PDA

View Full Version : Should I or Shouldn't I

JamFran
11-02-2011, 09:08 PM
I have been looking through a few of these threads where posters are booking fantasy cards and shows, and I have been finding the idea of this rather intriguing. I am looking for a way to continue working on my writing after I graduate college in a month and this looks like an interesting way to do it. I just have a few questions before I commit to doing my own "Be the Booker" thread.

How often should I post if I do this?
How many people actually read these? And if you do would offer me a review?
Do pictures/videos add to these or take away?
How many matches/promos go into a typical show and PPV?
Should I type everything that goes on in a match or should I use more summaries?

broc808
11-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I have been looking through a few of these threads where posters are booking fantasy cards and shows, and I have been finding the idea of this rather intriguing. I am looking for a way to continue working on my writing after I graduate college in a month and this looks like an interesting way to do it. I just have a few questions before I commit to doing my own "Be the Booker" thread.

Should I type everything that goes on in a match or should I use more summaries?

you can post them whenever you want them

I honestly very rarely read them, but there is a guy here who does reviews, his user name is Straight Edge Zero, so hit him with a PM and I'm sure he'll review your show

I think pics and vids add to it, but that's just me

how ever many you can fit in I guess

I would use a video for the matches, that's the easiest way to do it, and it works fine

Tommy Thunder
11-02-2011, 09:16 PM
If you want advice on how to go about doing it and all that, I'd advise you to PM the guys that already have ones up and running. They're the ones who will give you the best guidance.

No_1eddiefan
11-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Allow me to give you some advice on this, but I won't actually give you straight answers.

You can have set days, such as the amazing UWA does with Saturday Night Carnage, or you can just put them out as often as you can like I do.

We get quite a decent fanbase on here, but I'd quite happily do reviews, or you can PM Straight Edge Zero and ask him to do reviews for you? We both review in similar ways.

Sometimes they add and sometimes they take away. We have a lot of different BTB threads on here, each with different approaches. I prefer to leave videos and pictures out unless completely neccessary, but there are some that like to use them. The idea would be to create a BTB that stands out from the rest.

I write between 5 and 6 matches on a typical 2 hour show, with 2 in ring and 1 or 2 backstage promos. PPVs are completely up to you and depends on how many storylines you can fit in. I've had anything between 8 and 11 matches for normal 3 hour PPVs, with 14 for my Wrestlemania. But again, this is your BTB and you should be the one to make final decisions.

Now this is something that there are so many different approaches. You can have videos of existing matches where you tell people that one competitor is somebody else, or you can bullet point, or you can just put who won and how the match finished. Again, obviously, the idea would be to create something original and not like any of the others around.

Hope this helps and we see your thread soon.

nrb6304
11-03-2011, 01:15 AM
AT LEAST once a week if you wanna be relevant. There's an unsaid amount of competition on the BTB thread, but the ones that REALLY stand out, post AT LEAST once a week. Personally, I did 2 shows a week for about a year, but then decided to go to a weekly format.

Well I'd say we have a pretty good fan base here. I know just for my shows, I think I get about 50-55 views a weekend. (I post my shows on Saturday and note the views and then check back on Monday and see how many I've gotten over the two days. Consider it my "ratings" lol)

I think that if you wanna create banners and logos and etc. that would be pretty okay. ME PERSONALLY. I freaking hate the video technique that a few posters use, I think it's super lame. BUT it seems to work. Personally I enjoy making my own banners/etc. but that's because I'm also a digital art minor lol

It REALLY depends on the story you wanna create that week/show. Some of my shows are VERY VERY wrestling heavy. Others, I think I only have three matches? In fact I think my last show I only had 3 or 4 matches. BUT normally one of those matches goes long (15+ minutes). I personally have my own written guidelines that I use for my shows I might post them up in another thread. I also don't write in my commercial breaks, which makes it a little awkward when my show reads something like:
-Dolph Ziggler beat Zack Ryder at 3:09 by Pin
DDT to Ziggler for 2
Zig Zag for the win

-Edge makes his way out to the ring
Edge says that last night Alberto Del Rio threw everything he had at him
But he still couldn't beat the Rated R Superstar!

See, if we were watching RAW and THAT happened JUST LIKE THAT no commercial or w.e it's kinda weird. So I normally stick to this type of format: match backstage promo match. Or something along those lines.

I WOULDN'T. Not a lot of people are going to read: "Dolph and Zack tie up. Zack wrenches the arm. Zack switches to a Hammer Lock." ETC.
I personally use the OWW.com type of summaries. I cover the big spots, some smaller spots, but I don't go MOVE BY MOVE. Now sometimes you have to go in sequences and make SURE that your audience knows that THIS happened and then THAT happened RIGHT AFTER. You know?
FOR EXAMPLE:
Zack nails Dolph with a DDT for 2
Dolph hits the Zig Zag for the win

Now obviously those two things didn't happen RIGHT AFTER each other, it's assumed (god I hope it is or else I've been doing this wrong for a year now lol) that there was some action in between the DDT and the Zig Zag that just didn't need to be covered. But now look at THIS:
Zack nails Dolph with a DDT for 2
Zack can't believe it
Zack gets in the ref's face and asks if he's sure it was 2
Vickie slides Dolph some brass knucks
Vickie jumps on the apron
The referee turns to Vickie
Dolph nails Zack with the knucks for the win!

See how the audience KNOWS that Zack got distracted and then got screwed. Same people. Same result. TOTALLY different ending.

But that's just how I do it. Some of the other guys have their own style and it works for them.

JamFran
11-03-2011, 06:57 PM
thanks for the advice, I think I will venture into this in the near future. I set up a year schedule of when events are going to be, now I'm just working on the roster... IDK if I will be able to have set days as to when I can post, but I will try to do that, I'm also not sure when I will be able to fully start it up as I'm entering term paper season.