PDA

View Full Version : Was Diaz's handling of Penn last night...

Iron Ape
10-30-2011, 02:46 PM
...enough for the doubters and naysayers to finally start treating Nick as a very credible threat to GSP's title?

Androo
10-30-2011, 03:15 PM
I'd say yes, yes it VERY was. Although I wasn't a doubter, or a naysayer, as I don't think I had seen any of Nick's fights before last night (that I am aware of). I think I still prefer GSP though, (personal preference), but Diaz could be the one.

SilverGhost
10-30-2011, 03:20 PM
I say yes.

Last night's fights showed a lot from Nick. Beating Penn was a feat and people should have an eye on him. Threat to the title....definitely.

Iron Ape
10-30-2011, 04:20 PM
I know I'm probably helping hoist myself on the cross with this one- but Nick Diaz is hands-down the most exciting fighter in the world at the moment. For the past couple of years now, he's been bringing it HUGE every single time he's stepped in the cage. And that crazy unorthodox style of his? It's become the Rubik's cube of MMA. Makes for spectacular stand-up battles, too.

Robstar
10-30-2011, 04:35 PM
He certainly did the job on Penn, kudos to him. Did you see his post fight press conference? He's still sounding like he feels the need to be on the defensive with the press and public;

"I've got to come off like that just to get a fight," Diaz said. "You're going to point the finger, make me the bad guy. I'm the bad guy. Now I get a fight. … The only reason why I'm getting this fight is because everybody wants to see me take an (butt)-whipping right about now." - Um, wait a sec Nick - didn't you already have that fight and spoiled it? All I can find in the press is about how GSP couldn't fight on the night - not about why Diaz lost the chance to fight GSP in the first place!

The best thing I think Nick Diaz can do for himself is to maybe pat himself on the back occasionally. I don't know how he could perceive beating BJ Penn as putting him in anything but a good light to all except the most ignorant MMA fans and commentators. I think he also needs to get over the "having to find a reason to dislike the person I'm fighting" thing too and realise it's just business. But hey, maybe that's what he needs to give him the edge, to fire him up. If so - fair enough.

You may indeed be right Ape - as far as exciting fighters Diaz may indeed be the most. But I'd have to suggest Jon Jones would be up there too. :) Hats off to Nick, I just hope (for his own sake) he can behave! ;)

Iron Ape
10-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Jones is a blast to watch, no doubt; the guy is a genuine freak. But therein lies the catch: Bones' natural ability so far exceeds that of everyone else in his division that he doesn't really compete so much as he just leaves tattered bits of other fighters in his wake. Do I love watching him play people like a dusted-off NES? Most def. But would I rather see him be able to go to war with someone who could provide him with a real, substantial challenge? Absolutely.

Iron Ape
11-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Here's a cool pic that I thought some of you might enjoy:

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/55/55f823917afab9ed2f0823e1f7c50e40/gallery_of_ow_penn_diaz_and_mitrione_show_effects_ of_ufc_.jpg

Robstar
11-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Here's a cool pic that I thought some of you might enjoy:

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/55/55f823917afab9ed2f0823e1f7c50e40/gallery_of_ow_penn_diaz_and_mitrione_show_effects_ of_ufc_.jpg

I posted that on my FB after the fight :)