PDA

View Full Version : Singles Titles . . .

Gazza010
10-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Afternoon good people,

Something has just crossed my mind about the single titles in WWE.

At the moment, all the singles titles available are held by heels, we have . .

WWE Champion: Alberto Del Rio
World Heavyweight Champion: Mark Henry
US Champion: Dolph Ziggler
Intercontinental Champion: Cody Rhodes
Divas Champion: Beth Phoenix

Now a couple of questions pop to mind . .

1) Has there ever been another time when literally every singles title was held by a heel at the same time?
2) And does anyone have any theories why this has come to pass?

Personally, I think WWE have lacked credible heels for a long time, and now I feel they are trying to give them as much exposure as possible to build them up

I look forward to your view . . .

G

jelle1809
10-10-2011, 09:15 AM
It's not because of the lacking heel talents, it's just lacking of WWE creative team..

steveorton
10-10-2011, 09:21 AM
I agree with you that the WWE are using the single titles to establish credible heels who can feud with the 3 big faces: Orton, Cena and Punk. With the exception of Christian and the Miz there isn't any well estblished heel who has been in the business for a long period of time. Wrt the 3 big faces WWE needs to change one of those guys to heel or change John Morrison.

On a side note this is what is wrong with the WWE ADr has been in the business what 1 year and he's already a 2-time WWE champion just riduculous if you ask me and a spit in the face of the former greats who have held that title.

68wPayne
10-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Faces are better when they are chasing the titles from the heels IMO.

68wPayne
10-10-2011, 09:29 AM
I agree with you that the WWE are using the single titles to establish credible heels who can feud with the 3 big faces: Orton, Cena and Punk. With the exception of Christian and the Miz there isn't any well estblished heel who has been in the business for a long period of time. Wrt the 3 big faces WWE needs to change one of those guys to heel or change John Morrison.

On a side note this is what is wrong with the WWE ADr has been in the business what 1 year and he's already a 2-time WWE champion just riduculous if you ask me and a spit in the face of the former greats who have held that title.

Gotta disagree with your side note being a disgrace to people. ADR may be new to WWE but he has been in the game for a while and is a 2nd generation guy. I think WWE is trying to add credibility to their title by letting people from all over hold it. Used to be only Americans and Canadians (and a faux-Japanese in Yokozuna even though he was American) held the title, but recently we have added Irish and Mexican to the list. I think Sheamus held it too soon. His title reign irked me more than Alberto's because Alberto at least had won Royal Rumble and Money in the Bank to earn his shots, Sheamus really didn't do anything but some out and say "Hey fella, gimme a shot"

steveorton
10-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Gotta disagree with your side note being a disgrace to people. ADR may be new to WWE but he has been in the game for a while and is a 2nd generation guy. I think WWE is trying to add credibility to their title by letting people from all over hold it. Used to be only Americans and Canadians (and a faux-Japanese in Yokozuna even though he was American) held the title, but recently we have added Irish and Mexican to the list. I think Sheamus held it too soon. His title reign irked me more than Alberto's because Alberto at least had won Royal Rumble and Money in the Bank to earn his shots, Sheamus really didn't do anything but some out and say "Hey fella, gimme a shot"

I agree Sheamus didn't do anything for the title and I didn't like both of his title runs. However atm I wouldn't mind seeing him as WHC because he has earned some credibility through feuds and fights with HHH, Morrison, Henry, Kofi, Bryan, becoming KOTR, etc.

Same goes for ADR why couldn't they put the US title on him first, let him feud with the likes of Morrison, Kofi, Bourne, Bryan, maybe some main event stars clean wins build him up, test the waters and then let him win the RR or MITB in 2012 and become champion. Not just drop the title on him. Imo Ziggler should have won the WWE champion instead of ADR this year, he's much better in the ring, has charima and is average on the mic. We've seen him in various feuds with Edge, Mysterio, Khali, etc and he has looked good imo.

68wPayne
10-10-2011, 10:02 AM
I agree Sheamus didn't do anything for the title and I didn't like both of his title runs. However atm I wouldn't mind seeing him as WHC because he has earned some credibility through feuds and fights with HHH, Morrison, Henry, Kofi, Bryan, becoming KOTR, etc.

Same goes for ADR why couldn't they put the US title on him first, let him feud with the likes of Morrison, Kofi, Bourne, Bryan, maybe some main event stars clean wins build him up, test the waters and then let him win the RR or MITB in 2012 and become champion. Not just drop the title on him. Imo Ziggler should have won the WWE champion instead of ADR this year, he's much better in the ring, has charima and is average on the mic. We've seen him in various feuds with Edge, Mysterio, Khali, etc and he has looked good imo.

I would love to see Ziggler in ADR's spot, but at the same time I love that Ziggler is trying to bring credibility back to a midcard title. I honestly am happy either way because I like ADR. I think he is good in the ring, good on the mic, and his character is great (although I think it's Ricardo Rodriguez that makes the gimmick work, not ADR). Before the CM Punk push rumors came about I was hoping that this would lead to a Ziggler face turn and main event push.

CrowOfMurders
10-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Afternoon good people,

1) Has there ever been another time when literally every singles title was held by a heel at the same time?

Personally, I think WWE have lacked credible heels for a long time, and now I feel they are trying to give them as much exposure as possible to build them up

G

Don't worry it's just a couple of weeks til the next ppv when John Cena will take it off ADR again. What'll blow me away is if someone other than Orton beats Henry, like Cody Rhodes in a heel vs. heel match and become a dual champ. Women's title doesnt matter. Ziggler might turn face,and he's not really defending it or it might go to Riley. Also,its only singles titles,the tag titles are held by faces,so its not really a phenomenon til EVERY title is held by a face or heel for a long period of time.

steveorton
10-10-2011, 10:15 AM
I would love to see Ziggler in ADR's spot, but at the same time I love that Ziggler is trying to bring credibility back to a midcard title. I honestly am happy either way because I like ADR. I think he is good in the ring, good on the mic, and his character is great (although I think it's Ricardo Rodriguez that makes the gimmick work, not ADR). Before the CM Punk push rumors came about I was hoping that this would lead to a Ziggler face turn and main event push.

Yes he is bringing credibility to that title I don't know about the face turn but change is good. I like him and have become so acustomed to him being heel #Heel.

I can't wait for the day when WWE crowns Cody Rhodes and Dolph Zigger as World Champions. I hope it's at Wrestlemania because both guys have earned that right imo :)

BlazersDozen
10-10-2011, 10:18 AM

I disagree with the ADR thing. I doubt the general audience (everyone outside the IWC) knows ADR as Dos Caras, Jr. I think he should've held a midcard belt before the WWE title. At least the IC for a bit. He hasn't even had any HUGE fueds. All I remember is him & Rey & one with Show. Sheamus at least was launched by Triple H, but I agree, he got it far too quickly. I do like that they are putting belts on guys from outside the states as it will help recruiting truely the best WORLD WIDE talent, but they need to build them up correctly first. Idc who came to WWE, he needs to be built up like nobody knows who he is. That's the problem with TNA. They throw the belt on someone new that came from another company ASAP. It wasn't long ago that guys had to hold midcard titles before holding a world title...get back to that plz!

steveorton
10-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Don't worry it's just a couple of weeks til the next ppv when John Cena will take it off ADR again. What'll blow me away is if someone other than Orton beats Henry, like Cody Rhodes in a heel vs. heel match and become a dual champ. Women's title doesnt matter. Ziggler might turn face,and he's not really defending it or it might go to Riley. Also,its only singles titles,the tag titles are held by faces,so its not really a phenomenon til EVERY title is held by a face or heel for a long period of time.

If Cena wins that title again at the next ppv I would be pissed I am fed-up with the WWE championship changing hands every ppv.

cancron
10-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Didn't DX have all the singles titles at once while they were heels? HW and Euro on HBK and IC on HHH?

Also The Hart Foundation had all the singles at once and the Tag titles.

It's the WWE's way of making the bad guys in general look more powerful.

68wPayne
10-10-2011, 10:25 AM
I just long for the day when Wade Barrett wins the title. Oh it will be glorious.

And didn't Evolution hold all the titles as well, and NWO in their heyday

68wPayne
10-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Added to that, Triple Threat in ECW Shane Douglas with the World, Candido with half of the Tag, and Bam Bam with the TV

BlazersDozen
10-10-2011, 10:27 AM
I just long for the day when Wade Barrett wins the title. Oh it will be glorious.

And didn't Evolution hold all the titles as well, and NWO in their heyday

Evolution with all the gold was awesome!

wrestlingfan66513
10-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Afternoon good people,

G

During Evolution all the titles on Raw were held by heels. Not sure about Smackdown though.

A.Graham
10-10-2011, 11:03 AM
To be fair they all deserve their titles.

SkilletBoi
10-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Weather this helps anything or not, I just say give Yoshi Tatsu a belt.

SDR
10-10-2011, 11:30 AM

I like your comment about Ricardo Rodriguez, they are both great though, some of Alberto's best/funniest lines are spoken in Spanish. I would really like to see is Ricardo in better shape and given an opportunity to wrestle, because as Chimera he is pretty awesome. I appreciated seeing all of the champions actually wearing the titles around their waist on Smackdown. I think Dolph and Cody are definitely the future and don't mind seeing their gradual rise to the top, they are already there now. It seems like Miz and R-Truth will be the tag team champions.

68wPayne
10-10-2011, 11:38 AM
It would be great to see Ricardo in a newly renovated Cruiserweight division if they ever did do that. I can picture training montages and with ADR laughing at him like it's a joke, then out of nowhere Ricardo does his luchador stuff and ADR's jaw hits the floor

Y2J___Y2J
10-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Most of the time.. Most of the titles are held by heels..
It's always like that.. it makes better tv to have the face chasing the heel.. and makes it better when they do get the win

Mikeyboy7777777
10-10-2011, 12:19 PM
the heels will never become credible unless they get a credible win over sheamus randy orton john cena or the big show or all four of them.

SDR
10-10-2011, 12:59 PM
It would be great to see Ricardo in a newly renovated Cruiserweight division if they ever did do that. I can picture training montages and with ADR laughing at him like it's a joke, then out of nowhere Ricardo does his luchador stuff and ADR's jaw hits the floor

I don't know why WWE is holding off on a Cruiserweight division, that could be a logical PG (give the kids something to really get into) group of wrestlers. They have the talent, it is just a matter of creative acknowledging that these smaller guys could have amazing matches that would get people talking. Just imagine Tyson Kidd being the Cruiserweight champion wrestling someone like Evan Bourne or how much either of the Sin Caras would improve with the smaller performers who are more coordinated.

68wPayne
10-10-2011, 01:12 PM
I don't know why WWE is holding off on a Cruiserweight division, that could be a logical PG (give the kids something to really get into) group of wrestlers. They have the talent, it is just a matter of creative acknowledging that these smaller guys could have amazing matches that would get people talking. Just imagine Tyson Kidd being the Cruiserweight champion wrestling someone like Evan Bourne or how much either of the Sin Caras would improve with the smaller performers who are more coordinated.

The crop of smaller talent is really booming but there is no place for them. Tyson Kidd, Yoshi Tatsu, Justin Gabriel, Ricardo Rodriguez, Sin Cara, Hunico, Evan Bourne, Primo, John Morrison, plus I know there are several in FCW and it would give them a place to go, or at least get a match in against someone.

xAzureSkye
10-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Didn't DX have all the singles titles at once while they were heels? HW and Euro on HBK and IC on HHH?

Jacqueline was the Womens champion at the time and was face

AOF666
10-10-2011, 03:38 PM
WWE has been burying all their heels since they went pg. They didn't nake it out that they were a credible threat. Turning Cena and Orton into Super Heroes made it even worse. Now they are trying to make them a credible threat. Even now, they usually loose all their matches. They think by having them attacking someone after the match will help. Look what they did with Del Rio, Cena completely bury him in his promo. He called him a fraud and a coward, beats him for the title. Then WWE tried to make Del Rio a threat for Hell in a Cell. Honestly I thought he didn't have a chance to win!