PDA

View Full Version : Idea to get the new IC title more prestigious

machoo mann
10-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Since Cody Rhodes has introduced the new IC (old skool) belt there's been high hopes that the new IC title will be added more prestige and will make the wrestler look like a legitimate champion. Now when Orton lost to Henry again, why not get him go after Cody and have Mark fued with some other SD! wrestler (Big Show, Sheamus).

The idea is that aslong Henry is defending the title against whoever, he doesn't need the uppercard/second main event spot on PPV's. If SmackDowns WHC match spot would be given to Cody against Orton/someone established for the IC title, that would add some prestige to the title. And now with the brand switcharoonie I really don't think theres need for two major titles, WWE championship would do just fine. It would be like a blast from the past when IC title was up there with WWE's major belts. Give your thoughts and opinions

The Hit Man
10-05-2011, 08:08 AM
I too would like to see the WHC and WWE belts unified but I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon. There's talk of Orton and Rhodes working a program. What I would do is have Orton win the title back. While Orton pursues the WHC, Rhodes is constanly beating anyone who challenges him for the IC title, making him a more credible champion. Then at Royal Rumble have Rhodes go up against for the WHC in a champion v champion match. I wouldn't have Rhodes win the title but still having the IC champion in the main event at a main PPV is a big deal. Have Rhodes keep the title all the way till WM and put someone over as by that time he will have enough credability himself to put someone else over as credible IC champion. My pick would be Ted DiBiase.

Dr. Death
10-05-2011, 08:09 AM
I agree that Cody vs Orton for the IC Championship would be awesome. This would generate a lot of ratings for the WWE and SmackDown. Sheamus winning against Christian should put him above Orton since Orton lost twice now to Henry. But Big Show will probably get the next shot at the WHC. I could also see a Cody Rhodes vs Sheamus vs Randy Orton triple threat match for the IC Belt.

CrowOfMurders
10-05-2011, 08:14 AM
You make some good points,a fresh new(or old skool in this case) look for the IC title is an interesting take,and hopefully it's a sign of the times and an indication of the title becoming important again. I also think having a former world champ feuding with Rhodes is also a great idea. You've had many main eventers go back go the IC and US title and not lose a step or any main event sizzle.

Whether Orton is the guy to do it is a touchy issue. One the one hand,I've really been impressed with Orton's work ethic and his willingness to put over and work with guys like Christian,Henry,Rhodes and Sheamus, it shows a great deal of maturity in him and gives his character alot more depth and respect,something missing from others(*ahem*CENA) so maybe he wouldn't be bad in a feud with Rhodes,they definitely have good in-ring chemistry.
On the other hand,I think Orton's reached that level where he doesn't need to be in the title picture. He had 2 matches with Henry,now the Conspiracy storyline seems to be the highest priority, I think Orton should feature more prominently in that storyline rather than dominate another title. The look of the title is another issue,its a beautiful belt but looks a little too gawdy for Orton,especially with his badass viper image,maybe a Morrison push on Smackdown against Cody would work? The belt would look good on Del Rio as well,with his all white attire. I also think having the IC title as a major belt again would be awesome. I dunno,maybe he can take the belt off Rhodes,then lose it @ the next PPV in an awesome ladder match or something,isn't TLC coming up?

PHENOMINAL ENIGMA
10-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Not Reallly on the subject but i think they should keep the ball rolling & bring in the 90's tag belts & WWE titles

SDR
10-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Maybe this resurrection of IC championship and holding onto it for a while (without using the mask) will help bring value back to the titles while also building credibility for Rhodes as contender for the WHC.

tupelojoe81
10-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Not Reallly on the subject but i think they should keep the ball rolling & bring in the 90's tag belts & WWE titles

Tag belts for sure.The 90's tag belts were just awesome. The WWE spinner belt is a money maker, so I dont think they will get rid of it for the winged eagle anytime soon.

machoo mann
10-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Tag belts for sure.The 90's tag belts were just awesome. The WWE spinner belt is a money maker, so I dont think they will get rid of it for the winged eagle anytime soon.

tag belts were badass back then, besides I really don't get the current belts..I can't really see that WWE championship is getting rid off, even CM Punk didn't change the design although he sweared to.

steveorton
10-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Cody Rhodes is just simply amazing. As many posters said I want to see Rhodes vs Orton for the IC title at Venegance. They already have something going and if WWE would just push for this I think they can steal the show at that ppv. I just hope Rhodes retain because he slowly bringing back meaning to that title. As COM said having a main event guy feud for this title adds prestige to it.

wrestlingfan66513
10-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Roodes is said to have a match with Booker T at Vengeance. It was on the news boards a while ago but we will see if it happens. There are not to many faces on Smackdown for him to feud with though.

Y2J___Y2J
10-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Orton vs Cody for IC title.. could be very good.. it would definitely bring some prestige to the title.. and help get Cody over

tupelojoe81
10-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Orton vs Cody for IC title.. could be very good.. it would definitely bring some prestige to the title.. and help get Cody over

wow, i have never thought about Orton vs Rhodes for the IC belt.......you guys are on to something there. If Randy could help put Cody over, yes prestige would be back to the IC belt.

The_Awesome_One
10-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Your forgetting one thing Orton doesnt sell for non-veterans, personally I would prefer a face turn for Christian since he his Heel run has been really weak, and a Rhodes VS Christian fued

steveorton
10-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Your forgetting one thing Orton doesnt sell for non-veterans, personally I would prefer a face turn for Christian since he his Heel run has been really weak, and a Rhodes VS Christian fued

I like heel Christian better face Christian for some reason and I feel if he goes back to face WWE will use him to get the younger guys over by jobbing him out.

rss3004
10-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Have Cody go over Orton on Smackdown cleanly and have Cody attack Booker leading into a feud.

machoo mann
10-05-2011, 01:36 PM
You make some good points,a fresh new(or old skool in this case) look for the IC title is an interesting take,and hopefully it's a sign of the times and an indication of the title becoming important again. I also think having a former world champ feuding with Rhodes is also a great idea. You've had many main eventers go back go the IC and US title and not lose a step or any main event sizzle.

Whether Orton is the guy to do it is a touchy issue. One the one hand,I've really been impressed with Orton's work ethic and his willingness to put over and work with guys like Christian,Henry,Rhodes and Sheamus, it shows a great deal of maturity in him and gives his character alot more depth and respect,something missing from others(*ahem*CENA) so maybe he wouldn't be bad in a feud with Rhodes,they definitely have good in-ring chemistry.
On the other hand,I think Orton's reached that level where he doesn't need to be in the title picture. He had 2 matches with Henry,now the Conspiracy storyline seems to be the highest priority, I think Orton should feature more prominently in that storyline rather than dominate another title. The look of the title is another issue,its a beautiful belt but looks a little too gawdy for Orton,especially with his badass viper image,maybe a Morrison push on Smackdown against Cody would work? The belt would look good on Del Rio as well,with his all white attire. I also think having the IC title as a major belt again would be awesome. I dunno,maybe he can take the belt off Rhodes,then lose it @ the next PPV in an awesome ladder match or something,isn't TLC coming up?

you sir, made some great points of your own! I agree that Orton might not be "the" guy to be used as a sacrificial lamb to get Cody and the title over. Theres not so many face main eventers at SD! and I think that the Orton/Henry fued doesn't bring much to the table matchwise (mainly because of Henry and his stiff moveset)

I believe that Cody should hold the title until WM at least. Just a nice, lenghty title reign adds prestige to the title. Until that I could see Cody fueding with Orton but with Orton being the top dog @ SmackDown! wouldn't that elevate IC title as the number one competed title in the brand? I really wouldn't mind if SmackDowns WHC would be competed at undercard of the PPV's, especially when Henry is the champion. Cody has done a great job with his cartoonish gimmick and this whole IC campaign going on is nothing but awesome. With good booking IC title could rise to the glory it once had.

ps. I never thought of the title not fitting to Ortons current look, nice point!

Asherdelampyr
10-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Let Rhodes go through beating every previous IC title holder that is still on the roster
at WM have him face, and go over Chris Jericho for the IC title.

machoo mann
10-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Let Rhodes go through beating every previous IC title holder that is still on the roster

would be great place for a Jericho face-turn

steveorton
10-05-2011, 01:53 PM

Jericho vs Rhodes at WM for the IC title is a very good idea. Only problem is that I don't what to wait that long :)

Asherdelampyr
10-05-2011, 01:54 PM
would be great place for a Jericho face-turn

indeed, and Jericho is more than willing to help get the younger guys over. It's win-win
at the end of it, the IC belt is a coveted prize again, and Cody looks like he is ready for the big-time

Y2Jryder
10-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Give to wrestler a good feud for the IC title. Maybe some more Triple threat or fatal 4 way matches with a good build up.

tupelojoe81
10-05-2011, 02:55 PM
by the way, does anyone else kind of cringe when cody performs "cross rhodes"? It's a hell of a move.

Asherdelampyr
10-05-2011, 03:05 PM
by the way, does anyone else kind of cringe when cody performs "cross rhodes"? It's a hell of a move.

I like it, it looks good and very painful

AOF666
10-05-2011, 04:26 PM
It is a bad idea to have Cody to feud with Orton. Orton buries everyone in a feud. Look at his last 2 feuds, he buried both Punk and Christian. So how is it going to be any different. Unless Cody beats Orton clean and keeps the title.

Asherdelampyr
10-05-2011, 04:30 PM
It is a bad idea to have Cody to feud with Orton. Orton buries everyone in a feud. Look at his last 2 feuds, he buried both Punk and Christian. So how is it going to be any different. Unless Cody beats Orton clean and keeps the title.

no he didn't, he just won that feud
there is a difference
also, he put over Mark Henry rather well just 3 days ago

tupelojoe81
10-05-2011, 04:48 PM
also, he put over Mark Henry rather well just 3 days ago

and Orton still looked strong after putting him over.......

Asherdelampyr
10-05-2011, 04:55 PM
and Orton still looked strong after putting him over.......

which means that it was well done on both ends

daverende5
10-05-2011, 05:10 PM
My opinion, he's 26 and now already a solid performer, can't wait how he's going to be in the future. (Do you guys think that he is a future, very future HOF'er? I do)

Asherdelampyr
10-05-2011, 05:13 PM
My opinion, he's 26 and now already a solid performer, can't wait how he's going to be in the future. (Do you guys think that he is a future, very future HOF'er? I do)
He absolutely has the HOF chance written all over him, that is part of what makes him such a good candidate to bring the prestige back to the belt.

AreYaSerious
10-05-2011, 09:55 PM
I feel Christian vs Rhodes would be a lot better for now, then push it down to Orton. Maybe even start of with Barrett, then Christian.

SLEEPY LOCO1
10-05-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm not that big on Cody Rhodes, but he is a great wrestler and only getting better. IMO he is making the IC title mean something again. I was kinda happy to see him bring back the white IC belt.

I also saw this on the main news page and thought this would be fucking awesome,

-- Goldust continues to tease his return to the ring and a potential feud with brother Intercontinental Champion Cody Rhodes: “On any given day i can have my ic title back…..for now i wait for the opportune time…patience my young padiwans”

They could have a epic feud, and maybe they can even have Dusty involved somehow!

Asherdelampyr
10-06-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm not that big on Cody Rhodes, but he is a great wrestler and only getting better. IMO he is making the IC title mean something again. I was kinda happy to see him bring back the white IC belt.

I also saw this on the main news page and thought this would be fucking awesome,

They could have a epic feud, and maybe they can even have Dusty involved somehow!
that would be an awesome feud. brother against brother always seems to sell well

Polly-Pablo
10-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Keep the belt on Cody.....lol

No seriously, keep it on him for a substantial period, a guy whose mannerisms and attire are in honour of old skool wrestling is perfect to try and grab some respect back for this title. Plus, not handing it around to every Tom, Dick and Harry may help too. Have a top level guy, who can't get in the race for the big one, compete for this....making it an important belt again...

I'm sure someone has already said this, but this is what Polly thinks....

Anything else is just monkey balls