you would need to prepay to make international calls at their current international rates posted on their website.

it is a USB device that needs to connect to your PC that has high speed internet...
call quality can be effected by your internet speed and quality, as well as the resources available on your PC...
some calls to rural destinations with higher termination fees were being illegally blocked by magicjack.. i have not heard if they were forced to complete those calls as of yet, but this problem has been going on for quite a while...

also some users complain that caller ID does not work but there are aftermarket devices that can be connected that will fix that

Magic Jack Scam or Not
So let's get right down to why you are here – you are wondering whether there is some sort of Magic Jack scam going on. Like any product these days, you can find people complaining about it online. It's easier to find negative reviews because people with good experiences tend to not take the extra step and promote it, the same way a pissed off (justified or not) customer might.

So, let's take a closer look… What is Magic Jack? The MagicJack device is pretty simple really – you connect it to your computer/laptop's USB port and uses your internet connection to make phone calls. The other end connects to your phone, which allows your normal phone to connect using voice over IP technology (VOIP).

With Magic Jack you can make unlimited free calls within the USA and Canada. Magic Jack only costs $39.95 for the entire first year! It drops to $19.95/year after that. That price includes the hook-up device and a phone number. They offer a 30-day free trial to make sure you like the service. Magic Jack works with almost all computers and operating systems. If you have any questions, they have a large FAQ section on their website (link below).

The Major Complaints For the most part, people complain that the customer service is bad. I can see that, as they are more focused on providing super inexpensive product/service than charging more and providing a better support staff. If you are absolutely terrible with computers, you may get frustrated, but it's pretty straightforward and they do have set-up instructions. From what I gather, if you have a really slow internet connection with your ISP, then you might experience some spotty calls because it uses your internet connection to send and receive calls. For most people these days, it shouldn't be an issue.

Conclusion Magic Jack scam? NO. It's a legit product that works as it's supposed to. If you are okay with saving a LOT of money on your phone bills, then you should definitely give it a risk free 30-day trial.

Asherdelampyr
11-06-2011, 01:43 PM
http://www.jonzee.com/wp-content/uploads/image/magicJack_20USB.jpg

This company.

I wanna know if some of you use or someone you know uses it. My mom keeps pestering me about it but I don't trust it. Like at all.

So if you have some knowledge about this that would be awesome!

it's essentially the cheapest VOIP tech that you can get, which makes it marginally better than yelling through a megaphone.

When I was working for Comcast, we would get customers getting our phone service all the time, complaining about how horrible magicjack was (and Comcast's is overpriced and underwhelming)

Basically their only selling point is the price, that and it is harder to uninstall than the old-school AOL.

You can get the same quality, and the same program for free on your computer with a headset.

IrkenInvader
11-06-2011, 05:14 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqi-0YXHUEfPpQoIyI5igBQzaq10jXf9tGWv8u4zhY2hQUXaGtVgox OPdc