PDA

View Full Version : British Lions/Team Great Britain,whats the difference?

Juvenile Junkie
10-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Can a British person on the forums please explain what the big deal is about opposing Team Great Britain for 2012.You have the British Lions in rugby,its supposed to be an honour to done the red shirt and play for the Lions.How is that different to having a Great Britain team in the olympics?Isn't their a Great Britiain team in Rugby League?

And I hate to point it out to the Irish,Welsh and Scottish folk,you 3 haven't been to a major tournament in how long???

Plus in many other sports you only have one Irish team,how is this different?

On a side note,there's a reason why England are in favour of such a team,just take the hint from this joke:

QUESTION: Where does the England cricket stay when they're touring South Africa?
ANSWER: With their parents!

Tomsta666
10-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Who's opposing it? I think the vast majority are behind it. I mean for one David Beckham is wanting to captain the team, and Beckham has major clout. The fact the olympics are in London, it makes perfect sense to have a British team.

Regal>Cena
10-21-2011, 08:53 AM
The Scottish, Welsh and Irish FA's all oppose it as they feel it will diminish their own authority.

The fact is that the players would most likely want to do it, but the football associations do not want to admit publicly that the team would largely be a predominantly English team. (Because we have a much stronger league, and a larger pool of talent to draw on)

Juvenile Junkie
10-21-2011, 01:31 PM
(Because we have a much stronger league

hey hey hey,just because England has won more Champions Leagues,FIFA Club world cups.UEFA super cups,UEFA Cups,Intertoto cups and cup winners cup's than Scotland,Ireland,Wales and Northern Ireland put together,does not mean that the EPL is any better than the erm,um um um (whats the Welsh league called?)

Wade Barrett 1979
10-21-2011, 01:39 PM
hey hey hey,just because England has won more Champions Leagues,FIFA Club world cups.UEFA super cups,UEFA Cups,Intertoto cups and cup winners cup's than Scotland,Ireland,Wales and Northern Ireland put together,does not mean that the EPL is any better than the erm,um um um (whats the Welsh league called?)

The MacWhirter Welsh Football League . There you go :)

EDIT: Also, their Premier League is called:........................................... ..... The Welsh Premier League!!!! Whoda thunk it?

Juvenile Junkie
10-21-2011, 02:16 PM
The MacWhirter Welsh Football League . There you go :)

EDIT: Also, their Premier League is called:........................................... ..... The Welsh Premier League!!!! Whoda thunk it?

so many Premier Leagues

but only one La Liga!

Tomsta666
10-21-2011, 02:25 PM
so many Premier Leagues

but only one La Liga!

Only one La Liga... only ever one of two winners of La liga.

Automatic
10-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Why is the United Kingdom the only country with 4 national football teams?
Bullshit.

Tomsta666
10-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Why is the United Kingdom the only country with 4 national football teams.
Bullshit.

LULZ

I can't tell whether you're being sarccy here, but...

Because the UNITED KINGDOM is four countries!!

Automatic
10-21-2011, 02:36 PM
LULZ

I can't tell whether you're being sarccy here, but...

Because the UNITED KINGDOM is four countries!!

It's a country that consists out of 4 countries?

Tommy Thunder
10-21-2011, 02:39 PM
It's a country that consists out of 4 countries?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrm-rPSCIBw

Automatic
10-21-2011, 02:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrm-rPSCIBw

So then, why do they have 4 national teams instead of a United Kingdom team?

Wade Barrett 1979
10-21-2011, 03:36 PM

The UK is a unitary state, made up of four countries! Each of these countries has it's own F.A. therefore each country has it's own team! Hope that's cleared it up :)

Tommy Thunder
10-21-2011, 03:48 PM

Every country has their own national team dude.

The United Kingdom is a sovereign state consisting of 4 different countries. Wales is it's own country, Scotland is it's own country, Northen Ireland is it's own country, and England is it;s own country. Each country has it's own FA, and thus it's own national team.
But in the Olympics, the United Kingdom competes as one.

Tomsta666
10-21-2011, 03:57 PM
United Kingdom = England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales.

:cool:

We're only a small country, compared to other land masses. Yet we have a history of pretty much ruling the world (British Empire) on the world stage we are the UK or Britain. Yet, we still enjoy our national identity hence England, Scotland, Wales Northern Ireland. Especially when it comes to a sport we invented ;)

Just out of interest Auto... We lump Holland and the Netherlands together too. Those terms are pretty much interchangable to mean the same thing, would that bother you???

Wade Barrett 1979
10-21-2011, 04:15 PM
To complicate matters more:

The British Isles consists of the islands of Great Britain, Ireland and 6,000 other islands!! That's not a typo, six Thousand!!!

Polly-Pablo
10-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Why is the United Kingdom the only country with 4 national football teams?
Bullshit.

Is not a country...it's a 'united' kingdom.....

America and Canada are on the same bit of land right? You don't have sea or ocean between you? Well neither do our 4 countries....(well except for N. Ireland but we kind of inherited them!) So you are 2 seperate countries by right and we are 4 seperate countries by right....

England has the largest land mass, just! Which could be why we produce more 'stars'.....or it could be we are just bred better:p

The scottish, welsh and N. Irish never want to be lumped together with England as it's usually assumed that Team GB is English and people are all shocked when they have non English athletes! That's not a jibe, that's just the way people view it....

The Scottish have their own parliament, they won the right to rule themselves, which is fair enough, they should be allowed to do that....but what does annoy me is when things go wrong, they want the English to help them out....

ie - Financially, legally....

And dammit, if you want to be your own country, get your own Royal family!;)

Tomsta666
10-21-2011, 06:18 PM

America and Canada are on the same bit of land right? You don't have sea or ocean between you? Well neither do our 4 countries....(well except for N. Ireland but we kind of inherited them!) So you are 2 seperate countries by right and we are 4 seperate countries by right....

England has the largest land mass, just! Which could be why we produce more 'stars'.....or it could be we are just bred better:p

The scottish, welsh and N. Irish never want to be lumped together with England as it's usually assumed that Team GB is English and people are all shocked when they have non English athletes! That's not a jibe, that's just the way people view it....

The Scottish have their own parliament, they won the right to rule themselves, which is fair enough, they should be allowed to do that....but what does annoy me is when things go wrong, they want the English to help them out....

TELL EM POLLY!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cWz9MrHskk

Tommy Thunder
10-21-2011, 06:34 PM

I think that's pretty much explained things!

Polly-Pablo
10-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Oops, yeah sorry about the mini rant there.....I just got handed a nice little 'tour' over christmas...with 3 weeks notice, so Polly isn't in the best of moods! Sorry people....I'll get back in my box now

Tommy Thunder
10-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Oops, yeah sorry about the mini rant there.....I just got handed a nice little 'tour' over christmas...with 3 weeks notice, so Polly isn't in the best of moods! Sorry people....I'll get back in my box now

No way! That sucks :(

Polly-Pablo
10-21-2011, 06:46 PM
No way! That sucks :(

Welcome to the wonderful world of her majesty's royal air force!

But...at least I'll be home in time for the Olympics........

Tomsta666
10-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of her majesty's royal air force!

But...at least I'll be home in time for the Olympics........

Salutes!!

My best mate is a Navy officer

My cousin is pretty high up in the paras.

God bless you Polly.

and God Save the Queen!!

Polly-Pablo
10-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Salutes!!

My best mate is a Navy officer

My cousin is pretty high up in the paras.

God bless you Polly.

and God Save the Queen!!

Salutes back!

Polly = low ranking techie lol

Love that your family are doing well, more power to them!

Tomsta666
10-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Salutes back!

Polly = low ranking techie lol

Love that your family are doing well, more power to them!

Shame about me though eh?? :p

Much love for the services though ;)

http://static4.depositphotos.com/1001336/352/i/450/dep_3524294-British-Salute.jpg

RULE BRITANNIA!!

Tommy Thunder
10-21-2011, 07:25 PM
The UK's safe in the hands of Polly :D

Juvenile Junkie
10-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Imagine if Yugoslavia had a 'unified' team nowadays,they would be right up there with Spain,Germany,Italy and Netherlands.

Why didn't any of you britons ask Automatic whats the difference between Holland and the Netherlands?

But back to the Yugoslavia XI what a team they would have:

Handanovic(Slovenia)

Subotic(Sebia) Vidic(Serbia) Ivanovic(Serbia)

Krasic(Serbia) Srna(Croatia) Modric(Croatia) Pjanic(Bosnia)

Jovetic(Montenegro) Vucenic(Montenegro)

Dzeko(Bosnia)

Wade Barrett 1979
10-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Why didn't any of you britons ask Automatic whats the difference between Holland and the Netherlands

The only reason I haven't asked, is because I know what the difference is!! Simple as that!

Juvenile Junkie
10-23-2011, 06:10 AM
And then we have England's cricket team,filled with "English" players

Wade Barrett 1979
10-23-2011, 06:13 AM
And then we have England's cricket team,filled with "English" players

What can I say, everyone wants to play for England! We're so appealing!!

Juvenile Junkie
10-23-2011, 06:15 AM
What can I say, everyone wants to play for England! We're so appealing!!

Sadly,the South Africans playing for England are better than the ones playing for South Africa........