PDA

View Full Version : football vs soccer

pauadrian
10-18-2011, 09:04 PM
what is the apropiate name for the game fifa owns
http://espndeportes-assets.espn.go.com/2003/photos2010/0325/m_bravo_omar_300x400.jpg

http://futbolistas7.com/wp-content/uploads/pictures/fernando-torres-celebra-su-gol-237.jpg

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/2487/1854045-handegg.jpg

VanHooliganX
10-18-2011, 09:06 PM
This won't end well.

Being a troll myself i'll do what I do best.

inb4 arguement
inb4 locked/closed

Induring.

pauadrian
10-18-2011, 09:07 PM
This won't end well.

Being a troll myself i'll do what I do best.

inb4 arguement
inb4 locked/closed

Induring.

how do you know it wont everybody who likes nfl and fifa are very friendly here

Wade Barrett 1979
10-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Football........... that's cleared that up, next discussion please! :p

pauadrian
10-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Football........... that's cleared that up, next discussion please! :p

lets wait for he nfl fans to come

VanHooliganX
10-18-2011, 09:21 PM
May as well right the correct way of saying it though.

FIFA's football.

Association football, commonly known as football or soccer, is a sport played between two teams of eleven players with a spherical ball. At the turn of the 21st century, the game was played by over 250 million players in over 200 countries, making it the world's most popular sport.

From the Wikipedia page.

I believe the Myth is China invented it 700 years ago but without rules and no goal, also using heads. The English invented the sport with proper rules and regulations about 150 years ago. Hell the first OFFICIAL (Must stress that, wasn't by far the first match, just the first proper recorded match, this also doesn't include clubs) international game was in 1872 with England vs. Scotland.

I think Gridiron football was created around 1890s (I sadly don't have a lot of background with Gridiron football so excuse if this is inaccurate please) but called Gridiron football until I believe the NFL just called it football.
American football properly started with NFL in 1966 (the year of the first Superbowl, which made it Americas biggest sport)
Hell I think the Cards vs. Steelers SB was the highest American watched show ever.

Basically, the North America continent call it soccer because NFL is a biggest attraction to them, the mistake mostly comes from America being more of a sporting driven nation compared to Brazil, England and Asia. Everywhere else calls it football. iIf we're doing it by history, association football was first and therefore gets rights to football.

I haven't even touched Aussie Rules Football. I sadly can't tell you anything from that because I never studied it at college.

I await NFL fans trying to justify why Gridiron is football against the first sport behind fighting and Racing. :)

68wPayne
10-18-2011, 09:34 PM
I think we basically call ours football because we got it from rugby football (wikipedia)

pauadrian
10-18-2011, 09:37 PM
I think we basically call ours football because we got it from rugby football (wikipedia)

so..............we screwed rugby and nfl screwed us?

VanHooliganX
10-18-2011, 09:41 PM

I have to say actually. Your Rugby team did pretty decent considering your group, excluding the Aussie game you didn't go down as easy as people thought.
But thats for the Rugby topic when the bronze match happens.

Wade Barrett 1979

You're probably right there!! Soccer just sounds so wrong to me though!! OK from now on, you can keep football but it must always be called American Football, full name, in future and not just football.......... OK, that's sorted that out, next problem please :p

68wPayne

the circle of life. well...triangle of life I suppose

Wade Barrett 1979
10-18-2011, 09:54 PM

Nope, Rubgy footbal was still named after football! Although a different variation, on what we consider to be 'modern' football!!

pauadrian
10-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Nope, Rubgy footbal was still named after football! Although a different variation, on what we consider to be 'modern' football!!

so we got srewed by evrybody?

Wade Barrett 1979
10-18-2011, 09:57 PM
so we got srewed by evrybody?

Basically yes but look at is as a form of flattery, imitation is a form of flattery after all! Plus they say, original is best :)

Pumpkinhead
10-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Let me get this, the original Football is Rugby?

pauadrian
10-18-2011, 10:04 PM

no thats the new football

our football is the original

Wade Barrett 1979
10-18-2011, 10:13 PM

No, basically when football used to be played at Rugby school in the mid1800's, the rules back then stated a player could touch the ball with his hands but not move with it (this was before the introduction of the rule set, we follow in 'modern' football!) The story goes that during a particular game, one player picked up the ball, then ran with it! That's how Rugby began and how it became known as rubgy football!

pauadrian
10-18-2011, 10:14 PM
No, basically when football used to be played at Rugby school in the mid1800's, the rules back then stated a player could touch the ball with his hands but not move with it (this was before the introduction of the rule set, we follow in 'modern' football!) The story goes that during a particular game, one player picked up the ball, then ran with it! That's how Rugby began and how it became known as rubgy football!

ive seaid it before
sports nerd

Wade Barrett 1979
10-18-2011, 10:18 PM
ive seaid it before
sports nerd

Ha! Cheers mate, I take that as a compliment :)

SilverGhost
10-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Football vs Soccer vs Rugby

Rugby wins xD

AreYaSerious
10-18-2011, 11:58 PM
All I'm going to say, I love NFL, or should I say just to make pauadrian happy the national hand egg league.

Juvenile Junkie
10-19-2011, 02:11 AM
don't forget Gaelic football and Australian football.

Juvenile Junkie
10-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Xfl!

Xfl!

Xfl!

Xfl!

VanHooliganX
10-19-2011, 03:45 AM
don't forget Gaelic football and Australian football.

Oh yeah. Completely forgot Gaelic football. I'm covered on the Aussie Rules mention though *thumbs up*

Juvenile Junkie
10-21-2011, 07:11 AM
And Rugby League,played by the sophisticated and upper class folk in England.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-21-2011, 07:21 AM
And Rugby League,played by the sophisticated and upper class folk in England.

Hey, I used to play League and Union!! How did you know? :p

Juvenile Junkie
10-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Hey, I used to play League and Union!! How did you know? :p
a guess.

In Australia some places are 'union areas',some are 'Aussie rules areas' and others are 'league areas' ,is that the same in England?

Wade Barrett 1979
10-21-2011, 01:57 PM
a guess.

In Australia some places are 'union areas',some are 'Aussie rules areas' and others are 'league areas' ,is that the same in England?

Yeah, generally you do get certain areas that are one or the other, mostly down to the success of said areas team really!!

Juvenile Junkie
10-21-2011, 02:19 PM
hey,we forgot French Football.Inspired by its own William Webb Ellis,Thierry Henry.The game is banned in Ireland.

Rich Cranium
10-21-2011, 02:20 PM
I await NFL fans trying to justify why Gridiron is football against the first sport behind fighting and Racing. :)

Rugby came first, then soccer followed by football.

Juvenile Junkie
10-21-2011, 02:23 PM

true.And Australian football was formed as a way of keeping cricketers fit during their off-season.Ironic.

VanHooliganX
10-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Rugby came first, then football followed by Gridiron.

Well Rugby was1 of the first around yes until the rule about using and not using hands was moved into 2 different sports. So it basically it comes down to if you see the first sport being Rugby or Football :)

VanHooliganX
10-21-2011, 02:31 PM
true.And Australian football was formed as a way of keeping cricketers fit during their off-season.Ironic.

Well that I didn't know that. I wish I could follow that but the timezone between Australia and England is too much for me :(

Wade Barrett 1979
10-21-2011, 03:44 PM

Is essense football came first! It's just that the codified rules, that both sports are based on, Rugby was clarified first!! So 'modern' football came after!!