PDA

View Full Version : Would you prefer your wrestling/sports entertainment with or without comedy?

URATOOL
10-15-2011, 04:30 AM
Following on from another thread where people moaned about Hornswoggle, would you rather have the WWE totally straight wrestling or sports entertainment with plenty of comedy moments, back stage skits and crazy gimmicks.

SLEEPY LOCO1
10-15-2011, 04:34 AM
I hate joke characters and joke storylines. If wrestling did away with them I wouldn't ever miss them.

URATOOL
10-15-2011, 04:34 AM
I hate joke characters and joke storylines. If wrestling did away with them I wouldn't ever miss them.

But you watch WWE?

SLEEPY LOCO1
10-15-2011, 04:38 AM
But you watch WWE?

Yes and I change the channel or take a piss break whenever Hornswoggle, Santino, or EY are on. I would rather watch HHH wrestle a broom stick then to watch 2 minutes of any of them type characters.

URATOOL
10-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Yes and I change the channel or take a piss break whenever Hornswoggle, Santino, or EY are on. I would rather watch HHH wrestle a broom stick then to watch 2 minutes of any of them type characters.

You must get through Raw or SD in about 45 mins each week.

SLEEPY LOCO1
10-15-2011, 04:50 AM
You must get through Raw or SD in about 45 mins each week.

I love my DVR!!!

alexrules01
10-15-2011, 04:59 AM
It would be worse without comedy!
Im always laughing at Cole and Booker, CM Punk also.
The Rock made his career on comedy gold.

So no, comedy must stay!

Mizfit
10-15-2011, 05:03 AM
Comedy segments are good but not when they give them to much screen time like when Hornswoggle was Cruiser champ

Super Kicked
10-15-2011, 05:03 AM
I prefer a proper balance, and no, I don't mean 50/50. I don't mind one comedy match/act but I don't want them anywhere near the titles or anything like that. Using Santino to get the live crowd into it seems wise.

But I will tell you what I do hate, when you are watching a serious angle and the wrestler tries to put another one down with a your momma style joke. The joke never seems to land and it is almost always followed by that wonderful uncomfortable silence.

SLEEPY LOCO1
10-15-2011, 05:04 AM
It would be worse without comedy!
Im always laughing at Cole and Booker, CM Punk also.
The Rock made his career on comedy gold.

So no, comedy must stay!

I'm not talking about getting rid of comedy, only joke characters and joke storylines.

Y2J___Y2J
10-15-2011, 05:10 AM
It's good to have some comedy..

Polly-Pablo
10-15-2011, 06:25 AM
If you want straight wrestling, that's what promotions such as ROH are for.

WWE doesn't lie about their product...it's in the title World Wrestling ENTERTAINMENT....so without the skits and promos etc, it wouldn't be an entertainment show and they would have to change their name or risk being sued for lies.....

I like the entertainment side, that's why I watch it. I also watch ROH...because I am a fan of wrestling.

printz1224
10-15-2011, 07:46 AM
Comic relief is a staple in any entertainment programming. I'm all for it. There are times I feel it could be dialed back a LOT (dance-offs are just painful to watch) but I enjoy it nonetheless. Santino just cracks me the hell up.

benchch
10-15-2011, 07:59 AM
http://youtu.be/GTScoVhPu34

Booker and Goldust were hilarious. Angle's always had hilarious moments. No one can compete with santino but really I think he's too good at it and it stops him from actually being realized as a decent wrestler.

Ban Hornswoggle from comedy. Give him a real feud with someone like Mason Ryan. Because his character needs to develop now that leprechaun bs is played out.

I like comedy in wrestling just It can get tiring when its shoved down your face. Not the same running joke for like 4 years.

Dr. Death
10-15-2011, 09:58 AM

^^^This^^^

VanHooliganX
10-15-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm not talking about getting rid of comedy, only joke characters and joke storylines.

Don't worry. I understand what you put and agree with you.

BlazersDozen
10-15-2011, 10:08 AM
I like the comedy but I don't like the cheap/corny comedy that the WWE seems to love for some reason. I like the comedy of the wrestlers being themselves & roasting eachother on the mics or something like embarrassing another wrestler to build a fued or another guy's character but cheap comedy just makes me vomit & turns me off from the product.

Asherdelampyr
10-15-2011, 10:09 AM
The reason I don't watch that much MMA is because it is just repetitive, I think wrestling would get that way too without the comedy and nonsensical stuff.
Also, look at the Attitude era, which gave us such moments such as
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2J9u8E6fS1M/hqdefault.jpg
Comedy has been intertwined with profession wrestling for so long that I think they are inseperable now, and I am happy about it

K2Jelly
10-15-2011, 10:23 AM
I don't mind surrealism but as long as it's not taken too far and it interferes with the common sense that makes a storyline or a feud work.

Jags
10-15-2011, 10:43 AM
I think it's better with some comedy in it, gives it some variety.

Has to be humour in general and not for a certain group, (to) many including myself don't like Hornswoggle. I think Santino, CM Punk, Triple H and Christian are pretty funny.

Rich Cranium
10-15-2011, 10:51 AM
^^^This^^^

Well, that ^ sure is a detailed answer!

On topic: I think some comedy with the keyword being some is great. As Polly said:

If you want straight wrestling, that's what promotions such as ROH are for.

Dr. Death
10-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Well, that ^ sure is a detailed answer!

On topic: I think some comedy with the keyword being some is great. As Polly said:

If, instead of trolling, you took the time to READ,( and understand what your reading ), you would've saw that I was agreeing to Y2J___Y2J's post. Hence that is why I quoted it, but of course you knew that already, you just wanted to troll to try to get me upset or for me to respond in a negative way. If you REALLY want a detailed answer just ask for one. I believe the thread was "Would you prefer your wrestling/sports entertainment with or without comedy?", not give a detailed answer as to why you agree or disagree with comedy in wrestling/sports entertainment. Don't try to be smart with me, you'll just hurt yourself.

K2Jelly
10-15-2011, 11:23 AM
If, instead of trolling, you took the time to READ,( and understand what your reading ), you would've saw that I was agreeing to Y2J___Y2J's post. Hence that is why I quoted it, but of course you knew that already, you just wanted to troll to try to get me upset or for me to respond in a negative way. If you REALLY want a detailed answer just ask for one. I believe the thread was "Would you prefer your wrestling/sports entertainment with or without comedy?", not give a detailed answer as to why you agree or disagree with comedy in wrestling/sports entertainment. Don't try to be smart with me, you'll just hurt yourself.

He wasn't being serious. That's just RC horsing around as usual.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Comedy is ok but only in moderation. Maximum of one segment per main show, is about the limit of it for me. Nothing wrong with a bit of comic relief, although it does take the piss when some comedy bits, last twice as long as Diva's matches!! (I know some of you think of Diva's matches as comedy segments!! Thought I get that in first :p)

Asherdelampyr
10-15-2011, 11:29 AM
I think it's better with some comedy in it, gives it some variety.

Has to be humour in general and not for a certain group, (to) many including myself don't like Hornswoggle. I think Santino, CM Punk, Triple H and Christian are pretty funny.

I like Horny, though I do see what you are saying
I think it is all part of WWE's scattershot approach to entertainment, they manage to find several different demos to tune in with it though, so I think it works.
besides, Horny got a huge pop at the last WWE house show I was at, so he is doing something right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3hpKtaxu5I&feature=related

Rich Cranium
10-15-2011, 11:37 AM

^^^This^^^ Don't take life so serious.

Dr. Death
10-15-2011, 11:39 AM

I didn't realize RC was joking around. My bad, also my apologies to RC and everyone else. It's been a long night and too early of a morning for me today. Sometimes I take myself and others too seriously. I'm really sorry if I started something that I shouldn't have.

THE HEARTBREAK KID
10-15-2011, 11:50 AM

^^ THIS ^^

Comedy works in wrestling, but comedy is not watching hornswoggle every week, so im glad that seems too have stopped :) but yh nothing wrong with comedy as DX used too show,

Rich Cranium
10-15-2011, 11:54 AM
^^ THIS ^^

Comedy works in wrestling, but comedy is not watching hornswoggle every week, so im glad that seems too have stopped :) but yh nothing wrong with comedy as DX used too show,

Yeah as long as they keep it under control, there is nothing wrong with comedy.

CrowOfMurders
10-15-2011, 01:32 PM
I miss the actual GOOD comedy segments of the old days, and I'm not limiting it to just the attitude era. I think 'Tool and Asher' are big fans of hornswoggle type stuff,and I don't think a backstage segment with stupid eyerolling stuff is that bad. I think kids particularly enjoy stuff like that and it is a PGfriendly show. I just hate that it's SOO dumbed down,they have to walk on eggshells with everything they say. I think Cole is hilarious cuz he's constantly pushing the envelope with his heel character and gets away with alot(anal bleeding) I hate how Jerry Lawler can't even say "shit" if he wants but needs to refrain to saying manure 0_0 All the guys mentioned so far were amazing,Angle,Rock,Jericho,,Mick Foley,BookerT hell even Austin at times. My alltime favorites were Edge and Christian tho,I don't think that magical team can ever be duplicated.

I think the criticism for guys like Hornswoggle is that it's so inanely childist and immature. They can keep around some dumb goofy stuff and sometimes it works across the board,but the writers really need to step up and have some REALLY funny ass stuff that adults can enjoy. The perfect balance would be able to incorporate both. I don't think they need to make it a totally kids show,and honestly they can do adult oriented stuff that kids don't even notice. Watching alot of sitcoms I grew up with now,I realize there was so much innuendo and adult material I never understood as a child,and I find really funny now,so I think they could pull off pushing it with some racy humor with the right guys.

Los Conquistador
10-15-2011, 01:41 PM
The guys themselves can be funny when they want
Ryder, Punk and Foley to name a few have all proven amusing by themselves

The writers however all suck
and are not funny no matter how hard they try

a message to all wwe writers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QGgvDejEiI

Asherdelampyr
10-15-2011, 01:45 PM
I miss the actual GOOD comedy segments of the old days, and I'm not limiting it to just the attitude era. I think 'Tool and Asher' are big fans of hornswoggle type stuff,and I don't think a backstage segment with stupid eyerolling stuff is that bad. I think kids particularly enjoy stuff like that and it is a PGfriendly show. I just hate that it's SOO dumbed down,they have to walk on eggshells with everything they say. I think Cole is hilarious cuz he's constantly pushing the envelope with his heel character and gets away with alot(anal bleeding) I hate how Jerry Lawler can't even say "shit" if he wants but needs to refrain to saying manure 0_0 All the guys mentioned so far were amazing,Angle,Rock,Jericho,,Mick Foley,BookerT hell even Austin at times. My alltime favorites were Edge and Christian tho,I don't think that magical team can ever be duplicated.

I think the criticism for guys like Hornswoggle is that it's so inanely childist and immature. They can keep around some dumb goofy stuff and sometimes it works across the board,but the writers really need to step up and have some REALLY funny ass stuff that adults can enjoy. The perfect balance would be able to incorporate both. I don't think they need to make it a totally kids show,and honestly they can do adult oriented stuff that kids don't even notice. Watching alot of sitcoms I grew up with now,I realize there was so much innuendo and adult material I never understood as a child,and I find really funny now,so I think they could pull off pushing it with some racy humor with the right guys.

I can see that, like I said before, I think Horny is a symptom of WWE trying to appeal to as many different types as possible

as for me, I am a fan of all comedy really from the sophisticated to the sophomoric.

URATOOL
10-15-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't mind surrealism but as long as it's not taken too far and it interferes with the common sense that makes a storyline or a feud work.

Which shows are you watching????????

URATOOL
10-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Comedy is ok but only in moderation. Maximum of one segment per main show, is about the limit of it for me. Nothing wrong with a bit of comic relief, although it does take the piss when some comedy bits, last twice as long as Diva's matches!! (I know some of you think of Diva's matches as comedy segments!! Thought I get that in first :p)

You'd like a strictly regimented comedy allowance every episode. Yep. That'll flow well!!!

As for the comedy bits lasting twice the length of the diva's matches I would suggest the problem is more with the length of the divas matches rather than the length of the comedy bit.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-15-2011, 04:35 PM
You'd like a strictly regimented comedy allowance every episode. Yep. That'll flow well!!!

As for the comedy bits lasting twice the length of the diva's matches I would suggest the problem is more with the length of the divas matches rather than the length of the comedy bit.

Nope, I just meant don't get to the point where comedy segments take up more and more time! Since when did flow matter to 'creative?'

With the Diva's matches, that was my point!!!

TelkEvolon
10-15-2011, 11:07 PM
GOOD comedy, not lame characters & angles.

Nothing wrong with mixing some fun matches in with all the rest. "Variety is the spice of life"

URATOOL
10-16-2011, 12:13 AM
GOOD comedy, not lame characters & angles.

Nothing wrong with mixing some fun matches in with all the rest. "Variety is the spice of life"

Are you aware just how hard it would be to write comedy for up to 6 hours worth of shows a week! Just be glad that they get as much as they do right.

Androo
10-16-2011, 12:20 AM
There's ALOT of comedy in wrestling, I pretty much laugh everytime I watch some. Although I don't think the people involved intended it so. LOLTNA LOLWWE!

IrkenInvader
10-16-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't mind the comedy as in the wrestlers cracking jokes but I hate Hornswoggle and Santino.

TelkEvolon
10-16-2011, 01:08 AM
Are you aware just how hard it would be to write comedy for up to 6 hours worth of shows a week! Just be glad that they get as much as they do right.

Good lord, I don't want 6 hours of comedy, like one funny match or angle, just something to break up all the drama.

Pumpkinhead
10-16-2011, 11:12 AM
More wrestling with some comedy moments, you can't have all comedy show