PDA

View Full Version : How is this helping the WWE Title?

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-02-2011, 10:14 PM
All dates are in month-day-year format.

John Cena beats The Miz: 05-01-11
CM Punk beats John Cena: 07-17-11
Rey Mysterio beats The Miz: 07-25-11 (honestly forgot that happened)
John Cena beats Rey Mysterio: 07-25-11
Alberto Del Rio beats CM Punk: 08-14-11
John Cena beats Alberto Del Rio: 09-18-11
Alberto Del Rio beats John Cena (and CM Punk): 10-02-11

7 title changes in a day over 5 months
4 reigns that have been 14 days or less
1 reign that lasted for 1 hour
The Miz had the longest title reign (November 2010-May 2011) since HHH (April 2008-November 2008)

I really could go on about the WWE Title over the last 5 years but you can looks for yourself here: http://www.wwe.com/inside/titlehistory/wwechampionship

What has this hot potato of the title done for the value of is?
Is it worth anymore than the gold it is made out of? (which is a lot these days)

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Interesting note from the link: Officially on 10-7-07 there was 3 title changes in one night when Orton won a vacated title, minutes later loses it to HHH, only to regain the title that same night. I don't understand why they need to count it 3 times.

capn-edu
10-02-2011, 10:17 PM

The Miz had the longest title reign (November 2010-May 2011) since HHH (April 2008-November 2008)

I really could go on about the WWE Title over the last 5 years but you can looks for yourself here: http://www.wwe.com/inside/titlehistory/wwechampionship

Is it worth anymore than the gold it is made out of? (which is a lot these days)

Interesting note from the link: Officially on 10-7-07 there was 3 title changes in one night when HHH won a vacated title, minutes later loss it to Orton, only to reign the title again that same night. I don't understand why they need to count it 3 times.

They hired Russo's brilliant brother

but with all seriousness
is bad man i was actually hoping Cena retained
but yet im not the owner of a multi million company :/

IrkenInvader
10-02-2011, 10:17 PM
It doesn't help. It destroys the legacy. The only reason I can think of is to have Cena beltwhore enough to surpass Flair.

THEKEVINBRAND
10-02-2011, 10:18 PM
This is actually making Russo's booking look like pure gold

Tommy Thunder
10-02-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm hoping they give Del Rio a decent run with the strap now. He's been waiting for a while, and his first WWE title reign never took off. Let's see him keep it for a while now.

zapphoman
10-02-2011, 10:20 PM
It doesn't help. It destroys the legacy. The only reason I can think of is to have Cena beltwhore enough to surpass Flair.

Agreed. That is like with that interesting thing about the link. Randy Orton winning the title twice in one night. It is just a way to get credit for multiple title runs. I mean come on how many times has Randy Orton and John Cena held the titles now? And they are still in their primes.

Daffy Duck's Finest
10-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Could we see a PPV in the near future without Orton & Cena in a title match?

Surely not!

THEKEVINBRAND
10-02-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm hoping they give Del Rio a decent run with the strap now. He's been waiting for a while, and his first WWE title reign never took off. Let's see him keep it for a while now.

Don't jump the gun too quick Vengeance is coming in three weeks so we can see Cena's 11th reign or like Irk said the beltwhore era.

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Don't jump the gun too quick Vengeance is coming in three weeks so we can see Cena's 11th reign or like Irk said the beltwhore era.

And you know he is going to get his rematch because "he didn't even get pinned."

mika009
10-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I can name from memory who beat who for the wwe title and at what event from when Hogan beat the Iron Sheik until Stone Cold beat Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 14. Since then the belt changed so fast and so often it's impossible to remember them all.

THEKEVINBRAND
10-02-2011, 10:26 PM
And you know he is going to get his rematch because "he didn't even get pinned."

We already predicted the outcome of the main event of the next PPV

VanHooliganX
10-02-2011, 10:28 PM
But everyone loves 2 week long reigns!!! [/stupidity]

Since The Miz lost the championship its gone bizarre. Del Rio should keep it from now on or this is going to get daft.

ihearvoices
10-02-2011, 10:34 PM

Interesting note from the link: Officially on 10-7-07 there was 3 title changes in one night when Orton won a vacated title, minutes later loses it to HHH, only to regain the title that same night. I don't understand why they need to count it 3 times.

In all honestly I dont see how the title Changing hands every other month makes the title less valuable. I mean if that's true then the Championship titles in Boxing Means nothing at all because those changes hands alot. I think what makes the title valuable is the guy holding it & the matches that are held for it. As far as how many times it change hands WWE will never make everyone happy some people like when the title changes hands every other month some people like when someone holds the title for 3 months or 6. All i can say is Would you rather the title Change hands so guys like CM punk and ADR can get a chance at winning it or would you rather WWE go back to the old days when Guys like Hogan held the title for a full year and then dropped it only to win it again and hold it another year.

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-02-2011, 10:35 PM
We already predicted the outcome of the main event of the next PPV

Do we get extra points in Automatics' prediction contest now?

THEKEVINBRAND
10-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Do we get extra points in Automatics' prediction contest now?

I've never entered but i think with that, we already won lol

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-02-2011, 10:39 PM
In all honestly I dont see how the title Changing hands every other month makes the title less valuable. I mean if that's true then the Championship titles in Boxing Means nothing at all because those changes hands alot. I think what makes the title valuable is the guy holding it & the matches that are held for it. As far as how many times it change hands WWE will never make everyone happy some people like when the title changes hands every other month some people like when someone holds the title for 3 months or 6. All i can say is Would you rather the title Change hands so guys like CM punk and ADR can get a chance at winning it or would you rather WWE go back to the old days when Guys like Hogan held the title for a full year and then dropped it only to win it again and hold it another year.

Well the whole point of long reigns is to establish stronger champions. When strong champions hold the belt it increases value (obviously). From my point of view when people drop the title two weeks after they get it makes it seem like no one is good enough to hold on to it. I am not saying we need year-long runs but can we at least get a 2-3 month one? If Punk held the belt beating everyone for 3-4 months it would take him to a whole higher level. Did he really gain anything for winning the belt for 45 seconds? Did ADR?

thetheme
10-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Even though I agree with this, there would have been another thread if Cena would have won tonight.

Sometimes it's not about how many times it changes hands, it's about who's holding the title. If Cena has it people don't like it. If he is challenging for it people get pissed. If he wins the title people get furious.

So what is the solution here that would be suitable for WWE business? Have Cena Keep the belt and never lose it? Or having him cough it up to other people? He isn't leaving the main event scene no matter if we like it or not.

Since people still watch, it's not hurting the WWE. Even though I agree with what you are saying about the legacy of the title, it is what it is.

ihearvoices
10-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Well the whole point of long reigns is to establish stronger champions. When strong champions hold the belt it increases value (obviously). From my point of view when people drop the title two weeks after they get it makes it seem like no one is good enough to hold on to it. I am not saying we need year-long runs but can we at least get a 2-3 month one? If Punk held the belt beating everyone for 3-4 months it would take him to a whole higher level. Did he really gain anything for winning the belt for 45 seconds? Did ADR?

Championships dont make legends...Guys become Legends by great matches and Promos. There are a bunch of guys who have held the title for months and now they are nobodies. So again how long someone holds the title really doesnt do much as people try to make it out to be.

evilgenius780
10-02-2011, 10:49 PM
This is exactly why I honestly don't care who the champion is anymore, it is so completely irrelevant. I just forget about the titles and focus on the matches.

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Championships dont make legends...Guys become Legends by great matches and Promos.
Agreed 100%

There are a bunch of guys who have held the title for months and now they are nobodies. So again how long someone holds the title really doesnt do much as people try to make it out to be.

But these nobodies are constantly beating the greats to the point where everyone is on the same level in today's WWE. The belt does not make the man but the man makes the belt. With all this back and forth with the belt, no one new is really taking that next step. It seems like everyone is just stuck in the limbo of upper-mid card besides Cena and Orton. The WWE Champ is supposed to be the best wrestler in the company hands down but now it just doesn't seem that way anymore. That's what I mean by the decrease in value.

capn-edu
10-02-2011, 11:07 PM

Im against this actually
i was rooting for Cena to retain but oh well
and del rio is so over seen he ain't "it"

THEKEVINBRAND
10-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Im against this actually
i was rooting for Cena to retain but oh well
and del rio is so over seen he ain't "it"

I was rooting for CM Punk! Cena's had his time in the title picture way too many times

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Even though I agree with this, there would have been another thread if Cena would have won tonight.

Sometimes it's not about how many times it changes hands, it's about who's holding the title. If Cena has it people don't like it. If he is challenging for it people get pissed. If he wins the title people get furious.

So what is the solution here that would be suitable for WWE business? Have Cena Keep the belt and never lose it? Or having him cough it up to other people? He isn't leaving the main event scene no matter if we like it or not.

Since people still watch, it's not hurting the WWE. Even though I agree with what you are saying about the legacy of the title, it is what it is.

At the end of the day it is what it is. Maybe it is just our short attention spans as a society or the WWE not wanting to piss anyone off. I guess I am a traditionalist when it comes to the belt. I like a good solid run for at least a few months. I personally don't care if it Cena or not. It is just that today the amount of times Cena and Orton won really negates Flair's record. I mean I can live with them closing in if they had good runs, but a to win the belt 2 or 3 times in a 6 month span just doesn't sit right with me.

Peter Kaymakcian
10-03-2011, 12:11 AM
This is one thing TNA does do better then WWE. TNA until Immortal did a good job of letting their champions keep the title long enough to make them look like legitimate champions.

For those of you saying belts don't make legends promos and matches do well honestly you are one hundred percent wrong. Most of the greatest feuds you've seen in WWE, TNA, and ROH has revolved around the World Championship because calling yourself the World Champion makes you the best in the world. If the title isn't prestegious who would want to win it?

Tommy Thunder
10-03-2011, 12:13 AM

I'm not getting my hopes up, it's just that's what I'd like to happen.

wwe=awesome
10-03-2011, 12:22 AM
it's all part of the storyline on how chaotic the wwe is now with triple h in charge, dont be to worried

Poot-Hair
10-03-2011, 12:45 AM
At the end of the day it is what it is. Maybe it is just our short attention spans as a society or the WWE not wanting to piss anyone off. I guess I am a traditionalist when it comes to the belt. I like a good solid run for at least a few months. I personally don't care if it Cena or not. It is just that today the amount of times Cena and Orton won really negates Flair's record. I mean I can live with them closing in if they had good runs, but a to win the belt 2 or 3 times in a 6 month span just doesn't sit right with me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this all day long^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

URATOOL
10-03-2011, 01:07 AM

Oh dear God. If Cena had retained there would have been bitching. The lock out of Cena was a good twist. No one predicted that. So that left ADR and Punk in the ring. Oh and look, the Mexican tour is coming up in a week or so. With Rey out and the Caras no where near title contention it was a no brainer.

Could we see a PPV in the near future without Orton & Cena in a title match?

Surely not!

Next PPV is 3 weeks away. With no build up time Cena's rematch will be at Vengence and there is every chance a Henry Orton match will be on as well.

Eeeeeerrrrrrrr Every losing champ gets a rematch. Pinned or not.

I can name from memory who beat who for the wwe title and at what event from when Hogan beat the Iron Sheik until Stone Cold beat Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 14. Since then the belt changed so fast and so often it's impossible to remember them all.

If you seriously had memorised all those title holder and changes then you really need to get out more.

evilgenius780
10-03-2011, 01:42 AM

agreed, at least a few months, the odd short reign here and there isn't so bad, but it seems like a constant, they can pad peoples title win stats as much as they want..20 reigns in todays day and age mean nothing compared to 5 when Hogan, Hart, Austin, did it.

Jags
10-03-2011, 02:48 AM
I'm hoping it's going to change now because there have been rumors for a CM Punk / Del Rio feud, I hope this is a long lasting feud over the belt. Del Rio is not my favorite superstar, but I'm willing to give him another shot.

BIGZrudypoo812
10-03-2011, 03:02 AM
ADR is now a 2 time WWE Champ in only 3 weeks lol god how bad can it get so i guess the politics are like this:
"ok Cena your gonna win it then ADR will win it back, then you will win it back in 2 weeks and then CM Punk will win it after you have it for 2 weeks then we can have Another triple threat match and ADR can win it back then you win it back after 3 weeks THEN you get fired again then we will have a a big tournament on Raw the next week and will throw a dart at a board and i will hit either CM Punk ADR or Orton then they will lose it to you the next week and then we start the whole process over"

captainmoonlight
10-03-2011, 03:46 AM
Think Im going to have to disagree with most on this on three fronts

- would it not be boring to have every new champion to hold the title for ages
- this fits with the current storyline off hhh wwe being a shambles
- there will be a time like November last year where the title will stay with someone for a few months, probably leading to wm.

el gabo
10-03-2011, 07:14 AM
If he had won (Cena), you would have been pissed off too. What is your perfect solution to this problem (How would you have booked it?) I'm curious because I know many other are bitching that ADR won.

I get that people think lengthy reigns are the only way to make a title prestigious. I think it does help solidify a wrestler as it did to the Miz, but come on! Cena is NO LONGER THE CHAMPION. Isn't that what everyone wanted?

If you stick it in, they scream. If you take it out, they yell.

zapphoman
10-03-2011, 09:59 AM
If he had won (Cena), you would have been pissed off too. What is your perfect solution to this problem (How would you have booked it?) I'm curious because I know many other are bitching that ADR won.

I get that people think lengthy reigns are the only way to make a title prestigious. I think it does help solidify a wrestler as it did to the Miz, but come on! Cena is NO LONGER THE CHAMPION. Isn't that what everyone wanted?

If you stick it in, they scream. If you take it out, they yell.

I'm happy about Cena not being the Champion. It's just we know he is going to get it back unless he takes some time off. And with Survivor Series that won't be happening. I'm happy that Del Rio is Champion, I just hope they let him keep it for more than three weeks.

Juvenile Junkie
10-04-2011, 06:16 AM
No wonder the Miz was the most must see WWE champion in years,because after he jobbed to Cena its been a hot potato.

WWE are marking the 10 year demise of WCW by pulling a WCW on the WWE title.

Sully
10-04-2011, 08:57 AM

I actually couldn't care less if Del Rio had a good run or not. I also could care less about the strap being changed so much, I don't look at it as a big deal. Del Rio hasn't been waiting THAT long. The guy has only been in the WWE for about a year...there are people who haven't even gotten shots at it yet, who deserve it more then Del Rio does.

Has the belt, ever meant something? I mean when you think about it...it's really pointless either way. People complained when Cena held it for nearly a year...and then they complain when the title is changing too quickly? Make up your damn minds people.

Juvenile Junkie
10-04-2011, 10:43 AM
I actually couldn't care less if Del Rio had a good run or not. I also could care less about the strap being changed so much, I don't look at it as a big deal. Del Rio hasn't been waiting THAT long. The guy has only been in the WWE for about a year...there are people who haven't even gotten shots at it yet, who deserve it more then Del Rio does.

Has the belt, ever meant something? I mean when you think about it...it's really pointless either way. People complained when Cena held it for nearly a year...and then they complain when the title is changing too quickly? Make up your damn minds people.

I would say 4 title reigns a year seems reasonable.Not a new champ each month

jethro
10-04-2011, 11:01 AM
This title change each month has been went on for years in WWE,no more series of successful title defenses,no more long title reign...it's the thing of the past now.

evilgenius780
10-06-2011, 05:32 PM
I would say 4 title reigns a year seems reasonable.Not a new champ each month

4 years is a lot in todays day and age, they have a lot more shows then they did when title reigns lasted this long, but a new champ each month in any era is too much, JBL has a solid reign at 10 months if I remember correctly, it adds so much to the excitment when it actually changes hands.