PDA

View Full Version : Jr's Commentary Firing. Justifiable?

beatfighter3000
10-15-2011, 04:31 PM
I tried doing a search on threads about JR and came up short, so decided to make one myself
Okay, I'll admit, I'm a JR mark, I find him one of the most hilarious commentators I have ever heard around the squared circle.
But I guess in WWE's current stage, three commentators was just too much, and his presence wasn't adding very much
Michael cole's heel persona overpowered the snide remarks JR is known for, and I guess it just wasnt the same feel :(

I would have preferred Cole to just stay on Smackdown, and for Jr and King to be the two main play-by-play commentators, but we cant have everything hey?

What's your views on JR leaving the commentary team?

thejman93
10-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I have a feeling this'll all come back around once Ace is out as RAW GM and one of the first things the new GM (Foley, Trips, take your pick...) will do is "rehire" JR.

Daffy Duck's Finest
10-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Let's hope that William Regal replaces JR on commentary. That would make Raw sound better!

Automatic
10-15-2011, 05:01 PM
But I guess in WWE's current stage, three commentators was just too much, and his presence wasn't adding very much
Michael cole's heel persona overpowered the snide remarks JR is known for, and I guess it just wasnt the same feel :(

What's your views on JR leaving the commentary team?

I agree with this. I have the feeling that the 3 man booth on MNR isn't really working and add the fact that JR isn't the play-by-play commentator. With Cole being play-by-play and a heel and very present, the time for the other guys is not much. But I have the feeling that on Smackdown the 3 man booth is getting better and Cole isn't so aggressive.

TwoTone
10-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Jr and Joey Styles would be my choice. And Cole and Lawler can have their vocal cords removed

Robstar
10-15-2011, 05:53 PM
JR is sure selling it like it's real and he was legitimately surprised by it. Which makes it about the millionth time WWE has screwed JR out of a position. Firstly he was fired in '94 after his first Bell's Palsy attack (real nice WWE), he was rehired when Vince was indicted over the steroid trial only to be quickly fired again as soon as Vince was free to return. Then JR was re-hired in '95, kayfabe fired in '98, promoted to Vice President of Talent Relations (legit) a position he reportedly stepped down from due to his health & kayfabe fired again in '05.
JR claims he was not informed before his move to Smackdown in '08 and at the time came across as quite distressed about it. In '09 he asked WWE for his first day off ever to celebrate his anniversary. 7 days later, he suffers his 3rd Bell's Palsy attack. Coincidence? I doubt it. I bet Vince was riding his ass like a motherfucker over the day off and the stress lead to the attack.
Ross still worked as a consultant for talent relations before being re-hired only to be fired again 3 months later. (*yes I did wiki some of this info for details ;))

Personally, I think Ross has been over-loyal to WWE. They don't deserve him, but the wrestling world would be so much less without him. For shame WWE.

Y2J___Y2J
10-15-2011, 06:27 PM
JR will definitely be back.. As soon as Laurinitus ( not a fucking clue how to spell it ) gets fired, he'll be brought back

ihearvoices
10-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Im sorry but JR is great and all but its time for new guys to step up on commentary we cant have JR forever i think JR would be put to better use in some form backstage than on commentary at this point. As far as King go i hope they take him off commentary soon too and he can become a trainer over at FCW or something. Even tho i hate to admit it, its Micheal Cole;s time to shine just like JR had his time. Guys like Booker T can play the King Role while Josh begins to prepare to take over Micheal Cole's position when the time is right. Just like in the Ring no 1 guy should stay on top forever at some point everyone is replace and the same should be on Commentary, If your not going to replace guys in the ring or commentary then whats the whole point of training them for the position?

Russo swerve
10-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Im sorry but JR is great and all but its time for new guys to step up on commentary we cant have JR forever i think JR would be put to better use in some form backstage than on commentary at this point. As far as King go i hope they take him off commentary soon too and he can become a trainer over at FCW or something. Even tho i hate to admit it, its Micheal Cole;s time to shine just like JR had his time. Guys like Booker T can play the King Role while Josh begins to prepare to take over Micheal Cole's position when the time is right. Just like in the Ring no 1 guy should stay on top forever at some point everyone is replace and the same should be on Commentary, If your not going to replace guys in the ring or commentary then whats the whole point of training them for the position?

This^^^^^^^^

Irish Nature boy
10-15-2011, 07:34 PM
I know they have treated him like shit in the past but this screams storyline to me, im 99 per cent sure he is still employed

Robstar
10-15-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm all for moving on myself as well, I was just pointing out that WWE is a shit employer, like we didn't already know that. However, I think TNA would sign JR in a nanosecond if given the chance. The guy still has a nose for the business and WWE should be utilising him more backstage. I, for one, would love to know why Johnny Ace is so valued by Vince. Probably he's a yes man

ihearvoices
10-15-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm all for moving on myself as well, I was just pointing out that WWE is a shit employer, like we didn't already know that. However, I think TNA would sign JR in a nanosecond if given the chance. The guy still has a nose for the business and WWE should be utilising him more backstage. I, for one, would love to know why Johnny Ace is so valued by Vince. Probably he's a yes man

I think its more less Vince needs someone to take over his role on screen and lets be honest HHH cant do it right now. Johnny Ace is the perfect man to take over that role on screen. The only person who of been better for that role would of been Shane but we all know he left. As Far as WWE treating JR like shit i wont comment on it cause like all other rumors there is no hard effects to prove it and both sides wont just come out and admit the truth.

Robstar
10-15-2011, 08:15 PM
JBL would have been good since he can talk, Shane would have been good too but both of those men have left the company and apparantly have no interest in returning, though there's been rumours about JBL. I just haven't been that impressed with Ace's work thus far, as far as being an interesting and convincing character. He seems a bit like a deer in the headlights, as if he's been thrust into the position without much choice. Actually, you know what Johnny Ace makes me think of? Mick Adamle. Uh oh, I think I just nailed it ;)

ihearvoices
10-15-2011, 08:20 PM
JBL would have been good since he can talk, Shane would have been good too but both of those men have left the company and apparantly have no interest in returning, though there's been rumours about JBL. I just haven't been that impressed with Ace's work thus far, as far as being an interesting and convincing character. He seems a bit like a deer in the headlights, as if he's been thrust into the position without much choice. Actually, you know what Johnny Ace makes me think of? Mick Adamle. Uh oh, I think I just nailed it ;)

I think Johnny Ace will be just like Vince when Vince first became a on screen character, Vince was not all that good but over time he became a God. Now IDK what Johnny Ace future will be on screen but i think they may have something there and i wouldn't mind if they do a power struggle angle with the new GM who is going to replace him.

BlazersDozen
10-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Now that I look at it...I feel Ace's role was actually for JBL but WWE couldn't land him in time or something.

ihearvoices
10-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Now that I look at it...I feel Ace's role was actually for JBL but WWE couldn't land him in time or something.

I doubt it, It would of came out of nowhere also I think the GM needs someone who wrestlers can actually kick his ass similar to Vince this is why i felt HHH be COO did not fit because HHH could beat 90% ass in the ring. Johnny Ace might be able to get a few hits and moves in like Vince did but overall guys would still be able to kick his ass and people would believe it more than if it was a guy like HHH or JBW or any other vet. Mick Foley on the other hand might be able to pull it off cause he is known for getting his ass kicked and also the look of someone who anyone can just beat up lol.