PDA

View Full Version : Devils Advocate #2: Daniel Bryan

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Devil's Advocate: someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position he or she does not necessarily agree with, just for the sake of argument.

Luckily, here on this forum the amount of intelligent fans out-weigh the trolls. Every Wednesday, I am going to post a topic and regardless how you feel you must make your case for that stance I give. I think it will be something different and give everyone an opportunity to open their minds and opinions. Some weeks you may have to argue for or against your favorite wrestler, promotion, or whatever but that's all in the fun of it. Even if you do not agree with the position, argue in that direction anyway. The concept may tank, but at least I am trying to keep it fresh.

Topic #2: Daniel Bryan and the Money In The Bank Case
It looked as if Daniel Bryan was on the rise after he won his first big match and won the most powerful thing in today's WWE, the Money In The Bank Case. In it's history, every person who has cashed in the case has walked off with the strap. Since winning the case, Bryan has been anything but special. He has been pushed to the back-burner, so to say, getting jumped by one of the Sin Caras and more notably had a dark match on HIAC... With claims of cashing it in at WM, the WWE is doing absolutely nothing to elevate his character thus far to make me believe it. What will happen to Daniel Bryan?

The side you must support: That Daniel Bryan will be in a match for the World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania

Thanks all for their participation!

Asherdelampyr
10-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Ok... here goes

I believe that Daniel Bryan will have a WHC match at Wrestlemania 28

He will be the 2nd MITB winner to cash in his briefcase the "honorable" way, the first being RVD who got a win over John Cena to win his title

They will probably have him face Christian at that point, since he is still the top heel, and Mark Henry is more of a "flavor of the month" champ than a long lasting type. Christian is the right size, and has the technical ability to put on a great match with Daniel Bryan, win or lose.

Sure they are burying him now, it's almost like a variation of the old KOTR curse. However WM is some time off, so they have plenty of time to build him up as a credible contender.

The fans want to cheer Daniel Bryan, he is another "King of the Indys" and has HBK and William Regal's seal of approval, with the recent rise of CM Punk, WWE has shown that they are willing to reconsider their previous unofficial stance of burying anyone who dared make a name for themselves outside of the WWE machine. The fans want them, and I am sure that Vince can almost smell the potential revenue, based off of how well Punk's merch has been selling.

AOF666
10-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I think last time it was support for Daniel Bryan. I like to play devil advocate myself. In reality I will put it simple. It comes down it is not what the WWE can do for the talents. It is what the talents can do for the WWE. The real question should be what can Daniel Bryan do for the WWE?

Automatic
10-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Just wait until the road to WrestleMania.

Marx
10-06-2011, 03:50 PM
I sometimes dream that Undertaker returns and issues a challenge: one last opponent for the 20-0, retirement match. Someone (Triple H?) accepts the challenge, but somewhere after the Rumble Bryan cuts a promo saying honor (please let him shake Takers hand ROH style before the match) and a last chance to face Undertaker at Mania means more to him than a title shot (the title will be there next year), and that he wants HHH's spot.

They could even throw in Shawn Michaels as a manager for Daniel Bryan, being his old trainer, Undertaker's nemesis, and though I love Bryan, he could use Michaels' charisma.

Would be a triple win: Bryan gets a legendary mania moment, the first MITB-winner does not win the title (they should break that duck, and this is a honorable way to do it, screw someone that's not Daniel Bryan over the next time), and Undertaker gets a decent feud and match whilst Sheamus (the other possible opponent for Undertaker) remains free for the smackdown title match.

Would you guys like to see this, or do I stand alone?

Edit: my number one choice against Undertaker would be Kane in a double retirement match. But that will never happen, so I think about other Taker possibilities and I'd also love to see this happen. Added this slightly off topic comment to defend my honor as consistent but willing to compromise thinker :p.

Y2Jryder
10-06-2011, 04:09 PM
I really don't like the idea to have 2 MITB-winners every freaking year.
It surprised me they let Bryan win the MITB match.
But after he won the WWE should immediately built up his character. It's a shame they didn't do that and now he is losing to some midcarders like Sin Cara. They only let him win against Slater, what the hell? (bookers voice).

I'm looking forward to what they are going to do with him, the worst scenario is that they let him lose his briefcase or something like that.

Yano88
10-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Maybe WWE wants to turn him in the new Benoit or something...

I remember that nobody believed in Benoit winning the rumble AND the championship at 'mania.

Maybe WWE wants to build Bryan as a guy who will appear as not having a chance to win but then he will do the impossible and will achieve his dream...

Just a theroy....

AgeoftheFallguy
10-06-2011, 05:03 PM
I started a thread on the smackdown page after hes been off TV the last 2 weeks. I can understand not having him be in main events and story lines but he should at lest be on the G-d damn show. He was on Raw for a hole 30 secs during the walkout and he didn't even have his briefcase unlike the other Champs who carry their belts whenever they come out. I know its pretty early but I don't ever recall Edge, Rio, Punk, Miz whoever else falling off the map like they are doing to Danielson.

Necroyeti
10-06-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm just going to copy and paste something I read on another site by an anonymous dude... more some "food for thought" insight than an actual counter-argument.

-----

This is 1993 all over again.

Bret Hart (Daniel Bryan) wins the summertime King of the Ring (Money in the Bank) then proceeds to get dragged down in a shitty feud with Lawler and Doink (get outsmarted by evil Sin Cara). Fans didn't really get super invested in Bret's race to the top until Owen turned on him -- at the Royal Rumble.

Meanwhile, big muscular sensation Lex Luger (Sheamus) used to be a pretty good bad guy, but not really shining like he should. Then he shows up on the Intrepid ("I'll fight 'em") and suddenly the crowd loves him cause he takes out Yokozuna (Mark Henry).

Meanwhile, the big fat sumo (WSM) starts banzai'ing (World's Strongest Slamming) the shit out of everyone, crushing the reign of Hulkamania (Ortonmania) and toppling the Undertaker (Big Show, Kane, probably Undertaker).

It's not too late to get D-Bry in place.

For another point of reference, do you know what Benoit was doing in the lead up to Royal Rumble 2004: losing a 4-way at Summerslam and then wrestling fucking A-Train at the October PPV.

Poot-Hair
10-06-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm just going to copy and paste something I read on another site by an anonymous dude... more some "food for thought" insight than an actual counter-argument.

-----

This is 1993 all over again.

Bret Hart (Daniel Bryan) wins the summertime King of the Ring (Money in the Bank) then proceeds to get dragged down in a shitty feud with Lawler and Doink (get outsmarted by evil Sin Cara). Fans didn't really get super invested in Bret's race to the top until Owen turned on him -- at the Royal Rumble.

Meanwhile, big muscular sensation Lex Luger (Sheamus) used to be a pretty good bad guy, but not really shining like he should. Then he shows up on the Intrepid ("I'll fight 'em") and suddenly the crowd loves him cause he takes out Yokozuna (Mark Henry).

Meanwhile, the big fat sumo (WSM) starts banzai'ing (World's Strongest Slamming) the shit out of everyone, crushing the reign of Hulkamania (Ortonmania) and toppling the Undertaker (Big Show, Kane, probably Undertaker).

It's not too late to get D-Bry in place.

For another point of reference, do you know what Benoit was doing in the lead up to Royal Rumble 2004: losing a 4-way at Summerslam and then wrestling fucking A-Train at the October PPV.

^^^^this^^^^ Daniel Bryan will get his WM match, and it'll most likely be one of two people that he get's it with. 1. Randy Orton or 2. Sheamus. This is purely my opinion though. I just figured these two are the most likely because Orton is ALWAYS champ or Sheamus and D-bry had a dark match last year's Wrestlemania so this may be the time for both of them to get a good match in. Either way I'd like to see Danielson win the big one

Wade Barrett 1979
10-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I think people just forget how looooong it is, until Wrestlemania!! Things can happen quickly in the 'E,' they still have 6 months yet!! Plenty of building time for DB!!

CrowOfMurders
10-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Daniel Bryan WILL wrestle @ wrestlemania in the main event. His burial now means absolutely nothing. Even ADR's MITB cash-in and subsequent victory has fizzled out,his 1st title reign ended in a month,lost it to Cena,won @ HITC and will probably lose it again soon. Bryan is better off not being put through shenanigans with the title,and doesn't need to be in the main event right now. His losing streak creates an interesting "will he/won't he" atmosphere to his title match and at the very least, fans can doubt whether the MITB winner WILL always win the match. He will put on a fantastic match(most likely with Orton or Sheamus) Hell,maybe even Barrett might have the title by then. He will probably lose the wrestlemania match but is definitely a future world champion.

Peter Kaymakcian
10-06-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't just answer this yes or no because of one huge variable in John Cena vs The Rock. Now here is my opinion if Cena doesn't have the title while facing the Rock then yes Bryan will wrestle at Wrestlemania, however if Cena does have the WWE Championship then I just don't see Bryan headlining Wrestlemania. I mean you have the Royal Rumble winner with a lot of legitimate Wrestlemania main eventers in Sheamus, Christian, Randy Orton, Punk(who could crossover to Smackdown!), the Miz, ADR, and last, but certainly not least Rhodes. I put Rhodes in their because the RR has been known for guys' breakout pushes like ADR, Benoit, Batista, Cena, Mysterio, and Eddie Guerrero.

Side Note: Relax guys Punk isn't getting buried because on the off chance Cena vs Rock isn't for the title Bryan still in my opinion has a guaranteed title shot. Six months is plenty of time for a comeback.