PDA

View Full Version : The Nation of Procrastination: The Nexus: Where are they now?

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-16-2011, 04:05 PM
This is the stuff I think about when I am supposed to be doing school work...

On June 7th 2010, a group of no-named wrestlers made a huge splash with their attack on Raw. After a quick fizzle, a spin-off stable, and an attempted re-hashing of the group, the stable known as The Nexus is forgotten only 15 months later. Sure, the members maybe still be around, but the armbands, the shirts, and the buzz have long been gone from relevancy.

The Nexus: Where are they now?

Michael Tarver
After being attacked and suffering a real injury, began popping in the backgrounds of many backstage promos. He has since been released from the company.

Skip Sheffield
After getting the boot from Nexus, he seriously broke his ankle and has gotten multiple surgeries in order to repair it. As of now, his status with the company as well as his wrestling career is unknown.

Darren Young
Soon after the Nexus days, began showing up on Raw and mostly Superstars. Most recently he was on NXT again as a heel teaming with JTG. On October 5th 2011 he was suspended for 30 days more for violation of the Wellness Policy.

Justin Gabriel and Heath Slater
After becoming a pretty successful tag team by WWE's standards, they were broken up and now mainly appear on NXT. They have not done much in their singles career.

David Otunga
Another pretty successful tag team by WWE's standards winning the belts a few times with Michael McGillicuty is now seen as an legal adviser to Johnny Ace (I assume) and the rest of the rebel superstars.

Daniel Bryan Danielson
After a solid run with the US title, he won the Money in the Bank Briefcase for Smackdown. Since winning it, he claims to cash it in at Wrestlemania. However, he keeps getting kicked in the head by Black Sin Cara and most recently had a dark match on Hell in a Cell.

Wade Barrett
Ran another defunct stable, The Corre. Had a little run with the Intercontinental Belt but after losing it, beat Bryan and lost to Sheamus multiple times.

Conclusion
I am sure I have missed some things for each superstar so please fill them in. Wade and Daniel have the brightest futures out of the 8 without question. Sure, maybe take away a few injuries and a few syringes out of the ass of Darren Young we might have gotten a few more up-and-comers.

My question for everyone is this. Over a year later looking back, was The Nexus a WIN or FAIL in the terms of make new superstars for WWE?

SilverGhost
10-16-2011, 04:15 PM
2/8 Nexus guys being successful.....it was pretty much a fail. Otunga is useless. Gabriel has a future but needs to be handled right. Slater=jobber

wrestlingfan66513
10-16-2011, 04:24 PM
2/8 Nexus guys being successful.....it was pretty much a fail. Otunga is useless. Gabriel has a future but needs to be handled right. Slater=jobber

I agree with this. NXT just needs to get cancelled.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-16-2011, 04:25 PM
The angle was a right balls up in the end! After starting so well, with so much potential. 'Creative' did their usual and shot their bolt too early!!

Anywho, it's not been the greatest of success stories! Even Barrett and Bryan have gone off the boil lately! Remains to be seen what happens with the others! I think Sheffield could get a major push, when he's back! I think more will be done with Gabriel too! Otunga, anything that keeps him out of the ring is good for me!! That's your lot really! I only see Bryan and Barrett, as future main eventers!

Tommy Thunder
10-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Michael Tarver could have had a future IMO. He was solid in the ring, and was decent on the mic.

I'm un-decided on Skip Sheffield. I'm led to believe that Vince is high on him, so that won't harm his chances. Interested to see what they do with him when he returns.

I just can't like Darren Young. He looks like John Cena, and is solid in the ring. But for some reason I just can't get behind him.

Justin Gabriel has potential to be a bright star. But like the many cruiserweights in WWE right now, he's mainly confined to Superstars.

Heath Slater IMO has potential to e a decent heel character. He's never going to be higher than upper mid-card at best, but he's got an unique look, ok mic skills and ok in-ring ability.

David Otunga is the worst of the bunch IMO. He can't wrestle his way out of a paper bag, and contrary to what many think, I don't think he's that good with a mic either. But he won't be released because of who he is.

Wade Barrett is a future world champ to me. He's on a bit of a downer now, but I'm confident he'll be back up there. He really needs a new finisher though. The Wastelad works as a signature move, but he needs to have something better, and perhaps a submission finisher.

Daniel Bryan, like Barrett, is a future world champion. I'm not sure if he'll win it with his MITB contract, but he will win one eventually. I really want to see him go heel though. I think a heel run would be great to see.

Anyway, that's my take on the bunch.

Y2J___Y2J
10-16-2011, 06:04 PM
IMO Nexus as a stable could have been a lot better..
But Gabriel and Slater are consistently on Smackdown (mostly getting beat but still on it, I see good things ahead for Gabriel) - WIN
Darren Young.. NXT - FAIL
Skip Sheffield - Apparently in for a push but got injured.. who knows what could happen if/when he comes back - Jury's Out
Tarver - Just FAIL
Otunga - In the rebel group and on Raw each week - WIN
Daniel Bryan - MITB winner - WIN
Wade Barrett - IC champion.. Will definitely be a huge star - WIN

Nexus got 8 new guys on tv... And most of them are still there and show signs of having a bright future
Nexus = WIN

Parrot_on_ROIDS
10-16-2011, 06:47 PM
They should have given Wade the WWE title when they had the chance

Tommy Thunder
10-16-2011, 06:49 PM

I'm of this opinion too. He should have been given the title when Nexus was at it's height.

SilverGhost
10-16-2011, 10:07 PM

That would have solidified not only Barrett but the Nexus as well.

eyehatecena
10-16-2011, 10:36 PM
I have to agree with that as well. WWE really dropped the ball with Nexus- I liked where they were heading with Cena being involved with them, until of course Cena got 'fired' and came back on top. I also liked that they added Henning and Rotundo(Husky Harris) to the mix. Of course the send Rotundo back to FCW and kept Slater and Otunga. Creative just really screwed up the whole program.

As far as all the members:
Bryan Danielson and Wade Barrett have bright futures unless wwe screws up.
Gabriel- same as above...and give him some mic time-
Slater- meh, he is ok, but never see him getting a big push
Henning- they are not using him right- with the right push he could go far,
Rotundo- would be a great heel why they send him back but call up Brodus Clay instead idk
Skip- would like to see what he has to offer when he comes back
Otunga- better on the mic than in the ring. put him as an interviewer, annoucer...etc

The Hit Man
10-18-2011, 01:40 PM
It may not have played out the way it should had but The Nexus was a good thing. It gave 8 new guys a platform to work on. You had 8 guys who had only made their debut a couple of months ago main eventing one of the major PPVs. The WWE may have screwed up some stuff like not giving Barret the WWE Title, firing Tarver, splitting up Slater and Gabriel as a tag team, putting Young back on NXT and doing absolutely nothing with Bryan after winning MITB. The only person being used correctly right now is Otunga. I like that they are using his law degree as a gimmick and can be a good manager in the future who competes occasionally. I think Bryan, Barrett, Gabriel and Sheffield are all potential main eventers if used properly. As for Slater and Young, I think mid card is the limit for them. Tarver could have been really big though. Him and R-Truth would have made a great tag team!