PDA

View Full Version : john cena is no longer number 1

drempunk
10-03-2011, 02:14 PM
according to sources cm punk has overtaken john cena in merchandise sales this is the first time in 5 years what does this mean for cm punk and cena as far as the future goes

Tommy Thunder
10-03-2011, 02:22 PM
I don't think it means anything.
I mean, it's not as if WWE are going to make Punk the face of the company and relegate Cena to the no.2 spot!!

But honestly, the high on Punk will drop eventually. Punk will turn heel again at some point in the future (not in the near future, since he has the fans behind him now), and Cena isn't. As soon as that happens, Cena will be back as no.1.
Pains me to say this, but that's the way I see it.

Bodom
10-03-2011, 02:43 PM
According to whom? Where did you read this?

Y2Jryder
10-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Source?????

Tommy Thunder
10-03-2011, 02:48 PM
According to whom? Where did you read this?

Source?????

Kev posted a quote on another thread, but he didn't say where the information came from either. But since 2 guys posted it, I'm assuming it's been reported somewhere.

drempunk
10-03-2011, 02:50 PM
i found this on wrestlezone.com

ryanator
10-03-2011, 02:54 PM
I think in order to keep Punk fresh, and keep him from getting stale, is they shouldnt keep him as a face. Just read he shook hands with Cena after HIAC. Dont turn him into Orton! Cheesy face... To keep their top 3 relevant and fresh, they should have them constantly bicker with each other (ex: Stone Cold, Rock, HHH). During their primes, they werent buddy buddies. They never got stale. WWE should learn from this.

BlazersDozen
I find it interesting how in today's WWE merch sales determine your spot in the company.

Bodom
lol wrestlezone.

That "news" place is more full of shit than the sites Clarky boy runs.

Subject Zero
10-03-2011, 02:56 PM
I find it interesting how in today's WWE merch sales determine your spot in the company.

Ever heard of Hulk Hogan?

Subject Zero
10-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Hulk Hogan reaching the top had much more to it then selling shirts.

Yes but the main reason was because he sold everyone had a Hulk Hogan piece of merchandise. Look at Stone Cold he wasnt the top guy then his stuff sold then he became number 1. Same thing with The Rock.

Merchandise sales have always determined your position in the company. You cant possibly think that Hulk Hogan would of been the number 1 guy in WWE for so long if he didnt sell the merchandise like he did.

rss3004
10-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Yes but the main reason was because he sold everyone had a Hulk Hogan piece of merchandise. Look at Stone Cold he wasnt the top guy then his stuff sold then he became number 1. Same thing with The Rock.

Merchandise sales have always determined your position in the company. You cant possibly think that Hulk Hogan would of been the number 1 guy in WWE for so long if he didnt sell the merchandise like he did.

Its not about selling the most merchandise, but being the most over with the fans. If you are the most over, you will sell the maximum merchandise.

Subject Zero
10-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Its not about selling the most merchandise, but being the most over with the fans. If you are the most over, you will sell the maximum merchandise.

Sorry but CLEARLY if you are over with the fans you will be selling the merchandise.

Subject Zero
10-03-2011, 03:17 PM
What I mean by Hogan doing much more is he wasn't the guys who just sold shirts. He sold out MSG countless times, put asses in seats, and was beloved by the fans. My statement was contrasting Hogan to Punk in terms of what Hogan did more for the WWE and what Punk is doing for the WWE as you seem to think that if you sell merchandise, that's all that matters.

Stone Cold sold good merchandise too BUT he wasn't the top guy just because he sold T-Shirts for the WWE. He put asses in seats and increased the ratings where WWE was at its roughest days, going up against WCW.

My point is not about selling merchandise being important or not but being so much more then just selling merchandise for the WWE. I don't think CM Punk is able to sellout arenas or draw ratings like Hogan or Austin did.

Oh yeah agree about Austin completely it was more about Hogan who was just a big seller who was over.

But again if people are over people will spend money on that wrestler.

Murphdogg4
10-03-2011, 03:20 PM
I remember when jericho sold the most merch in WCW so they rewarded him by keeping him in the mid card.

Subject Zero
10-03-2011, 03:23 PM
I totally agree. I wasn't trying to say that selling merchandise isn't a big deal and doesn't matter. I was just stating why its not enough to be the face of the company, with it being so much more to it.

To have the top selling merchandise it is. If you have that you are made the face or the number 2 face.

zerosystem
10-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Being over and merchandising sales do not always mix. There are guys that are over with the fanbase, but do not push big merchandise sales (Ryder, Morrison, etc). In the end, time is money, and if you're making money, then you get the time in the ring.

SteveButabi
10-03-2011, 03:30 PM
CM Punk will become the new face of WWE. Cena will finally turn heel, grow a jesus beard and start the "5 moves society". Kevin Nash will be the first person to join it.

Rich Cranium
10-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Maybe Otunga should merchandise his bowties and he too will be world champ!

Subject Zero
10-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Yeah but like Murphdogg4 brought up, Chris Jericho sold the most merchandise in WCW. Even though he was selling a lot of merchandise, I highly doubt he would have been the face of WCW no matter how much shirts he sold. The same goes for DX who sold more then Cena with their merchandise. It doesn't mean they were the faces of the WWE.

I was talking about WWE not WCW.

Well if you have a look back at when DX was reformed they got alot of main events and i believe more promo time then John Cena

Subject Zero
10-03-2011, 03:51 PM
I know you weren't talking about WCW. I was just using Jericho to support my point.

Yeah, DX was put in some main events. Though they were mainly used to get the younger talents over.

And at the same time got main event time, got screen time and got titles. And they became the faces of the company alongside Cena at that time. DX was used in advertisement and i think DX were on every other PPV poster that year.

Subject Zero
10-03-2011, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't say they were the faces of the company because at the time, Batista and John Cena were the faces of the WWE. DX was just two vets who entertained the hell out of the fans and helped the younger talent get over with those young talents being Randy Orton and The Spirit Squad.

I would argue that they really made the careers of Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBase Jr.

Randy Orton was already Main Eventing or a higher midcard at that time.

pauadrian
10-03-2011, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't say they were the faces of the company because at the time, Batista and John Cena were the faces of the WWE. DX was just two vets who entertained the hell out of the fans and helped the younger talent get over with those young talents being Randy Orton and The Spirit Squad.

that dx was the time thy were faces of the company
funny dx that put over talent was 2010 dx

Y2J___Y2J
10-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Ahhh yes but out of the entire time they've both been there.. how much more crap has Cena sold than Punk

AreYaSerious
10-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Okay Cena you are no longer our top seller, you're fired.