PDA

View Full Version : CM Punk to headline Wrestlemania?

Tommy Thunder
10-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Straight from the main newsboard, AND I QUOTE:

CM Punk is in "top consideration" for the WWE Championship Match at WrestleMania XXVIII since company officials are leaning against the title being on the line in the match pitting John Cena against The Rock.

The heavily hyped bout is not expected to be for the title because WWE brass feel the finish would be too obvious since fans don't expect The Rock to leave WrestleMania as champion.

Cena will reportedly be removed from the title picture following Sunday's Vengeance pay-per-view, which would indicate that Alberto Del Rio will retain the title in their Last Standing Match. Cena will begin building towards his partnership with The Rock at Survivor Series while Del Rio is expected to enter a program with Punk.

Great news IMO. Good to see that the title won't be involved in the Rock vs Cena match, great that Cena is going to be out of the title picture for a while, and great to see that Punk is going to be treated as the main event star he is.

Thoughts on this?

Gangrel
10-21-2011, 07:23 PM
As long as he doesn't have a joke title run *shakes my head sadly* poor poor Christian

But, I hope this news is true :D Punk makes an amazing champion

Rich Cranium
10-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Isn't Wrestlemania still a bit off? This may not be set in stone so I would take it with a grain of salt.

thejman93
10-21-2011, 07:26 PM
I pretty much echo what you said TT. Looks like Punk is staying at the top now.

Only problem I have is Del Rio. He's a shitty champion IMO and I'd like to see Punk vs. somebody who I give a shit about. Upside of that though is 'berto might be able to learn from Punk.

helmsley
10-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I pretty much echo what you said TT. Looks like Punk is staying at the top now.

Only problem I have is Del Rio. He's a shitty champion IMO and I'd like to see Punk vs. somebody who I give a shit about. Upside of that though is 'berto might be able to learn from Punk.

well its seems that del rio and punk are going to start a feud right now, so my bet would be punk getting the title from del rio and at wm punk vs jericho for the wwe title

Tomsta666
10-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Punk - Rock -Austin Triple treat for the title

FUCK CENA!!!!!

Make it happen!!

thejman93
10-21-2011, 07:30 PM
well its seems that del rio and punk are going to start a feud right now, so my bet would be punk getting the title from del rio and at wm punk vs jericho for the wwe title

Now there's a feud I can get in to!

Could you imagine?

CM_Jericho
10-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Jericho Jericho Jericho Jericho!!!!

helmsley
10-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Now there's a feud I can get in to!

Could you imagine?

best in the world vs best in the world in the grandest stage of them all!!!!

and jericho doesnt even need to win the rumble to be in the title picture

Wade Barrett 1979
10-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Firstly, it's definite the smart thing to do, to keep the Cena v Rock match non title! It will draw huge anyway! It will be good to see Punk have a sustained run, at the title/with the title! Del Rio isn't the most dynamic character yet, perhaps a schedule with Punk will change that. You certainly can't knock Del Rio's ring ability though, I think it's very underrated by some! Though, as Rich says, Mania is a loooong way off so who knows!! All kinds of things could happen before then!!

Daffy Duck's Finest
10-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Could it be possible that Punk requested a title match at Wrestlemania in his contract? I wouldn't be surprised if had...

Wade Barrett 1979
10-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Also from the main news boards:

-- Daniel-Olivier Pepin sent this one along: John Cena has been topped as WWE’s top merchandise seller by CM Punk. For the first time in five years, a regular wrestler has topped John Cena. The Rock had previously accomplished this during his short return, but in addition to topping Cena, Punk has also topped the single day sales record of the Rock. This is the first time in 5-years anyone has topped Cena from within the company and not only has Punk done so at WWE Shopzone, but also at live events Punk is the merchandise king.

So you can see why!!!

The Brown One
10-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Could it be possible that Punk requested a title match at Wrestlemania in his contract? I wouldn't be surprised if had...

That would be Jericho. He requested several big things should he return to the WWE. I have a feeling they will give it to him, and have Jericho v Punk for the WWE title at next year's Mania.

Also from the main news boards:

-- Daniel-Olivier Pepin sent this one along: John Cena has been topped as WWE’s top merchandise seller by CM Punk. For the first time in five years, a regular wrestler has topped John Cena. The Rock had previously accomplished this during his short return, but in addition to topping Cena, Punk has also topped the single day sales record of the Rock. This is the first time in 5-years anyone has topped Cena from within the company and not only has Punk done so at WWE Shopzone, but also at live events Punk is the merchandise king.

So you can see why!!!

That shows the stupid Rock marks out there :D The Great One has been topped for once!

jethro
10-21-2011, 08:05 PM
5 month left before wrestlemania,anything can happen and plan could change.I don't care who main event next year wrestlemania as long as the show delivers and better than this year.

alexrules01
10-21-2011, 08:17 PM
They might have Taker return and have Punk vs Undertaker. I blieve if undertaker is not in great shape to fight, he'd prefer to face someone smaller and who weighs less to pick him up easier.

Who knows what is going to happen. You have a few potential stars who could be in the title match. It will be interesting to see what will happen!

broc808
10-21-2011, 08:18 PM
could anyone see this being a way to bring us CM Punk vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin at WrestleMania 28?

think about it maybe CM Punk has the title going into the Royal Rumble and SCSA comes back in the Rumble and wins, how hard would you mark for that one?

The Brown One
10-21-2011, 08:24 PM
could anyone see this being a way to bring us CM Punk vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin at WrestleMania 28?

think about it maybe CM Punk has the title going into the Royal Rumble and SCSA comes back in the Rumble and wins, how hard would you mark for that one?

If this match was for the title then you would just be having another Cena v Rock match. This is because this match doesn't need the WWE title to make it special, it already is. With that said, I would mark out for seeing Punk v Austin at Mania too!

Rich Cranium
10-21-2011, 08:26 PM
If this match was for the title then you would just be having another Cena v Rock match. This is because this match doesn't need the WWE title to make it special, it already is. With that said, I would mark out for seeing Punk v Austin at Mania too!

You will need to mark out on a WWE game since the chances of Austin making a comeback are slim.

broc808
10-21-2011, 08:27 PM

yes I guess it would be pretty much the same thing, and we would be lucky to have that match at all, and if it happens I doubt it will be for any title

I know everyone would definitely go crazy though if this was set up and right when SCSAs music hits during the Rumble, that would just be crazy, and if it did happen wouldn't that be like his 4th Royal Rumble win

jethro
10-21-2011, 08:43 PM
I think WWE cannot have two iconic superstars making special appearance in one ppv,Austin vs Punk has to wait for Mania 29 imo. Punk vs Taker next year would be a nice choice and Punk being the 20th and the final victim of Taker's winning streak.

broc808
10-21-2011, 08:48 PM
I think WWE cannot have two iconic superstars making special appearance in one ppv,Austin vs Punk has to wait for Mania 29 imo. Punk vs Taker next year would be a nice choice and Punk being the 20th and the final victim of Taker's winning streak.

well I wouldn't say they "cannot" do it, it could still fit in to one PPV, I doubt we will see it but if WWE really wanted to have Punk vs. Austin this year at Mania, Cena and the Rock would not prevent that from happening

Tommy Thunder
10-21-2011, 08:51 PM
well I wouldn't say they "cannot" do it, it could still fit in to one PPV, I doubt we will see it but if WWE really wanted to have Punk vs. Austin this year at Mania, Cena and the Rock would not prevent that from happening

Thing is, WWe have their 'big draw match' this year with Cena vs Rock. Pun vs Austin is another 'big draw match' they can use for the next Mania.

broc808
10-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Thing is, WWe have their 'big draw match' this year with Cena vs Rock. Pun vs Austin is another 'big draw match' they can use for the next Mania.

well I see the point but it could be something different, having 2 in one year could actually end up helping them, and plus the rocks return at WM last year didn't stop people from saying it sucked so why not add one more to make it a better PPV? I really don't feel this will happen I'm just saying that it's not a terrible decision and could work out very well

pauadrian
10-21-2011, 09:21 PM

if you worked for vince he would love you

Tommy Thunder
10-21-2011, 09:23 PM
if you worked for vince he would love you

I'm just saying what I think he's thinking. Simple as that.

Pumpkinhead
10-21-2011, 09:33 PM
The Best choice is to save the Pun kvs Stone Cold for WM 29, Punk should be in the WWE title match this mania

Tommy Thunder
10-21-2011, 10:03 PM
The Best choice is to save the Pun kvs Stone Cold for WM 29, Punk should be in the WWE title match this mania

Exactly what I think.
Punk winning a WWE title match at Mania would be epic.

RagingBallsFTW
10-21-2011, 10:37 PM
To be honest, Punk's the only guy right now that I see winning the Royal Rumble so this makes sense. However, I think Punk becoming champion again at around TLC is also very possible.

Necroyeti
10-21-2011, 11:53 PM
I do think CM Punk will headline Wrestlemania, and here's how I think it's going to go down:

- VENGEANCE: Alberto Del Rio retains in a cheap way - using duct tape or krazy glue. GOTTA KEEP CENA STRONG LOL

- SURVIVOR SERIES: The title is not defended (and barely mentioned) around this time period at all, since there is a Team Cena vs. Team Del Rio match booked instead.

- TLC: After Ricardo Rodriguez turns face by attacking Del Rio, Cena wins the title in a ladder match
- However, Del Rio immediately destroys his bicep using ladders and armbars. The kayfabe injury forces Cena to vacate the title on the following Raw.

- ROYAL RUMBLE: The Rumble match this year is for the vacant title rather than a WM spot. A returning Steve Austin wins his record fourth Royal Rumble by last eliminating CM Punk.
-This sparks a heated rivalry between the two, and many many shoot promos.

- ELIMINATION CHAMBER - Austin vs. Punk vs. Del Rio vs. Ricardo vs. Alex Riley vs. John Cena. (making a surprise return as the mystery sixth man)
- CM Punk is the first eliimated, being quickly pinned by Cena in under a minute.
- Austin eventually retains by last eliminating Cena, after The Rock did a run-in to rock bottom Cena. (he opened the cage door using a Zamboni, jabroni) Austin and Rock stare each other down.
- Austin drops the title to CM Punk the following night on Raw.

- WRESTLEMANIA: CM Punk is set to defend against Austin, whereas Cena is to wrestle Rock as planned.
- However, plans are changed at the last minute, and CM Punk drops the title to a John Cena on the final Raw (with zero build or hype, of course) to make the Cena match for the title after all.
- HOWEVER, on the night of WM, special guest star Justin Bieber announces halfway through the show that it is now a fatal-four-way match for the title.
- CM Punk wins with some help after Austin, Kevin Nash, John Laurinaitis, Triple H, R-Truth, The Miz, X-Pac, Scott Hall, Shawn Michaels, The 1 Billy Gunn and the debuting Abyss decimates everyone else. Following this carnage, Hulk Hogan hobbles to the ring.
-"you know something jack, the hottest rising newcomer in pro wrestling brother, CM Punk dude, is now part of the most dominant force in pro wrestling brother, The Illuminati."
- CM Punk drinks a beer.

My name is Vince Russo, and thank you for reading.

K2Jelly
10-22-2011, 12:09 AM
I do think CM Punk will headline Wrestlemania, and here's how I think it's going to go down:

- VENGEANCE: Alberto Del Rio retains in a cheap way - using duct tape or krazy glue. GOTTA KEEP CENA STRONG LOL

- SURVIVOR SERIES: The title is not defended (and barely mentioned) around this time period at all, since there is a Team Cena vs. Team Del Rio match booked instead.

- TLC: After Ricardo Rodriguez turns face by attacking Del Rio, Cena wins the title in a ladder match
- However, Del Rio immediately destroys his bicep using ladders and armbars. The kayfabe injury forces Cena to vacate the title on the following Raw.

- ROYAL RUMBLE: The Rumble match this year is for the vacant title rather than a WM spot. A returning Steve Austin wins his record fourth Royal Rumble by last eliminating CM Punk.
-This sparks a heated rivalry between the two, and many many shoot promos.

- ELIMINATION CHAMBER - Austin vs. Punk vs. Del Rio vs. Ricardo vs. Alex Riley vs. John Cena. (making a surprise return as the mystery sixth man)
- CM Punk is the first eliimated, being quickly pinned by Cena in under a minute.
- Austin eventually retains by last eliminating Cena, after The Rock did a run-in to rock bottom Cena. (he opened the cage door using a Zamboni, jabroni) Austin and Rock stare each other down.
- Austin drops the title to CM Punk the following night on Raw.

- WRESTLEMANIA: CM Punk is set to defend against Austin, whereas Cena is to wrestle Rock as planned.
- However, plans are changed at the last minute, and CM Punk drops the title to a John Cena on the final Raw (with zero build or hype, of course) to make the Cena match for the title after all.
- HOWEVER, on the night of WM, special guest star Justin Bieber announces halfway through the show that it is now a fatal-four-way match for the title.
- CM Punk wins with some help after Austin, Kevin Nash, John Laurinaitis, Triple H, R-Truth, The Miz, X-Pac, Scott Hall, Shawn Michaels, The 1 Billy Gunn and the debuting Abyss decimates everyone else. Following this carnage, Hulk Hogan hobbles to the ring.
-"you know something jack, the hottest rising newcomer in pro wrestling brother, CM Punk dude, is now part of the most dominant force in pro wrestling brother, The Illuminati."
- CM Punk drinks a beer.

My name is Vince Russo, and thank you for reading.

Wow. I thought you were serious for a minute. That is until I saw the Royal Rumble part.

Mr. McMahon
10-22-2011, 01:15 AM
not buying it at all. Rock/Cena match will be for the WWE title despite what all the dirtsheets/news boards say. What better way to get more fans, especially older attitude era fans to get to watch WWE again and increase ratings.

If it's for the title, the old fans will tune in to watch because they will know that if Rock wins the title then he will stay on Raw for a while, but if its not for the title, they wont tune in cause they will know its only a one day thing.

Don't care what IWC says, making that match for the title would be the smart thing to do, not the right thing but the smart thing = money and ratings. It can also help increase the prestige of the title even if Rock looses, just by having an icon like Rock come back at WM and face off for the title would make the match even more interesting and a better dream match.

And for those thinking that its a waste of a title match, there is the world heavyweight title. Imagine if Rock/Hogan was for the title, just imagine how much bigger the energy and reaction would have been, what if Hogan won the title that night, can you imagine how loud of a pop he would gotten in Toronto as a new heel champion. It would probably be the biggest pop in wrestling history, they have a chance to do it with The Rock, especially in his own hometown, at wrestlemania, for the title, against the most controversial/hated baby face in the company. Epic

Tommy Thunder
10-22-2011, 01:36 AM
not buying it at all. Rock/Cena match will be for the WWE title despite what all the dirtsheets/news boards say. What better way to get more fans, especially older attitude era fans to get to watch WWE again and increase ratings.

If it's for the title, the old fans will tune in to watch because they will know that if Rock wins the title then he will stay on Raw for a while, but if its not for the title, they wont tune in cause they will know its only a one day thing.

Don't care what IWC says, making that match for the title would be the smart thing to do, not the right thing but the smart thing = money and ratings. It can also help increase the prestige of the title even if Rock looses, just by having an icon like Rock come back at WM and face off for the title would make the match even more interesting and a better dream match.

And for those thinking that its a waste of a title match, there is the world heavyweight title. Imagine if Rock/Hogan was for the title, just imagine how much bigger the energy and reaction would have been, what if Hogan won the title that night, can you imagine how loud of a pop he would gotten in Toronto as a new heel champion. It would probably be the biggest pop in wrestling history, they have a chance to do it with The Rock, especially in his own hometown, at wrestlemania, for the title, against the most controversial/hated baby face in the company. Epic

Not really. If the title's on the line then the outcome is a foregone conclusion IMO. It's a fact that the Rock is down with WWE as a full time guy, so there's no way that he'd win the title. If the title's on the line in the Mania math, then it's odds on that Cena wins it.
If the title isn't on the line, then at least there's a chance that the Rock will win. And for me, that's a much more appealing match.

maar13
10-22-2011, 01:48 AM

Don't really think so, wrestler doesn't have that kind of leverage anymore.

If they are looking into give him that spot is because he has a good following more than him requesting a title match at Mania.

Mr. McMahon
10-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Not really. If the title's on the line then the outcome is a foregone conclusion IMO. It's a fact that the Rock is down with WWE as a full time guy, so there's no way that he'd win the title. If the title's on the line in the Mania math, then it's odds on that Cena wins it.
If the title isn't on the line, then at least there's a chance that the Rock will win. And for me, that's a much more appealing match.

yes but read the rest of it. You don't know for sure what The Rock has planned, maybe he plans to stay in WWE after WM for a while. He did that in 2002, came back from hollywood, won the title, stayed for 2 months and back to hollywood. Everyone is just assuming that Rock will come to WM and then that will be the last time we see the Rock again, no one thought we would see Rock again in the ring but then he came back.

Tommy Thunder
10-22-2011, 02:51 AM
yes but read the rest of it. You don't know for sure what The Rock has planned, maybe he plans to stay in WWE after WM for a while. He did that in 2002, came back from hollywood, won the title, stayed for 2 months and back to hollywood. Everyone is just assuming that Rock will come to WM and then that will be the last time we see the Rock again, no one thought we would see Rock again in the ring but then he came back.

What has The Rock got to gain from returning to wrestling full time apart from collecting a paycheck? Nothing.
His movie career is really taking off right now, and he's making a hell of a lot more money from that than he'll ever get from wrestling. Why put a booming acting career on hold in order to go back to wrestling?

The Brown One
10-22-2011, 04:11 AM

Tell that to the idiots out there who think that The Rock will win the WWE title from Cena no matter what. They truly hate Cena, and already presume that The Rock will beat Cena at Wrestlemania, and hold the WWE title, and will "fix everything". They must have lost some brain cells to think that. Its also very unlikely that The Rock will stay full time on Raw after Wrestlemania, due to his booming movie career like you said. Theres plans of having him and Cena have a best of 3 matches over the span of three PPVs throughout next year, so its common sense to expect him to only show up via satellite, or have him cut a promo in-person the Raw before the PPV.

Roy
10-22-2011, 05:46 AM
Rock vs Cena is already on the card. CM Punk vs someone for the WWE title.
Austin could be the guest host of Wrestlemania like Rock was. Austin could screw Punk for the title match setting up a match at WM 29! :D
Atleast, my prediction screams possibility! :P

Dr. Death
10-22-2011, 06:13 AM
The Rock vs Cena match with/without the Title has been discussed on many threads already, this thread is about the possibility of CM Punk headlining WM28 for the WWE title.

Back on topic; regardless of the out come of Vengence, I can see CM Punk winning at Royal Rumble to challenge for the WWE title. Not saying it will happen, just saying it's a possibility and a way to continue current storylines until the Rumble.

The Brown One
10-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Rock vs Cena is already on the card. CM Punk vs someone for the WWE title.
Austin could be the guest host of Wrestlemania like Rock was. Austin could screw Punk for the title match setting up a match at WM 29! :D
Atleast, my prediction screams possibility! :P

That is an awesome sig :)

Dr. Death
10-22-2011, 07:34 AM
What has The Rock got to gain from returning to wrestling full time apart from collecting a paycheck? Nothing.
His movie career is really taking off right now, and he's making a hell of a lot more money from that than he'll ever get from wrestling. Why put a booming acting career on hold in order to go back to wrestling?

Quoted for truth.

Roy
10-22-2011, 10:53 AM
That is an awesome sig :)

Lol thank you!

Dr. Death
10-22-2011, 11:04 AM

This would be decent planning.

BlazersDozen
10-22-2011, 11:59 AM
I hope Punk wins it asap after this Sunday. Del Rio is a boring champion & I think it could help the title if Punk holds it to WM then drops it to Jericho at WM.

The Hit Man
10-22-2011, 01:56 PM
It makes sense to have Punk the WWE Champion going into Wrestlemania. Your biggest and best names should headline Wrestlemaina. Cena, the biggest name on Raw has his match with The Rock. This match is bigger than the WWE Championship so IMO the WWE Championship doesn't really add much to the match. As we all know, WWE are lacking serious main event stars. The best way to make a star is at Wrestlemania. Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, Chris Benoit, John Cena, Batista and Rey Mysterio all won their first World Title in the main event of Wrestlemaina and have all became household names because of it. You have an already establsihed star in CM Punk as WWE Champion heading into Wrestlemaina. This is the perfect opportunity to create a new star. Someone like Ziggler or Rhodes should win the Royal Rumble and defeat Punk at Wrestlemainia cleanly!

maar13
10-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Personally if Punk were to become champion I would like for him to lose it after a long reign, meaning he retaining at Mania. I can see Ziggler winning the title later but I hope for Punk to have a good reign or win the Rumble and win the title at Mania.

To the Rock winning the title, no it is not needed at all, just like when he came back to put Goldberg over, by his sole name he is a star and putting the title in that match it will back fire to them.

His name will sell the PPV, the title is irrelevant there, even for the old Attitude era fans.

Tommy Thunder
10-23-2011, 01:46 AM
I hope Punk wins it asap after this Sunday. Del Rio is a boring champion & I think it could help the title if Punk holds it to WM then drops it to Jericho at WM.

Punk to win the title at SS, and holds it until Mania.
Jericho returns to win the RR.
Jericho vs Punk at WM.

That's one idea. Although, I'd like to see Ziggler or Rhodes win the Rumble.

BlazersDozen
10-23-2011, 05:10 AM
Punk to win the title at SS, and holds it until Mania.
Jericho returns to win the RR.
Jericho vs Punk at WM.

That's one idea. Although, I'd like to see Ziggler or Rhodes win the Rumble.

I don't think Y2J needs the Rumble to have a WM title match & the word is RR winner is from SD so Rhodes is still a possibility but somehow they'd need to find a way that Orton can be involved in Jericho's return. Maybe a program between the three of Punk, Jericho & Orton that ends after EC & creates the Jericho V Punk match at Mania.

Pumpkinhead
10-23-2011, 08:17 AM
I'll rather see Orton vs Jericho for the WHC,Orton wins the title back at some point, Jericho comes back and wins the RR and they can say Y2J wants revenge after Randy took him out

CM Punk should face the Miz for the title, both are over enough to be competing in one of the main event, Miz as champion

BlazersDozen
10-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Why does everyone want returning established wrestlers to win the Rumble?! Get back to using it to further push an upper mid carder to the main event. Jericho does NOT need a RR win to be over with the crowd.

I was fine with them doing it for Edge because even after winning world titles, some ppl still didn't think he deserved the main event, especially over Christian but I hated them doing it for Cena & I think they did it with Taker. It does nothing to build their characters when they've been in the main event for a VERY long time.